Home
Posted By: Hubert Drown a Skunk - 09/20/20
Anybody ever Drown a Skunk ?.. I just drowned two and don't smell any worse than usual...HAHAHA
Posted By: Dutch Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/20/20
I've given swimming lessons to skunks before... they don't seem particularly good at it. My usual location was a trout raceway, always wondered if the fish smelled for 14 days afterwards.... wink
Posted By: Stan V Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/20/20
Yep, place em in a tank of water real slow and they won't spray.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/20/20
Screw that... I'd be afraid of the rabid little bastids biting me while I hold them around the neck under water. So I just shoot 'em. A little stink never hurt nobody.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/20/20
Bad Karma drowning things. Never had occasion to kill one but I’d much prefer to shoot ‘em. I rather like the smell of skunk.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Bad Karma drowning things. Never had occasion to kill one but I’d much prefer to shoot ‘em. I rather like the smell of skunk.

You're thinking of weed Birdie........ grin

Hows that pup doing? disown you yet?
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/20/20
Sweet pistol Hunt. Is that a woodsman? How accuarate?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/20/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Screw that... I'd be afraid of the rabid little bastids biting me while I hold them around the neck under water. So I just shoot 'em. A little stink never hurt nobody.....

I still luv the pic of 'Pumpkin'

Skunks.....hate em

I keep a live trap set in the back field...

When I catch a skunk....I simply dispatch it my my trusty Ruger 77 17 M2

2 days later I dump it out for the crows & magpies

More targets.............. grin

17M2........

skunk is dead right now !
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Is this how people killed the to get the skin for a hat? My dad used to tell me that if you shot them in the head they won’t spray. He later denied that when I tried his method. A couple seconds after the shot it was game on for musk. Disclosure. I checked about 15 minutes after my attempt and the skunk was gone. It had to be a glancing shot off it’s noggin cause it was down when I left it.
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by Hubert
Anybody ever Drown a Skunk ?.. I just drowned two and don't smell any worse than usual...HAHAHA

Here in North Dakota, I shoot every skunk that I have a chance to. Several years ago, when he was a teenager, my son stepped on a skunk while we were out grouse hunting. He was is some taller grass, didn't see the animal and the wind was strong enough that he didn't smell it. He wasn't sprayed, directly, but got the fluid on his outerwear. Thankfully, the skunk didn't bite or scratch him so there were no rabies concerns. My son was NOT happy about the two hour car ride home in his undwear though, and never went grouse hunting again. That was 13 years ago. If I have a gun in the vehicle, I will shoot any skunk I see - maybe even in your front yard. I'll apologize for doing it, but only after the deed is done. No quarter given as far as I'm concerned.....

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
been sprayed once, don't throw your clothes in the washing machine for your mom to find.
Posted By: TF49 Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Friend of mine had a pecan orchard in New Mexico. Skunks were a common problem and needed thinning at times.

He initially started live trapping near his house and quickly figured that to be a bad idea. So he set his live traps out amongst the trees and that worked better.

He would never shoot them in the trap.... made a stink every time.

He would slowly approach the trap and throw an old blanket over the trap. Said skunks would rarely fire when covered. He would then pick up the trap/blanket up and lower into a drainage ditch. Skunks would quickly drown and never fire.

Retrieve trap, dispose of skunk and reset.
Posted By: _B78_ Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
or you could shoot them in the head.... however do not ever under any circumstances round a corner on a 4wheeler and stop while they are behind a huge pine tree with their foot in a trap...... Bad Stuff Happens.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag

You're thinking of weed Birdie........ grin

Hows that pup doing? disown you yet?

Weed ain’t a bad smell neither,and it’s a pretty plant for sure, never did like the feeling of being stoned tho, it’s like a heavy blanket on your brain, my drugs are alcohol and caffeine.

The dogs? Blondie is totally devoted, doesn’t want to leave my side, but she’s also the one who waited by the field for three weeks after she was dumped. Tough too, you’d never guess she had a canine hysterectomy just 48 hours ago.

Cleburne? He’s my friend and all, and he did save my neck when that guy showed up at my open front door at 4am, but his pups sing “Papa was a rolling stone, wherever he laid his hat was his home....”
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by Stan V

Id like to watch you do that, Stan. Got a video, especially regarding the "placing" part.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Every skunk I've ever caught in a live trap and shot in the head sprayed. I stand upwind and get the heck away, then later I'll dump the carcass on a woodpile and give them a Viking funeral.....
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
I've caught plenty in live traps here, and standard procedure is either gas them or drown them. I don't particularly like drowning them, seems kinda mean, so if I have time I'll gas them.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20

So, uh, just how long was it did you live in Afreaka now?
Posted By: stantdm Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Every skunk I catch in a live trap gets shot. They spray every time. My wife is a great live trap setter. We average about thirty a year I would think.

I thought the tarp over the trap helped but I still got stunk up most of the time. Leave your wallet and belt in the house. Wear rubber boots, coveralls, and a ball cap. You still are going to stink but it easier to clean up. I leave the clothes and boots outside for a few days and they are tolerable to wear again but are stored in the barn.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Many over the years in 8” irrigation pipe.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
I live on a farm and have skunks around quite often. Since they are excellent mousers, and also eat yellow jackets, I give them a pass. Ymmv.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
My son was NOT happy about the two hour car ride home in his undwear though, and never went grouse hunting again.

"Never went grouse hunting again" because of that? WOW.

Maybe indoor sports are more suited to the lad and he wasn't going to be a bird hunter anyways. Just sayin'.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Id like to watch you do that, Stan. Got a video, especially regarding the "placing" part.

No video, but when I say place I mean slowly lower into the water tank. Then while that's taking place open the grave space and later slide skunk in final resting place. Memorialize as you wish. grin

By the way, the trap is covered by a tarp so Mr skunk can't see you
Posted By: Skunkman Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I live on a farm and have skunks around quite often. Since they are excellent mousers, and also eat yellow jackets, I give them a pass. Ymmv.

People don't realize they mouse better than any cat ever could. We trap them for a living, and might have one out of 100 spray. Not a direct shot, just a little warning sign when you cover them. If you're going to dispatch with a firearm, never shoot them in the head. First they will just about always spray, and second if they do happen to have the rabies virus you will be exposing it to the air for a possible exposure. We euthanize with a CO2 chamber, they go lights out quickly. Others will use chloroform, and some use a lethal injection from a syringe pole. Be careful about using drowning as a euthanization method,(or at least talking about it) as you may be exposing yourself to a felony animal cruelty charge unknowingly. Just a heads up.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
I'd like to hear more about the CO2 method
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Had one fall down into the 12' pvc pipe that our hydrant comes up out of.

He's in there alive. Right next to our bard door. I don't want to shoot and risk putting a hole in on of the water lines. I tried to give him something to climb up out of there, but that didn't work.

So I ended up gassing him with propane. After gassing him and I was sure he was dead, I attached a big treble to a pole and removed him.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Drown a Skunk - 09/21/20
Over the past 20 years here at the stone yard we've had an on going battle with the ground hogs. Several years ago the bastards dug a hole underneath my building under the show room. We'd fill it in and they'd open it back up. We'd live trap them and relocate or shoot them, but more would move in. In the mean time, we had a resident skunk living around here. It was almost all white and one of my guys named it Snowball. Snowball never really bothered anyone until one day he decided to take up residence in that groundhog hole. The whole building stunk. Snowball crossed the line. I've got this crazy redneck guy that works for me who hunts and traps. He suggested swim lessons. So my son brought in his live trap and they covered it ahead of time with a piece of a blue tarp. The next morning Snowball was in the trap. They filled up the bucket on the wheel loader with water, picked up the trap real careful and lowered him into the bucket. Snowball failed his swimming test and he never sprayed.

After that, we filled in the ground hog hole one last time and covered it with a big ass piece of flagstone. They tried to dig it back open, but they have failed.
Posted By: jplee3 Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/06/23
Originally Posted by jaguartx

No video, but when I say place I mean slowly lower into the water tank. Then while that's taking place open the grave space and later slide skunk in final resting place. Memorialize as you wish. grin

By the way, the trap is covered by a tarp so Mr skunk can't see you

Just stumbled across this post - is it better to place them in a tank full of water or better to put them in an empty tank and slowly fill with water?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/06/23
Originally Posted by jplee3
Just stumbled across this post - is it better to place them in a tank full of water or better to put them in an empty tank and slowly fill with water?

LOL.

It's best to stand 20 yards away, shoot 'em in the head, then give the neighbor's kid $5 to bag it and put it in a dumpster a couple of blocks away. laugh

Great first post! grin
Posted By: smokepole Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/06/23
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I've caught plenty in live traps here, and standard procedure is either gas them or drown them. I don't particularly like drowning them, seems kinda mean, so if I have time I'll gas them.

Gas them? How does that work, and what kind of gas?
Posted By: Txtrpr Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/06/23
As an ADC guy I have trapped many, as a target in pvc tube traps. Dispatch in water. If in a foothold acetone injected in chest cavity, done in 20 seconds no spray.
Posted By: rayporter Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/07/23
last year i had 7 that lived under the air conditioning unit. i live trapped them all, one at a time. put a tarp over the trap and lowered them into a water trough for swimming lessons.
Posted By: DMc Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/07/23
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Sweet pistol Hunt. Is that a woodsman? How accuarate?
Guess Hunts didn't see your question. Yes it's a Woodsman, Second Series. Finest .22 ever made IMHO.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/07/23
CO2 works great. They don't get alarmed unless there is audible and/or visible commotion, so no spray usually. I have placed trapped skunk and trap (covered with old tarp) into a big lawn/leaf bag, then used a CO2 extinguisher. The noise may be unpleasant enough to agitate your trapped skunk. A smallish block of dry ice will generally do the same job. Avoid direct contact with the ice for both you and the skunk.

Drowning seems to be fairly easy when they have been trapped. I tie some paracord to the trap before baiting and setting, then fix up an Evel Knievel ramp leading just to the rim of a horse tank with deep-enough water. Pull the cord slowly and when the ramp quits, Senor Skunk and trap sink quickly in the water. Remove trap and skunk in an hour or two, empty the trap and dispose of the polecat. I have not been sprayed. yet

I'm interested in a humane kill, even for these pests, so a firearm is another choice when they are out and about and you are packing. Preferred armament for me is small gauge shotgun (think 20 gauge or smaller) but a small caliber belt gun can work fine. Wadcutters in my 32 S & W Long are very effective for head shots. A 22 short is also an easy way to head-shoot a trapped skunk. I have not been as pleased with the results when a non-trapped skunk is hit anywhere besides the CNS with a single slug, like from a 22. They seem to be a big target, but most of that is hair and a hit to the body often is not an immediately lethal wound, which can result in a spraying episode.
Posted By: bludog Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/07/23
I use a fairly heavy duty live trap, never set close to our house. Shoot them with a 22LR from about 30 feet, and let them air out for a day or two, then dispose of appropriately. Will leave the trap out in the weather until it's been through a good rain shower or two, then put it back under the lean to, ready for the next small critter that's messing with stuff. Trap may still have a slight skunk odor, but definitely bearable.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/07/23
Texas heart shot with a .30-06. I was returning from an unsuccessful deer hunt on the back of the farm. 300 yards to the house, and the stink beat me home!
Posted By: 160user Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/07/23
A syringe attached to a painters pole is the ticket. 10 CC's of cheap vodka into the chest cavity and they are typically down before the plunger is all the way in. I have killed probably 50 of them like this and only had 1 spray.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Drown a Skunk - 07/07/23
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Over the past 20 years here at the stone yard we've had an on going battle with the ground hogs. Several years ago the bastards dug a hole underneath my building under the show room. We'd fill it in and they'd open it back up. We'd live trap them and relocate or shoot them, but more would move in. In the mean time, we had a resident skunk living around here. It was almost all white and one of my guys named it Snowball. Snowball never really bothered anyone until one day he decided to take up residence in that groundhog hole. The whole building stunk. Snowball crossed the line. I've got this crazy redneck guy that works for me who hunts and traps. He suggested swim lessons. So my son brought in his live trap and they covered it ahead of time with a piece of a blue tarp. The next morning Snowball was in the trap. They filled up the bucket on the wheel loader with water, picked up the trap real careful and lowered him into the bucket. Snowball failed his swimming test and he never sprayed.

After that, we filled in the ground hog hole one last time and covered it with a big ass piece of flagstone. They tried to dig it back open, but they have failed.

An update on this old post.

Last Winter/Spring they moved back in under our office again. We set up a trail cam so we could see what it was doing and set the live trap.

A bunch of us didn't think that swimming lessons was very cool, so we decided to shoot it this time. After a few days, we got our skunk. The trap was set in front of the hole between the shrubs and the building. My son shot it in the head with a 22 and the SOB sprayed all over the side of the building.

We filled the hole with concrete and laid flagstone over top of it. A few weeks later, we had another one dig a new hole next to that and moved in. We set everything back up and baited. One of my truck drivers said, " Don't shoot it, just cover it up and put it in the back of YOUR truck and take it down to the park and let it go". About a mile away from here is a county park on the other side of the river, so the SOB can't come back. I told him if that's what he wanted to do, he could put in his truck and take it down to the park. He said OK just to prove me wrong. The next morning we had our skunk. We had covered the trap with black plastic prior with a string on the handle. He picked it up real slow and put in the back of his truck and took it down the road and let it go. No spray.
© 24hourcampfire