Home
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
Just watched the first show of wild boar fever XI....Neil Davies from Hornady was shooting a semi auto but I dont see any Semis on Sauers website....any idea what it was?
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
Sauer makes/ made one....303.
Dunno if theres a newer one. Lemme check.

Euro site still shows model 303 listed
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
Not familiar with the episode. But being european location possible could be a benelli R1. Looks like a Sauer stylewise.

R1
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
Looks like the 303 ...wonder what chambering. Interesting to see the Frenchman shooting a 9.3x62....little stout for a rifle that might be shot quickly for follow-ups.
Love the show for the decadence and privilege and the ...."if i win the lottery" aspect
....and them boys can shoot!
Posted By: hanco Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
It doesn’t take much to kill feral hogs if that is what they were hunting
Id like a merkel helix alpinist. smile
Originally Posted by hanco

Youtube it dude, they ain poppin razorbacks
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
you think you need magnum calibers to kill those boars they are shooting? Or did I read what you posted wrong hookeye

They prefer larger calibers on driven hunts as insurance for shooting moving animals where poor shot placement easily happens

I didn’t see any boars that a 223 or 243 couldn’t have killed easily with good shooting.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Killed a few myself with 243. Never given me any grief.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by hanco

Youtube it dude, they ain poppin razorbacks

30-06 be just fine with a 150 Barnes
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
have a friend in belgium, likes to shoot them with a m1 garand.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
CB Shorts.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
have a friend in belgium, likes to shoot them with a m1 garand.

I was thinking a Garand would be great for that. I lucked out on an all correct H&R for 600.00 from a guy at work. I load 150 partitions with H-4895 for mine. I’ve killed several feral pigs with it.

Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
Originally Posted by kevinJ
you think you need magnum calibers to kill those boars they are shooting? Or did I read what you posted wrong hookeye

They prefer larger calibers on driven hunts as insurance for shooting moving animals where poor shot placement easily happens

I didn’t see any boars that a 223 or 243 couldn’t have killed easily with good shooting.

Killed a few myself with 243. Never given me any grief.

I think I did, maybe.

Driven mixed-game "circle" hunt, early '80s just a bit north of Bavaria... guy next to me took a big boar just after it broke out, and they needed a tractor with a bucket to retrieve it. I think I remember somebody saying it'd probably go 500.... er... somethings. Dunno if they might have said kilos (which would be really serious), or maybe they translated to pounds for my benefit. It was a big sucker, though. Initially was gonna break out of the circle between me and tHAT next guy... but the the boar took a bit of a turn and went out on that hunter's other side so I didn't get a chance for a shot.

I was using a .308 BLR '81 at the time, I expect it would have worked fine. Can't remember what the successful hunter was using, but the 9.3x62 and the 7x64 were both common at the time.

Lots o' excitement, at the time. That was the same time I was almost -- literally -- run over by a Reh doe breaking out of the circle. She missed me by approximately 6 inches, not sure she ever even noticed that I wasn't a tree... Reh doe weren't on the plan that day, though, so no shots fired... but the situation did very much get my attention!

-Chris
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
Liebchen throws a ball at 20 to the pound! If more is needed then it’s up to the ol’ Schweinfanger!!!!!

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Liebchen throws a ball at 20 to the pound! If more is needed then it’s up to the ol’ Schweinfanger!!!!!

Exactly! .62 caliber ball backed up by 120 gr ffg will do what needs doin’. Besides shooting more than once is just silly
Posted By: TheKid Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]Indianed up on this one to about 40 yards. Good thing I had a cannon that day. 25gr Hornady HP @4100 blew his mind.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
I think they said they used a lot of 270's with hornady super performance ammo
They drop a lot of them on the move.
But then they practice that stuff.

Seem to do a pretty good job at it.
Not like theyre rubes getting a tag at walmart
Posted By: TheKid Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
Pigs are the best thing I’ve ever found for running game shooting practice. Main reason is opportunity, I can shoot as many as I want, year around. Take a while to get good when I can only shoot 4 deer a year with a rifle.

Pretty fun to sneak up on a sounder with 12-15 pigs rooting around and cut loose on them. Best I ever did was 9 in a bunch with an AR 15 and 7 with a 1903 Springfield for the boltgun record.
Posted By: Dom Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/08/20
They use typical European rifles, Sauer, Blaser, and Mausers in standard calibers, 30-06 popular, as well as the 7 & 8x57, 9,3x62 etc. I have been on many drive hunts and have shot many boar, I typically used a Blaser R93 in 300 WinMag or 9,3x62. Like noted above, to limit wounding and wasting time searching for them with marginal hits. They do a lot of practice on the range, shooting Running Boar.

The actual drive hunt is often hit or miss depending on stand location, I mean, often you see nothing while your neighbor shoots 5 boar, etc. But, many times I was on the "hit" location, lol, and I sure do miss it!

Here's a clip of how Running Boar is shot, this from the 2015 German Nationals, and I was fortunate to shoot a perfect score, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Posted By: hanco Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/09/20
An AR with 62 Barnes would be ideal. It will punch through both shoulders of a 200 lb pig at 200 yards.
Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by Dom
They use typical European rifles, Sauer, Blaser, and Mausers in standard calibers, 30-06 popular, as well as the 7 & 8x57, 9,3x62 etc. I have been on many drive hunts and have shot many boar, I typically used a Blaser R93 in 300 WinMag or 9,3x62. Like noted above, to limit wounding and wasting time searching for them with marginal hits. They do a lot of practice on the range, shooting Running Boar.

Yeah... and there are pigs and then there are pigs. That one pictured just above doesn't look much longer than the rifle... almost approaching more like javelina-size... but then the really large ones are way more biggerer (?) and maybe even longerer (?) than a good size whitetail.

Waidmannsheil!

-Chris
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/09/20
A .22 Long Rifle bullet will kill the biggest White Faced Bull that ever dropped a turd in a pasture!
Posted By: Hastings Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/09/20
From personal experience, .223 works excellent usually. We use them a lot at night for the likely event of getting into 1 or 2 dozen pigs in a bunch. If nothing else you can cripple several and then have the ammo in hand w/o reloading to finish them. Same thing with dog packs. After using .270, the Grendel, .243W etc I still much prefer a .30 aught six for shooting on bait at big pigs. We have some weighing several hundred pounds and have to position 200 to 300 yards away. That 180 SST will reliably do the job in that case.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
A .22 Long Rifle bullet will kill the biggest White Faced Bull that ever dropped a turd in a pasture!

Yeah from about 6" away behind the ear. Lots of difference 50-200 yards away at night. You really should bring a little more horsepower than that.

Now a .223-5.56x45 works great in the head or neck on the biggest of hogs. Used a .243 with 100 grain whatever on 'em at 50-100 yards on the biggest of hogs. Actually, I no longer shoot big boars. I much prefer a 75-150 pound sow or shoat. Boars are nasty. If I shoot one I leave it for the buzzards. They aren't fit to eat. And I usually try to eat what I kill.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/09/20
The only pig I ever had penetration issues on was a big old boar I shot right in the shoulder with a 30/06 and a 180 W-W Silvertip. He was about 200 yards and I hit him right center on the shoulder. He flopped and got up and into the briars before I could hit him again.

The only reason I know where I hit him and what happened was because my cousin caught him with his dogs some time later and knifed him. His buddy who did the knifing wanted a mount so the skinned him. On his left shoulder was a big knot and inside that knot was an expanded 30 caliber bullet, right up against the bone and flattened out to nickel size in diameter and thickness.

Since then I’ve shot them with dozens of cartridge/bullet combos from 17 Remington to 45/70 including 22lr and 22mag. Most of them have been with a 223 and a variety of bullets from 40 to 77 grains. The 223 with a good bullet cuts through them like a knife. I generally shoot them the same place I shoot deer and elk, right in the middle of the shoulder.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
The only pig I ever had penetration issues on was a big old boar I shot right in the shoulder with a 30/06 and a 180 W-W Silvertip. He was about 200 yards and I hit him right center on the shoulder. He flopped and got up and into the briars before I could hit him again.

The only reason I know where I hit him and what happened was because my cousin caught him with his dogs some time later and knifed him. His buddy who did the knifing wanted a mount so the skinned him. On his left shoulder was a big knot and inside that knot was an expanded 30 caliber bullet, right up against the bone and flattened out to nickel size in diameter and thickness.

Since then I’ve shot them with dozens of cartridge/bullet combos from 17 Remington to 45/70 including 22lr and 22mag. Most of them have been with a 223 and a variety of bullets from 40 to 77 grains. The 223 with a good bullet cuts through them like a knife. I generally shoot them the same place I shoot deer and elk, right in the middle of the shoulder.

I've seen 'em shot with .22 center fires and with a good bullet they're plenty. But a .22 LR it's an iffy proposition. A .223 or even a .222 with a 55 grain bullet will smoke the biggest of hogs with good bullet placement. My ex-wife smoked a couple of big hogs with her .243 and an 85 grain Sierra. She shot 'em in the ear hole. They die every time when shot there. My .06, .280, 8x57, and .270 are all death rays on hogs when I manage to put the bullet in a good place and have a good bullet. Hornady Interlocks, Nosler Ballistic Tips, and Sierra Game Kings put Porky to the ground real fast. I shot a big sow with my .250 Savage with a Combined Technologies 115 grain Silver Ballistic Tip in the butt at 120 yards and it went up into the heart-lungs and made a big mess of the plumbing. Put her down in a heart beat. But didn't hardly screw up any meat. I think a .30-06 or .270 with a Nosler Partition would be instant death for the biggest of porky's, If you put the bullet in the right place.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Wild Boar Fever Rifles - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by TheKid

I always enjoy hearing the "30-06 bounced one off of em" stories. They are the best.
© 24hourcampfire