Home
Posted By: RufusG Went for a hike - Mask Report - 10/18/20
So since it's no longer summer here, I decided to inaugurate my hiking season this morning. I went up the road a piece to the McDowell Sonoran Preserve in scenic Scottsdale, AZ. I was the first person through when the gate opened, so didn't pass anyone until I turned around and headed back, by which time the trail was pretty busy.

I was surprised that maybe up to a third of the people were wearing masks, and next to no one would look you in the eye when passing, whether they greeted you or not. There's at least a thousand feet elevation gain all the way up, that's a lot of air to suck (or pretend to suck) through a mask.

At least no one had one on their dogs.

No great revelation, just surprise on my part. My recent ventures to closer city parks didn't seem to reveal that level of coverage. Maybe I've been too sheltered, but I was thinking if people could choose, they would more often choose not to.
Virtue signaling and/or fear. Same reason you see them on people in cars or riding bikes.
I saw a guy wearing his while sitting in his living room.
Some creepy people.
We were in Ketchum, ID this week which is CA-Idaho. They have city laws requiring masks. We were on an area full of nice trails on the edge of town and we saw noone wearing one. The trailhead is at 6k and the higher trails are over 7500. You suck some air there.
All these people wearing masks is what is causing the ‘rona numbers to plummet like we are seeing.

#we’reallinthistogether
I try to hit the walking track by lake in our small town on Sat / Sun mornings. Daylight.

Usually an older colored couple out walking. With masks on. At the time of morning. Maybe 4 ppl total on a 1 mile trail.
A lady in our church was hiking at Seneca Rocks this week and also saw several people hiking with masks on.
Crazy
They must just like wearing a face diaper.
They don't do schitt. Just like the dumbascraps.......symbolism over substance
Nearly 3 miles into the north loop @ Tar Hollow State Park, my son & I passed a couple with masks at the ready yesterday. The masks went up as they passed us, though we'd stepped off the path several yards into the woods. They were the only 2 people we'd seen to that point. Or in the 6 miles after.

FC
Thanksgiving mask update: This morning I did the same hike as my original report. Interesting to see mask usage was well down, below 10%, maybe no more than 5%. (It's been gradually trending down on hikes I've made each weekend since the OP.) Most folks were congenial and wished you a "Happy Thanksgiving" while making eye contact. Nice to see people acting like humans again.

One couple though saw me coming and pulled up their bandanas like they were about to hit a bank, moved to the side of the trail, and faced away. Couldn't tell if they were holding their breath. The wind was blowing maybe 15 mph at that point making it seem that much more unnecessary. One false step and they would have been careening down a steep rocky embankment but at least I wouldn't have passed the plague onto them.

The eyes of those encountered on trails are always fixed on my sidearm...
© 24hourcampfire