Home
Posted By: CashisKing USPS drama - 09/10/20
Twice in the past week that USPS has contacted me by email... about using improper labels on packages that I have shipped.

In both cases they were absolutely incorrect in their accusation.

The first was a refund claiming I used a small Regional Rate A shipping box instead of the Large Flat Rate box that I actually used to ship 30 desiccant packs across country. They refunded me 12 or so dollars.

The second instance was that they claimed I used a large non USPS box to ship 500 - 6 mm bullets. The label I print it was for a small padded envelope which was more than sufficient for the tiny amount of item shipped. They claim I owe an additional $18.

In the second case the gentleman that received the six mmmm bullets sent me a photograph of the actual label on top of the actual padded envelope as proof that I did not make an error.

Why is any of this important?

Having shipped hundreds of items over many years I have never seen such errors occur before. Something seems very amiss. And it is my conspiracy theory opinion it has everything to do with the upcoming election.

Anyone else experiencing the same type of fiascos.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Break out the tinfoil.

Or it could be they are shipping a gazillion packages and making a % of mistakes.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Clearly, a $12 refund and an $18 surcharge are attempts to throw the presidential election. crazy
Posted By: CashisKing Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Received a message from USPS.

"Due to the coronavirus we are unable to address this matter."
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Break out the tinfoil.

Or it could be they are shipping a gazillion packages and making a % of mistakes.

No tinfoil needed.

Something's up.

I have had huge differences in service in the past month.

Now... Think about having the most important election in our lifetime hinging on USPS now.

No way, man. No way atall.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
My bills are Never late! laugh
Posted By: blindshooter Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
USPS is a long ways from perfect but I'll still trust them over FedEx.
Posted By: sse Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
rain nor sleet nor snow nor dark of night
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Not long ago my mom sent a birthday card to my granddaughter with $20 inside. The apartment number was wrong and it was returned to sender, but not before someone had opened it and removed the $20 mad

Ya I'm sure a mail in ballot will be sacrosanct.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Break out the tinfoil.

Something's up.

I’ve definitely noticed the same. Never had an issue with USPS priority - now in the last two months I’ve had three major issues.
Posted By: joken2 Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20

It's been my experience that the USPS is every bit as unreliable and down right careless as UPS and FedEx. It's fairly common anymore for mail and packages sent via USPS to wind up in someone else's mail box. Was in our local P.O. just last week and watched a customer returning a monthly water bill belonging to someone else that was in delivered to his mail box. We usually get other peoples mail delivered to our mail box several times a year. Waiting on a letter myself now that was supposed to be delivered via USPS 10 days ago.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
I've been using them for several years in my business and have had more problems in the past year than the previous 10. I don't trust them nearly as much as I used to and it bothers me that they are going to participate in this election.
Posted By: RayF Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Ultimately, it depends on the local offices. In NC, UPS was (hands down) the best. That changed (last year) when I moved to PA. Roll reversal. Fedex and the Post Office have been pretty good....until a week ago.

The Post Office lost a scope that is being shipped to me. No email. It only says “Alert” when I attempt to track it and goes on to say my package was “Forwarded” because the address or zip was wrong. Forwarded where? I wrote the shipper and he gave me the address to which it was sent. Its wasn’t wrong.

I called and there automated phone process and it did nothing but confirm it being “Forwarded.” I then used their online customer service form. No email was returned. No phone was made. I went to the local office and they looked it up. They confirmed it was forwarded and said they saw my written submission.

Its been 6 days since that visit. I received 2 generic commentary emails requesting my satisfaction level with the situation. Still waiting.
Posted By: RDW Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I've been using them for several years in my business and have had more problems in the past year than the previous 10. I don't trust them nearly as much as I used to and it bothers me that they are going to participate in this election.

Hey Jim!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Received a message from USPS.

"Due to the coronavirus we are unable to address this matter."

Hahaha!

It even affects internets I guess.

Computer bug?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
I know and trust my local USPS carriers implicitly. The new people (not from around here) I see every time I go to the local PO, not so much. I asked the woman at the counter about USPS Flat Rate prices going up. "OH, when did that happen?" Ummm... You work here. You might have noticed that before I mentioned it ????

In the past month, three packages (two outbound, one inbound) delayed 1 to 3 days each. One inbound letter with payment still AWOL after nearly three weeks. Buyer agreed to send another check...

Do I think there is a conspiracy going on? Not yet... Is their service level quickly degrading? Definitely...
Posted By: RDW Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
I despise the USPS and that should be no surprise, intentionally damaged boxes of bullets and brass both inbound and outbound, smartass liberal fk's at the counter, delivery drivers too lazy to get out of the truck and smash packages into the box, counter pukes that tell me I can't ship a long gun, postmaster that can't discern the difference between a Birch 10-22 stock and a "guuuunnnn"

The last shipment of bullets started out headed to USPS but ultimately went UPS to Canada, but I just got sick of the s H ! t...and had fun.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: ChuckKY Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
I bought some brass from crod1972 off the classifieds. This is the third batch I have bought from him. This last bunch was bought a couple weeks ago and I am still waiting for USPMO to get to him. Usually it would be a four day trip at best, going on two weeks now. Not sure how long before I should pull the plug on this and start what ever process to try and get my money back from USPS. Think I'm going to lay off USPS money orders and mail service to deliver PMO till after the election settles one way or the other. I too believe there may be a work slow down with the Post Office to try and make a point. Just my thoughts.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
My ex co-workers at USPS tell me that the president is trying to derail the voting by mail thing, by ordering the post office to start delaying the mail, and by screwing things up. Looks like it's starting to work..........lol.
Posted By: victoro Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Break out the tinfoil.

I ordered a nail gun repair kit Aug 19 that was shipped Aug 20. I didn't get any shipping info until Sep 3 and found out that my small bubble wrap envelope had spent 2 days in S Carolina (shipper location), 5 days in Tennessee, 2 days in Dallas, a day in Austin and 2 days in Cedar Park, Tx (where I live). It was shown out for delivery Sep 4 (didn't arrive) then out for delivery Sep 5 (didn't arrive). The shipper then notified me that if it didn't arrive by Sep 10 I could get a refund. It showed in my mailbox Sept 1.
Posted By: slumlord Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Clearly, a $12 refund and an $18 surcharge are attempts to throw the presidential election. crazy

I would mail you a six pound turd if I knew the coordinates.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Not long ago my mom sent a birthday card to my granddaughter with $20 inside. The apartment number was wrong and it was returned to sender, but not before someone had opened it and removed the $20 mad

Ya I'm sure a mail in ballot will be sacrosanct.

A friend had a similar situation.
His mother sent $50.00 in a
card and it dissapeared.
No wrong address or misdelivery.
They tried to blow it off at the
local rural PO, but some ink from
the money had made a dim print
inside the card and kinda made it
hard to say that there was no money
enclosed. Of course, nothing came
of it.
The local PO here opens mail and
steals things all the time
Posted By: Valsdad Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Seems like there might be a business opportunity to compete with FedUpEx, USPnotsuchgoodservice, and The Brown Truck Company.

Anyone want to invest? Know a sharp lawyer to draw up the incorporation papers?

I figure we can rent some empty facilities to start out, I hear there are a number from shut down businesses due to The Corona. Those will be our local sorting and shipping hubs. Probably get them at a discount if they've been vacant for a coupla months?

Get some of the Uber type drivers, who's lives have been impacted because of the Riots and The Corona, and get them to do pick up at shippers' locations, bring the packages to the hubs. Sort for driving to the next hub or nearest one to the receiver, assuming logistically possible.

Then more Uberdudes and Uberdudettes to drive the stuff between hubs. Could do it in a Pony Express type manner maybe? 8-12 Hr drives between hubs? Dorm rooms in the hubs for the Uberites to take a nap in before heading back the other way. Showers and scheidt like in a truck stop too.

If we're smart, we will have a fuel/charging station at the hub so they don't even have to go down the street to spend cash elsewhere. Have a Wendy's, Subway, KFC, or other franchise at each hub, they can spend their money in our franchises.

We don't need company vehicles, insurance on said rides, upkeep and maintenance. The Uberfolks have that scheidt covered.

We pay them as independent contractors.............no benefits, UI insurance, SS, etc. Maybe a bonus if they don't fugg up peoples' shipments in transit like all those other places? Give them an incentive. Maybe the bonus could be a free meal at one of our franchises? (keep as much cash in house as possible!!)

Once this thing takes off, we can buy/build our own facilities.

We'll have to come up with a catchy name..................GypoShip?

Whatcha all think??
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: USPS drama - 09/10/20
Break out the tinfoil.

Supposedly they are losing money more than the usual deficit because volume is down with snail mail. They can say they're losing money because of lack of mail volume or they are behind because of increase of mail volume. It's one or the other, can't be both.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: USPS drama - 09/11/20
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Break out the tinfoil.

Supposedly they are losing money more than the usual deficit because volume is down with snail mail. They can say they're losing money because of lack of mail volume or they are behind because of increase of mail volume. It's one or the other, can't be both.

Taint no supposedly about it. They be bankrupt unless something drastic changes, like big .gov bailout or massive rate increases. Pick your poison.

https://www.gao.gov/key_issues/us_postal_service_financial_viability/issue_summary

USPS financial viability continues to be high risk because USPS cannot fund its current level of services and financial obligations from its revenues. As stated in GAO’s 2019 High-Risk update, USPS faces financial challenges that include the following:

Poor financial situation: USPS’s overall financial condition is deteriorating and unsustainable. USPS has lost $69 billion over the past 11 fiscal years—including $3.9 billion in fiscal year 2018. USPS’s total unfunded liabilities and debt ($143 billion at the end of fiscal year 2018) have grown to double its annual revenue.
Insufficient cost savings: The savings from USPS cost-reduction efforts have dwindled in recent years. Although USPS has stated that it will aggressively reduce costs within its control, its plans will not achieve the kind of savings necessary to significantly reduce current operating costs.
Unfavorable trends: USPS’s expenses are now growing faster than its revenues—partly due to rising compensation and benefits costs and continuing declines in the volume of First-Class Mail.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Further, USPS has missed $48.2 billion in required payments for postal retiree health and pension benefits as of September 30, 2018. This includes $42.6 billion in missed payments for retiree health benefits since fiscal year 2010, and $5.6 billion in missed payments for pension benefits since fiscal year 2014. If USPS does not make any more payments for retiree health benefits, the fund supporting these benefits is projected by the Office of Personnel Management to be depleted in fiscal year 2030. If the fund is depleted, USPS would be required by law to make the payments necessary to cover its share of health benefits premiums for postal retirees. However, current law does not address what would happen if USPS misses those payments. Depletion of the fund, together with USPS’s potential inability to make remaining contributions, could affect postal retirees as well as USPS, customers, and other stakeholders, including the federal government.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: USPS drama - 09/11/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Break out the tinfoil.

No tinfoil needed.

Something's up.

Now... Think about having the most important election in our lifetime hinging on USPS now.

No way, man. No way atall.

No doubt It’s way to fix the elections.

If you can go to Walmart, church or protest. You can go vote.

I’ve voted absentee in the past.

But it was in person. In the courthouse. With an ID. Signed with my john Hancock.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: USPS drama - 09/11/20
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Break out the tinfoil.

Taint no supposedly about it. They be bankrupt unless something drastic changes, like big .gov bailout or massive rate increases. Pick your poison.

https://www.gao.gov/key_issues/us_postal_service_financial_viability/issue_summary

USPS financial viability continues to be high risk because USPS cannot fund its current level of services and financial obligations from its revenues. As stated in GAO’s 2019 High-Risk update, USPS faces financial challenges that include the following:

Poor financial situation: USPS’s overall financial condition is deteriorating and unsustainable. USPS has lost $69 billion over the past 11 fiscal years—including $3.9 billion in fiscal year 2018. USPS’s total unfunded liabilities and debt ($143 billion at the end of fiscal year 2018) have grown to double its annual revenue.
Insufficient cost savings: The savings from USPS cost-reduction efforts have dwindled in recent years. Although USPS has stated that it will aggressively reduce costs within its control, its plans will not achieve the kind of savings necessary to significantly reduce current operating costs.
Unfavorable trends: USPS’s expenses are now growing faster than its revenues—partly due to rising compensation and benefits costs and continuing declines in the volume of First-Class Mail.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Further, USPS has missed $48.2 billion in required payments for postal retiree health and pension benefits as of September 30, 2018. This includes $42.6 billion in missed payments for retiree health benefits since fiscal year 2010, and $5.6 billion in missed payments for pension benefits since fiscal year 2014. If USPS does not make any more payments for retiree health benefits, the fund supporting these benefits is projected by the Office of Personnel Management to be depleted in fiscal year 2030. If the fund is depleted, USPS would be required by law to make the payments necessary to cover its share of health benefits premiums for postal retirees. However, current law does not address what would happen if USPS misses those payments. Depletion of the fund, together with USPS’s potential inability to make remaining contributions, could affect postal retirees as well as USPS, customers, and other stakeholders, including the federal government.

WOW... I had no idea.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: USPS drama - 09/11/20
For all who think packages are so damn bad and at fault. You are wrong, it’s the only area that made any money. Packages actually made 1.3 billion more revenue, but employee compensation and benefits ate up 993 million of it.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...sps-reports-fiscal-year-2019-results.htm

The U.S. Postal Service reported operating revenue of $71.1 billion for fiscal year 2019 (October 1, 2018 - September 30, 2019), an increase of $514 million compared to the prior year. The higher revenues were driven largely by price increases and continued growth in the Shipping and Packages business, where revenue increased $1.3 billion, or 6.1 percent, which more than offset revenue declines in First-Class and Marketing Mail as a result of declining volumes in that segment of its business.

Operating expenses for the year were $79.9 billion, an increase of $5.4 billion, or 7.3 percent, compared to the prior year. This was driven by an increase in workers compensation expense of $3.5 billion, of which $3.4 billion was directly the result of changes in discount rates outside of management's control.

Compensation and benefits expenses increased by $994 million due to contractual wage increases, and retirement benefits expenses increased by $320 million due largely to the higher amortization costs of unfunded benefits. Transportation expenses increased by $323 million as the Postal Service continued to experience increases in fuel prices and highway contract rates.
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: USPS drama - 09/11/20
You can count on the usps to be late and fuuck up your package.
Posted By: Muffin Re: USPS drama - 09/11/20
I have probably mailed 40+ packages to YOU guys over the course of the last year and a half............. ALL arrived safely, save one, and that was likely my fault, it was packed well but not well enough.......... 50#s of lead ingots, in a flat rate box.....

out of the 50, 30#s arrived............... I shipped off another pkg to the recipient and the pkg arrived safely and intact.............

Somewhere between FL and ID there are a couple of USPS employees walking around with 'Silver' bars that are actually lead.............. smile
Posted By: DANNYL Re: USPS drama - 09/11/20
Every time they raise prices people find cheaper alternatives.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: USPS drama - 09/16/20
I sent a $2500 shotgun from WA to AR on 08/01. It was shipped as registered mail and ensured for full value. It took 27 days to arrive and not one scan between it leaving my postal depot or going out for delivery.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: USPS drama - 09/16/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My bills are Never late! laugh

Actually, I recently received a bill that was already past due.
Posted By: hangunnr Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Well, I’ll add to this clusterfook.

15 days to get my suppressor delivered to Utah from Indiana, sent Priority Mail. 11 of those days were spent shuffling my package back and forth between 2 Illinois locations.

22 days to get a trigger delivered from Canada. It sat in Chitcago for 13 days. Was shuffled between 4 locations when it finally made it to Indiana. It passed within 15 miles of my house 3 times.....

Currently on 8 days and counting for an envelope to get delivered to South Carolina, sent Priority Mail......

This is by far the worst they’ve ever been and as sad as it is they’re still better than those retards at UPS...

Edit.........

RDW, I like your style........😂
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by Swifty52
For all who think packages are so damn bad and at fault. You are wrong, it’s the only area that made any money. Packages actually made 1.3 billion more revenue, but employee compensation and benefits ate up 993 million of it.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...sps-reports-fiscal-year-2019-results.htm

The U.S. Postal Service reported operating revenue of $71.1 billion for fiscal year 2019 (October 1, 2018 - September 30, 2019), an increase of $514 million compared to the prior year. The higher revenues were driven largely by price increases and continued growth in the Shipping and Packages business, where revenue increased $1.3 billion, or 6.1 percent, which more than offset revenue declines in First-Class and Marketing Mail as a result of declining volumes in that segment of its business.

Operating expenses for the year were $79.9 billion, an increase of $5.4 billion, or 7.3 percent, compared to the prior year. This was driven by an increase in workers compensation expense of $3.5 billion, of which $3.4 billion was directly the result of changes in discount rates outside of management's control.

Compensation and benefits expenses increased by $994 million due to contractual wage increases, and retirement benefits expenses increased by $320 million due largely to the higher amortization costs of unfunded benefits. Transportation expenses increased by $323 million as the Postal Service continued to experience increases in fuel prices and highway contract rates.

What do you mean the USA is already a socialist hellhole?!?!?!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
It is noticeably worse here too
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Not yet, and hope not to.
Posted By: jdunham Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Never had a problem over the last decade until the last two months, both priority mail. One package took over 3 weeks and a barrel blank I sold here was shipped on September 2 and is currently missing somewhere in the USPS system.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by blindshooter

You got that schitt right. I absolutely hate Fed-Ex, and UPS is little better.

Bush Alaska is pretty much dependent on the USPS. I can't say that I've ever had a problem with them that couldn't be attributed to the weather or the local broke-dick air carrier that has only one airplane on hand that they can't keep in the air three days in a row, that's supposed to get the mail from the hub to the respective communities.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Every time they raise prices people find cheaper alternatives.

What are the cheaper alternatives?
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Recently, when you go to purchase a label through EBay for a sale; they are recommending using another service rather than USPS due to delays.
But, perfectly fine for voting? It's going to be a Charlie Foxtrot of an election process.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Doesn’t surprise me. Takes 6 days and 5 different Post Offices, 260 mile trip for a bill to go to a town 11 miles away. The PO is worthless.
Posted By: k20350 Re: USPS drama - 09/29/20
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by blindshooter

You got that schitt right. I absolutely hate Fed-Ex, and UPS is little better.

Bush Alaska is pretty much dependent on the USPS. I can't say that I've ever had a problem with them that couldn't be attributed to the weather or the local broke-dick air carrier that has only one airplane on hand that they can't keep in the air three days in a row, that's supposed to get the mail from the hub to the respective communities.

My house I live on a corner. One complete side of my house is wrap around covered porch with bushes hiding anything sitting on the porch. Fed-Ex guy 100% of the time drops packages on the side door tha'ts wide open to the street for all to see and no covering so they get rained, snowed, cooked in the sun. Its absolutely baffling to me. UPS and USPS always put the packages on the wrap around porch.
© 24hourcampfire