Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck The Carpenters - 10/25/20
For you old timers, I stumbled onto an old photo of Karen in their heyday in the '60's and 70's. She was a very good looking woman and Richard was loved by the ladies. She probably had the smoothest voice of all time. Her anorexia is something that I've never been able to understand, but I've never had to deal with mental problems. She died at 33.
The video is one of their most popular songs.

For you youngsters, they were a brother/sister duet who topped all the lists for about 10 years. Besides singing, he played the piano and she was a drummer.

[Linked Image from ananxiouskindofmind.com]
[Linked Image from images.theconversation.com]

This was taken close to her death from anorexia:
[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
1975 Playboy rock& roll drummer of the year.

John Bonham was pizzed
Posted By: Morewood Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Was she close to you, Rockchuck?
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
These young people were very good musicians - I can remember when they were active in choral music at Long Beach State while developing their recording career - and made excellent choices about what they performed and how it was arranged. At the same time, they were ridden by personal issues that ended the run all too soon. I enjoy quite a bit of what they recorded.
Posted By: Starman Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Her anorexia is something that I've never been able to understand, but I've never had to deal with mental problems. She died at 33.

Opposite end of the spectrum -
Mama Cass Elliot was also 33 when she choked
on a ham sandwich.
Her anorexia is something that I've never been able to understand, but I've never had to deal with mental problems. She died at 33.

Also 33 but at opposite end of the eating disorder
spectrum -
Mama Cass Elliot, coroner’s findings
“fatty myocardial degeneration due to obesity”
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by Starman

on a ham sandwich.

There's your first deliberate lie of the day.

Or do you just lie because you can't help yourself?
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
https://youtu.be/sdHyzGXAJPg

Since I don't know how to immbed
Posted By: rong Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
https://youtu.be/sdHyzGXAJPg

Since I don't know how to immbed

Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Karen Carpenter had the most beautiful voice. I think she is tops in my book.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Yes to all.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
They were born in New Haven CT. My late mother grew up in the same neighborhood and knew them.
Gospel music is best.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by Morewood
Not in the least. I just really enjoyed their music.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Not in the least. I just really enjoyed their music.

Opposite end of the spectrum -
on a ham sandwich.
That was a coverup story. She died of heart failure after a short life of gross obesity, drug use, repeated crash diets, and lack of exercise. The drugs were probably the major cause of the heart failure but the autopsy didn't find any in her system at death.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
She had perfect pitch which is very rare. Her death was a loss to us and the beautiful music she sang.
She was a splendid drummer.
I read something about her anorexia. It's often caused by a desperate need for acceptance. Her mother favored Richard and Karen always felt put down. Whether it was true or not, that's what she felt. That triggered it and it went from there. After she died, the family tried to cover up the cause but it all came back to her relationship with her mother. It was a tragic mess.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
She had perfect pitch which is very rare. Her death was a loss to us and the beautiful music she sang.
I think that you are correct about her having absolute pitch but would add that it is not really rare. Many people having absolute pitch are not aware of that ability because it has not yet been applied/uncovered in their experience.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
I enjoyed their music, I just don't usually admit that unless I am drinking with good buds in camp!
I should have posted a bit more earlier - I was fascinated by the quality of their recordings. Not just the excellent recording techniques, but the musicality.

At the time, I was neck deep in various kinds of musical performance, writing and listening. Classics and orchestral/choral music from four centuries; jazz of more than one type; chamber music for wind instruments, Broadway show stuff and concert band music. Pop and rock of the time were hardly on mind.

Yet, once I carefully listened to one of their early recordings I was drawn in. Their excellent arrangements (most, I think, by Richard), Karen's fabulous vocal sound, her drum playing and his keyboard work., the beautiful phrasing, the precise balancing of musical components, the taste shown in their choices. Just great all-around stuff - the output to which any serious musician should aspire in his/her genre.

I think that maybe they were recording at A&M studio at the time - and Herb Alpert had big influence there - although I know nothing of any relationship between him and them.

Music is a huge universe for me. Those two left an indelible mark.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Karen's voice was perfect.

I had a friend in High school that was anorexic and even talking with her about it I still came no where near understanding it. She would get up to about 115lbs and freak out and lose until she was about 90lbs,it was a continuous cycle.
Posted By: las Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Karen Carpenter had the most beautiful voice. I think she is tops in my book.

Mine too. And before she went skinny, she was hot!
I've heard that while she had the voice, Richard was the musician and did the writing and productions.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Her and Linda Ronstadt....my co-#1’s.
She will be young forever in our minds.
I've heard that while she had the voice, Richard was the musician and did the writing and productions.
Yes, I too seem to remember that he did the musical planning, arranging and made most recording decisions. But, she was a strong musician in her own right - read vocal scores very well, did a good bit of harmonic/contrapuntal overdubbing, was a very good drummer.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

on a ham sandwich.

Ham sandwich is an urban myth and not my lie.
You continue to have that dumb cop mind that
makes your life so hard and miserable.

on a ham sandwich.

Ham sandwich is an urban myth and not my lie.
You continue to be dumb cop even after you
Left the job..

Excuse me, Rob.

You stated it as fact, and not urban myth... That is until you got called on it.

You talk like I ought to be ashamed of being in law enforcement.

Don't you have a BLM/There is no God rally to attend?

Dumbass.

You stated it as fact, and not urban myth....

Simply relaying urban myth is not stating it as 'fact'.

You talk like I ought to be ashamed of being in law enforcement..

You are an embarrassment to LE.
Posted By: Szumi Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
First LP I ever bought was the 'Ticket to Ride' album. She was my dream girl. RIP Karen.

You stated it as fact, and not urban myth....

Simply relaying urban myth is not stating it as 'fact'

You talk like I ought to be ashamed of being in law enforcement..

You are an embarrassment to LE.

No. Actually I was decorated.

Please tell why you aren't D.A. anymore?
Sad old Rockape is still chasing his phantom
'Rob Jordan'..

A 'decorated' cop who still cannot prove
Starman is his 'Rob Jordan'.. Tff.

A fool and his wishful thinking fantasy.

Sad old Rockape is still chasing his phantom
'Rob Jordan'..

Whoever you are, you are a total and complete POS.

One of the lowest, if not the lowest scum here at the Fire.

That you would dislike me is an extreme compliment.

Thank you.
A 'decorated' cop chasing people around on a forum
with unsubstantiated accusations..

A 'decorated' cop who came to the CF pleading
for advice on how to handle his neighbor.. 😂

A 'decorated' cop whos dog was loose on a
public road,.. Then accuses his neighbor
of trying to run it over... 😂

Clear evidence that gov. decorates inept cops.

A "decorated'' cop chasing people around on a forum with unsubstantiated accusations..

You richly deserve any amount of flack you get here.

For those that don't know you, they can read some of the man you are...

Member comments about you are priceless. smile

Nothing but common trash.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ave-been-just-like-your-ran#Post14418795

You know, the lumbering lard ass that says he has found Jesus, but still struggles with eating disorders and obesity ,
side-effected by his statin cholesterol drugs, and opiodes for his backpain or bum knees,
..could also be suffering from crippling gout and nursing a serious ingrown toenail he is too afraid to see a doc about,
so he perseveres with it like a real trooper but also like a cripple, tenderly hobbling into church, finding it hard to simply
sit or stand, or concentrate well on anything- be it his surroundings or church service to his God.

CF types are also partial to their hard liquor, so apart from the drowsiness , dizziness, difficulty sleeping, headches, nausea ,
tiredness, mood swings etc, caused by their meds, they may also be adversely effected from last nights drinks.

If those compounding issues are not enough, then theres the underlying emotionally inept aspect, Some cannot even keep
their cool in CF keyboard battles, getting all flustered-emotional, erratic, irrational, and losing the plot.

bUt hey don't worry....cause they will try and have you believe they will keep their head screwed-on when someone is emptying
a 12 guage in their direction...cause they have attained a Skillset from punching static cardboard badguys that have never
shot back, have been reading Ayoob for 25 yrs and watching John Boy Correia Utube tutorials on active self protection.

They like to believe that from all that (and a bit of prayer help from Jesus)... they are piping schitt hot physically and mentally prepped,
poised and ready to proficiently engage any active shooter at any moments notice /or split-second the starters gun is fired.

course if it gets too hot in the kitchen, they can take opportune cover with their sidearm behind the pews with all the innocents
still huddled in their seats that they are supposed to be protecting and re-emerge to rush forward , ..when the dust is already
beginning to settle.

end.

RockApe is offended coz he fits that description?

Btw: do folks know you are a 'decorated' cop..?.. 😂

Posted By: kroo88 Re: The Carpenters - 10/25/20
Her voice is unequalled in my book.

It’s a shame that the cause of her death even has to be mentioned.

That was a coverup story. She died of heart failure after a short life of gross obesity, drug use, repeated crash diets, and lack of exercise. The drugs were probably the major cause of the heart failure but the autopsy didn't find any in her system at death.

Cover up?... I thought the ham sandwich was just
the media cashing in on how society views fat people
and their gluttonous lifestyle.

Apparently there actually was a ham sandwich
in the room, the media ran with it in their own
self interest style of reporting , even though
the sandwich was untouched.

Posted By: CCCC Re: The Carpenters - 10/26/20

Mama Cass Elliot was also 33 when she choked on a ham sandwich.
There's your first deliberate lie of the day.Or do you just lie because you can't help yourself?

Ham sandwich is an urban myth and not my lie. You continue to have that dumb cop mind that makes your life so hard and miserable.
Starman, what is NOT an urban myth is your history in this forum - documented with your own posts - perfidious, deceptive, callous, nasty, and on and on. Your life appears to be hard and miserable - done to yourself.
Posted By: Redneck Re: The Carpenters - 10/26/20
She had what nearly everybody in the business agreed on - that she had the best voice for a female - EVER.... And I happen to agree..
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: The Carpenters - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by CCCC
I should have posted a bit more earlier - I was fascinated by the quality of their recordings. Not just the excellent recording techniques, but the musicality.

At the time, I was neck deep in various kinds of musical performance, writing and listening. Classics and orchestral/choral music from four centuries; jazz of more than one type; chamber music for wind instruments, Broadway show stuff and concert band music. Pop and rock of the time were hardly on mind.

Yet, once I carefully listened to one of their early recordings I was drawn in. Their excellent arrangements (most, I think, by Richard), Karen's fabulous vocal sound, her drum playing and his keyboard work., the beautiful phrasing, the precise balancing of musical components, the taste shown in their choices. Just great all-around stuff - the output to which any serious musician should aspire in his/her genre.

I think that maybe they were recording at A&M studio at the time - and Herb Alpert had big influence there - although I know nothing of any relationship between him and them.

Music is a huge universe for me. Those two left an indelible mark.
After they signed with A&M, they did their 1st recording using a song owned by A&M just as it was written. It was less than spectacular and A&M was going to drop them. Alpert recognized something special in them and talked A&M into giving them another chance. They used another song owned by A&M, Close to You, but this time Richard overhauled it and it was the top seller. They followed that with 'We've Only Just Begun' and they were on their way.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: The Carpenters - 10/26/20
Leave it to the 'fire to have a pissin match start on a Carpenter's thread.

Awesome.

Not sure the sweetest voiced angel from Heaven could sing better than Karen Carpenter.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: The Carpenters - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by Szumi
First LP I ever bought was the 'Ticket to Ride' album. She was my dream girl. RIP Karen.

If you were a 17 year old male in 1970 she was your dream girl. She was good looking and could play the drums. The only thing she needed was a hot rod and a hunting rifle to make her complete.

kwg
Posted By: ribka Re: The Carpenters - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Leave it to the 'fire to have a pissin match start on a Carpenter's thread.

Awesome.

Not sure the sweetest voiced angel from Heaven could sing better than Karen Carpenter.

yep.

Some things cannot be disputed. Im not a big Carpenters fan, but there is no denying the incredible talent in both of them.
Posted By: antlers Re: The Carpenters - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Leave it to the 'fire to have a pissin match start on a Carpenter's thread. Awesome.
lmao
© 24hourcampfire