Home
Posted By: wabigoon Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Jeff's thread on sounds has me thinking on smells. Two cycle outboard exhaust, shotgun shells still smoking ejected from a double barrel.

Bacon sizzling in the pan. Yours?
Posted By: 5shot Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Hoppe's #9. I don't use it, but dad always did.
Standing by for Slum to say raunchy box...
My wife's perfume.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Jeff's thread on sounds has me thinking on smells. Two cycle outboard exhaust, shotgun shells still smoking ejected from a double barrel.

The smell of gun smoke and two stroke for sure. I’d also add the smell of the pines and fern after a rain.
Pine wood smoke on a crisp evening.
A favorite camping memory of mine is my dad waking up before dawn to go fishing. He would try being quiet, but always made a little noise while making coffee. The sound of a blue-tip match being struck, followed by the smell of the match is a memory burned into my mind. Then came the smell of coffee being made in a percolating pot atop the propane stove. To this day, the smells of a blue-tip match, percolating coffee and burning propane in a damp camper, take me back to the days of being a happy kid, enjoying life in a simple time.
Chit house door on a tuna boat.
Posted By: Dess Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Puppy breath.
Sourdough biscuits, eggs and sizzling bacon cooking in the old sheep wagon at elk camp. It just doesn't get any better than that.
Wet decaying leaves in a stand of hardwoods, late Fall.
Was it the smell of Mellorine eminating from my Grandads old chest style freezer when i was 3-5 years old and before they upgraded, or a combination of that mixed wit the smell of an open brick of Days Work or Brown Mule?

The smell of a pine forest. We lived in central and west Texas and every trip to east Texas i was in anticipation of that. Those exposed all the time never noticed.
Waking up and my grandparents house, with Granpa cooking breakfast. Can still smell it and its been a long time.
Dark fired tobacco barns wafting up through the hollows here.

AND....we’ve had this same thread before.

Because JamesJr will also agree with on the tobacco barns, as he replied the same on the previous thread
Poontang
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Yeast infections can get s bit memorable....
My high school girlfriends hair.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Smoking hull of a WW 20 ga on a snow covered morning.

The sizing lube, beeswax stuff.....my dad had when he used to cast/ sell bullets.

Like G96 way better than Hoppes.

Mom used to smoke, Merit menthol and lit w a match.
That start up smelled good.

I absolutely detest the smell of gasoline, cat pizz or sauerkraut.

Go from fine to nuke china finger on the red button pizzed in a nanosecond

Posted By: horse1 Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Grandpa was a Standard Oil (Amoco) bulk dealer for 30+yrs. He had a 25x50 steel building with a gravel floor. The dust in that building smells different than gravel dust out on a gravel road. I could be kidnapped and blindfolded and if I ever ended up in that building, I'd know exactly where I was just by the smell.

My dad bought a 1937 Chevy 2-door Coupe. While I was in Jr. High in the mid-80's we completed the 3rd restoration of the car. There is a smell when you get close or into the car. Unburned fuel in the exhaust system, throw in a little bit of 'Ode de Gear-Lube", and the faint smell of Grandpa's steel building gravel where the car sat for ~7-8yrs between restoration 2 and 3.

Field dressing/cleaning Sharptail or Ruffed grouse as well as the emanations of anyone involved for the next 2-3 days. #Grousefarts

Elk have a smell all their own, sort of a mix of "horse and juniper".

Pre-DPF diesel exhaust. Neighbor in the campground removed the DPF system on his pickup and I stopped by to ask him about it as I have the same truck/motor. HIs wife asked, "How did you know it's been worked on?" I told her, "I can smell it and hear it."

The smell of a mid-summer warm weather storm coming when the temp very quickly drops 10+ degrees and it "smells like rain" just before the rain starts

AA452 Winchester powder smoke.
Originally Posted by blacktailbuster
Waking up and my grandparents house, with Granpa cooking breakfast. Can still smell it and its been a long time.

Yep. Grandad knew how to fix bacon. Have that deep skillet filled half way with boiling hog lard and the whole pound of bacon swimming in it. It cooked every bit of the bacon strips. I think he had cut them in half and stirred them around. There were no under fried bits of fat.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
My theory is the difference between poontang and tooneytang boils down to her wiping direction.
Posted By: mart Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
I know this will sound crazy but I always liked the smell of just a tinge of skunk in the cool fall morning air.
Originally Posted by mart
I know this will sound crazy but I always liked the smell of just a tinge of skunk in the cool fall morning air.

Cheech and Chong approve this message
Posted By: Gus Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
to try to adhere to the spirit of the thread i'll offer the sweet smell of money.

that is, anybody been around a pulp mill in the 70's & 80's?

cooking the pulp flooded the whole community.

and thusly we love the sweet smell.
Posted By: pullit Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
The first time you gut a deer and bust/cut into the guts, you will never forget that smell.....and you will do your dead level best to never do that again.....
The of BBQ being smoked on pit.
Turnip greens being cooked
The earthy smell of a cornfield always reminds me of summer visits to the Gandparent's farm in NC.

The clean smell of fresh rain, in particular during and right after a thunderstorm. Doesn't remind me of anything specific just always liked it.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
It's getting more rare every year, but, the sweet smell of a slightly (or majorly) rich-running (over-gassed) carbureted motor. Typically I "sniff" for it when I see likely V-8 powered cars or trucks from the early 80's and older.
Pipe smoke !
Posted By: DCR48 Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Pipe tabbaco, port oxford cedar arrows, old feed stores. Hoppes 9, a true greasey spoon burger and coffee.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
When I was in school, the sound and smell of Mom and Dad's coffee pot percolating before dawn as Dad was getting ready to leave for work.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
My dad’s English Leather, my uncle’s Borkum Riff pipe smoke, the grease smell in dad’s tool box, honeysuckle in bloom, sourdough bread in the oven
Posted By: super T Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Sagebrush after a light rain. A fresh cut alfalfa field. A new car.
Napalm in the morning.
The smell of the Pacific Ocean on the way back from that schithole Middle East.
Hot buttered popcorn.
Posted By: ipopum Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Hot bread just out of the oven . It can be sourdough or regular.
Freshly mowed grass in the Spring time.

The smell of Privit reminds me of Cape Cod when I was a kid.

I'd have to agree with mrfudd on the honeysuckle smell. It brings back memories of Summer when I was a kid.
Old Bill's farts as he pulled Grandads plow.
The earth after a hard rain after a long dry spell.

Visiting my grandparents in Virginia, the smell of grandma making breakfast, bacon, sausage, coffee.

Visiting my Italian grandparents in New York, the smells of Italian cooking. As soon as you entered the apartment building (which they owned and landlorded), you could smell it.
The smell of a freshly fired paper shotgun hull. Hoppes #9. Honeysuckle aroma wafting through my bedroom window. The smell of fresh perked coffee.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Lots of good ones here, some I connect with.

How about the smell of dressing out my first Javalina and wondering WTF did I ever consider shooting one.
Teen Spirit.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Pinaud Clubman aftershave.

My dad used it and so did the barber that we got out hair cut at in the 60's.

One whiff and I get a mental collage of pictures of my dad, the barbershop and my first peek at a playboy magazine.
Napalm in the morning.

Seriously.
My grandfather’s doberman used to release some hellish SBDs while Barnaby Jones was on. Had to be the Fritos the old man was hand feeding him
He more than earned those postal rubber band shots to the ball sack while sleeping (the dog)
Posted By: Redneck Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Fresh cut hay.. The oils from the insides of a WWII submarine.. Hoppe's #9.. My grandfather's basement wood shop - the various stains, finishing oils etc.. I sure miss him..
Originally Posted by Redneck
My grand father's basement wood shop - the various stains, finishing oils etc.. I sure miss him..

^^^THIS^^^
The smell of a cheerleader in the morning.
Posted By: mathman Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Good memory smells:

Dad's pipe tobacco and smoke

Freshly fired paper shotgun shells

Burger grease mixed with Lea & Perrins sizzling on the lava rocks in Dad's old gas grill
Big League chewrn gum
Posted By: greydog Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
I grew up around two very different industries and the smells around them remain pleasant to me. The first was the timber/lumber industry and the smell of freshly cut lumber or logs makes me want to stop and just breathe it in. The smell of red fir is my favorite. The other industry was the petrochemical industry and I kind of like the smell of sulfur! It is one of those nostalgic odors for me.
I really like the smell of elk. Gunpowder; single base or double base.
From my motocross days, the smell of two-stroke exhaust; especially if burning Bardahl VBA. Hoppes #9 and G96 gun treatment.
Sadly, as I age, my sense of smell is diminishing and I feel I am missing out on a lot. GD
Posted By: PWN Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
A new leather baseball glove, a pine tar rag and the smell of fresh mowed ball field.
Posted By: oldcuss Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
My Grandmothers Saturday morning kitchen; fresh baked bread, raised rolls, drop biscuits, doughnuts
two cakes (one yellow one chocolate) six pies. Just about every Saturday.
Our woods have a smell that starts around mid October that I love.

I love the smell of my Mom’s pot roast cooking.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
freshly cut alfalfa, corn silage, bacon sizzling in a pan, crown royal on the rocks.....you know......stuff like that.
Some of you guys watch too many movies. Napalm smells the same ALL the time.
My grandparents’ house. He smoked a pipe. She always had something in the oven and a fresh pot of coffee brewing.
As much as I love the smell of fresh coffee percolating, I love the smell of grinding the beans better !
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
The aroma of AM coffee brewing, Grandma's meatballs frying on Sundays (Every Sunday !!), 2 cycle engines, The clean natural scent of a woman you are crazy about, Fall mornings at the ocean while striper fishing.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Just fired paper shot shell.
Dursban TC.

the xylene carrier especially
- The smell of turkey cooking on Christmas Day at my grandparents house.
- The smell of the woods while bird hunting in October.

I lost my sense of smell & taste about 6 yrs ago but I do have a lot of other things to be very thankful for.
Old trucks.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I lost my sense of smell & taste about 6 yrs ago but I do have a lot of other things to be very thankful for.

So, you had covid, 6 years ago !

wink
The smell of a dead bull elk or deer in thick cover...You know you’re close to finding him.

👍🏻😎
Originally Posted by mathman
Good memory smells:

Freshly fired paper shotgun shells.

Yep, and dead cat squirrels on a cold frosty morning.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
The smell of a dead bull elk or deer in thick cover...You know you’re close to finding him.

👍🏻😎

I always liked finding them before they really got to smelling. wink

I never noticed deer smell much before opening one up, but heck yeah on a bull elk.
Posted By: fester Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Deer skinned and hanging in the basement of my house in Montana
IMR powders. They have a singular distinct smell when fired. I recognize it instantly when I smell it. It smells like hunting to me, from my younger years.

The smell of the ocean after a rainstorm. I've been to the Pacific from San Diego up to Oregon, and the Atlantic from the Gulf all the way around Florida up through Maine. It smells like peace, to me.

When I was in my early 20's, I had a 19-year-old girlfriend who smelled and tasted like strawberries. She was kinky as hell. She HATED wearing panties, and loved wearing skirts. I will never forget her smell.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The smell of a cheerleader in the morning.

Angel Juice in the morning

The smell of cucumbers while picking blackberries

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Horses, Brahma cattle, burnt gunpowder, puppy dogs, mud on a hot muffler, salt air on the gulf, a fishing camp, and even though I despise being cooped up with a smoker I always liked the faint smell of a cigarette from 20 feet away across the deck of a trawler out on the Gulf. I'll think of more.
Originally Posted by slumlord

F’ that nonsense...... yikes
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
A genuine ol' time terbacky shoppe.

Do they even have such a thing anymore?
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Running through the impact site of an Arclight mission on a few companies of NVA. The smell of victory is not always sweet. Bomb damage assessment missions were the worst.

mike r
smell of the ocean and the sound of sea gulls when you wake up early in the morning on the sand.
Testor’s modeling glue

And acetone finger nail polish remover.

good stuff

Okay........so I'm not fahqin' crazy. I tell people they smell like cucumbers or broken watermelon rind, especially when you run over them on the road on a warm rainy night.

They look at me like I have a big cyclops eye in my forehead.

Okay........so I'm not fahqin' crazy. I tell people they smell like cucumbers or broken watermelon rind, especially when you run over them on the road on a warm rainy night.

They look at me like I have a big cyclops eye in my forehead.
Thanks all, I need to get my workin' duds on and get in a combine..
Has Paddler come along yet to say his favorite smell is that of boy's bicycle seats at the junior high school?
The sulfur smell of black powder.

The sooty smell of coal smoke, takes me back to when I was a kid in England and we all heated our water and our houses with coal.

Some years back I was atop Mount Washington NH when the coal-fired cog railway stem locomotive arrived, the smell of soot, coal smoke and grease took me back to when I was a kid and we used to live next to the railyard, the last steam locomotives were still in operation, us kids used to climb on them when they were parked. I got lucky, Mt Washington switched to diesel in 2008, a pity.

The smell of leaf litter in the rain.

The juniper/pine smell of the Sacramento Mts of New Mexico in the morning.

Anytime mesquite is burning.

Sweetgrass/sage.

The whiff of dogbreath when your dog is checking if you're awake while you're pretending not to be so it will go away.

Brewing coffee.

A woman's hair.

A woman's sweat on your sheets.

The cider smell of rotten apples in an old orchard in the fall.

Hoppe's No 9.

Skunk.
Wabigoon: Indeed the old "paper" shotshells had a sublime odor for me.
Of course I also like Hoppe's #9 and G96.
I do hope you all will not mistake me for a flaming homosexual but my all time favorite "smell" is that of the evening aroma of the orchids and flowers on the beach at Waikiki wafting on the warm trade winds.
Got to get back to the islands - one more time!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
The old family canvas tent
The smell of a big old nasty buck in rut is the smell of victory.

P.S. - I hate the smell of a big old nasty buck in rut though. The bastards stink. You can smell it 25 yards away if the wind is right.
Testor’s modeling glue

good stuff

And Testor's Aero Gloss! When I was a kid, I spent many a night barricaded in my room working on my model planes. Silkspan and Aero Gloss. Getting high later on in college felt like normal to me!
Dumping gas in my dirt bike.

Smelling the rich running engine burning the gas.

The smell of gravel rash.......

Burnt rubber, rear tire.

Dirt. You taste it you smell it.

The river........

Nuoc Mam fish sauce. I smell that and lots of strange feelings from long ago come over me.
Does this fit here?

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Hearing a girlfriend exclaiming, "Oh, God."
Posted By: Dess Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Opening the tackle box that has Pautzke's Balls O' Fire jar from last season.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Originally Posted by smokepole
Does this fit here?

Hearing a girlfriend exclaiming, "Oh, God."

Only if a person smells through his ears and hears through his nose.
Coastal air...
First light on opening day of any hunting season...
Fresh baked bread...
Fried chicken...
Bacon and coffee...
Sex...

Awful smell is liquid manure at any time in cow land USA.

😎
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Vanilla. Coffee. Bacon. Chainsaw chips .. preferably douglas fir. Fresh mowed grass. Warm day in the high mountains when the last huckleberries give off the smell of ... huckleberry pie. Black powder smoke .. maybe not pleasant, but evokes strong memories of past hunts and great hopes for future ones. Smokeless powder ain't far behind.

Tom
Remember & like

Hoppes
Burnt powder
BBQ smoke
Happy women
Bread baking in the oven

Won’t ever forget - don’t like

Burnt hair
Death
$45,000 dollars in new $100 dollar bills from the bank smells pretty damn good.

💴😎
My wife's perfume.

My second wife too.

💴😎

Cocaine, hash and whore purse perfume, huh? wink
Burning coal, Autumn woods, a wood fire, smoked meat, quality leather, fresh cut oak, and bourbon.
Testor’s modeling glue

good stuff

forgot about that, built many a model.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
Lots of familiar good ones so far. A few more:

The faint oily smell of a passing school of swimming bluefish wafting up to the surface. The kind where you can stop the boat, cast even though nothing is breaking and no birds, and it be a wide open bite.

The smell of the Saudi Arabian desert the morning after a rain, when the desert has turned from brown to a light green.

The sharp, almost crystalline, smell from a mountain brook in late fall

The clean fresh smell of a saltwater beach, tinged with eau de seaweed.

Venison chile in the crock pot.

Trout cooked over a riverside fire in an iron skillet.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Testor’s modeling glue

good stuff

LePage's worked too.

Testors was better.

Until they put the garlic smelling crap in it.
I can't even describe what this smelled like, but it was rank. Combination of burnt plastic, rubber, diesel fuel, antifreeze, and oil. It's a smell that I'd like to forget.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Testor’s modeling glue

good stuff

Me to

I have 2 that my son and I are painting and glueing together
Testors......

💴😎

Cocaine, hash and whore purse perfume, huh? wink

Laffin...That would be too easy...More like the stench of sweat from hard work.

😎
Testor’s modeling glue

good stuff

Slum ain’t building models, rather huffing them glues to determine their viscosity.

LOL
😎

forgot her name........she was in 10th grade.......

I was in 9th.......... cry
For my buddy slumlord..................................

the smell of juniper firewood.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Her name was Suzanne Wolfe.

You're welcome.
My grandma didn’t cook biscuits and sausage

She was too drunk
The smell of fuel for RC planes my dad built and flew when i was a kid.
Hookers and blow................................
I have a bunch sitting just remembering back
Fresh fired shotgun shell has to be right up there
The smell of lumber when you walk into a house under construction
The smell of gasoline from 45 years ago when it still was real gas
Thanksgiving day food smells
and of course a fine sweet lady.
Posted By: AML Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20
I grew up on a dairy farm and loved the smell of fresh turned dirt when I plowed. Its all no-till around here now so plowing as I knew it is extinct. My grandmother's apple pie fresh out of the oven. Hoppes number 9 and fresh shot paper hulls were great smells. And Avon sweet honesty perfume on a special girl who is long gone.

I'll bet Wabi didn't think about some of the responses
Well, maybe not in the way some of us think about them

You're welcome.

is this her ?

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]
Haha!
Smell of freshly fired Federal paper hulls in the duck marsh...don't think dad was amused as I would scramble to pick them up. And the smell of the garage when dad would get home late and have a limit of ducks laid out on newspaper.
Haha!

I'm bettin she has an aroma you'll never forgot

[Linked Image from pyxis.nymag.com]
i remember the smell of the chick i caught the clap from when i was 16, never made that mistake again.
i remember the smell of the chick i caught the clap from when i was 16, never made that mistake again.

Too funny.......

that's Wabi's next thread..........

Did you ever get the Clap ?

I waited till I was 41...........

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;)<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hey tikkanut I'll let you have that one, we already have shade here in Oregon! LOL
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/24/20

Cedar and Sage after a rain, Horse barn in the early morning, cows and milking in the early morning, putting up hay, 1st snow,

Hunting season I can smell when it's time to hunt, Bear, Elk, Mule Deer, Quail, bird dogs, warm fire, cold hands and feet, wet cloths, I could go on for ever and not name all the smells that I remember. Rio7
Hey tikkanut I'll let you have that one, we already have shade here in Oregon! LOL

OK...............

can you imagine mid July ?? In Alabama ?

OK...............

can you imagine mid July ?? In Alabama ?

No.

Thank you.
Mint hay after its been distilled in the field, family used to grow a lot of mint in the Willamette valley in OR, spent shotgun shell smell.
Decomposing human.....nothing stinks like that...nothing.
The high desert after a rain.

The incredible, olfactory overload of sage on a crisp, cold morning.....add in a cup of good hot coffee and a fresh dip before walking the sage for pheasant, quail, Huns and chukar is a perfect morning.

The smell of my children when they were infants. Fresh out of their daily bath and swaddled tight in blankets made with the love of family

The faint smell of mom’s perfume on my whiskers after kissing mom’s cheek .

Fresh cut cedar.

Home.
There are so many;
IMR powder smoke on the firing line early in the morning
Jet fuel exhaust
Bacon frying
Coffee brewing
Pipe smoke
Fresh tilled dirt
My Wifes hair after a shower
Rain on hot asphalt
Good beef cooking
hoppe #9
A Zippo lighter striking
Fresh cut wood

Probably some I'm forgetting.
The low desert during or after a rain.

Nothing like the smell of creosote bushes.

Brings back memories of running around there when younger and hunting when older.

High desert smells like home here, and there's nothing wrong with that either.
Beaver Castor, the smell of a big buck mink. Logwood dye boiling in the fall. skunk.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Mint hay after its been distilled in the field, family used to grow a lot of mint in the Willamette valley in OR, spent shotgun shell smell.

Id like to smell that mint hay.
The smell of the gun powder out of my AR the first stand of the morning just before sunrise after killing the first coyote of the day!
Filling the barn with alfalfa hay.
Fresh cut green oak.
Gross, but three of us in a 90's Toyota at the end of a hot summer
day logging. Chainsaws, diesel, sweat.....
G96.
Diesel exhaust, pre-LSD.
The smell of a small old wooden machinery workshop.
WD-40
My Grandfather’s pipe tobacco smoking.

The smell of yeast in a batch of pizza dough turning in the Hobart.

The scent of gelatin high explosives.

My favorite dogs ears.

My daughter’s pillow.

The indescribable smell of a Northern lake turning over in the spring, just after ice-out.

A whiff of doe in estrus piss on last years hunting garments before they go into this years laundry prep.

The aniseed smell of a FRESH living bait-slick. In either salt or fresh water. Or, licorice rubber worms. Hahaha
Movie popcorn (though I don't really enjoy eating it)
Fresh coffee (though I don't drink it and never really have)
The smell of fresh earth after a field has been plowed under in the fall
The smell of the first somewhat warm spring morning, usually about 2 days after the last snow has melted
The smell of burning propane from a sunflower heater in an icehouse
We used to have a sugar beat processing plant across the river from us. The thing created some God awful odors, but there was one from a certain stage that I actually enjoyed, it brings back some nostalgic memories.
The exhaust from an outdoor motor
The smell of the inside of a Plano tackle box that has been in the sun for a while
Wood smoke
Fresh cut pine
Some good ones already listed.
Fresh coffee, moms fried chicken, moms yeast rolls, fresh plowed dirt, barn full of fresh hay, popcorn, barn full of horses, honeysuckle and great barbecue.
And the smell of Africa!
Oh yes bread baking in the oven . "Nothing says loving like something in the oven".

You're welcome.

is this her ?

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]

Bahahaha

Izod and tinted foster grants
Posted By: BigPine Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/25/20
Good thread , lots I can relate to , lots of others come to mind .
Thank you Wabi
Pipe smoke, grandad's half smoked, have chewed cigars.
My grandfather’s pipe, the smell of a freshly fired 20 ga from when I was a kid, and the smell of rain. I also love the smell of a can of coffee when it is first opened.
grand central station bathroom in NYC
Smells you remember, like?

Biden respond to this thread yet?
Originally Posted by persiandog
grand central station bathroom in NYC

It’s likable? Potpourri ??
Rain in the Rockie Mountains. Bacon and fried eggs over a mesquite campfire. The perfurme my wife wore before we married (not made anymore). Puppy breath. Fresh cut grass.
Gusto. Gotta be a trapper to understand that one. Every time I popped the bottle open it smelled like $$ in the bank.
Posted By: RAS Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/25/20
Hunters Specialties Earth Cover Scent Wafers.

I used to wear these on my hunting clothes, and especially for bow hunting. Smelling them reminds me of my younger days in the woods.
Honey suckle , sasafras , cedar standing , fresh cut , or burning . Wood fire , coal , lived in a lot of chicken houses when I was a kid , coal was a welcome smell , soon followed by a good glowing heat .
Fresh cut hay fields . Shotgun smoke , good food , meatloaf , breakfast , coffee.
Creosote, used to love the smell of pumping a saw dust pump through a blackjack pole , nothing like looking out over a valley or hollow first thing in the morning with sun breaking across a frost , fresh cool air flowing through your nose after the climb .
The smell of pines and cedars when setting in those special places that had natural shooting lanes . You can find some dandy spots setting on the ground with pleasant evergreen smells ,
And rancid onion farts , he'll yeah !
Kenneth
Holy shiet ! Fried chicken and fresh cut cantaloupe
I remember wanting to go in the dry cleaners with mom when she went to pick up dad’s clothes and how I always got to go inside with her because I loved the smell. Back when dry cleaners could use the good chemicals, the nastiest ones always smelled best. 😁
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/25/20
I can’t believe no one has mentioned the school handouts fresh off the duplicating machine
Night Blooming Jasmine. There was a place in the middle of central Florida, off SR 532 on the Deseret Ranch we would hog hunt at night, it was loaded with it. I still remember where it is, and go back to this day to just smell it. And a kind of funny one, as a life long trapper, I still have flash backs to my child hood trapping in the 70's every time I open a bottle of Hawbakers Coon lure. It smells exactly the same as 40 + years ago.
Posted By: killerv Re: Smells you remember, like? - 09/25/20
I remember the apple shampoo the hair lady washed my hair with as a kid.

And something about those triangle rubber things that you'd slide over your pencils so they wouldn't roll off your desk. That rubber had a distinct smell.
Tobacco barns.
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Gusto. Gotta be a trapper to understand that one. Every time I popped the bottle open it smelled like $$ in the bank.

10-4 on that
Those special Saturday mornings when mom would fry up some bologna.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Those special Saturday mornings when mom would fry up some bologna.
my mom's homemade tortillas, the neighbor kids would smell them cooking and come to the house for some.
Two come to mind. I really miss the smell of Mom's home made bread baking in the kitchen. We never ate a slice of store bought bread. Mom baked every bit of it for us. The other would be the decadent smell when Mom and Dad were canning dill pickles How can you not love the smell of dill and vinegar?
© 24hourcampfire