Home
Cleaning my old TC Hawken, the fourth patch the jag and patch stuck, hard, at the bottom. Was giving the ramrod hell pulling trying to get it out and “WHACK” it breaks off a couple inches down from the muzzle. Can get ahold of it and even if I could it’s stuck like a bitch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Drill baby drill. Either that or take it to the 'smith.

Did you try a long brass rod - pound it out from whence it came?

I'm willing to bet that the jag you used was manufactured in chiner.
A little bit of priming powder.
Bloooop. Finding it might suck.

Compressed air, or one of those cleaning things th at y re CO2.
Screw a grease zerk in place of the nipple, push it out with a grease gun
Originally Posted by tater74

^^^THIS^^^
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I was debating this but was wondering if it was the alcohol making it seem like a reasonable idea....

That’s actually genius.
Dillenbuck is the right way to get it out... I have done 5 or 6 with no problem...except finding the piece in the grass..the grease will work but you will have a barrel full of grease to mess with..

I just learned about this the other day. Neat trick,
Originally Posted by jackmountain

That’s actually genius.

Stole it from my son. He had just the brass end come off.
Cleaning my old TC Hawken, the fourth patch the jag and patch stuck, hard, at the bottom. Was giving the ramrod hell pulling trying to get it out and “WHACK” it breaks off a couple inches down from the muzzle. Can get ahold of it and even if I could it’s stuck like a bitch.

Ha ha! what a [bleep]' dumbass. God damn, you just can't make this [bleep] up.
Get a straw or pen or something to mark the depth
Pull the nipple and drop about 10grains down the fire channel slowly so it can get into the barrel from the 90 turn in the fire channel.
Have muzzle pointed down

Put nipple back on
Tilt muzzle up
Put some oil in it from the muzzle to give that patch some lube

Cap and fire it.
Check with the reference depth.
See if it moved.
Might even take a couple times doing this to move it.
Let the original lube from.1st time continue to soak

You might get lucky and the 1st time it goes out or gives you enough the grab onto with vice grips.

Dont ask me how I know this...
Just read the username........
Never had to do it myself, but I’d try sprinkling a few grains of powder through the nipple if I was in a hurry to get it out. Pretty sure Thompsons got a patent breech like most every percussion Hawken-type rifle.

This means the flash channel from the nipple makes a right angle turn to the center of the breech face so any powder you sprinkle down the nipple vent has to be below the stuck patch.

By way of comparison the vents on my flinters open through the side of the barrel at the breech.
Some good suggestions already. The grease zerk idea sounds effective, but messy. I'd try compressed air first. Maybe squirt some penetrating oil in beforehand.
If you use compressed air - make doubly sure it's pointed in a safe direction !

Pellet guns, and spear guns are NOT to be trifled with !!!!
All of this will work, I once shot a stuck single shot percussion pistol ramrod about 100 yards with just a few grains of black poured through the flash hole.

But IIRC from my old T/C Hawken, don't they have a removable breech plug? Seems like you could unscrew that and tap it out from the breech end.
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Prob’ly you ain’t fired muzzleloader much, stuff getting stuck is sorta common when you’re shoving stuff down a blind-ended tube.

I don’t clean with a wooden ramrod, they can break.

Shoving an insufficiently lubed or dry tight-fitting patch down the barrel will stick at the breech most every time, even in a clean barrel. I have found pouring a little water down the barrel unsticks a stuck patch most every time.

Sheroy that is a muzzle loader used in shooting and hunting. It is a precursor to the modern firearm,

It is not a strange man's penis sticking out in glory hole in a greyhound bus station . Why do anti hunting fairies populate this site?

That is a cool trick with the grease gun. I always used the CO 2 cartridge thing

Carry on
Had a CO2 unloader but no cartridge, I’m not mixing gun powder and alcohol, so I tried the grease gun and it worked like a charm.

Question 2:
What’s the best way to clean all that grease out of my barrel now?
Best replacement wood ramrod?
If you decide to use the powder method, assure it’s all down against the breech. Even with only five or ten grains you still have the chance of ringing the barrel if its only partially down. I have shot many a broken ramrod out of a barrel.
I have shot out a stuck rod with a few grains of powder. That sucker went 50 maybe even 75 yards into the air. I bought a fiberglass rod after that.

kwg
Compressed air first, then if that doesn't work do the powder through the nipple hole trick. Unless there's a tightly patched ball stuck in there, there won't be a tight enough seal to use the grease gun. The grease will just flow around the cleaning patch and make a big mess. 4-F flintlock priming powder would work best, but 3F can be worked into the nipple hole with a toothpick or an ice pick.

Obviously you have have years of experience having a ramrod stuck in your breech. Nov. 3rd you’re gonna have trumps ramrod stuck in your breech. Be sure to take a selfie and post it for me when they call the election for Trump (again) LOL!
The man that I worked for back in the 1970's, drilling house wells had a tool made to pull wooden sucker rods out of a well. Just a piece of pipe with V's sawn with the point of the V toward the pullling end. They were then bent a little into the pipe so that when it was driven over the sucker rod and then pulled back, the points dug in. He had a lot of home made tools that worked great. miles
Hey Miles. Where ya been? I haven't seen you around of late.

Chinese finger puller over the rod holder... you can get them at Home Depot in the elect section, they use them over cable to pull it through conduit.

The grease gun things should work too... BUT the flash hole is usually a bit off the bottom so depending how far down your jig is that may not work well.
I'm glad that you got it out easily. I hope you have some degreaser.

You could try a can of compressed air to clean out the grease. You may just need to run a carbon fiber rod down it without a jag on it a few times and then start running patches.
Couple more Bud lites and it all becomes clear.

Voice of Experience
Cut the barrel off below the jag.
Compressed air first if you have it or just a rod like tater said if you don't. Then maybe fill the barrel partially with some solvent like kerosene or diesel and shake it back and forth with the holes plugged and pour out. Then swab it out with patches. Maybe shoot the flash channel with carb or brake cleaner (protect your eyes).

Originally Posted by cra1948
Cut the barrel off below the jag.

I was about too til I checked eBay and saw used barrels were going for $300. I think I paid $80 cash for it at a gun show a couple years after they made it legal to hunt with inline’s and scopes here.
Bought the .50 hawken, a .50 renegade and a .50 treehawk for $350.00. Sold the renegade and treehawk Like an idiot....
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Done that years ago with my BIL’s smokepole. Used a sandbox to catch the jag.
No problem at all, just dug it right out.
Never heard of using a Zerk fitting to pump one out with grease, but I don’t doubt it works
I think 10 grains of priming powder would make an easier cleanup.
7mm

Yeah, almost as stupid as believing you could keep ur dr and save .......
Well, since the grease worked - I'd think that putting the barrel in the rays of a heat lamp - with the muzzle down in a pan - would melt the majority out of there.
I'm glad that you got it out easily. I hope you have some degreaser.

You could try a can of compressed air to clean out the grease. You may just need to run a carbon fiber rod down it without a jag on it a few times and then start running patches.

[quote=tater74]

I filled it full of gunk engine degreaser. Go at it in the morning.
Thanks for everyone’s input. Learned a lot.
Read the directions on the can of Gunk, and see what the maximum soak / exposure time is. You might not be able to leave it soaking overnight without destroying the barrel.
Plug the nipple hole and fill the barrel with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Boiling water in the morning.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Prob’ly you ain’t fired muzzleloader much, stuff getting stuck is sorta common when you’re shoving stuff down a blind-ended tube.

Shoving an insufficiently lubed or dry tight-fitting patch down the barrel will stick at the breech most every time, even in a clean barrel. I have found pouring a little water down the barrel unsticks a stuck patch most every time.

Pro 'ly you'd be wrong, and I've had things stick a little, but busting off ramrod takes talent in the stupids department.

Never stuck anything in a clean barrel. Doubt you have either, you just thought it was clean but it rusted because you were wrong.
I like the Grease gun thing
I had a wet patch role around the ball on my 10ga. Blunderbuss at a Mountain man camp years back
It covered the touch hole.
I did not know what to do about it at the camp and was going to take it home to fix the situation
One of the Camp members came to my rescue.
He packed some FFFFFFF ya that's right 7F powder in the touch hole lit it off with a match and SHSHHSHSHSHSHPOP
and it was cleared
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Pro 'ly you'd be wrong, and I've had things stick a little, but busting off ramrod takes talent in the stupids department.

Never stuck anything in a clean barrel. Doubt you have either, you just thought it was clean but it rusted because you were wrong.

Fuckwad supreme is what you are.
High Noon, I am on here daily. Don't always have anything to say, but I read a lot of posts. miles
Jack, you learned something all ways a good deal. One time I was checking out the bore of a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle with a brass bore lite. I turned it on and dropped it in, it stuck. Didn't know they had a tapered powder chamber. Unscrewed the nipple and put some 3fg in there reinstalled the nipple, capped it and shot it out. Now I use Thill bobber lights or the archery nock lights and no more problems. MB
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Jack, you learned something all ways a good deal. One time I was checking out the bore of a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle with a brass bore lite. I turned it on and dropped it in, it stuck. Didn't know they had a tapered powder chamber. Unscrewed the nipple and put some 3fg in there reinstalled the nipple, capped it and shot it out. Now I use Thill bobber lights or the archery nock lights and no more problems. MB

Lit nock is a good idea. Wish I’d have bought one of the Browning mountain rifles when they were reasonable. Nice guns.
Ramrods break all the time. Especially T/C wooden ramrods. Sometimes they just break as they are not made of the proper wood. They are full of crossgrain and such. Hickory would be an improvement. They can break too, but they are a bit harder to break.

If you are a muzzleloader and you've never broken a ramrod, you haven’t been shooting them much.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

It’s called a patent breech. Original Hawken rifles had patent breeches.
You could weld a drywall screw on the end of a long steel rod.

This might have been suggested before... I admit I did not read all of the comments.
Get a steel cleaning rod and a JB a drill bit to it. Put it down the barrel and slowly drill a hole into the jag as deep as you can.
Once hole is drilled use the other end of the cleaning rod and cover it with JB weld and insert into the drilled holes.
Let set.
Spray kroil down the barrel and heat the section with the stuck jag with a heat gun. Vice grip the cleaning rod at the muzzle and lever it out slowly.
Well, by know, ol' Jackoff must have that barrel ruined permanently. What a dumbass.

Everyday, just when it's finally become clear who is the dumbest of the dumb here, along comes some dickweed that is even dumb still.

What a contest to the bottom! Who can beat Jackinoffmountinass?
SheRoy,

Not everything can be as resilient as your vagina.

LOL
deflave, you need to find a new gig. This one is old and worn out. You used to be funny but now you're just stupid. Must be something in that florida water, I guess. Only a dumbass like you would move to florida.
Had a CO2 unloader but no cartridge, I’m not mixing gun powder and alcohol, so I tried the grease gun and it worked like a charm.

Question 2:
i had a wood rod break on me ,,. wont use again ,it almost speared my hand ,have heard of that happening ,..now use a sold brass rod at range ,and a fiberglass rod with pinned ends for the jag ,so they wont pull off ,i think i got it off of October Country ,or track of the wolf websites
deflave, you need to find a new gig. This one is old and worn out. You used to be funny but now you're just stupid. Must be something in that florida water, I guess. Only a dumbass like you would move to florida.

SheRoy,

I’d love to read more of your opinions on all things firearms and “funny.”

LOL
I scanned through this...very informative.

I'm curious as to whether the barrel has a removable threaded breech plug? I've done the few grains of 3F several times and removed a breech plug from a CVA Hawkenesque gun to remove stuck balls, etc.
Well, by know, ol' Jackoff must have that barrel ruined permanently. What a dumbass.

Everyday, just when it's finally become clear who is the dumbest of the dumb here, along comes some dickweed that is even dumb still.

What a contest to the bottom! Who can beat Jackinoffmountinass?

Lot of good ideas put forth on this thread, they only apply to a broken ramrod stuck in a barrel though Leroy.
Please don't apply any of the above methods to free the broken rubber dick you have stuck in your Anus.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I scanned through this...very informative.

I'm curious as to whether the barrel has a removable threaded breech plug? I've done the few grains of 3F several times and removed a breech plug from a CVA Hawkenesque gun to remove stuck balls, etc.

Originally Posted by rem shooter

Question 2:
i had a wood rod break on me ,,. wont use again ,it almost speared my hand ,have heard of that happening ,..now use a sold brass rod at range ,and a fiberglass rod with pinned ends for the jag ,so they wont pull off ,i think i got it off of October Country ,or track of the wolf websites

I'll definitely be replacing with something similar.
Posted By: sse Re: How the he’ll do I fix this? - 10/18/20
put the barrel in a vice, remove the nipple, drizzle some BP into the drum, makes no difference, two to four Fg, re-install the nipple. it won't be coming out of there very fast, but have something it can safely hit and not ricochet, etc . Wear eye and ear protection. shouldn't even bulge the barrel because your not using much powder.
Talk guns and SheRoy gets REAL quiet....

LOL
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Read the directions on the can of Gunk, and see what the maximum soak / exposure time is. You might not be able to leave it soaking overnight without destroying the barrel.

You're too ignorant to change the batteries in your own vibrator
Originally Posted by deflave
Talk guns and SheRoy gets REAL quiet....

LOL

Really? I'm laughing at the idiot that says to pull the drum. Now there is someone who should be quiet.

I can imagine that barrel makes a mountain goat trail look smooth now.

Meanwhile, our hero has a barrel full of axel grease and doesn't know what to do next. How pathetic (funny though) can he get?
Elkslayer cannot be trusted in any way shape or form he's a bold-faced liar
Beans, if anyone was ever qualified to judge an idiot contest, you’d be the first pick. All this talk of breech plugs, ramrods and grease obviously has you flustered. Don’t worry, I’m 3 weeks Trumps going to win by a landslide. With a stacked court, and Trump unbridled by his second term, liberalism will be set back 20 years. If we’re lucky, Breyer kicks it early 2021.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

You're too ignorant to change the batteries in your own vibrator

Sorry guys, this guy is losing it all over the place here tonight, because I caught him lying.

Carry on....
Jackinoffmounting, I've built more muzzleloaders from scratch that you will ever [bleep] up. You dont know what the hell you are doing, but keep at it. It sure is entertaining.
Jackinoffmounting, I've built more muzzleloaders from scratch that you will ever [bleep] up. You dont know what the hell you are doing, but keep at it. It sure is entertaining.

Building from scratch doesn’t mean cutting the tape on the shipping box dumbass. Not like you could that on your own either though.

The only thing you’ve “built” is a long list of return customers to the truck stop glory hole you operate 6 days a week. You should switch things up and use your ass instead of your mouth a couple days a week.
© 24hourcampfire