Home
Posted By: RiverRider Lost an old buddy - 09/17/20
I had a couple of cool roommates on deployment in Sicily back in '79 and early '80. One of them was a Photographer's Mate. I had purchased a neat little Pentax SLR 110 in the NX, and Paul taught me a few things about photography. During the five or six months we were roomies, we became pretty good friends.

I remember waking one night on that deployment, and he was getting into his locker and grabbing stuff. He told me his dad had just died and he was going home to Cincinatti for the funeral. That was kinda surreal. He left, and returned later.

I kept up with Paul through Facebook over the years, just casually---once I caught up with him.. Not much more than an "I see you and you see me" kind of thing...I didn't pursue a more personal re-acquaintance because I have found it often has made me feel odd and as if I had intruded into someone's life, basically just by being somewhere no one else wanted me to be...awkward, in other words. I tend to be a pretty warm and open-book kind of person, but I've learned not to expect that of others.

Anyway, Paul called me out of the clear blue one day about two weeks ago. Evidently I did not know him quite well enough to realize he was much like me in terms of willingness to rekindle an old friendship. We talked for about an hour, and it was almost as if we just picked up right where we left off in 1980.

The dude could do anything. He was just one of those people who was interested in everything, and tried out a good many things and usually succeeded.

He dabbled i music (among other things):

I am sure glad I talked to him again for the first time in 40 years. I no longer play on Facebook, but my wife still does and she saw where Paul's wife posted that he very suddenly died yesterday, supposedly from a blood sugar issue.

I was really looking forward to more interaction with my old friend, but I am thankful for what I did get. I'm gonna miss that dude. They won't make any more like him.

Godspeed, Paul Easter.

Posted By: BamBam Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/17/20
Sorry to hear about your buddy Paul, you’re very lucky that you were able to speak to him again after all those years, I’ll say a prayer for him and his family.

Not bad on the drums, I enjoyed that.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/17/20
Sorry to hear about the loss. I have outlived a lot of my old school friends and some of them several years younger than me. You have our prayers. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: rong Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/17/20
Good thing you got the chance to reconnect.
I'm sure he was as well.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/17/20
RIP Paul!
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/17/20
Sorry for your loss as well as his families. MAN he was amazing on the drums!!
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/17/20
"talked for about an hour, and it was almost as if we just picked up right where we left off "

One of the great things about Service based friendships. That seems almost universal. I am very sorry you didn't get to catch up further but I am sure your connection brightened his day too.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/17/20
Sorry to hear about your old friend, Andrew. I know the feeling.
When you reach our age group, it happens more & more. Lost a couple over the last 2 years and it truly sucks.
Posted By: rufous Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/18/20
Sorry to hear that.

Last summer my best friend from junior high and high school came to visit. I had not seen him for about 25 years and it was unreal how it seemed like so little time had passed. We were tight! It was so cool. Hoping to see him again this winter. We are 56 years old.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/18/20
Sorry you lost your pal, my condolences.

RIP Paul.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/18/20
Dang. I’m sorry to hear of this. It is certainly good that you two spoke recently. We are all guilty of letting time and distance interference with friendships. Rejoice in your time with your bud.

I spoke with an old buddy from high school just yesterday. We haven’t seen each other or spoken since 1992. Like you and Paul, we picked like the gap in time really didn’t exist. I plan to head his way this summer to do some fishing in Lake Michigan. I’m pretty stoked about it. Shame on us for losing contact like we did.
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: Lost an old buddy - 09/18/20
Death? What y'all know about death?
© 24hourcampfire