Home
Posted By: Pugs F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
The drive description

Good summary and the best case scenario of some bent (expensive) metal and some good stories - Heck of a job by the Marine C-130 crew putting it into a farm field with two engines out.

The ATC Audio download is worth listening to. (Link in story)
Posted By: Seafire Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
There goes one of those brand new expensive F 35s already....
Posted By: sgt217 Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Excellent work by the 130 crew
Posted By: slumlord Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Good report, glad to hear all are intact.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Geeze, all this talk about skill, night traps on a pitching deck when ya can't hit a tanker... without physical hitting the tanker. 😬😁

Gald to hear everyone made it down safely.
Posted By: Pugs Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Geeze, all this talk about skill, night traps on a pitching deck when ya can't hit a tanker... without physical hitting the tanker. 😬😁

Marines..... It's why the Department of the Navy can't have nice things. grin
Posted By: texasbatman Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by Pugs

smile
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20

They better take them gucci birds away from them before they scratch em all up... 🤣
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
So whose fault wa it. Who gets fired for destroying the $750,000 F35.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

I think you need to add a couple zeros... and then double it...
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Someone had a big set of stones and ice water in their veins all at the same time. Looking at the picture of the KC-130 just sitting in the field on its belly like it just taxied there. Impressive. Hats off. Glad all survived...
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
All kinds of interesting stuff happens around the tanker. I've been scared more around them than around the carrier.
Posted By: slumlord Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Cokes still a nickel in your world?
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
Oops. $750,000,000, not $750,000.

And good job landing the crippled C130.

But who gets fired?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
The problem is that you have a propjet refueling plane trying to go as fast as possible in order to "formate" with a jet going as slow as possible - and then tie the two together. It is not a good combination.

We will all learn what happened here - eventually. But in my mind, it's two very dissimilar aircraft trying to occupy the same piece of air at the same time.
Posted By: centershot Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 09/30/20
100 million dollar mistake. At least everyone survived.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by Seafire
There goes one of those brand new expensive F 35s already....

The J model Herk is pretty new too.
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20
My son flies the AF MC-130J and he is very impressed with its capabilities. He transitioned to it form the KC-135 tanker and he says the job is much more interesting in the 130J.
Posted By: jnyork Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20
Military aviation is inherently dangerous when everything is working right, and things can go south in the blink of an eye. Reminds me of the old adage "If you aren't terrified , you dont understand the situation". Glad everyone got out OK, some great flying by the C-130 crew.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20
I'll just leave this right here... 🙄 🤭

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Pugs Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The problem is that you have a propjet refueling plane trying to go as fast as possible in order to "formate" with a jet going as slow as possible - and then tie the two together. It is not a good combination.

We will all learn what happened here - eventually. But in my mind, it's two very dissimilar aircraft trying to occupy the same piece of air at the same time.

The Marines have done it for years and do it often so they're good at it but the couple times I tanked off a KC-130 it was sporty. We usually put the gear and flaps down at 200 knots. IIRC we tanked off the KC-130 at about 220 kts. As the jet gets heavier taking on usually about 15,000 lbs of fuel, and the angle of attack increased and you entered pre-stall buffet it got very sloppy on the controls. We'd then extend the flaps and slats and as soon as the flaps moved back pull the flaps/slats circuit breaker. That gave us a little more wing area and made the last couple 1000 lbs a lot more comfortable.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20

The Marines have done it for years and do it often so they're good at it but the couple times I tanked off a KC-130 it was sporty.

I was a jarhead. Good might be a bit of a exaggeration, I got to where I tolerated it but never did like tanking off them. They're going as fast as they can go while you're about to fall out of the sky and the controls are real mushy. The old KC-130's they had out of Cherry Point (can't remember what model) had crappy hose reel mechanisms and you'd often get a dead hose. It wasn't uncommon for you to plug and see the sine wave go up the hose, no way to get out in time before the sine wave came back and ripped off the probe. I plugged on the left hose one day and my wingman plugged on the right, I looked over at him just in time to see the wave in his hose and about two seconds later it snapped back taking his probe off and flinging it between his vertical stabs. We were done for the day!

The Brits had an L-1011 they'd converted to a tanker. I used to call it the Battlestar Galactica. It was lit up like a Christmas tree and at night you could see it before you could find it on radar. That thing was a dream to tank from.
Posted By: Pugs Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The Brits had an L-1011 they'd converted to a tanker. I used to call it the Battlestar Galactica. It was lit up like a Christmas tree and at night you could see it before you could find it on radar. That thing was a dream to tank from.

The Brits also had the VC-10 - Another easy platform to tank off of. This pic is my wingman over eastern Turkey on our way into Iraq. I did tank off an RAF Victor a couple times too during Desert Storm. I wish I had a picture of it. Looks like it was designed by Jules Verne.

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20
I had pretty good "hands" in general and loved close formation flying, but I'm darn glad I never had to learn refueling.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: F-35 and KC-130 midair - 10/01/20
I'll just leave this right here... 🙄 🤭

Good one-----I know from experience laugh
© 24hourcampfire