Home
Posted By: Bristoe What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
,..do you usually keep close by around the house?

I've got a variety of handguns that I've accumulated over the years. Actually, I don't feel very threatened out here in the sticks. But old habits die hard and I've long kept a handgun close by when I'm kicking around the house.

Recently I purchased yet another S&W model 10,..4" standard barrel square butt. I've got a few Model 10s that are in very nice condition that I'm loathe to put wear on. The one that I just bought is very tight but the finish is worn just enough that I don't feel the need to be overly protective of it. It came with a pair of garden variety Pachmayr grips that look ugly but fit my hand well enough. Its action is very slick and it has a .005" cylinder gap.

I bought a box of swaged 158 grain semi wadcutter hollow points and loaded them up to about 950 fps to put in it. They're basically a home brewed version of the old .38 spl. FBI load. I think the old FBI load went about 100 fps faster but these are close enough. I'd twist them up another 100 fps but these leave a slight bit of lead in the barrel at 950 so I'll leave them there.

It's not an exotic set-up,... very old school,.. but I've put thousands of rounds through Model 10s over the years and they just feel right to me. So that's what it is for me.

What do you guys like?
Posted By: antlers Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
I keep a Ruger P97 .45 acp handy, as well as a Springfield Range Officer also in .45 acp.
Posted By: skeen Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Which do I keep close by? Depends, I suppose, depending on which drawer or closet I'm closest to. smile
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Got various handguns scattered about.

But in the places I spend the most time, I keep a locked and loaded 1911, as I am more familiar with them, and more effective with them.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
I keep a little stainless Bersa .380 double action auto around pretty close. It fits nicely into my back pocket
Posted By: High_Noon Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Posted By: Benbo Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
I wear a sig p365 everywhere and it sleeps next to me every night. 13rounds of 124HST+p keeps me feeling safe.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
A S&W .357 J-Frame in the pocket if I am awake.

A Colt 1991a1 Officers .45 ACP in the nightstand.

A Rem. 870 in the corner near the nightstand, for the Mrs.

AR-15 next to the 870.

I also live out of town.

Took the fire dept. 25 min. to get here when a field fire got away from me. ( No damage, but it was concerning )

I don't imagine the po-po would get here any faster.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
All my handguns sank to the bottom of Smith Mtn Lake after a boating accident.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
1911. There might even be 2 or 3 1911's lying about.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Lightweight.
Posted By: EdM Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
A 3" SP-101 sits next to me from my chair that I watch TV from and typing from. A Canadian Para 16-40 sits on the nightstand.
Posted By: efw Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Glock 26 IWB 4-o’clock while awake, switch out the 10 round Mag for a 15 when I hit the sack dropping it into my nightstand.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
G29

In the house...........outta the house...........wherever I am...........it is.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
.38 Super in my nightstand (next to model 12 riot gun). Out in shop above reloading bench is a Mk II Webley loaded with dum dums.
Posted By: RGK Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
House gun. Used to be my off-duty revolver back in the day.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Oh! I forgot! There’s a m1914 Mauser pocket model .32 ACP in my Secretary desk. Below the pigeon holes.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Got a few scattered around the house...

[Linked Image from mohawk-usa.com]
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
There's not a single unloaded handgun in this house. There whereabouts vary.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
I've got a Springfield Armory 1911 that I used to keep handy and a Kahr 9mm that is a good CCW. I'm also very fond of a nice old Ruger Police Service Six .357 that I bought for a song a few years ago.

But none of them snug into my hand like a plain old 4" Model 10,...and they hit where it seems like they ought to for me.

It's all what you're used to, I guess,...and I've been shooting K-frames on a regular basis for 40 years.
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

I like that. They're hard to find.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
We sleep with this one between our pillows. Refinished with Blue Wonder ten or twelve years ago. Finish is holding up, but I want to redo it with Moly Resin sometime soon.

Posted By: hookeye Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
HK P30L 9mm or my old Colt Commander .45
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
When a wife and son were in the house is was a 3" .357 Mod 60, loaded with that .38 PlusP FBI load you mentioned. Both of them had learned to shoot handguns with that gun and were familiar with it.

Now its just me its easier just to use a .38 concealed hammer j-frame Airweight 642 for carry and home defense.

I have a confession to make, it has the infamous S&W revolver trigger lock. Never had a revolver with it before, I've started locking it when I leave it at home....

...oh God I'm so ashamed.... blush
Posted By: Bighorn Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
In my home office, an M4 .223 is within handy reach. Master bedroom, a 1911 .45 and a 9mm. Living room, a .45. Walking with the dog, it's a .22mag revolver and a couple rounds of snake shot in summer, .45 acp in winter. Truck gun is usually one of my 9mms. Clothes closet off the master bedroom, 9mm with hi-cap mags.

Come to think of it, I have too many freakin' guns...........
Originally Posted by RiverRider
We sleep with this one between our pillows. Refinished with Blue Wonder ten or twelve years ago. Finish is holding up, but I want to redo it with Moly Resin sometime soon.

I've got a round butt version of that one wearing Ahrends grips.
Posted By: Slavek Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by efw
Glock 26 IWB 4-o’clock while awake, switch out the 10 round Mag for a 15 when I hit the sack dropping it into my nightstand.

+1 except I use 12 round magazines.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20

no kids in the house.....

FN-C 40....

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Don’t have much use for pistols.
Posted By: antlers Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I keep a 12 gauge pump gun just as handy.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20

Please tell me you're joking.
Posted By: szihn Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
As per the original question, my "close guns in my home" is a 9 shot 12 gauge shotgun and an AK47 or AR10. I'd NEVER grab a handgun if I could grab a long arm in the same amount of time. During hunting season I would probably grab the rifle that I have out for the next hunt. (right now, that's a 9.3X62)

But my "real close gun" is on my hip at all times. Like right now! It varies, but most times it's a 44, 45 or 357 revolver, but sometimes it's a 45 auto or even one of my 9mms.. As I write this it's a S&W 45 N-Fame revolver. I carry at all times when I am dressed. If in bed I am within arms length of a shotgun and rifle.

My nearest neighbor is about 650 yards away and my next nearest neighbors are way more than 1 mile away. So too much power is not an issue.

Handguns are for dangerous surprises. If you have even 3 seconds of time to prepare, ALWAYS pick up a rifle or shotgun.

Here lately, this stays propped up in a corner full of 00. But it's a bit cumbersome to wag from room to room.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]laptop ka keyboard
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Probably in a holster. It's safe.

But I do keep my 1911 on the dresser, rather than the nightstand.

I figure by the time I wake up, get to the dresser and grab the 1911, I'm probably awake enough to use it responsibly.

Just a personal safety measure I incorporate.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Bristoe: Keep 2 (two) handguns at the ready around my large place.
One is a Glock Model 22 in 40 S&W caliber with high capacity magazines and night sights chock full of EXCELLENT hollow-point ammunition.
The other, at the other end of the house, is a Smith & Wesson Model 60 in 38 Special with again, top quality hollow-point ammunition.
If those aren't enough I have a shotgun that WILL put an end to any household threat!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: blindshooter Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
1911's here and there. 12ga 1100 (tuned and tested with the load my wife can handle) in the bedroom closet. She also has a tupperware 9mm or two or even three.
When the grand kids come over I have to lock them up then undo all that when they leave.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
One end is my S&W 686, the other end is my EDC HK UPSc, in the middle is my Winchester 1300 12-ga with #5 turkey shells.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
357 revolver in nightstand
9mm pistol in the top draw of dresser in walk-in master closet.
20 gauge 870 with Turkey shot in my office.
Posted By: Remsen Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Short barrel 12 gauge and a g27 at the house, a gp100 .357 with hardcasts and an m1a at the cabin, unless it's hunting season (when there are a variety of 7mm bolt rifles around)
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Every time I put on pants or shorts I have a Khar P9 in an IWB holster on my right hip.

Before I went to work in a corporate America type job it was a 5 inch 1911.

The night stand gun is a Glock upper on a P80 frame with a 357 Sig barrel in it and a Streamlight light laser combo hung off it.

Wife is a Glock 22 gal. One in her nightstand and another in her purse.

There may or may not be 5 ARs stashed in various places and rumor has it there is an M1 carbine within arms reach of me right now that’s stoked w Hornady Critical Defense

Who was it that said “ The only reason to carry a pistol is to be able to fight your way to a long gun “ ?

I’m thinking Col Jeff Cooper ?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Lightweight.

Only one, the other two are standard stainless frames.......... wink
LOL...
Posted By: mathman Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
When I'm in bed I can put my hand on a S&W 457 full of 230 grain Hydrashocks.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
My choice for concealed travel is a walther pps 40 s&w.
Bedside bed, house gun would be sig 2022 40 s&w.

Conceal , house gun 1st runner up....ruger sr9c. 9mm
Conceal 2nd runner up...ruger Lc9
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Anything that starts with a .4 followed by another 4 or 5. I like 1911s myself.
Posted By: deflave Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

There's a surprise.

LOL
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: What handgun,.. - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by deflave

There's a surprise.

LOL

How's that?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

There's a surprise.

LOL

How's that?

Oh come on now, we all know your afraid of guns, there's no shame in that.......Here let me write you a prescription for two testicles.
Posted By: deflave Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

There's a surprise.

LOL

How's that?

You're a dumb fugk.
Posted By: DaveR Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Sig P229 gets the bedroom nightstand duties, and the glock 23 on the top shelf in kitchen cabinet. Always loaded up with Federal 180 JHP's.

Out hunting and at camp.... while out and about in the sticks, it's the Taurus tracker .44 on the side loaded up with Speer 270gr. Deepcurl SP's. Once back at camp the gun belt with the .44 gets hung over the back of the chair, and the glock goes into a paddle holster under the coat, and a spare mag in the pocket. The mini-14 or AR is either in the truck, or leaning against the cot in the tent, typically not too far away. Getting rattled by someone not knowing better, lost, and walking into camp unannounced when you think there's nobody else within 20 miles, and the sidearm in a gunbelt over the back of the camp chair, well, it learned me to not do that again many years ago.
High capacity for me but I don't get too dogmatic about brand or model.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

There's a surprise.

LOL

How's that?

You're a dumb fugk.

I imagine .25 acp is more your style. Whatever.

Nice how you follow me around like a puppy dog though.

I love the smell of kghunt.

LOL
Posted By: lvmiker Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

There's a surprise.

LOL

How's that?

You're a dumb fugk.

Wow! criscoe has that problem too. You are both very attractive.

mike r
Posted By: Bristoe Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Well,...this thread is about over. All that's left is for MtnBoomer to step in hollerin', "NAZI!!,....NAZI!!"
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Mostly, I am scared of guns, but I tolerate them, due to old age and inability to fist fight any longer. The nightstand gun is a Glock 31, with a streamlight illumination device and 16 rounds of 115 grain Underwood JHPs. The gun closest to me in the couch cushions is a Glock 45, with 18 rounds of Underwood 147 grain Speer Gold dots, loaded to +P+. Mrs. Tide dotes on the Mossberg Shockwave 410 she has stuffed full of buck shot. She's incorrigible, but I kinda like her.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Glock 17 never leaves arm’s length, usually closer. If I see you coming, it wont be a handgun you are facing.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

I've got a variety of handguns that I've accumulated over the years. Actually, I don't feel very threatened out here in the sticks. But old habits die hard and I've long kept a handgun close by when I'm kicking around the house.

Recently I purchased yet another S&W model 10,..4" standard barrel square butt. I've got a few Model 10s that are in very nice condition that I'm loathe to put wear on. The one that I just bought is very tight but the finish is worn just enough that I don't feel the need to be overly protective of it. It came with a pair of garden variety Pachmayr grips that look ugly but fit my hand well enough. Its action is very slick and it has a .005" cylinder gap.

I bought a box of swaged 158 grain semi wadcutter hollow points and loaded them up to about 950 fps to put in it. They're basically a home brewed version of the old .38 spl. FBI load. I think the old FBI load went about 100 fps faster but these are close enough. I'd twist them up another 100 fps but these leave a slight bit of lead in the barrel at 950 so I'll leave them there.

It's not an exotic set-up,... very old school,.. but I've put thousands of rounds through Model 10s over the years and they just feel right to me. So that's what it is for me.

What do you guys like?

I habitually carry, whether home or away. When I'm dressed, it's a Glock 9mm IWB. If I'm in a robe, an S&W Airweight J-Frame .38 is in the pocket. And a loaded 12 gauge pump gun is never far away when I'm home.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Guns scare me. I sold them all.
Posted By: Stophel Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
"NAZI!!,....NAZI!!"

Somebody call for me? :P

As much as I like my 1911's, I'm still a dyed in the wool revolver man. wink
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

I like that. They're hard to find.

Yep, the Model 10 in that configuration makes a great carry gun. I've got the same one, but in stainless (i.e., the Model 64).
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by Stophel
"NAZI!!,....NAZI!!"

Somebody call for me? :P

As much as I like my 1911's, I'm still a dyed in the wool revolver man. wink

Revolvers are nice out-on-the-town guns.

Let me guess.

[Linked Image from pics.knifecenter.com]
Posted By: EdM Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Mostly, I am scared of guns, but I tolerate them, due to old age and inability to fist fight any longer. The nightstand gun is a Glock 31, with a streamlight illumination device and 16 rounds of 115 grain Underwood JHPs. The gun closest to me in the couch cushions is a Glock 45, with 18 rounds of Underwood 147 grain Speer Gold dots, loaded to +P+. Mrs. Tide dotes on the Mossberg Shockwave 410 she has stuffed full of buck shot. She's incorrigible, but I kinda like her.

Knowing you the inability to fist fight is more than doubtful. Come on Junebug....
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
S&W 38 spl.

Loaded with some nasty bullets but the shotgun is not far away.
Posted By: BigPine Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Colt Mustang 380 , S&W 357 , Ar , and Rem1100 are never far. Nothing fancy , 22-250 is always ready too for coyotes and any escaping taillights down our quiet long road . One or 6 more around too......
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

What do you guys like?
Wife's Colt Magnum Carry .357 in the bedroom. Kid has a Colt AR and 10-22 hi-cap in his bedroom. Ruger Mk.III full-bull .22 right in back of me and a S&W MP15 in the corner. Winchester 73 replica in 38-40 standing beside me right now. Swede Mauser .308 in the garage. Marlin 795 .22 out in the implement shed. Other house has a S&W M&P 9c by the bed and my Springfield Armory Loaded 45 auto laying around. S&W Governor in my truck. S&W M&P .40 in the SUV. Sig P938 for concealed carry.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Our Sheltie dog.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

I figure by the time I wake up, get to the dresser and grab the 1911, I'm probably awake enough to use it responsibly.

Yes indeed, in a holster. And yes indeed, perfectly safe.

The only occupants in our house are my wife and myself. To verify that the bump in the night is not one of us, the other has only to check and see who's in bed and who's not. And anybody who knows us knows that barging into the house unannounced at 3 AM would be a death wish, so I think we're pretty safe in assuming that such a visitor is not a welcome guest. In addition to the 10HB, there is an AR15 on either side of the bed. My EDC resides on the nightstand beside my each night also. All that is presumably made just about 100% effective by the presence of our dog, who will raise hell if an acorn so much as hits the roof in the middle of the night. I hadn't really thought about it too much, but I guess we're pretty damned safe and secure as we slumber.
Posted By: copperking81 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Glock 19X, 19 or a 17 are usually nearby. Given the option, the G19X would be the one I'd grab.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
I put my S&W EZ9 next to me at night. It's loaded with 115gr Win Silvertips I loaded with a max load of Longshot. It's my carry gun. I have a stainless 4" 357 with Federal Nyclad 158gr SWCHPs in the living room, and a Maverick 88 8 shot 12ga with a rail mount Crimson Trace laser loaded with 00 low recoil shells in it. I keep it in our walk in closet in a handy place. It has a Crimson We have a monitored alarm system and we use it.
Posted By: Stophel Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
I have taken to packing this thing. Fast, accurate, points well, and FITS my hand naturally. I'm not concerned with total concealment, so this setup works.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture M&P_500x375.JPG
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
I like the Ruger Six series and have a couple laying around and available to the wife in a surprise. Invariably I have one on my belt if I have my pants on. Whether it's a Detective Special, or a C/A bulldog 44 special, or various other pieces. Plenty of choices and availability. We have no young people in the house.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by Stophel
I have taken to packing this thing. Fast, accurate, points well, and FITS my hand naturally. I'm not concerned with total concealment, so this setup works.

[Linked Image]

It's familiar.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
DigitalDan,
Isn’t that what Quigley said? “I said I didn’t have much use for them. Never said I didn’t know How to use one!”
Posted By: memtb Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

Pretty much everything from Ruger Mark Ii, to a S&W 460 and several in between. Most are ready for service at a moments notice! As we speak, there’s Springfield XDS 45 ACP less than 3 feet from me.....I may have to lean forward to comfortably access it! memtb
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Very fond of this 1911 38 Super

Posted By: 5thShock Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Airweight 38...

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 442small.jpg
Posted By: pal Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Pretty piece.
Posted By: k20350 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by 358WCF
All my handguns sank to the bottom of Smith Mtn Lake after a boating accident.

I forgot which lake I was on when the boat tipped over on account of being too drunk.
Posted By: benchman Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
S&W 3913. Go to gun. Generally have 3 handguns within reach, at home. 2 9mm, one 45. Kimber Micro 9 Nightfall and a Springfield Armory XDM.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
sps 101
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
When company comes to visit....no matter which sofa or chair they sit on....they're also atop a M1911 .45 of which there are six nearby!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20

But you didn't say you didn't know how to use them smile

Every day carry a Colt Officer's Model 45. Around the house, Two Glocks 31/21 since 1911a are too expensive to risk having them stolen when the house is empty.. My wife keeps an S&W 36 on her nightstand and my youngest daughter who STILL lives with us, a G17.
Posted By: Hookset Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Evidently I'm either too complacent or not paranoid enough. I would have some short and long guns in a few places around the house if I hadn't lost them all, but I've never felt like I needed to have one with me 24/7. But who knows? Maybe a booger will catch me with my pants down one day and I'll be proven wrong.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Rely totally on the kindness of strangers and trusts in my fellow man.

So far, so good.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Our Sheltie dog.

Any home security system is incomplete without an alert dog.

Mine might well have saved my a$$ a few weeks back at 4am one morning.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
A ray gun
Posted By: KFWA Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
I've got the LCP on the bookshelf to easilyy throw in my pocket when going out, a Taurus .357 hidden in the closet next to the front door and a S&W .38 in the nightstand. I want grab and shoot for me or my wife which is why I have revolvers

Its easier to leave guns laying about with adult children and them not bringing stray friends around night and day.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
1st line of defense is my dog nothing moves or goes bump in the night without her reporting it. EC9 carry gun is allways at hand various others stashed where needed. Best house gun for repelling boarders is my 870 express 20 ga 5 rds of dbl ball loads, makes lot bigger holes than buck and penetrates deeper. Do like 38's also 168 gr Keith swc 5.0 unique no they don t burn dirty. Heavy barrel k's point better than any other defense revolver. MB
Posted By: lockanddam Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
I usually keep my Beretta 84 within easy reach. One round chambered and thirteen in the mag.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
I like to keep it simple, Glock 17. Glock 43 when I CC.
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
EDC is a Glock 19
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: What handgun,.. - 10/16/20
Some sort of Glock. Most often a G26/7 with a 12 rd mag or a G43 with an 8 rd mag. Have an AR pistol and pump 12 gauge near by.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by EdM

Knowing you the inability to fist fight is more than doubtful. Come on Junebug....

Well, I prefer to err on the side of caution these days. When I was younger, I did a bit of it. Frankly, I am now unwilling.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20

Originally Posted by 257Bob
I like to keep it simple, Glock 17. Glock 43 when I CC.

I have a similar set up with a Beretta APX and a Beretta Nano.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by EdM

Well, I prefer to err on the side of caution these days. When I was younger, I did a bit of it. Frankly, I am now unwilling.

I'd guess that somebody who played college football for Roy Kidd would maintain the ability to put a knot on somebody's head well on into their life.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
I have grandkids and don't keep loaded guns in the house.

For awhile we kept a loaded .32 revolver my wife inherited from her grandfather on the top shelf of a closet, but after a few years my wife forgot we had it there. Good reason we don't keep it there or loaded any more.
Posted By: deflave Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I have grandkids and don't keep loaded guns in the house.

For awhile we kept a loaded .32 revolver my wife inherited from her grandfather on the top shelf of a closet, but after a few years my wife forgot we had it there. Good reason we don't keep it there or loaded any more.

Aren't you a doll...

LOL
Posted By: navlav8r Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Let’s see..
As I sit on the couch i have a Colt Officer’s model under a magazine next to me and an M-1 carbine under the coffee table at my feet.
There’s a 3” Smith model 60 and a Sig 938 within one step of the bed a Ruger PC-9 just inside the bedroom closet
When I leave the house I carry a Smith Airweight 637 with lazer grips or the Sig 938.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20

Please tell me YOU are joking.
Posted By: EdM Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by EdM

I'd guess that somebody who played college football for Roy Kidd would maintain the ability to put a knot on somebody's head well on into their life.

You need to hear the June Bug story B. And Joel is a storyteller like no other...
Posted By: mlschnei Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20

Said Quigley.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

You need to hear the June Bug story B. And Joel is a storyteller like no other...

lol,..I can imagine.
Posted By: johnw Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Was enamored enough with the P320 9mm that I ordered a departmental trade-in .45. I love it and keep it close.

Honestly the handgun I shoot the most lately though is the Ruger LCR .22. I about used up the substantial collection of partial boxes of various .22 ammo, and it has been on a steady diet of mini mags for a couple of weeks. I've only had it a couple of months and I'll bet I've put close to 1000 rounds through it
Posted By: carbon12 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Do you guys do practice drills with your house guns? If so, how realistic do you try to make it? I try to do drills every so often to offset my normal clumsiness but only when the house is empty. It freaks the family out when I roll around the house practicing with guns.

Yeah, I know. Not very realistic since it would be likely there would be family in the house when guns are employed for real.
Posted By: deflave Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20
Originally Posted by carbon12
Do you guys do practice drills with your house guns? If so, how realistic do you try to make it? I try to do drills every so often to offset my normal clumsiness but only when the house is empty. It freaks the family out when I roll around the house practicing with guns.

Yeah, I know. Not very realistic since it would be likely there would be family in the house when guns are employed for real.

No.
Posted By: memtb Re: What handgun,.. - 10/17/20

Yes indeed, in a holster. And yes indeed, perfectly safe.

The only occupants in our house are my wife and myself. To verify that the bump in the night is not one of us, the other has only to check and see who's in bed and who's not. And anybody who knows us knows that barging into the house unannounced at 3 AM would be a death wish, so I think we're pretty safe in assuming that such a visitor is not a welcome guest. In addition to the 10HB, there is an AR15 on either side of the bed. My EDC resides on the nightstand beside my each night also. All that is presumably made just about 100% effective by the presence of our dog, who will raise hell if an acorn so much as hits the roof in the middle of the night. I hadn't really thought about it too much, but I guess we're pretty damned safe and secure as we slumber.

Similar here. I’ve slept with a handgun beneath my pillow since I was 16 years old. 52 years later, the only difference the handgun is a semi-auto......a holster has “never” been used! Wife has her Sig 938 on her nightstand. Once we’re up and about, she brings her Sig downstairs to the living room.....I leave my “pillow pistol” in place, grab my XDS 45ACP and head downstairs! If the grandkids come over, we collect and store the equipment! memtb
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/18/20
Originally Posted by EdM

Lol! You caught that too, eh?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/18/20
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Looks much like my .45 acp.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/18/20
Nothing but the best.

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/18/20
If pants are on a G21 45 ACP or Sig tacops 357 Sig is Blackhawk Serpa holstered on, with 200gr Lehigh penetrators at 1050 fps or 90gr Lehigh defenders at 1660 in the 357, both or one of the above are within arms reach wherever I sleep at night, bed, recliner, spare room, den, living room etc, etc.

11 rounds of 12 pellets each 000 buck cast with 22BHN alloy in an 870 twelve, or 55/62gr TSX/Lehighs and 150gr E-Tip/176gr Lehighs in 7.62 REPR are also an arms reach away at all times, sticks living here too.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: What handgun,.. - 10/18/20
A Colt Diamond back and a Glock 23. Shotguns and AR's downstairs.

kwg
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: What handgun,.. - 10/18/20
Have a Sig 365 in my sweatpants pocket as I type.

Glock 19 goes IWB when my pants go on.

AR 15 W/30 rounds of Vmax beside the bed.

Spare loaded mags for all, in the nightstand.

Virgil B.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: What handgun,.. - 10/18/20
I shy away from guns - I'm a peaceful little guy !
Posted By: rockchucker Re: What handgun,.. - 10/19/20
beretta 81 32 auto
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: What handgun,.. - 10/19/20
Got various handguns scattered about.

But in the places I spend the most time, I keep a locked and loaded 1911, as I am more familiar with them, and more effective with them.

^^^This^^^

Plus I’ve always got a Ruger LCP 380 in my pocket.
And a 870 12 ga riot gun setting by both the front and back door.
© 24hourcampfire