Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck math matters - 09/20/20
Our daughter posted this on her facebook page. After seeing some of McD's employees, it doesn't surprise me.

Hey you all. Math is important. I was at McDonald’s getting a Sweet Tea and my total was $1.08. So I handed the worker one quarter $.25, eight dimes $.10 and three pennies .01. In my book that adds up to $1.08.
But sadly her responses were not that. I kid you not these were her answers after about a minute of counting.
Me-everything good?
Her-ugh, ma’am you only gave me $.95
Me-what about the pennies?
Her-ummm (recounting), umm there is only $.93 cents
Me-May I see the money? (she hands me back my coins)
So I do what any smart person would do. I count the money in front of her.
Her-oh ummm, ok.
Listen people. Math matters.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Gawd dang.....hopefully no one was waiting behind her while she embarrassed that employee.
Posted By: Dess Re: math matters - 09/20/20
When was the last time someone actually counted back your change correctly?

For me, it was an elderly cashier with impeccable skills and obvious experience. Haven't seen anyone under 50 able to count change without a calculator.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Generally when ever I make a small purchase at a convenient store I will round up to 15 or 20 bucks with a fuel purchase. If they tell me the purchase is $6.11 I tell them to give me $8.89 on pump so and so. Sometimes they look at me confused until they put into the register. Then a lot of times they will look up and say Cool! Math Just amazes some folks!
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Shaquanda the cashier ?
Posted By: Dutch Re: math matters - 09/20/20
I get some sort of perverse joy out of giving them a five, and then the 8 cents after they rung up the sale and watch their head explode trying to figure out what to do.....
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: math matters - 09/20/20
One of the racist agendas is forcing black kids to learn white men's math. They think that whites and blacks have different maths for some reason. Many thousands of black kids have dropped out of school rather than learn racist math.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Math always matters. Wish people would rely more on it.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: math matters - 09/20/20
I stopped at a feed store a while back to buy chicken feed. I paid with cash. She looked at my money for a minute then got on her I phone. She then gave me change that was in puzzling denominations.
Nicely, I asked her how she did it. She had used a search engine to do it. She showed me on her phone. The search engine came up with something like 7 ones 3 five and 3 10s for my change.

Her dad owned the feed store and it was a Saturday. I guess he just hoped she could pull it off
Posted By: jnyork Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Safeway cashier a while back, woman in her 20's, absolutely flummoxed over a 10% veteran's discount, finally had to drag out her purse and figure it on her phone. This despite myself and the guy behind me telling her what it amounted to. Sad. Probably had a high school diploma . Not a minority either.

s
Posted By: cv540 Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by Dutch
I get some sort of perverse joy out of giving them a five, and then the 8 cents after they rung up the sale and watch their head explode trying to figure out what to do.....

Try giving them a couple $2 bills and a $1 coin instead of the $5 bill. The dont know where to put it in their tray.

Guy i used to work with said I was a "monetary terrorist"
Posted By: ro1459 Re: math matters - 09/20/20
When we owned restaurants, we were shocked that our employees could not give proper change. So we had to purchase an automatic change dispenser hooked up to the register. $1,500, at the time, and worth every penny.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: math matters - 09/20/20
"For those unable to count pennies, their destiny awaits emptying chamber pots."

John Adams, 1781
Posted By: CashisKing Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by CashisKing
"For those unable to count pennies, their destiny awaits emptying chamber pots."

John Adams, 1781

Made that up... but he probably said it regardless.
Posted By: cv540 Re: math matters - 09/20/20

John Adams, 1781

Made that up... but he probably said it regardless.

Thats good
Posted By: Heeler Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by Dess
When was the last time someone actually counted back your change correctly?

For me, it was an elderly cashier with impeccable skills and obvious experience. Haven't seen anyone under 50 able to count change without a calculator.

Go to a Quik Trip sometime. Only place I know of that requires employees to count back change. And they’re good as it. Have to be....QTs are busy places.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: math matters - 09/20/20
In these parts if you can do even rough figuring in your head, you count as a borderline genus.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: math matters - 09/20/20
I'm like some of you old fogies. I give some change to make it easier give me back whole dollars or I do it so I get rid of some pennies and nickels to get quarters back. Less jingling in the pocket that way. Confuses the majority of them.

I graduated from college a couple of decades + back. While there I tutored basic stats. Sometimes individual, but the school also gave me 5 hrs a week to hold drop in sessions. Very first thing in stats classes seemed to "the mean", then the standard deviation. Usually the very first drop in class was folks wanting to know how to do this (yes, some made it to college without knowing how to do "the mean". Some would get it when I said it's also sometimes called "the average".

I'd write a series of 8-10 numbers on the board, tell them to get me the mean. Then, as I was taught years ago I'd do it in my head and write the answer on the board, standing in front so the couldn't see it. They'd all be busy looking up at the numbers, down at their calculators, up for the next number, down at their calculators, then finally they'd get done and I'd step aside and let them see my answer and ask if they got the same. You could see the look of astonishment on some that I didn't need a calculator to do simple math.

Sometimes I'd ask if they could do long division and really throw them for a loop.
I'm training a 15 year old young lady to do retail sales at the farm right now. Really tough stuff, fish is $2.50 a lb, we don't charge for the partials. She made herself a cheat sheet so she didn't have to break out the calculator.... I suppose props for initiative. Although it still throws her for a loop if they want $60 worth.... How much is that? Or when we're moving fish, and the fish are 9 to the pound, and we've moved 3,400 lbs, how many fish is that -- dear in the headlight looks, every time. And when you say 10% less than 34,000, that doesn't get them any closer.

Of course, I fired a guy once that lost 15,000 fingerlings, because he thought 1/4" screens were smaller than the 1/8th" screens I told him to put in........ So, I agree, math matters. But so do fractions.
Good lord.

Well, after all , 4 IS smaller than 8, right?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
In these parts if you can do even rough figuring in your head, you count as a borderline genus.

Originally Posted by wabigoon

We are NOT surprised
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Good lord.

That's what HE said! LOL!

AND he had a two year degree!
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Good lord.

That's what HE said! LOL!

AND he had a two year degree!

From an "aquaculture school"?

I think the first requirement for anyone wishing to get into a fish culture program, probably any "farming" type program would be to serve a year in the construction trades learning simple stuff, like how to read a tape measure and cut pipe to length (without forgetting to account for the part that goes into the fitting)
Oh, yes, from the local aquaculture community college program -- you know the one. True story, we used to refer to him as "dumbass". Got to the point he started answering to it. I still don't miss him, and won't hire anyone out of that program again.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Math always matters. Wish people would rely more on it.

CORRECTION!!!!!!!! REAL MATH NOT THIS COMM9N CORE JUNK
Posted By: ironbender Re: math matters - 09/20/20
You want to see eyes roll back in their haids?

Ask how to share 5 potatoes among 9 people.

Before they hyperventilate, tell them .....

MASH ‘EM!
Posted By: Calvin Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Does anyone really expect a McDonald’s cashier to be able to count change?
Originally Posted by Calvin

I don’t. But can’t recall the last time I was there to check.

That’s why registers post the change due, so the children don’t have to think.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: math matters - 09/20/20
This is what happens when you give everyone a diploma whether they know the material or not.

I believe there should be intelligence tests for voting. But then there would be no Democrat Party.
Posted By: Calvin Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by ironbender

If I was running a McDonald’s, the last thing I would want is some kid at the register to “think”. Just give the the change required on the screen so the register balances at the end of the shift.
True. Why they are moving toward order kiosks.

All they have to do is bag the order and call out the order number.
Cheap food....cheap labor.

This ain't no fancy dinner service.

I think it was kind of a dick move....actually.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Ah yes, another democrat in the making. Same illogical reasoning. Same lack of common sense.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: math matters - 09/20/20

If I was running a McDonald’s, the last thing I would want is some kid at the register to “think”. Just give the the change required on the screen so the register balances at the end of the shift.

The cashier was unable to calculate the coin money offered as payment.

I've always taken counting change(in my head) for granted.

My biggest fear with the smart phone is that a bunch of (young)people are going to become way too reliant on them for figuring out pretty much anything.
Posted By: Muffin Re: math matters - 09/20/20
I'll give you 2,000 and 4 for the beasts..... that's 5,000

Posted By: wabigoon Re: math matters - 09/20/20
When I talked about head math, I meant multiplication.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

The cashier was unable to calculate the coin money offered as payment.

I've always taken counting change(in my head) for granted.

My biggest fear with the smart phone is that a bunch of (young)people are going to become way too reliant on them for figuring out pretty much anything.

They already can't get from point A to point B without the GPS on the dang things.
Well, sure. Try and buy a stupid map anymore.

Maybe SOMETIMES they might have a crappy fold up map......never a road atlas or Gazetteer.
Posted By: aspade Re: math matters - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by Muffin
I'll give you 2,000 and 4 for the beasts..... that's 5,000

I interpreted that as 5,000 in concessions over the 1,000 starting offer.
Posted By: mathman Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Come on Jim, can't we expect anything from anyone?

When I was a grocery store cashier as a kid I could count back change.

I know McD's isn't the Jet Propulsion Lab, but how low must our expectations go?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Wages have not kept up with expectations/inflation.
Posted By: rem141r Re: math matters - 09/21/20
change has flumoxed people for decades. i used to work in a cafeteria in the 70's and we had grown women who could not figure out what to do when a customer handed them a 10 dollar bill and 3 pennies when the bill was $9.28.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: math matters - 09/21/20
When I was in high school in the mid 60's, they had an advanced math class that was required for graduation unless you took higher classes. It included some algebra and you couldn't graduate without knowing basic math. It's too bad that they apparently don't still do that.
Although....if you want to hire the lowest wage qualified people......you should open an exact change only establishment.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: math matters - 09/21/20

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co][/quote]

*stolen from meme playground
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Wages have not kept up with expectations/inflation.

Neither has 'education'... They keep teaching to the bottom of the class and the Cream is left to rot and decay. BTDT and I have the stripes to match.
When I was a student, they had bonehead math for those who just couldn't. The other 95% had better or else.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: math matters - 09/21/20
I once spent days with pencil and paper deriving the capture range of a synchronization circuit.

Like digging a ditch with spoon.

MATHCAD had been invented 9 years earlier.

I should have used that.
Posted By: likeaduck Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Amish children know how to count change, and out of school at 14 years of age.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: math matters - 09/21/20

I'm training a 15 year old young lady to do retail sales at the farm right now. Really tough stuff, fish is $2.50 a lb, we don't charge for the partials. She made herself a cheat sheet so she didn't have to break out the calculator.... I suppose props for initiative. Although it still throws her for a loop if they want $60 worth.... How much is that? Or when we're moving fish, and the fish are 9 to the pound, and we've moved 3,400 lbs, how many fish is that -- dear in the headlight looks, every time. And when you say 10% less than 34,000, that doesn't get them any closer.

Never not funny when someone makes fun of folks who can't figure out math, yet they can't figure out spelling.

Of course, I fired a guy once that lost 15,000 fingerlings, because he thought 1/4" screens were smaller than the 1/8th" screens I told him to put in........ So, I agree, math matters. But so do fractions.

Yeah, because fractions are different than math.
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Never not funny when someone makes fun of folks who can't figure out math, yet they can't figure out spelling.

His spelling is accurate, but the word is *incorrect* for the situation. A normal person would infer what he meant without elitism, which is faulty here specifically for the purpose that the written word is more difficult than spoken, and especially with similar spellings having different meanings in English, plus the fact that auto text correcting applications constantly get it wrong. I can't count how many times 'autocorrect' has created errors grammatically for me when attempting to fix my spelling. The fact that you went out of the way to create an entire post about a 'misspelled' word based on a single character speaks volumes about your lack of conceptualization, and more on your own lack of mental cohesiveness.

Your attempt at sarcasm to delineate that fractions ARE math fails upon your own feet again because of the fact that few 'adults' today understand that large numbers in the denominator actually create a lower quantity, and that is obviously lost on you. Please continue on your self righteous path, as it's humorous to those of us whom aren't as basic as you.

Besides if you were really a super smart person about grammar instead of wannabe C(_)/\/T you wouldn't have used a double negative to start your post... an Engineer should know better than to 'through' stones in a glass house.

BTW: I always got Cs in 'Language Arts' because the curriculum was boring, not because I was 'stoopid'. YMMV
Posted By: JSTUART Re: math matters - 09/21/20

Prick of a thing to do to someone that is on the tail end of a ten hour shift.
Back when my boys were young and riding in the car seat behind me, we did math.

The deer in the field eat 3 apples a day. How many apples do two deer eat in 3 days.

Later on, buck deer eat four apples per day and does eat two.

Later on the math got more complicated, but it always involved deer, apples, days, weeks, months and the occasional random wolf that would kill a deer on the 12th day of the month.

Both of my boys are pretty good with math.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Ha! Cash, you reminded me, our first born, she likes tha over oldest, some they were teaching "Times", in school.

Like you I drilled her on multiplication tables. Turns out it was clock times. By the time she got to math she'd forgotten it all. laugh
Back when my boys were young and riding in the car seat behind me, we did math.

The deer in the field eat 3 apples a day. How many apples do two deer eat in 3 days.

Later on, buck deer eat four apples per day and does eat two.

Later on the math got more complicated, but it always involved deer, apples, days, weeks, months and the occasional random wolf that would kill a deer on the 12th day of the month.

Both of my boys are pretty good with math.

There are 12 deer in the field.

7 of the deer does.

Buck deer eat four apples per day.

Doe deer eat two apples per day.

A mean wolf kills a doe deer on Tuesday morning before her breakfast.

How many apples do the deer eat in a 7-Day week?

My youngest son was doing this in his head in second grade. It might have taken him 10 minutes to think out the answer, but back then he always got it right.

-------------------

He is 15 now and going through "Dad's Driving School".

Changing a flat tire at night without lights in a thunderstorm is part of the Core curriculum.

My oldest son is 25. He has never had an accident. He has never had a ticket. He checks his tire pressure and his tires for even wear every week. To quote my oldest son "Fugh Dad's Driving School."
Years ago, my 2 sons were both pretty good at math in grade school. When the youngest was in maybe the 3d grade, he said something about numbers couldn't be less than 0. I tried to explain the concept of negative numbers using sea level as an example. So what happens? Only a few days later, his teacher said something about 0 being the smallest number. Jr waved his hand and told the teacher all about negative numbers and sea level. She got a shock with that one. I wish I'd been there to hear it. The teacher was a personal friend of my wife. She called and asked where in the world a 3d grader would learn about negative numbers.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: math matters - 09/21/20
The simple math, not so hard. Advanced algebra, I'm not so smart.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Gawd dang.....hopefully no one was waiting behind her while she embarrassed that employee.

Had to happen...The McD worker wasn’t gonna give her the drink for .93 cents. 😎
Posted By: dassa Re: math matters - 09/21/20

What percentage of fractions are not math? Express your answer as a ratio.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: math matters - 09/21/20
It always seemed to me that both the cashier and the customer should be smart enough that the cashier could say, "Your bill was $4.71. You gave me a five. Your change is 29 cents, " at which point he/she would hand the customer a quarter and four pennies, and they would both, as I said, be smart enough to see that it was correct. I never could understand this fanatical obsession with having change "counted back".
Posted By: Raeford Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by mathman

Come on Jim, can't we expect anything from anyone?

When I was a grocery store cashier as a kid I could count back change.

I know McD's isn't the Jet Propulsion Lab, but how low must our expectations go?

Betting they put ice in their.....seltzers too
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It always seemed to me that both the cashier and the customer should be smart enough that the cashier could say, "Your bill was $4.71. You gave me a five. Your change is 29 cents, " at which point he/she would hand the customer a quarter and four pennies, and they would both, as I said, be smart enough to see that it was correct. I never could understand this fanatical obsession with having change "counted back".
You weren't around when coins had value. Now days being off a nickel or dime means nothing but at one time, it was valuable money.
Get what you pay for.

Still true. There aint no "extra" today. If you are giving extra, time and time again.......you are a sucker and wont ever be paid to match.
Posted By: ironbender Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You weren't around when coins had value. Now days being off a nickel or dime means nothing but at one time, it was valuable money.

Not true.
John used to trade pretty shells for items.
If you give him 20 muskrat and 50 beaver pelts.....he will give you red cloth.

Now thats a very good bargain for you!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

His spelling is accurate, but the word is *incorrect* for the situation. A normal person would infer what he meant without elitism, which is faulty here specifically for the purpose that the written word is more difficult than spoken, and especially with similar spellings having different meanings in English, plus the fact that auto text correcting applications constantly get it wrong. I can't count how many times 'autocorrect' has created errors grammatically for me when attempting to fix my spelling. The fact that you went out of the way to create an entire post about a 'misspelled' word based on a single character speaks volumes about your lack of conceptualization, and more on your own lack of mental cohesiveness.

Your attempt at sarcasm to delineate that fractions ARE math fails upon your own feet again because of the fact that few 'adults' today understand that large numbers in the denominator actually create a lower quantity, and that is obviously lost on you. Please continue on your self righteous path, as it's humorous to those of us whom aren't as basic as you.

Besides if you were really a super smart person about grammar instead of wannabe C(_)/\/T you wouldn't have used a double negative to start your post... an Engineer should know better than to 'through' stones in a glass house.

BTW: I always got Cs in 'Language Arts' because the curriculum was boring, not because I was 'stoopid'. YMMV

Weigh moor bettor job on thee com meant than eye cud half dun.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: math matters - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Not true.
John used to trade pretty shells for items.

That is correct. Even then, I thought that both parties should be smart enough to look at the smaller shells returned as change and be able to calculate that they represented the amount tendered minus the cost of the product. (For the record, I still feel that it is worth my time and effort to stoop down and pick up a penny.)
during the Depression, my grandparents lost a farm because of those coins. They couldn't raise $200 worth of them to pay the mortgage. All they could do was barter and the banks didn't accept corn or pigs as payment.
Posted By: persiandog Re: math matters - 09/26/20
Posted By: las Re: math matters - 09/26/20
Maybe unrelated- maybe not....

Why the heck is there a coin shortage "due to Covid19"? Paper cash too sometimes.

I hmust be too smart to figure this one out. Or something... smile

people hoarding, not spending, banks closed, no one going to banks???? Nothing I can think of really computes.
© 24hourcampfire