Home
Posted By: IndyCA35 Abolish Grades, Combat Racism - 10/23/20
Students in San Diego schools will no longer have to do homework, turn in assignments, or take tests, because none of it will count toward a grade anyway.

Instead teachers will decide if a student has mastered the material.

How will teachers make this determination without some kind of test? Well, there aren’t any details on that yet.

But surely it will be less systemically racist than an A, B, or C letter grade.

https://iman.infusion-links.com/api/v1/click/5007541850472448/6532213403287552
And give birth to a generation of morons .
And one more step is taken to turning this into a nation of mini-Stalins. Great.
In NYC the black high school kids don't even have to attend class to graduate.
Have you noticed that the Libs solution to helping black folks/etc., seems to be to lower everyone else’s standards of intelligence and behavior, and standard of living, for that matter, rather than expecting those folks to improve THEIR performance and behavior??
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Have you noticed that the Libs solution to helping black folks/etc., seems to be to lower everyone else’s standards of intelligence and behavior, and standard of living, for that matter, rather than expecting those folks to improve THEIR performance and behavior??

You're such a blatant racist, daring to say their performance and behavior needs improvement.

Yes, I have noticed that, and quite often, for decades. What I think is funny is that holding blacks to a different standard has never been "racism", but holding them to the same standard as whites is "racist" to liberals.
Originally Posted by mathman

You're such a blatant racist, daring to say their performance and behavior needs improvement.

Yep. Well, a quick review of DOJ crime statistics, and state standardized test scores (red or blue states), might suggest there is some room for improvement.....😜

They want us all to be dumasses
Systemic racism has been going on for a long time. In 1652 Van Riebeck's colonists brought metal tools, weapons, and the wheel etc. to the dark continent. By today's standards,, if them ol' Dutchmen were "woke"...they shoulda' throwed their stuff in the sea and adopted the tools and customs of their hosts. Africa would be a very different place today.
No......you can do as well as you'd like.......you just get the same grade-less diploma the failures receive.

Then....no reason for academic competition in college admissions.......only skin color.

Originally Posted by hanco

They want us all to be dumasses

Public schools with a substantial "minority" student body are nothing more than a zoo. The money we spent sending our 3 kids to the local Catholic school was the best money I ever spent. The other kids were smart and the other parents expected a lot out of the school because they were paying thousands of $. The teachers were there because the kids were teachable and continued disruptive behavior resulted in expulsion. The teachers were well qualified and took less money and benefits to teach in a good environment. All 3 of our kids were valedictorians and they were running against racehorses.
Funny how blacks are being leveraged to enslave everybody

Nothing says racism louder than lowered expectations.
I am not the "I" in this story.

Twenty years ago, in Nashville, Tennessee, during the first week of January, 1996, more than 4,000 baseball coaches descended upon the Opryland Hotel for the 52nd annual ABCA's convention.
While I waited in line to register with the hotel staff, I heard other more veteran coaches rumbling about the lineup of speakers scheduled to present during the weekend. One name kept resurfacing, always with the same sentiment — “John Scolinos is here? Oh, man, worth every penny of my airfare.”
Who is John Scolinos, I wondered. No matter; I was just happy to be there.
In 1996, Coach Scolinos was 78 years old and five years retired from a college coaching career that began in 1948. He shuffled to the stage to an impressive standing ovation, wearing dark polyester pants, a light blue shirt, and a string around his neck from which home plate hung — a full-sized, stark-white home plate.
Seriously, I wondered, who is this guy?
After speaking for twenty-five minutes, not once mentioning the prop hanging around his neck, Coach Scolinos appeared to notice the snickering among some of the coaches. Even those who knew Coach Scolinos had to wonder exactly where he was going with this, or if he had simply forgotten about home plate since he’d gotten on stage. Then, finally …
“You’re probably all wondering why I’m wearing home plate around my neck,” he said, his voice growing irascible. I laughed along with the others, acknowledging the possibility. “I may be old, but I’m not crazy. The reason I stand before you today is to share with you baseball people what I’ve learned in my life, what I’ve learned about home plate in my 78 years.”
Several hands went up when Scolinos asked how many Little League coaches were in the room. “Do you know how wide home plate is in Little League?”
After a pause, someone offered, “Seventeen inches?”, more of a question than answer.
“That’s right,” he said. “How about in Babe Ruth’s day? Any Babe Ruth coaches in the house?” Another long pause.
“Seventeen inches?” a guess from another reluctant coach.
“That’s right,” said Scolinos. “Now, how many high school coaches do we have in the room?” Hundreds of hands shot up, as the pattern began to appear. “How wide is home plate in high school baseball?”
“Seventeen inches,” they said, sounding more confident.
“You’re right!” Scolinos barked. “And you college coaches, how wide is home plate in college?”
“Seventeen inches!” we said, in unison.
“Any Minor League coaches here? How wide is home plate in pro ball?”............“Seventeen inches!”
“RIGHT! And in the Major Leagues, how wide home plate is in the Major Leagues?
“Seventeen inches!”
“SEV-EN-TEEN INCHES!” he confirmed, his voice bellowing off the walls. “And what do they do with a Big League pitcher who can’t throw the ball over seventeen inches?” Pause. “They send him to Pocatello !” he hollered, drawing raucous laughter. “What they don’t do is this: they don’t say, ‘Ah, that’s okay, Jimmy. If you can’t hit a seventeen-inch target? We’ll make it eighteen inches or nineteen inches. We’ll make it twenty inches so you have a better chance of hitting it. If you can’t hit that, let us know so we can make it wider still, say twenty-five inches.'”
Pause. “Coaches… what do we do when your best player shows up late to practice? or when our team rules forbid facial hair and a guy shows up unshaven? What if he gets caught drinking? Do we hold him accountable? Or do we change the rules to fit him? Do we widen home plate? "
The chuckles gradually faded as four thousand coaches grew quiet, the fog lifting as the old coach’s message began to unfold. He turned the plate toward himself and, using a Sharpie, began to draw something. When he turned it toward the crowd, point up, a house was revealed, complete with a freshly drawn door and two windows. “This is the problem in our homes today. With our marriages, with the way we parent our kids. With our discipline.
We don’t teach accountability to our kids, and there is no consequence for failing to meet standards. We just widen the plate!”
Pause. Then, to the point at the top of the house he added a small American flag. “This is the problem in our schools today. The quality of our education is going downhill fast and teachers have been stripped of the tools they need to be successful, and to educate and discipline our young people. We are allowing others to widen home plate! Where is that getting us?”
Silence. He replaced the flag with a Cross. “And this is the problem in the Church, where powerful people in positions of authority have taken advantage of young children, only to have such an atrocity swept under the rug for years. Our church leaders are widening home plate for themselves! And we allow it.”
“And the same is true with our government. Our so-called representatives make rules for us that don’t apply to themselves. They take bribes from lobbyists and foreign countries. They no longer serve us. And we allow them to widen home plate! We see our country falling into a dark abyss while we just watch.”
I was amazed. At a baseball convention where I expected to learn something about curve balls and bunting and how to run better practices, I had learned something far more valuable.
From an old man with home plate strung around his neck, I had learned something about life, about myself, about my own weaknesses and about my responsibilities as a leader. I had to hold myself and others accountable to that which I knew to be right, lest our families, our faith, and our society continue down an undesirable path.
“If I am lucky,” Coach Scolinos concluded, “you will remember one thing from this old coach today. It is this: "If we fail to hold ourselves to a higher standard, a standard of what we know to be right; if we fail to hold our spouses and our children to the same standards, if we are unwilling or unable to provide a consequence when they do not meet the standard; and if our schools & churches & our government fail to hold themselves accountable to those they serve, there is but one thing to look forward to …”
With that, he held home plate in front of his chest, turned it around, and revealed its dark black backside, “…We have dark days ahead!.”
Note: Coach Scolinos died in 2009 at the age of 91, but not before touching the lives of hundreds of players and coaches, including mine. Meeting him at my first ABCA convention kept me returning year after year, looking for similar wisdom and inspiration from other coaches. He is the best clinic speaker the ABCA has ever known because he was so much more than a baseball coach. His message was clear: “Coaches, keep your players—no matter how good they are—your own children, your churches, your government, and most of all, keep yourself at seventeen inches."
And this my friends is what our country has become and what is wrong with it today, and now go out there and fix it!
"Don't widen the plate."
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
And give birth to a generation of morons .

It’s too late for that
I would guess Catholic, Charter and other Private schools in the San Diego area are about to experience a flood in enrollment, not just White kids either.

The sad part is the huge disservice it’s gonna do to those responsible parents who can’t afford those options.

OTOH to the kids of the parents who don’t GAS about their kids’ education, ain’t gonna make much difference one way or another.
Posted By: add Re: Abolish Grades, Combat Racism - 10/24/20
The 3rd worlding of America is now at our doorstep.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: add Re: Abolish Grades, Combat Racism - 10/24/20
Succinct nutshell meme, to the 6 gorillion power.

Bravo.

Originally Posted by Stickfight

left/right, black/white, gay/hetero, womens/mens salaries, they really turned our society into a two piece band didnt they? You get team A or team B, and the order of the day is fighting the other team. They inject enough money for it to self perpetuate, change all the real laws they want while we argue how many toilets a transgender athlete needs to sit on.

A lot of what I am seeing now is 3rd world disaster response 101. I worked in such regions for almost a decade and their governments never let a disaster go to waste. Its a great time to make a lot of necessary changes( in their eyes), usually along the lines of enforcing doctrine and cancelling freedoms. The amount of laws being changed across the whole 1st world now is frightening. Business, banking, criminal, education, security and survielllance. Anyone with a bad idea is getting the funding they need, everyones nose is in the trough. The average person too busy to notice because he is hiding under his bed wearing a dust mask over a virus that even full transmission is 3x less likely to end his life than being overweight.

I say just give every negro child (and other people of color) their high school diploma (and a BA degree) at birth, and be done with it. No school attendance necessary. A win-win for everyone.
“Lowering the bar” is another way to say suppression. Keep people ignorant and their only choice is to ask for more. The left loves the power of suppression.
[Linked Image]

Pretty much says it all.

Attached picture 5a13ce6303650_450x600.jpeg
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Well on their way to a perfect game.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Abolish Grades, Combat Racism - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Students in San Diego schools will no longer have to do homework, turn in assignments, or take tests, because none of it will count toward a grade anyway. Instead teachers will decide if a student has mastered the material. How will teachers make this determination without some kind of test? Well, there aren’t any details on that yet. But surely it will be less systemically racist than an A, B, or C letter grade. https://iman.infusion-links.com/api/v1/click/5007541850472448/6532213403287552
I carefully read the article you cited and nowhere does it say what you declared in your opening statement (see bold above). Did you just make that statement from thin air in order to grab attention, or do you have a serious problem with reading comprehension? I would need to know quite a bit more than what is in that article before forming a firm opinion regarding their announced changes. I have no idea whether they have a sensible basis for their changes or if that will enable them to combat racism, but what is your point - your reason - for your mis statements?
Originally Posted by CCCC
Students in San Diego schools will no longer have to do homework, turn in assignments, or take tests, because none of it will count toward a grade anyway. Instead teachers will decide if a student has mastered the material. How will teachers make this determination without some kind of test? Well, there aren’t any details on that yet. But surely it will be less systemically racist than an A, B, or C letter grade. https://iman.infusion-links.com/api/v1/click/5007541850472448/6532213403287552
I carefully read the article you cited and nowhere does it say what you declared in your opening statement (see bold above). Did you just make that statement from thin air in order to grab attention, or do you have a serious problem with reading comprehension? I would need to know quite a bit more than what is in that article before forming a firm opinion regarding their announced changes. I have no idea whether they have a sensible basis for their changes or if that will enable them to combat racism, but what is your point - your reason - for your mis statements?

They clearly state they are adjusting their grading criteria to fail fewer blacks. In other words, they admit they are gaming the system (changing grading criteria) to achieve a race-based outcome. That is not helping blacks. It is hurting them.
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by CCCC
They clearly state they are adjusting their grading criteria to fail fewer blacks. In other words, they admit they are gaming the system (changing grading criteria) to achieve a race-based outcome. That is not helping blacks. It is hurting them.

Yes, their stated aim in changing grading criteria is to have fewer failures in the target groups (it may be Blacks and Hispanics) and maybe they are lowering learning expectations - and maybe they are not. They clearly state that mastery of material/content will be the core factor in grading. I have seen such an emphasis bring about significant benefits in certain learning situations, especially where emphases on "busy work" and less useful routines are diminished. The news article does not enable one to fully understand what they are doing. I would never endorse selectively lowered learning expectations based on racial distinctions, and I hope they are not doing that. Yes, that would be counterproductive and hurtful to the student. The article does not tell me that they are doing so.
Students in San Diego schools will no longer have to do homework, turn in assignments, or take tests, because none of it will count toward a grade anyway.

How will teachers make this determination without some kind of test? Well, there aren’t any details on that yet.

Subjective vs objective grading. And if one does think along the Party's line then I guess one will not achieve mastery huh? Time for the teacher's unions to go for starters.

This started in 1969, where I live.
Unfortunately the removal of absolute passing standards is also coming from the top down 😕

The California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE), instituted in 2006 as a requirement for a diploma. Kids can take it multiple times. Eventual passing rate hovered at around 90% Statewide.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_High_School_Exit_Exam

Suspended by Gov Jerry Brown ten years later.

The test has highlighted the educational disparities by race, disability, income and whether English is spoken in the home.

This has been politically embarrassing for school districts, who were previously able to ignore their failures.

Being a long time public schoolteacher I’d say that about sums it up. What the test mostly highlighted was discrepancies in parenting.

That being said, I knew several high school dropouts when I was in high school in the 70’s who went on to successful careers, especially in the skilled trades.

And heck, every high school in America has ready access to Mexican drugs, a 30 billion plus dollar industry, said sophisticated distribution networks operated to a large extent by dropouts.

The high school diploma should remain what it was, an academic benchmark while at the same time recognizing not everyone is gonna meet that standard.

Part of the problem in recent decades has been on the emphasis of pen and paper skills, “preparing every student for college”, and an abandonment of the hands-on trades in which many kids who have trouble with pen and ink (or word processor) excel.

Lowering the bar on what a high school diploma is will help no one, responsible parents of all ethnicities who can will pull their kids from public schools, while regular public schools will increasingly become holding facilities teaching the kids they are victims of “racism” while demanding very little from them.

JMHO
Once the liberals pass “universal Income”, education becomes superfluous
If they're trouble makers and aren't going to learn anything, just give them a diploma on the 1st day they're old enough to drop out and be done with them. Get them out of the classroom so the other kids can learn something.

I bet schools just across the border in Tijuana give grades..
Liberals never want to do tough work on anything. If the game isn’t going well for them, they just change the rules.

That starts with Little League trophies for all, because they can’t accept the ideas that some have more talent than others, and it goes all the way to immigration.

Take the European mess a few years ago. The Arab Spring, ISIS/ Syria mess sent a million Muslims to Europe. Instead of taking them in while the ME melted down, how about killing ISIS, stop screwing with Assad and Syria, and sending all those 18-35 year old Muslim makes back to fight for their freedom?

Liberals don’t like that. Hard choice.

Hard choices solves problems in the long run. Liberal way spawns unintended consequences.
More grease on the slippery slope into the cess pool.

You have to be really ignorant to be a communist/socialist......the school system is building their socialist base! The school system has been developing socialists for 50 years...they’ve merely gone “all in”! memtb
California Hispanic population under 18 is 48%...whites are now just 29%.

It's over.
Hanco you can't even spell DUMBASSES yourself! But Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: mart Re: Abolish Grades, Combat Racism - 10/24/20
I used to think the movie, “Idiocracy” was one of the dumbest movies ever. I’m beginning to think it was prophecy.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Yes, I have noticed that, and quite often, for decades. What I think is funny is that holding blacks to a different standard has never been "racism", but holding them to the same standard as whites is "racist" to liberals.

Yep!!!
Hire these kids to build a bridge...and if it falls and u drown...no worries....we get to try again ....WTFFFFF!
.................................Jeopardy Contestants anyone????? ; ]
Blacks can't act like whites but whites can certainly act like blacks. Destroy the standards and expectations and they are.
It is silly to think that some alleged remedies for supposedly racist curriculum or grading systems, in and of themselves, will help any student - and, as pointed out by someone here, those could very well be a hindrance to them. With regard to measuring learning achievement, assigning grades, awarding diplomas/certificates, etc., there always has been significant disparity of expectations and standards among schools in various areas and situations. That is where the "good" program reputations came about and, in general, the overall disparity is not likely to change.

However, the actual levels of student learning mastery and achievement in a particular school situation often can be improved, and sometimes dramatically. In some well-meant endeavors, such improvement has been stimulated by changes of the type generally noted in that article. Improvement in learning never results from lowered expectations on the part of the school, but it does occur as a result of changes in approach, curriculum design, application of student time on task. prevailing attitudes, etc. Those here who simply and automatically knock down the idea of subjective grading decisions about mastery by the individual teacher, or teams thereof, are displaying some ignorance indicative of less than fulsome education. In some areas of learning, judgment by an accomplished and dedicated educator is just about the only means for effective grading. And, if you think that individual teachers, even in a rigid standardized test setup for grades, do not influence the student grade outcomes through teacher behavior - you need to think some more.

It certainly is easy enough to criticize much of what has evolved in public schools and what is now being done/not being done there - I am witness to that evolution and am horrified at times - we all have observations/opinions about such things. Sometimes we are correct. But, knee-jerk criticism is not productive. That sad initial post on this matter, which badly misrepresented the content of that article on the SD Schools, is an example of the bad knee-jerk - maybe a condition due to some earlier mistakes in grading decisions.
© 24hourcampfire