Home
Posted By: riverdog Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
As discussed in the Elk Hunting section, we lost our home in the East Troublesome fire. One question that comes up is how to replace tools. Like many people I had accumulated a lot of good tools over the years, but all different kinds, brands, etc. So, if you were starting from scratch, where would you start? Big sets? What brands? I haven’t really kept track of quality and origin in the different brands...years ago always bought Craftsman but not sure that is still the way to go. Also would appreciate thoughts on gun tools, especially screwdrivers.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
Sorry to hear about that. The idea of an entire set of new just doesn’t even seem right, I reckon it’s like old guns. Not sure what say about replacements, but whatever box I thought was big enough, I’d go bigger.

Good luck
I would go with Chapman for the gun screwdrivers and S-K for most of the ratchets/sockets.

Other tools could be from Channel lok or Kline.
For ratchet/socket sets, I think SK tools is a good value for made in USA given the offshoring of Craftsman tools if you want new. Don't know what your budget is. Will insurance cover any of the tool loss?

I have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive 6 pt socket sets by SK.

SK Tools Socket Sets - Amazon

There's always the used market. Can be hit and miss, but sometimes you can get large tool sets at estate sales and auctions.

You might also checkout Harry J. Epstein Co.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
China made of, course, the Crescent tools are all right.
Posted By: riverdog Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
Good insurance coverage
I'll also plug the SK tools.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by riverdog
we lost our home in the East Troublesome fire.

Well that's a giant Suck! Sorry tohear.

If I was going to replace all my tools I would probably go with Cobalt for hand tools and straight up Milwaukee for the power tools.

How's the insurance company treating you?
Wright sockets, Jake has a 3/4 set, just fine, USA made.
Reading your OP, I don't really get a sense of what your requirements are, (hobby, agriculture, industrial) or how long you need your toolsets to last. Having been a heavy equipment field mechanic for over 50 years, supplying my own tools and truck, if it's long term investment, you will find it's brands that serve the industry. In no particular order, Proto, Williams, SK Pro etc. Because I live and work rural, I generally went with Proto so I could get 24 hr delivery from Grainger.
Short term, say you're 60 yr old, for hobby, I'd go with Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, their upper end brands are not that bad for casual use.
Straight hobby tools, like gun stuff, you probably know more than I do.
I'd probably replace mechanics tools with Harbor Freight, Pittsburg brand, Lifetime guarantee, but at my age,I won't be wearing anything out. Screwdrivers for firearms I'd get a set of Wheelers.

Power tools,I guess it depends if you are looking commercial or home handyman. Battery or cord? I think anything Dewalt is way over priced. Anything Craftsman is junk today.Ryobi isn't too bad
Powertools I really like the Milwaukee Fuel M12 & M18 lines.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
I don't make a living with any of my tools. If I had to start replacing everything I would look at Tekton tools. They are a US owned company and 20% US made, 75% Taiwan made. In tool reviews on Youtube, the feelings are that more of their production is being brought back here as well. With all you are going through, tools are ne thing I wouldn't make too much fuss over. Good quality with a lifetime warranty will work for me. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that are using Harbor Freight tools but keep it on the down low.
I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck in your recovery.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
I bought a set of pittsburg fully polished end wrenches the other day SAE and Metric. Noticed they fit looser on nuts than the same sizes craftsman wrenches. Won't matter for light home use but for real work tools I would buy better quality. My brother worked for a tool sales company for several years.
He said for his money he would buy Porter Cable power tools. They were rarely returned. He said Dewalt was the most returned tool they sold.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Noticed they fit looser on nuts than the same sizes craftsman wrenches.

I have two sets of Craftsman wrenches that are 20+ years old. From new, the 5/8" wrenches have been different sizes.
Posted By: edapp Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
I have been very impressed by the couple of Milwaukee tools I purchased within the last 1-2 years. M12 battery tools but hand tools as well.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
One would need to be a serious mechanic to need a set of USA made tools. Just Googled USA sets and just don't see the price difference for a hobby user.

g
+1 It’s this way with gunsmithing as well.. Industrial machines are a slightly different thing, but hand tools -no question
Call a few manufacturers.
I will bet one if the American manufacturers might cut you a good deal on a big replacement package.
It would certainly make a great PR piece.
I would stay away from anything made in chiner, if at all possible. I have had far too many chinese made products fail and I have no confidence in virtually anything that's MIC (including tools).

My recommendation is to first make a list of everything you need. Then start looking for good used Made in America tools on flea-bay, at garage sales and at flea markets. Flea-bay should suffice for the majority of your needs. The pre- assembled tool kits often have crap products, a bunch of stuff you don't need and are lacking in other items you do need. Tools found in these kits are often of lower quality - ergonomics, durability and country of origin are important considerations. Perusing flea-bay will allow you to get exactly what you want and you can be assured that the tools you choose are made in America. I have assembled several tool chests/boxes this way. Yeah, it takes longer, but I'd rather have good quality tools that I choose than a bunch of crap that's barely useful.

Some tool brands I have had good luck with:

SK
Proto
old Stanley
Reed
NAPA/Carlyle (USA)
Blackhawk
Some American made Lisle tools
MAC
Snap-on
made in America Craftsman tools
Williams
Thorsen
Bonney
Matco
Wright

Electric tools are a different matter, but you usually can't go wrong with Milwaukee or Makita.

Nothing wrong with purchasing stuff like shop knives, hacksaws, blades and certain abrasives at Lowes, though.
Posted By: badger Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
Craftsman is now carried by Lowes, and even the guys that work there tell you they are crap.
Yep. the once great Craftsman tool brand has been watered-down and manufacture has been moved offshore to chiner. The old American-made Craftsman is a much better bet, which you can easily find used.
Gearwrenches are a nice item.
Posted By: riverdog Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
Lotta good information here. Thanks everyone. Got to thinking I’m getting ahead of myself here. I don’t have anyplace to put any tools or work on anything
Originally Posted by riverdog
Lotta good information here. Thanks everyone. Got to thinking I’m getting ahead of myself here. I don’t have anyplace to put any tools or work on anything

Nothing to stop you form starting to accumulate tools...
When our buildings fell down, we used a pickup toolbox, a nonrunning Bronco, and the hose for our tools
Get started now. I've been accumulating tools for the past 30 years and I'm still not finished!
+1 on S&K, then Proto, Snap-on. Don't buy cheap stuff you will regret it.

Mike
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
I deal with industrial contractors and maintenance teams daily. For electrical stuff they’re about 6:1 Milwaukee to other stuff. Some Dewalt. Miller welders.

For socket sets and wrenches they mostly use various flavors of imports because stuff tends to wander off on job sites.

Knipex pliers are a must have.

Lots of Klein screwdrivers.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Yep. the once great Craftsman tool brand has been watered-down and manufacture has been moved offshore to chiner. The old American-made Craftsman is a much better bet, which you can easily find used.

B&D or Stanley bought the name.
Posted By: johnw Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll also plug the SK tools.

SK is back in business and still producing first quality tools made in the US.

I have a 3/4 drive SK set that I am at least the 5th owner of. All of the owners names are on the box, and I knew the 2 before me.

5-6 years back I nooticed that they ratchet spring seemed sloppy and maybe a little iffy. Called SK and told them about the set. Told them how old it was. Told them that there had been a list of previous owners.
The factory rep asked for the number on the ratchet. I asked her what a new set of guts would cost. She told me, "No charge for parts/repairs/replacement for any broken or failed SK tool."
I still like the Craftsman screwdrivers.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
If you live anywhere near a military base tool shop at the local pawn shops.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
If you’re on a budget , the Lowe’s brand has a lifetime warranty I believe and won’t break the bank.
Posted By: pal Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
I would start now watching for quality used tools in excellent condition. Watch for name brands. Avoid Chinese.
Around here, Goodwill has one day a week they set out tools .Pennies on the dollar
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Buying new tools question - 10/26/20
I've had more SK sockets fail than any other, but would still probably go that route for a basic socket/wrench set anyway, given the other options.

Would absolutely shop used, you can occasionally find someone selling a full box with tools and get a decent deal.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by High_Noon

B&D or Stanley bought the name.

They also purchased the Manufacturing facilities located right here in the US of A but chose profits over quality resulting in another great American company being ruint or worse.

Several of the Craftsman rolling tool chests are still made in America, and they seem to be decent quality - certainly not the quality of a Macsimizer, for example, but decent.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Buying new tools question - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
If you live anywhere near a military base tool shop at the local pawn shops.

Winner right here. I have made my living with tools ( hand and electrical) and 90% have been bought at pawn shops. I’m not talking craftsman even though you can buy a broken screw driveR for .25 and drive straight to the store and exchange it. My stuff is snap on, Matco, blue point, fluke, amprobe. When I started my job 20yrs ago, we were a division of ingersoll-rand. They had a intranet page set up for everything from hand tools to air compressors to golf carts and bobcat brands. One guy bought his skid steer through work.
Far as power tools go, about any of the "Pro" brands(Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Metabo...) SHOULD last for years of homeowner use. Current load out on my job truck is M18 Fuel Mlwaukee cordless tools, 15 amp DeWalt circ saws and both Makita and Hilti rotary hammers with Hilti power actuated nailers.

Hard to go wrong with Estwing or Picard hammers. Ames(US made) shovels have always been high quality.
Posted By: ribka Re: Buying new tools question - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Far as power tools go, about any of the "Pro" brands(Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Metabo...) SHOULD last for years of homeowner use. Current load out on my job truck is M18 Fuel Mlwaukee cordless tools, 15 amp DeWalt circ saws and both Makita and Hilti rotary hammers with Hilti power actuated nailers.

Hard to go wrong with Estwing or Picard hammers. Ames(US made) shovels have always been high quality.

you know as much about tools as cameltoe Harris knows about Chasity lmao
© 24hourcampfire