Home
... for the 20/21 oatmeal season. Cold here, 40 degrees this morning. I know 40 is nothing to what's coming this winter, but these old bones are getting to like cold weather less and less! Anyway... it's a slow morning!
I didn't realize there was an oatmeal season. What's the bag limit?
Sweet Christ.
Bacon is better... IMHO.

Even that crap from Canada.
We have a heavy frost here this morning. I had apple pie for breakfast.
Bacon is illegal in Illinois due to causing religious offense to a large portion of the population.
Been skipping breakfast lately trying to lose weight. But couldn’t resist a puffball omelet this morning. They’re around such a short time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Oatmeal.... sick
Originally Posted by smokepole
I didn't realize there was an oatmeal season.

Everyday is in oatmeal season here. Plain old rolled oats, not the sugar/flavoured packets barf. Water measured the night before with raisons soaking overnight to sweeten the water and re-hydrate. No sugar, as is.

Wash that down with a cup of tea and you're GTG for the morning.
If it's the Amish whole grain oatmeal......be sure to sift out the bugs and beard hairs.

Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
... for the 20/21 oatmeal season. Cold here, 40 degrees this morning. I know 40 is nothing to what's coming this winter, but these old bones are getting to like cold weather less and less! Anyway... it's a slow morning!
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Been skipping breakfast lately trying to lose weight. But couldn’t resist a puffball omelet this morning. They’re around such a short time.

Here's a couple puffballs we found in 1976. The big one was 25#. I'm the skinny dork in the Norton tee.

So, do you normally just eat cold food until the first frost? laugh
36F here. Had a smoked salmon bagel and hot tea.

My grandmother had oatmeal on the breakfast table everyday year-round along with home cured fried pork shoulder and sausage, eggs - fried and scrambled, scratch biscuits, home canned preserves, red eye gravy, coffee - boiled and perked plus a jar of instant decaf, fresh cows milk and churned butter.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Everyday is in oatmeal season here. Plain old rolled oats, not the sugar/flavoured packets barf. Water measured the night before with raisons soaking overnight to sweeten the water and re-hydrate. No sugar, as is.

raisins are loaded with sugar
Getting to be that time of year. I never have oatmeal in summer. It's a winter thing for me. Unlike my Scottish born paternal grandmother who had it on a regular basis year round.

Here's a couple puffballs we found in 1976. The big one was 25#. I'm the skinny dork in the Norton tee.

About 1.5 hours from me. They say it’s going to be a good year for puffballs.
Had one of my Buzzed 'Maters - perhaps one of the last for this tomato season due to last week's windstorm.

For those who don't visit the Cooking forum below, I cut a deep well in a tomato, S&P, then fresh basil or pesto. Nestle it on a slice of bread, sprinkle grated cheese over mato and bread, then drizzle EVOO over all. Buzz in the micro for 60 seconds, full power. Absolutely delicious.

Use your favorite meltable cheese. Cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, whatever. My favorite is asiago for this even though it doesn't melt especially well. Today was cheddar.
I have oatmeal for breakfast prit'near every day. I add wild blueberries, chopped walnuts and honey, Mmmm good.
Of course today the luckiest woman in the world made me an omelette & hash browns.
I haven't had oatmeal since I was six. I don't even know what it tastes like.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Had one of my Buzzed 'Maters - perhaps one of the last for this tomato season due to last week's windstorm.

For those who don't visit the Cooking forum below, I cut a deep well in a tomato, S&P, then fresh basil or pesto. Nestle it on a slice of bread, sprinkle grated cheese over mato and bread, then drizzle EVOO over all. Buzz in the micro for 60 seconds, full power. Absolutely delicious.

Use your favorite meltable cheese. Cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, whatever. My favorite is asiago for this even though it doesn't melt especially well. Today was cheddar.

Im going to try that . Im still picking 20 to 30 a day .

Red River cereal is my go to hot breakfast instead of oatmeal .
What is a puffball. Yes I know there is google but I want a normal persons description and location. Edk
Rick, here's what it looks like...

ERK, a large wild mushroom. Usually grows up to the size of a soccer ball. Very mild taste.

I like slicing them thick then grilling on the bbq drizzled with EVOO and S&P.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

One of the best breakfasts a man can consume.
I’m not sure that it is the best tasting breakfast, okay I’m pretty sure that it isn’t, but Sweetness has my total cholesterol down to 122 with my bad LDL cholesterol down to 52 very likely because we have steel cut oatmeal nearly every morning. Oh it needs help with walnuts, blueberries and strawberries, but it stay down and hangs in there until lunch. Eating has always been one of my favorite things and that oatmeal isn’t a favorite, but my doctor says that I should eat more cheese burgers because I am skewing the cholesterol scale for my age group.
I'm going to have Buzzed 'Maters for lunch now. I got them out of the fridge so they would start out at room temp. Thanks, Be Well, RZ.
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

raisins are loaded with sugar

I know ........... Thus the reason I don't add more.

What's you locale? I grew up in Fergus.
Going to give that recipe a shot....Thx.

Microwave prep, fast is good.

This is good , toasted the bread first used one of the ripest tomatoes .
Perfect. Glad you like it.
Originally Posted by Windfall
I’m not sure that it is the best tasting breakfast, okay I’m pretty sure that it isn’t, but Sweetness has my total cholesterol down to 122 with my bad LDL cholesterol down to 52 very likely because we have steel cut oatmeal nearly every morning. Oh it needs help with walnuts, blueberries and strawberries, but it stay down and hangs in there until lunch. Eating has always been one of my favorite things and that oatmeal isn’t a favorite, but my doctor says that I should eat more cheese burgers because I am skewing the cholesterol scale for my age group.

I used to eat oatmeal 3-4 days a week for a couple weeks before my work physicals. The first time I did that my cholesterol level went down 20 points from the previous year. When I get back on oatmeal, the first couple times I can't get too far from a terlet. It's does like a kickstarting cleanse.

What's you locale? I grew up in Fergus.

Woodstock. Grew up in Kitchener

Instant or 1 or 3 minute. Stove top or MWave? What juice did you cook it in, OJ, Grape J, milk, sardine, beer?

Any viennies in it?

What brand? Any good?
I like a belly of hot oatmeal when sitting in a treestand.
Nice n comfy
Good ol stove top Quaker Oats with some milk, butter and brown sugar added for this morning. Also like to use dried cranberries and apricots on occasion along with walnuts or pecans. Dry the fruit myself in the dehydrator.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Oatmeal.... sick

Ditto !
We MUCH prefer steel-cut here. Nuttier flavor, more texture, less "slimy" for lack of a better descriptive, and somehow more filling for longer.
We MUCH prefer steel-cut here. Nuttier flavor, more texture, less "slimy" for lack of a better descriptive, and somehow more filling for longer.

Good thing they make different stuff!

I eat quick oats often.
I dump a 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries in a mason jar, pour about 1 cup of oats on top
then top off with blueberries. Add water. Let sit over night and drag it to work along with my
a ss
My grandfather used to make oatmeal at the moose camp. It was prepared the night before with extra water and set aside on a warm corner of the wood fired cook stove. Raisins were included for the night and water was added again in the morning to get it to the right consistency.

I'd love to have one of those breakfasts again with him and my father at the camp.
Hot dog on a slice of wonder bread and bounced out

Had to take dog to vet pull stitches, come back turn and burn, drive a tractor 14 miles, and excavate a creek crossing for a 2 nd tractor.

Too pukey to eat anything now. All that jiggling my L-4/5, oxycodone for dinner
I like old fashioned oats. They're not as pasty as regular quick oats. Add cinnamon and chopped dates before heating so the dates partially dissolve.
Sorry, gonna pass on nursing home food - until I get there.
Ok, since this has turned into a best breakfast thread, my
Wife makes the best sausage,biscuit, gravy ever. My day
is scheduled around these.
I don't hate it, I just don't like it enough to ever buy it.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Hot dog on a slice of wonder bread and bounced out

Had to take dog to vet pull stitches, come back turn and burn, drive a tractor 14 miles, and excavate a creek crossing for a 2 nd tractor.

Too pukey to eat anything now. All that jiggling my L-4/5, oxycodone for dinner

Damn.
Gruel, by any other name.

sick
had a bud light for breakfast, its saturday.
Originally Posted by Blacktail308

Sure beats the hell out of oatmeal. Made from our own fresh picked apples.
Originally Posted by deflave
Sweet Christ.

Is that a new sugar substitute?

😎
Originally Posted by stxhunter
had a bud light for breakfast, its saturday.

Breakfast Bud's are good on the weekend's; or at the airport; but real Red&White in the bottle for me
Good ol stove top Quaker Oats with some milk, butter and brown sugar added for this morning.

"Quaker Oats, it's the right thing to do!"
Wilford Brimley

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Oatmeal.... sick

Oatmeal...... cool
Sticks to your ribs ! Admittedly it's better with Cinnamon !!! grin

Watch those calories you fat lazy bastard.
Good stuff, Wife buys them in 6 two lb bags, steel cut, have for breakfast 90 percent of the time, four cups boiling water at night, add cup of oats, stir, put on lid, kill heat and walk away, warm up or eat cold next morning, had smuckers PB, sliced banana and cinnamon in mine this morning, GTG till noon, on third mug of coffee now.
I may go to the Food Corral and see if they have any processed apple pie so I can be like Black fart .
Originally Posted by Blacktail308

Sure beats the hell out of oatmeal. Made from our own fresh picked apples.

Oatmeal only on the rare occasion now.

A handful of bulk bin oatmeal from the Win-Co, a handful of raisins, water to cook in............ that was breakfast WAY too often when I was a starving student living on a $3/day food budget in the mid 90's.

I felt extremely grateful when the Win-Co, Safeway, and WalMart had "turkey wars" before Thanksgiving and the prices on turkeys dropped to $0.12/lb the lowest year. Turkey from the smoker for a few days lunches and dinner, then a big pot of soup from the carcass and I could eat turkey soup for breakfast instead of oatmeal.

I'll adapt and eat Quaker Oat Squares or Cheerios now to get my oat fiber.
Originally Posted by ERK
What is a puffball. Yes I know there is google but I want a normal persons description and location. Edk

Slab cut about 1” thick, drizzle with EEVO, S&P then grilled on the bbq alongside a 10 oz Ribeye.

Texture is like a marshmallow with a mild, slightly nutty, mushroom flavour. Really good!

© 24hourcampfire