Home
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Just retired - 09/14/20
Took an early retirement from Boeing a couple months ago....hard to get used to. Any advice from others who have retired....thanks in advance!
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Tell me your troubles. I’m thinking about pulling the cork next year.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
I've learned why farmers used to move to town when they retired. laugh
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Find something that you enjoy that does good for your fellow man in some way. Renew old acquaintances and further strengthen friendships you already have. Spend as much time as you can with your family.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Any advice from others who have retired...Any advice

Spend your time wisely because it tends to go by twice as fast as it did when you were working. Seems like last week it was the first of the year for me, it just goes way too damn fast you'll see.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
You get to finally see all the ass holes who are driving up and down your road at 1pm and can say “dont these people have jobs” ??
Posted By: MD521 Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Do what you want to do when you want to do it. Anytime you want to.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Assuming you planned well financially, do those things you thought were bucket list items. Go see that place, eat that delicacy, renew those friendships. This IS what you planned for and waited for.

Oh, and you'll soon discover that weekdays are for you and your fellow geezers. Golf, fish, shop; you won't see any poor worker bees, just retirees. It's marvelous.
Eat that delicacy. Lol

Wtf
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Eat that delicacy. Lol

Wtf

I tried snails once. Just as I imagined, they tasted like dirt.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
garden, go shooting, get a dog or three, go 4 wheelin', learn to bake/cook, reload, volunteer at a wildlife refuge, dog rescue, senior center,

or go to the bar ans shoot pool?

I retired a few years back, a couple of years earlier than planned, and I'm not bored.
Who are those old guys at the hospital that know where everything is at and they wear those Century21 jackets. They volunteer?
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Assuming you planned well financially, do those things you thought were bucket list items. Go see that place, eat that delicacy, renew those friendships. This IS what you planned for and waited for.

Oh, and you'll soon discover that weekdays are for you and your fellow geezers. Golf, fish, shop; you won't see any poor worker bees, just retirees. It's marvelous.

Cotton top days or wheelchair races, if you're a shift work "worker bee" and have the middle of the week off.

Prepare to encounter the rudest slowest moving humans ever.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Just retired - 09/14/20

Been 9 yrs nearly for me....

Always something to do........

Kilt a slew of p/dogs this morning....

Sized & polished 600+ empty 223 AI cases this afternoon

Gotta organize the barn tomorrow............
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Who are those old guys at the hospital that know where everything is at and they wear those Century21 jackets. They volunteer?

Our hospital is too small for Century 21 jacket wearing folks.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
I got about thirty years to go....
-Jake
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Just retired - 09/14/20

I take a nap if I’m bored.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Took an early retirement from Boeing a couple months ago....hard to get used to. Any advice from others who have retired....thanks in advance!

No help.

I thought I'd be really good at retirement, but found I get bored easily. Teaching part time helps, but Im gonna have to give that up one day...
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Chopper, good for you. Once this Covid scam is over, probably after 11-4-20, enjoy traveling and whatever else you like doing.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Just retired - 09/14/20
Put those social skills to work at walmart......or

Take that Boeing tech expertise and help those wondering the aisles at lowes or home depot
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I schedule myself a project round the house to get done each day. If for some reason it dose not get done, I`ll do it tomorrow. Every day then, I feel like I`ve accomplished something.
Like today, got the snow blower tractor going after sitting all summer...had to replace the in-line fuel filter and grease er..then I played by shooting a few rounds with a new load out of the 7RM...then I pealed some apples off the tree so my wife could make me an apple pie..that was selfish on my part, but she dosen`t like apple pie...that`s going to be out of the over in 15 mins.

Tomorrow I`m scheduled to cut grass...then I`m going trout fishing for a few hours.

See, easy, work a little, play a little.

Good Luck!
Posted By: antlers Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
It’s all about perspective my man. Is life not more than work...? I mean, would you define life as, life = work...? There’s more to life than work...and all that it entails. Much more. But it requires a different perspective than you had when you were working.
If you've got nothing to do, then find something to do.
If it's not important, then make it important.
And realize how fortunate you are to have what you do. Be thankful and grateful for your life as it is. There are plenty of soul-enriching things out there that you can occupy yourself with from here on out. Find em’. And do em’.
Posted By: slabslapper Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
NDSnowman and RJL53 have provided some sage advice.

Best Regards
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Congrats.

Need to find that trailhead that's gonna lead me down the path to retirement. Just haven't located the trailhead yet.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

That's a problem, I cannot sleep during the day, never have been able to. I'm jealous of People who can...argh.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I schedule myself a project round the house to get done each day. If for some reason it dose not get done, I`ll do it tomorrow. Every day then, I feel like I`ve accomplished something.
Like today, got the snow blower tractor going after sitting all summer...had to replace the in-line fuel filter and grease er..then I played by shooting a few rounds with a new load out of the 7RM...then I pealed some apples off the tree so my wife could make me an apple pie..that was selfish on my part, but she dosen`t like apple pie...that`s going to be out of the over in 15 mins.

Tomorrow I`m scheduled to cut grass...then I`m going trout fishing for a few hours.

See, easy, work a little, play a little.

Good Luck!

THIS ^^^^

is really good advice.

Sometimes I forget to look at the project list.

Other days I can get more than one item checked off.

There's no boss looking over my shoulder and I get to prioritize the list too.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Just retired - 09/15/20

That's a problem, I cannot sleep during the day, never have been able to. I'm jealous of People who can...argh.

You're not staying up goofing around 'till late enough at night. Like hanging out with this august body of miscreants.

And then getting up at 0600-0630 to feed the chickens, water the lawn, etc.

makes it a whole lot easier to nap when one doesn't go to bed early like when one had a "job"
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Get some cows you won't be bored.
Posted By: jimdgc Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I retired 3 years ago and have never regretted it. Especially with this virus business. A retired guy needs an outbuilding with a wood stove. Mine’s full of woodworking equipment. Actually have another one with reloading equipment. Have something to do every day.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I’ve been retired almost 9 years. First month or two, not so good, but since then, awesome.

I usually have a project or activity most days. Mow the lawn, wash our cars, load some ammo, shoot sporting clays, Shoot rifles testing loads, shoot my bow, take Mrs out to lunch, or etc. some days, a 30-60 minute nap. Also couple mornings a month, volunteer work (pre Covid). I take my time and realize that I don’t have to be doing stuff every minute. Take it easy.
Posted By: Texson2 Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Retirement hopefully isn’t the end of the road. I’m am optimist and still wanting to do so much. I’m still hoping to find a cul-de-sac. Keeps me going. Happy Hunting
Posted By: rayporter Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
after 32 years i left. that was 17 years ago and i have loved every minute i took my watch off that day and have not worn one since.

small farm and plenty to keep busy. if i want.
some days i just load ammo.
Posted By: hanco Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I have 3 years to go, but can leave at any time. I don’t know what I will do when I hang it up. Maybe spend more time trapping pigs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I retired back on may 8th on the 5th we got some bad hail, then again on 6/4 got worse hail. Insurance adjusters did their thing. I was still doing 2 days a week at the old job so they wouldn't get to far behind on the work. End of June I got on the roof , did it myself, did 6 windows and a storm door. Got done with the roof and started siding and rebuilding the deck as I went a long. Thing I discovered a new was that I had no problem organizing, planning and doing whatever I needed to do. Last 20 years of working for a 40 something over educated, underachieving , do nothing pc [bleep] hadn't destroyed my abilities or desire to be productive. All the labor money from the insurance went in my pocket. Be productive and interface all the little projects you been putting off for the last x years with the other enjoyable recreation things you been thinking about. I am doing it, so can you. MB
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I get up every morning and drive 35 in a 55 zone for miles when people are trying to get to work on time. Just like the retired ass holes did to me for years.
Posted By: Farming Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I’m not retired but know plenty that are. Hopefully retirement brings you the freedom of choice. Whether that freedom is to take up a hobby, catch up on undone projects, doing nothing, or starting a second career. For some it is a combination of all these. Part time work or seasonal work and a combination of the others.

Good luck in retirement. Think freedom and the glass is half full.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Don't let health insurance slide before you can get on Medicare. A lot of things start to go wrong between 60 and 65. You really don't want to discover you have an expensive pre-existing condition.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Go searching for Bigfoot
Posted By: EdM Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I retired at 53 some 5 years ago and have never had an issue day in and day out. Hunt, fish, shoot, hike and car toys just work. Also, more than enjoying my relationship with my gal of 35 years.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I retired in 2014. As the saying goes" I don't know how I had time to work " . Find something you like to do. Make sure you exercise and stay in shape! Get a routine, and stick to it.
Posted By: CalHunter Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by rayporter
after 32 years i left. that was 17 years ago and i have loved every minute i took my watch off that day and have not worn one since. ...

^^^ What he said. Take off your watch. Don't overschedule yourself (like when you worked). There is always tomorrow when you don't get something done. After a while, you learn to balance things out and just enjoy life.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by jimdgc
.....A retired guy needs an outbuilding with a wood stove,,,.

This right here.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by jimdgc
.....A retired guy needs an outbuilding with a wood stove,,,.

This right here.

i just built one. no wood stove yet though. i call it Camp Close.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Just retired - 09/15/20

When I retired, I was so busy that I wondered how I had time to work a job!

You got to have a reason to get up each day!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Just retired - 09/15/20

No problem sleeping anytime of the day, it’s a gift. My grandmother used to tell me, “Teddy you could sleep on a picket fence.”
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Just retired - 09/15/20

I'm at about 18 months left to go before I jump to life of leisure. I am worried a bit honestly. I have trouble on vacation unless we go somewhere, just takes time to decompress, relax and re-set your body clock/schedule. My plan is to retire spring/early summer so I get decompressed before winter :-), figure with golf, hiking, fishing and getting ready for hunting, I should be able to stay busy
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I get up every morning and drive 35 in a 55 zone for miles when people are trying to get to work on time. Just like the retired ass holes did to me for years.

LOL that is exactly what I see . retired people are selfish azzholes. another thing is old ladies have to go to the deli at noon when I would go with my crew and other guys to get lunch. they got all day to get cold cuts. another guy said it here that you notice tons of younger able bodied people driving around. half the country is getting paid to stay home then drive around
Posted By: MM879 Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Talking to other retires is a dance where everyone talks to themselves. The only sage advice I ever got was 'Do one thing a day' and do it well.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Just retired - 09/15/20

Retired to part-time five years ago and then to full time two years ago. We have a well-maintained home in a semi-rural area on an acre so there aren’t continual maintenance projects. There are times the days fill up to me wondering how I ever had time enough to work full time. But there are slower ones also.

And I’m a big reader having had a 1000+ hard copy library and another bunch more on my iPad. I occasionally write editorials or essays for online sites or the regional paper.

My handyman skills stop at duct tape and a pliers or hammer. Have a lawn service for the grass and the landscaping.

I think the best advice is decide to on some routine to give you some order in your day and week — nothing you can’t deter from but a routine of projects, service, etc gives a sense of accomplishment. It should include things you are good at and have an interest in. For example, various topics I have studied enough to become conversant enough allow me to teach them in an adult Sunday a school class.

And then there is some fishing, some shooting (my golf) and some hunting with friends.
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

I'm at about 18 months left to go before I jump to life of leisure. I am worried a bit honestly. I have trouble on vacation unless we go somewhere, just takes time to decompress, relax and re-set your body clock/schedule. My plan is to retire spring/early summer so I get decompressed before winter :-), figure with golf, hiking, fishing and getting ready for hunting, I should be able to stay busy

That's a good plan, but you don't work for 50 + years and then 1 day stop unless you die. A guy who is productive all his life and retires has 1 job left in life and that is to remain productive for yourself, to do the things around and in your home for you and family or others.It's the time in your life to find balance to get caught up on things you need to get done and things you want to do. Above all else it is the time you take total control of your life and be your own BOSS. It's really destructive to not have purpose.good luck . mb
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Just retired - 09/15/20

Congratulations!

I retired early at 51 myself.

3 months later I had shingles from working like a maniac for myself... I have always done side work... with my day job almost relaxing. After retiring I work like a madman on my own 300 page to do list and the shingles got me.

That helped me find a balance on working and relaxing.

Work: buying distressed properties fixing them up and flipping them. Small construction jobs and other "low on the radar/taxman" things... like making lumber.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cQyassR6qxpQzArj7

Relax: time on the parallel bar as an architect, Boy Scouts when my sons were younger, making stained glass windows, building weapons, beer making, reloading, raising oysters, hunting Etc.

A man told me 20-odd years ago that life is supposed to be balanced. I thought he was very wrong... but found out otherwise.

Congratulations again on the retirement and I hope you find a whole lot of fun stuff to do.

I knew a fellow that retired with an FAA ticket on engine repairs and so forth. I believe he was a aircraft mechanic at DHL somewhere up around Cincinnati Ohio.

I suggested that he keep that license active... and take in the odd engine rebuild here and there on a Cessna or whatever.

Not my expertise, but what I understood was a $10,000 engine rebuild on a 150 lb 4 cylinder engine could be accomplished while drinking coffee in the garage... seemed to be at least $100 per hour job.

I have no idea if that makes sense for you, but you seem like a personable fellow that might enjoy such things.

Again, congratulations and good luck!
Hey cash, damn nice milling you got a band saw mill or chainsaw mill? Mb
Posted By: tzone Re: Just retired - 09/15/20

No, you do it because you're an ass hole.
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by tzone

No, you do it because you're an ass hole.

I dont think he really does that. just a round about way of mocking them
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Next year for me....

My question is to the retired fellows who are married to wives who still work. How do you manage not to become your wife's "errand boy" and keep peace in the house? You know what I mean: "Well, you don't have anything to do. You can take care of these things for me while I'm at work."
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Hey cash, damn nice milling you got a band saw mill or chainsaw mill? Mb

I was going to buy a Wood Mizer lt40 super hydraulic but decided renting would probably make more sense than actually purchasing. Started looking on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist and a fella contacted me about crew share of the wood.

We set up an arrangement where I keep half of the wood and pay for the band saw blades and provide the labor and he provides the saw and the operation of the saw including all Fuel and oil.

It is an outstanding relationship. He is a super nice guy and so far has only been interested in a small percentage of the actual wood he has earned.

Furthermore, the labor has been free as well. A bunch of my friends have gathered during the milling operation to provide the labor in exchange for the wood they might need for their homes barns or other projects.

If you would like to participate in the next Milling session please drop me a PM with your phone number. We are all very accommodating. Typical Arrangement is... come and help out and take a pickup truck load of lumber home with you.

The milling operation is adjacent to Quantico Marine Corps Base in Stafford County Virginia on one of my smaller farms.

We have been milling the Sweet Gum as structural members... the poplar wood as board and batten siding and the ambrosia maple as countertop cabinets and flooring. In a typical week we will make more lumber than the average Home Depot has in stock.

The Lord has blessed us with an abundance of premium trees.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Put those social skills to work at walmart......or

Take that Boeing tech expertise and help those wondering the aisles at lowes or home depot

7-1/2 years for me.
Do not do this. If you don't already hate people in general it will only get worse. You will get people of all ilks venting on you for reasons you wouldn't believe. You may not get support from management.
I thought Bass Pro would be a great part time job but I was wrong as can be. Most customers were decent but management was terrible. I probably haven't been in that place 5 times after I quit and that was 4 years ago.
Indulge in the hobbies you have, your family and friends. Turn off the news. Drop your newspaper and magazine subscriptions that don't have anything to do with your hobbies. Sleep in or get up early. When you have nothing to do, take all day doing it,
Posted By: smarquez Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Next year for me....

My question is to the retired fellows who are married to wives who still work. How do you manage not to become your wife's "errand boy" and keep peace in the house? You know what I mean: "Well, you don't have anything to do. You can take care of these things for me while I'm at work."

Pick up just a couple of small tasks that she normally does. Nothing taxing. Maybe do your own laundry. Make dinner. Only do these things once in a while. If she sees you doing this regularly she will come to expect it. Don't be afraid to say no. Going golfing, shooting, fishing, biking, hiking whatever with the guys, shooting and then cleaning the guns, or reloading this morning and shooting this afternoon.

The problems with retirement don't start until you are both home. In the beginning of our marriage my wife hated being alone. After about 6 months my wife told me I needed something to do. I was a homebody. I ended up reviving some away from home hobbies and she started riding horses. That give us plenty of me time.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Next year for me....

I kept up all the yard work and outside of the house anyway but now I do most of the laundry and attempt to do some of the cooking and cleaning up the kitchen.

My wife and I actually like each others company and now we can go and do things on the weekends whereas before we both pretty much worked around the house to get ready for the next work week.

I still have more than enough time to hang with my friends, reload, go to the range etc.

Enjoy yourself and keep momma happy at the same time= no worries.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
I retired about 4 years ago and wish I had done so sooner. I decided to simplify things and have reduced substantially the amount of stuff that I own and the busy work of home maintenance, investments etc. I now have time to relax and improve myself.

A home gym used frequently and attention to diet will enable you to enjoy life to a much higher degree. We travel by car and spend about 4-5 months of the year on the road when there is no plague. We live close to many great outdoor areas and spend several days a week hiking when home. We are home from Thanksgiving through Christmas to enjoy the holidays w/ family. Winter predator hunting wherever in the west that weather permits has become a big favorite. Get a wolf tag in Id. Mt. and Wy. and good E. Caller and you will have miles of public land to yourself. Turn off the TV and read and peruse the WWW, it can reduce your stress level and allow you to understand that which interests you w/out being told how to think.

The world is getting weirder every day, dryfire and practice weekly and avoid people at every opportunity.

You earned your retirement, maximize your time for enjoyment and live it up.

mike r
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by MD521
Do what you want to do when you want to do it. Anytime you want to.

Good bud told his recently retired BIL, to you every day is a Saturday, then throw in a Christmas...

Some are able to retire and enjoy life. Others, not so much. I've seen examples of both.

I don't know if there is a secret. I choose to keep working, as what I do isn't hard, is pleasurable and I can get away from the house. I can sit here, typing on my computer, talking to your guys, do some work on the side.... grin

And when I go home, I have plenty of time to do what I like to do.

DF
Posted By: Otter Re: Just retired - 09/15/20
Congrats to you!!!

Retired Friday, Dec 29, 2017. Jan 1, 2018 was a Monday, the end of a 3-day weekend so not much change. Woke up Jan 2 and first thought was "now what?" Haven't been bored since. As others have mentioned, I do what I feel like I want to do when I want to do it . . . sometimes even less.
© 24hourcampfire