Home
I was tired of fighting the 3 point on my tractor. Especially hooking up the mower with the male 3 point pins. I don't know the correct terminology for that style.

A full blown quick hitch didn't seem like it would work for me, But this type system so far is fantastic. What would be even better is if you could weld these on. I understand in Europe they use a system like this and once upon a time one of the American brand tractors like a Case or Allis Chalmers used it.

Original

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pat's Easy Change

The top link is still as it was?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The top link is still as it was?

I had to buy a longer one. It extends your bottom lift arms about 4 inches. Some PTO shafts may need an extension to work. There are tons on videos and comparisons on YouTube
All of Jake's Case/IH three points have slide, snap close arms.
Interesting.

I've become fond of the fender mounted lift/lower controls.

Especially when hooking up alone.
Been considering a quick hitch for my John Deere just to simplify switching back and forth between bush hog and pasture poop drag. Costs about $500 tho.

For instance, I just completed mowing yesterday(with bush hog) horse pastures and now need to unhook BH and hook up chain harrow. I need to use the harrow monthly to keep horse poop broken and scattered, so a Quick attach/detach unit sounds good. Maybe for Christmas ?????
Years ago they used to call Ford's three point hitch a , "Sloppy Drawbar". No solid drawbar back then.
There is one dissenting review on YouTube and he was using a real tractor not a compact like mine. So it's possible once you get into larger cat 2 or 3 that the bolt on retrofit isn't stout enough. Then again he may not have got it adjusted right.
Any sort of a quicktach makes life a lot simpler. The Balderson on the Cat loader is a Godsend.
A little LUBE is your best friend..LOL..
International had their own quick connect, it was a two point system for 2 bottom plows and 5 ft disc , they are not often for sale !
I've only got 15 hp so the 4 inches would be a non starter. I can barely lift the Bush hog the way it is and I hardly have any weight on the front when I take the weight off the tail wheel.
Originally Posted by coobie

That’s what she said.

- Michael Scott
$110 at Harbor Freight for Cat 1. Available with various colors of paint from various distributors in Cat I, II, or III.

[Linked Image from shop.harborfreight.com]
My big NH tractor came with a quick hitch, and while I'm sure it's got it's uses, a rear mounted hay spear isn't one of them. I took it off and went back to using the 3 point hitch for the hay spear. The quick hitch wouldn't allow it to pick the hay up off the ground more than just a few inches.
There is one of those Cat3 hitches in the grass some where. It came with a 1470 I bought about 1990. I'll sell it cheap.
I had a neighbor who’d simply buy a separate tractor for each piece of equipment. I guess he really hated the 3 point hitch.
Years ago they used to call Ford's three point hitch a , "Sloppy Drawbar". No solid drawbar back then.

Wabi, this is what a Ford 8N/9N/NAA drawbar assembly looked like. The assembly is still available new from Steiner.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Or if you were using the draw bar mounted onto the lift arms, anti-sway A bars mounted from below the fenders to the end of the draw bar which took all the side sway out of that system, and support arms were used in an A configuration from the top three point hook to the draw bar ends, which took all the weight off from the hydraulic system.
I am using a Pat's on my Mahindra 1626. I like it okay. Much better than not having it, but I still have to wrestle with it a bit. Seems like that Harbor Freight one would be easier.
Shooter, our NAA has one of those. Many of the 9.and 8's did not seem to.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I am using a Pat's on my Mahindra 1626. I like it okay. Much better than not having it, but I still have to wrestle with it a bit. Seems like that Harbor Freight one would be easier.

The quick hitches like the one HF sells work great as long as the implements you are using adhere to the Cat 1 Geometry. the problem most have is that the implement manufacturer didn't adhere to the geometry for the hitch. in the picture below they left out the height for cat 0 which is 12".

[Linked Image from gardentractortalk.com]
Why not just get extendable draft links? I think its mandatory.

And I agree, the fender mounted controls are the bees knees. I can drive the tractor forward and reverse from back there, extremely slowly however, to further assist... as well as raising or lowering the draft links.
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Pat's Easy Change

Keep that well oiled! Excessively so.

Had those on a tractor I traded off last year, and they worked well. But they had to be well oiled to do so.

Any rust or dust in that moving latch will make ya cuss, and get the hammer out! laugh
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I had a neighbor who’d simply buy a separate tractor for each piece of equipment. I guess he really hated the 3 point hitch.

I like this method.

Especially if you have land scattered around and are in the process of doing several things at once.

Or if a tractor has an issue.

And if you use several machines it helps to keep one or two from stacking up the hours.

Not 3-point specific but it also sucks unhooking. Just a pain in the ass if it's muddy or really cold.

Not too mention near constant loader work.

Toolbar

Air Drill

Disk

Bale unroller

Diker

Ditcher

Mower

Round balers

Grain auger

Hay processor

Mixer wagon

What else?

Grain cart(aka deer feeder)?

Back to 3-point,

Bale spear?

I never had too much trouble changing implements, adjustable draft links are helpful, so is backing up square to the implement.
Shooter, our NAA has one of those. Many of the 9.and 8's did not seem to.

Options and aftermarket attachment.

There were about ten 8N tractors in the extended family through the 70s and 80s. I never saw an actual factory drawbar on any of them. But several had home made attachments which used the belly pin to pull from and were stabilized via the A frame drawbar supports as described above.

We used both of the shown stabilizer sets together to prevent sidesway, and support the load.

[Linked Image from static-assets.imageservice.cloud]
[Linked Image from gulfsouthequip.com]
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

And I agree, the fender mounted controls are the bees knees. I can drive the tractor forward and reverse from back there, extremely slowly however, to further assist... as well as raising or lowering the draft links.

Lots of dead farmers out there from attempting to move a tractor from the ground.

Been guilty of it myself. Standing directly in front of a 15.5x38 Ag tire and tapping the control lever on the Hydro 70. "Just need another inch to hitch up the three bottom roll over plow, or the eight foot hydraulic terracing blade."

I actually much prefer hitching the Cat I implements to the little tractors. I can just pick up one side of the implement and move it to the tractor by hand.
I've got 'em on my little Kabota 2601. I love them.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
$110 at Harbor Freight for Cat 1. Available with various colors of paint from various distributors in Cat I, II, or III.

[Linked Image from shop.harborfreight.com]

Much appreciate that information, Idaho Shooter.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I was tired of fighting the 3 point on my tractor. Especially hooking up the mower with the male 3 point pins. I don't know the correct terminology for that style.

A full blown quick hitch didn't seem like it would work for me, But this type system so far is fantastic. What would be even better is if you could weld these on. I understand in Europe they use a system like this and once upon a time one of the American brand tractors like a Case or Allis Chalmers used it.

Original

Pat's Easy Change

They make a weld on type, I have them on my Kubota.

There is one of those Cat3 hitches in the grass some where. It came with a 1470 I bought about 1990. I'll sell it cheap.

Will it fit an Oliver 1850 ?

kwg
Never seen that. Damn that's neat. Holy balls would that be handy. Figured one of the reasons God gave me a strong back was so I could wrestle implements on and off the 3 point hitch.

Never broke a major bone, but thought I did last year when the stabilizer bar caught me across the forearm fugging with getting a homemade blade hooked on my old Case.
It will fit any Cat 111 I think?
It will fit any Cat 111 I think?
i use a pats because of different widths of implements. the harbor freight style will only fit one size.

the pats is not perfect but i can hook to a 10 ft bush hog and only get off once and never wrestle with it. narrow implements are a snap too.
I have been using Pat's first generation quick hitch for about 15 years now on one of my tractors. Not perfect but it has made life easier hooking up heavy implements. My big tractor has extendable hitch arms and I like them too.

I priced extendable hitch arms for the JD before buying Pat's system, was not really an option due to cost. They do make the hitch arms a bit longer but I have not found it to be a problem. I would buy them again.

A quick hitch would not work for me as my impliments are different widths across the hookups.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

Lots of dead farmers out there from attempting to move a tractor from the ground.

Been guilty of it myself. Standing directly in front of a 15.5x38 Ag tire and tapping the control lever on the Hydro 70. "Just need another inch to hitch up the three bottom roll over plow, or the eight foot hydraulic terracing blade."

I actually much prefer hitching the Cat I implements to the little tractors. I can just pick up one side of the implement and move it to the tractor by hand.

If you die from the new JD’s driving over you while your using the fender controls, your the slowest knucklehead known to man. I would say it will go a whopping .0005mph in that mode, and the parking brake has to be engaged so the very millisecond you let go of one of the two buttons (for safety sake) that has to be depressed for it to work, it instantly stops.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4PBy5mDp3U

The next thing I always get as well, hydraulic top n tilt. Although the tilt feature isnt worth a hoot when hooking up, the hydro top link is badass.

Really though, extendable draft links is really the only thing the average bear needs. You dont even need to be perfectly lined up with the implement, you can be off cant 3-4” and the draft links will correct it when you raise them the first time.
Originally Posted by coobie

This^^^, vid coulda been 1 minute shorter with some bushing lube.

Wait, what?
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Interesting.

I've become fond of the fender mounted lift/lower controls.

Especially when hooking up alone.

The fender mounted controls are the best idea Deere has had in a very long time.
© 24hourcampfire