Home
Posted By: stxhunter Truth - 09/17/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Truth - 09/17/20
My back tightened up just looking at that picture ! Inlets can be hell to get in and out of !
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Truth - 09/17/20
After seeing those waves, I'll stick to pond fishing
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Truth - 09/17/20
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Truth - 09/17/20
eveytime you run out, there are no guarantees you will make it back in.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Truth - 09/17/20
Or it could be us freshwater guys know when to stay off the Great Lakes. wink

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Posted By: RJY66 Re: Truth - 09/17/20
My problem with it is in my neck of the woods is so dang poor anymore that its getting to the point its not worth going out unless you just want a boat ride. I'm talking more about inshore trout and redfish etc, but the offshore is also subject to so many creel and size limits that you throw back more than you can keep. I like to catch fish but man do I like to eat them and I hate having to throw back good eating sized fish........although I realize that because everyone from Ohio somehow managed to move to Coastal Georgia and the SC lowcountry in the last two decades there are not enough fish for everyone to catch and keep like we did when I was a boy. I do miss the "good old days" though. Me and Dad would pack the freezer!

All that said, I'm going tomorrow to see what I can do. Hope springs eternal and I like a boat ride!

Pond fishing? Ain't nothing wrong with it whatsoever. If you have access to a good one, much fun and good eating can be had!

Posted By: jackmountain Re: Truth - 09/17/20
Seen some snotty conditions. Buddy got the windshield knocked out of his 28' Albermarle off Virginia Beach.
It's tough to go back to a trout stream or fishing bass on a lake after fishing saltwater though I do it. Two totally different experiences though.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Truth - 09/17/20
I do enjoy the serenity of fresh water, but being on the ocean is a totally different experience and the fishing is a real adventure. I need to do it again a few times before I die.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Truth - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Kind of like going to Mickey Ds on the south side, or Churches Fried Chicken, huh?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Truth - 09/17/20
Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink.
Posted By: pal Re: Truth - 09/17/20
Decades ago I helped a guy deliver a couple yachts from Fort Lauderdale to the Panama Canal. While we were waiting in Key West for the weather to turn just right, a sportfishing yacht of about 60' came in from the west with its windshield bashed out and the interior destroyed.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Truth - 09/18/20

This is no joke. I’ve spent the night in the water twice. There comes a moment when you realize the boat isn’t going to make it. Really bad feeling. Luckily I was picked up right after dawn both times.
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Truth - 09/18/20
I worked on ocean going tugs for 30 years, on one boat was a brass plate with the words.
“Oh God I am so great and my boat is so small”
Sarcasm at its best.
Ronnie
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Truth - 09/18/20
we run out a hundred, hundred and thrity miles sometimes, have run out of fuel twice on the way back in.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Truth - 09/18/20
When it comes to offshore fishing and engines, it takes 2 to go to sea.
yes, we've limped back in on one more than once.
Posted By: hanco Re: Truth - 09/18/20
I’m good with Lake Conroe
yes, we've limped back in on one more than once.

That’s when the second engine pays its way in full.

Great pics.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Ran single engine boats most of the time offshore. Too expensive to maintain and feed twins when you are trying to make a living at it. You never turn the motor off offshore. It’s rare for a motor to just quit while running but they fail to start plenty. Heat cycle is what kills things. Working commercial offshore you keep in contact with your fellow fisherman. I’ve towed and been towed paying it forward or paying it back.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Truth - 09/18/20

Been in some pretty rough stuff. Almost didn't come back when fishing out of Seward AK.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

When my father was on an LST inWW II in the south Pacific, he overheard two of the black stewards looking over the railing an the expanse of water and one said to the other, “Man, that’s a lot of water.”

The other looked over and said, “yeah, and that’s just the top of it!”😳😁
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Water, water everywhere, a hell of a place to sink.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by jaguartx

When my father was on an LST inWW II in the south Pacific, he overheard two of the black stewards looking over the railing an the expanse of water and one said to the other, “Man, that’s a lot of water.”

The other looked over and said, “yeah, and that’s just the top of it!”😳😁

Hahaha, winner, winner....
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Dead in the water waiting fir a tow sucks.
Had twin yamaha Saltwater Series II 225's on my pro-line and ran home on one twice. Being in Fog as thick as chowder with a malfunctioning radar sucks too.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Experienced 100mph plus winds on my first saltwater fishing trip in 2009. Off shore winds between Sand Point and King Cove caught us in a place where we couldn’t get the 36’gillnetter to shore so we had to turn and go with the wind. Every time the wave would break i was sure the stern was going to come over the bow.

The clench mark from my as s is probably still visible today in that boat seat.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Salt water fishing has been most of the best of it for me, but there is a pucker price at times. Getting across a couple of those bars in the PNW can concentrate one's mind and some Alaskan moments the same. The Atlantic will grab you as well. That boat is a source of much enjoyment until it becomes like a small cork in big seas, and then when something mechanical goes wrong - was fishing out here today a good idea? For me, those times probably have passed - but great memories. Have fun, Roger.
Posted By: 35 Re: Truth - 09/18/20
OH $HIT !!
Beaufort inlet NC.
I`ll take a fiberglass boat over a cold molded boat any day !

[video:flash]https://www.facebook.com/1269778381/videos/10223369599329429/?extid=5tXkIi1ejXuyK0Me[/video]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Truth - 09/18/20

I can throw a stone across the local river here and that is about all that I require.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Spent 40+ years commercial fishing and have seen my share of the good and bad. Now my son runs the fishing business and I worry every time he heads offshore to make a trip.
Posted By: deflave Re: Truth - 09/18/20
stx,

If you wanna talk schit, you best own your own boat.

LOL
Posted By: deflave Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Been in some pretty rough stuff.

A sea of COCK doesn't count.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave
stx,

LOL

too smart to own my own money pit, sold my last one.
Originally Posted by Daveinjax

Ran single engine boats most of the time offshore. Too expensive to maintain and feed twins when you are trying to make a living at it. You never turn the motor off offshore. It’s rare for a motor to just quit while running but they fail to start plenty. Heat cycle is what kills things. Working commercial offshore you keep in contact with your fellow fisherman. I’ve towed and been towed paying it forward or paying it back.

2 to go to sea especially if you’re trying to make a living at it.

Depending upon the kindness of strangers ain’t a good plan for longevity.

Jmo
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Truth - 09/18/20

stx;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I hope this finds you well down on the south coast.

Honestly although I do enjoy ocean fishing from time to time, frankly being on rough water puts me far out of my comfort zone.

When trying to explain it to someone once, I said, "Somehow the Good Lord made me such that I prefer a rough horse over a smooth boat".

That's always been the case with me, even from when I was young and hasn't changed as I've aged.

If it's okay with you, I'll just fish the saltchuk vicariously through photos and videos from you and Leighton if that's acceptable?

All the best to you this season sir.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by deflave
stx,

LOL

Take your own advice.

Your inflatable love doll doesn’t count.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Lake Superior has been known to get nasty.

Nasty enough to sink. 1000 footer.
Posted By: sse Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

and when the water is freezing up it's not as buoyant...!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Truth - 09/18/20
I dearly love the Gulf and Florida Atlantic coasts, and I'd accept any invitation to fish there. But having lived there once, I'd never live there again.

Next Spring, I'm trading may kayak for a bass boat - getting too old to load and unload that monster kayak. Won't give up fishing.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Truth - 09/18/20

Jmo

I don't buy that at all, I've fished from Nova Scotia to Venezuela in the Atlantic and Key West to Belize in the Gulf of Mexico all with single engine boats. Last time I was on the wrong end of a rope was in the spring of 1984. Maintaining your vessel and having plenty of fuel is the best way to get to point A and back again. No different than in a vehicle.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by sse

For reference, the far house is about 40' tall, inner light is 52'.

Coasties heading out in one of the 47s for training. Little bit brave, little bit nuts.

[Linked Image from cdn.dvidshub.net]

Coming in, between the two pier heads.

Hardwater.

[Linked Image from c2.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Hauling ass back to beat a hurricane into port Zihuatanejo 1995. Best fishing on ocean I ever experienced. Never want to do that again.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Jmo

I don't buy that at all, I've fished from Nova Scotia to Venezuela in the Atlantic and Key West to Belize in the Gulf of Mexico all with single engine boats. Last time I was on the wrong end of a rope was in the spring of 1984. Maintaining your vessel and having plenty of fuel is the best way to get to point A and back again. No different than in a vehicle.

You carry a spare tire in your vehicles?
Grins
Posted By: sse Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by sse

For reference, the far house is about 40' tall, inner light is 52'.

Coasties heading out in one of the 47s for training. Little bit brave, little bit nuts.

Coming in, between the two pier heads.

Hardwater.

[Linked Image from c2.staticflickr.com]

those are great photos, CFT...

One time when i was a kid went down to the shoreline, probably in December, no ice build up yet along the shore, so the waves would come right in. It was bitter cold, probably 20 deg or less, and the wind was whipping steady, hard enough for the waves to crash against the boulders on shore and throw up mist over the road in places. When it is that cold the mist turns immediately to ice. Me and a bud put on heavy clothes and goggles and stood in the splash getting covered with ice.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Truth - 09/18/20

Jmo

Grins

I always carried a spare paddle for my sea kayak, being out of sight of land makes one humble.

mike r
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Truth - 09/18/20
Not very bright people get washed off that pier often enough.
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Jmo

Grins

I always carried a spare paddle for my sea kayak, being out of sight of land makes one humble.

mike r

Fact.
The sea makes one humble. Only fools chide her or take her lightly.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Truth - 09/19/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Jmo

Grins

mike r

Fact.
The sea makes one humble. Only fools chide her or take her lightly.

wise words
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Truth - 09/19/20
we run out a hundred, hundred and thrity miles sometimes, have run out of fuel twice on the way back in.

((Ttl. Tank Gallons X .66 / GPH @ CRUISE SPD) * CRUISE SPEED) * .4 = MAX OFFSHORE MILEAGE

.4 GO OUT
.2 TROLL / DRIFT
.4 COME BACK

1.0 TOTAL CAPACITY w / 99 GAL RESERVE (132 MILE RANGE @ 40MPH)

Ex:
((300GAL X .66 / 30GPH[600HP BOAT]) X 40MPH[CRUISE @ 4K RPM]) X .4 = 105 MILES MAX OFFSHORE RANGE

Or if you have a Fuel MGMT SYS and know MPG:

Ex @ 1.5MPG
((300GAL X .66) X 1.5MPG) X .4 = 119 Mile Range.

The above formula keeps your motors chugging along if you don’t use your emergency reserve to extend the maximum range of a boat, but I’m sure you already knew that.

Blowing off a reserve and using it all:

300GAL X .9 = 270 GAL

((270GAL / 30GPH) X 40MPH) X .4 = 144 Mile range W / (No reserve)

When you get caught in rough weather, you’ll be glad you have that reserve you’ll need to get home.

The above is pretty close to what Brian’s boat’s numbers would come out to with a 300GAL capacity and 2 300HP’s hanging off the back.

SANCHA is waiting for you Roger. She just needs a repower:
https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/bod/d/gig-harbor-1995-bertram-60-convertible/7195345065.html

Posted By: Fubarski Re: Truth - 09/19/20
Surprised biiiiiirdie hasn't chimed in with his treetrunk hull, african outboard, plastic jug gas tank navigate by the stars used a splinter for a circle hook advice.
Lol. Brian just text me their offshore and it's 8-10 ft. Glad I had to work today.
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Truth - 09/19/20
It’s only going to get worse as the day goes on.

Saturday 9/19
Morning
Strong NNE winds with very choppy seas. Small Craft Advisory. Moderate short period waves.
Winds: NNE 23 to 32 knots.
Seas: NE 7 feet at 7 seconds.

Afternoon
Strong N winds with very choppy seas. Small Craft Advisory. Moderate short period waves.
Winds: N 23 to 32 knots.
Seas: ENE 8 feet at 8 seconds.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Truth - 09/19/20
I vow to never end my days as a shark turd.
Posted By: Judman Re: Truth - 09/19/20
Come cross the Columbia River bar on a bad day.. fuucker can get pretty sporty, had my ass puckered up a few times! 😂😂
have seen videos of it.
Posted By: Judman Re: Truth - 09/19/20
Bar outta Westport, where the Chehalis river system dumps in can be a nasty bastard too...
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Truth - 10/19/20
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
It’s only going to get worse as the day goes on.

Saturday 9/19
Morning
Strong NNE winds with very choppy seas. Small Craft Advisory. Moderate short period waves.
Winds: NNE 23 to 32 knots.
Seas: NE 7 feet at 7 seconds.

Afternoon
Strong N winds with very choppy seas. Small Craft Advisory. Moderate short period waves.
Winds: N 23 to 32 knots.
Seas: ENE 8 feet at 8 seconds.

You're as irrelevant as to discharged on a maxi pad
Posted By: windridge Re: Truth - 10/19/20

sick sick sick sick sick sick
© 24hourcampfire