Home
Collins tweeted. “In fairness to the American people who will either be re-electing the President or selecting a new one, the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected

Please note the statement does not say she will not vote.
Trump was elected, dumb [bleep].
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Trump was elected, dumb [bleep].

Exactly LOL.
Put a qualified candidate in front of her and she'll cave.
She voted for kavanaugh even while receiving death threats.

Am I the only one that remembers these things?
he's the president, he has the right under article 2 to nominate a new justice. Whether now or January 19. Obviously its up to the senate to vote.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Nope. That's why I said just put a qualified candidate in front of her and make her vote.
As much as the Marxist democraps want to deny it, Trump was elected.
Lets say she doesn't vote yet, but just abstains.

Under the Harry Reid rule, we don't need 51 votes, just a majority of the votes cast.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Under the Harry Reid rule, we don't need 51 votes, just a majority of the votes cast.

Wrong
Dingy Harry had NOTHING to do with the 51 vote rule for SC Court justices, that was ALL McConnell and the Republican majority in order to confirm Gorsuch.
And pence would be the tie breaker
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Nope. That's why I said just put a qualified candidate in front of her and make her vote.

A female nominee would cut out half the crap that libs could toss.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Collins tweeted. “In fairness to the American people who will either be re-electing the President or selecting a new one, the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected

Please note the statement does not say she will not vote.

Trump was elected and will serve until late January. Only question is whether that is January 2021 or 2025. Either way, this occurred on his watch, so he can nominate someone and ask for a vote. Dems can try to fillibuster the vote and prevent it.
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Wrong
Dingy Harry had NOTHING to do with the 51 vote rule for SC Court justices, that was ALL McConnell and the Republican majority in order to confirm Gorsuch.

Nonetheless a minority is all that's required. I would not be surprised if Romney, Murcowski and/or Collins try to screw this up. Makes no difference what happened in the past although the magic knee grow did put forth a nominee and the Senate refused to vote on him. Trump is still President so he has the right to put forth a nominee. Then it is up to the Senate to vote or not. Being they are the same party, I expect them to vote and approve his nominee. FINALLY, chalk one up for the patriots.
Existential moment for the GOP and the country. I have full confidence in their ability to f- it up.
Originally Posted by RufusG
Existential moment for the GOP and the country. I have full confidence in their ability to f- it up.

+1

This
"...the decision on a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the President who is elected....)

So she didn't say she believed the appointment should be made after the 2020 election?

Those are two very different statements.

Exactly. Merely answering present would be seen by conservatives as a tacit "no".
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

This

Qualified woman would help.

Here's another reason I like Allison for the job. She was just confirmed by the Senate to fill Gorsuch's seat on the 10th Circuit. For Collin's and co to vote against her now would point to their own hypocrisy.
So even if three republicans abstain, it's still 50 to 47.
Even if three republicans vote no, it's 50/50 and the V.P. breaks the tie.
I don't see any reason why we can not confirm.

The key seems to be the timeing.

McConnal needs to tell the democrates they have two days to dig dirt, and two days to belly ach.
Then have a dozen Republicans spend 5 minuets each talking about how qualified he/she is.
Then call the vote, no pussy footing around.

Nope, but may have made her gun shy.
Posted By: MAC Re: Collins' Statement on SCOTUS - 09/20/20
She needs a history lesson. There have been 29 instances of a SC vacancy during an election year that involved 22 different presidents, the last being OBozo and the first being Washington. Every one of those 29 incidents resulted in a nomination being put forth. That is the only precedent that matters. RBG herself in 2016 stated that there is nothing in the Constitution that absolves a president of their Constitutional Responsibility to put forth a nominee in their last year in office.

So, the president is required by the Constitution to put forth a nominee, the senate can then do as they please under their Constitutional authority but what they cannot do is wait just because an election is pending. Even in 2016 they didn't wait, they advised OBozo not to put forth Garland and when he went ahead and did it, the senate refused to confirm which is a power only the senate wields. Collins has always been a fool.
I remember Obama bitching about them not approving his SCOTUS nominee.
If he thought they should approve one at this point,
how can there be an argument?

Trump is pres. It's his job, and th e Senate needs to confirm unless they find a major flaw.

As far as what's the "proper" thing?

We know what Obama did and wanted,
A Dem Senate would have confirmed.

So there you have it.
The 'proper thing' is clearly indicated in the Constitution.

It is Trump's duty to appoint. It is the Senate's duty to confirm or not.

The MSM loves to spin this and make it seem wrong somehow.
How many SC Justices have been confirmed with a 2/3 majority in the Senate, how many have been confirmed by a simple majority?
is everyone from maine just a dipchit? . I see her and the other senator maine elected, olympia snow, I sure hope neither is representative of maine people. susan collins sounds like a half sea nile grandmother
Posted By: GeoW Re: Collins' Statement on SCOTUS - 09/20/20
Don't really give a damn who gets the seat, just want that person to be picked by this president and confirmed by this senate.

g
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The 'proper thing' is clearly indicated in the Constitution.

It is Trump's duty to appoint. It is the Senate's duty to confirm or not.

The MSM loves to spin this and make it seem wrong somehow.

I meant "proper" as in the unwritten right thing, that might be tighter than the written.

Either way, it's clear Trump h as a clean path to nomination,
And the Sen ate should act.

Confirming if qualified.
© 24hourcampfire