Home
I did a salmon boat fishing trip to Canada years ago. We were trolling using reels the guides provided that looked like a fly reel.

Here’s a picture of something similar-

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I guess they call them a “Spooler Reel” or “Mooching Reel”

Reel needs to be saltwater rated. Handle line up to 45lbs.

Would spend up to $350 per reel.

Anyone know who makes a good reel for trolling salmon in this design?

Gracious.

Beave

😎

Tag for Roger

😎
$119.99 at FishUSA for that exact reel. Google mooching reel.
A few on EBay right now. Search for Shimano Moocher
👍🏻
😎
I used one of those on a guided fishing trip in Canada. I hooked a salmon of just over 30 lbs. and the nut that holds the spool on fell off. Then the spool fell off. I played the fish with my fingers squeezing the line providing the drag. The guide found the nut and put the spool back on while I fought the salmon.

I eventually brought the fish to the net but had a number of white burn lines on my fingers.
Originally Posted by doubletap
I used one of those on a guided fishing trip in Canada. I hooked a salmon of just over 30 lbs. and the nut that holds the spool on fell off. Then the spool fell off. I played the fish with my fingers squeezing the line providing the drag. The guide found the nut and put the spool back on while I fought the salmon.

I eventually brought the fish to the net but had a number of white burn lines on my fingers.

Yeah, that was my experience too with these reels....Loved the action!

Grins

😎
I used similar reels off the coast on BC. Caught lots of salmon up to 30 pounds. They worked great.
Thinking I could easily run 60lb - 65lb braid on these reels and be good2go.

😎
Dey da bomb Beav. I've got a couple downstairs, Diawas are popular too. Look up Islander reels if you want a case of sticker shock!
Personally, I don't see the need to go real high end for these single action mooching reels, they're as simple as it gets. As long as they've got stainless bearings and or otherwise up for salt water use they're awful hard to kill. Trust me. LOL
Salt,

I did find my way to the Islander Reels...No kidding, them reels are moocho expensive!

I will settle on a couple in a lower price range. Need to get a couple of decent boat rods for them as well.

😎
Right on then you'll be set. Just don't let them live up to their nickname of knucklebusters the first time a big spring takes off on you! BTDT
I sometimes use them for trolling for lake trout, and they are completely trouble free.

Ted
I have a few of the Tyees QR by Trophy. Not an islander but a good reel.
https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop/fishing/staff-picks/danes-favourites/trophy/
What’s the draw over a good conventional like the smaller Avets or a good sized Calcutta?
Hello Beaver10. This style of reel is the most fun you can have salmon fishing. They take a little bit to get used to compared to a level wind and aren't the best for kids or inexperienced fishermen but you've obviously used them so would do fine. I've been using Amundson TMX5 moochers for the past 4 years and really like the reels. They're smooth, have a good drag system and have been trouble free. Just give them a rinse with freshwater after a day on the salt and at the end of the season I take them apart and clean and oil/grease them.

I've also been using a Rapala Shift this season and so far been happy with it. It's got a cork drag like the Islanders but unlike the Islanders have no issues with line creep. That's where the drag has a tendency to let line out gradually while you're trolling. It's a PITA. The Amundson has no issues with that either.

I either run straight 25-30 pound Maxima Ultra green but prefer 65 pound braid and a topshot of 30-40 pound mono. I like the braid for winter fishing where we target the Chinook (blackmouths) down deep on the bottom in anywhere from 80-200 feet of water. You don't get the blowback with the braid like you do mono but you need the topshot of mono to hook the downrigger clip. The braids slippery and the clip won't hold it. I put on about 50'.

For the Fraser mouth fishery that's going on now mono is great and more forgiving as it has a little give to it but the topshot helps with that as well. The braid is also nice as it's really sensitive and you can detect when you pick up the little 10 inch "shakers" which are juvenile salmon. It's a personal preference but most people use mono.

As far as rods go I love my Shimano Techniums in medium-heavy and 10'6". They're a fantastic rod and have the backbone for the big fish but have really sensitive tips. When a seal grabs your salmon which they do regularly you also have a fighting chance of at least getting your gear back.

I have no personal experience with Calvins recommendation but have a buddy that just bought one and really likes it so far and the price is right.

Anyways, I hope this has been of some use to you. Best of luck.

Scott
Originally Posted by Calvin
I have a few of the Tyees QR by Trophy. Not an islander but a good reel.

I think if you're a serious fisherman the islanders are worth the extra dollars. I have 2 islanders and 2 islanders salt water fly reels
Fugging Beaver10 wouldn't even invite a guy to fish with him.

No reach around I guess.....
Yo Beav' nothing against your preference for weird ff look-alikes but you ever decide that there may be other easily obtainable, inexpensive conventional alternatives easily able to handle your needs as far as power, line capacity and intended use, G-FU up TLD-25. wink
Leave it to a Jap to make absolutely zero (ha!) fugging sense.....
I speak "Fishing" and understood Kamo! LOL

Seriously, never understood the popularity of those reels as compared to Levelwinds.....hell, I'd even take a big Spinning reel before a Mooching reel....LOL
Alvey is another good brand. Australian made.

And they even make them with an anti-reverse. Or did. I don't follow their line too closely, but have several.

Appreciate the link Calvin.

😎
Cool and thanks, Scott.

Appreciate the info.

😎
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Yo Beav' nothing against your preference for weird ff look-alikes but you ever decide that there may be other easily obtainable, inexpensive conventional alternatives easily able to handle your needs as far as power, line capacity and intended use, G-FU up TLD-25. wink

Kamo, but then he wouldn't be a moocher !

Hope your lovely lady is looking after you ?
Originally Posted by TheKid
What’s the draw over a good conventional like the smaller Avets or a good sized Calcutta?

Other than simplicity and price I think its that you've got excellent feel and control by setting the drag fairly loose and using your hand on the bottom of the reel for brakes (palming the reel). If you're mooching or bottom fishing you flick a switch and the reel's brake is disengaged and it free falls and you very lightly palm it so it doesn't race ahead and make a big tangled bird's nest. And you feel everything with your palm, light strikes on the way down, fouled lure etc. And for fighting a big one, same thing use a bit of the reel's brake but palm it constantly as it runs ... excellent control this way. They're great for trolling too you get the rod set up on the down rigger and play with the simple set screw in the middle of the reel to get the tension just so, much easier to get right than a level wind I find, which I've got a few of them. The guides love them because its almost impossible for a newb to fug anything up, I'd say 80 or 90% of salmon fishing on the ocean is done with these simple single action style reels around here.

This is the one that pretty much started the style almost 100 years ago. I've still got one, pleased to see they actually still sell them! The Shimano's , Trohphies , Diawas , Islanders are all pretty much just an improved version of the old Peetz

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I fish for trout, salmon, and steelhead quite a bit with my centerpin. Not as efficient as a spinning or baitcasting setup, but a lot of fun. Those mooching setups are great for trolling also.
© 24hourcampfire