Home
Posted By: wabigoon Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
It's been low for a long time. What do you hear about scrap prices?
Posted By: GeorgeLa Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
$60 a ton here in northern UT. Just took some down last week.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Check on scrapmonster.com for current market. A month ago, my last load of prepared #1 I only got 50 a ton...but saved my marriage.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Hope it stays low.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Scrap follows the price of fuel.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
You can't find an old used cultipacker or parts for one around my area because of the last surge in scrap prices. Every piece of equipment not being used got sold as scrap. I ended up buying a new cultipacker, don't want to do that again soon.
Posted By: ERK Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Ok I’m a retired farmer and I have to ask what is a cultipacker! Edk
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by ERK

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
That's a fancy new one. Jake' is an old Western Land Roller. A lot of chilled cast in all of them. The weight is to break clods.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by ERK

Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by ERK

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Used for packing seed in food plots.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
You can't find an old used cultipacker or parts for one around my area because of the last surge in scrap prices. Every piece of equipment not being used got sold as scrap. I ended up buying a new cultipacker, don't want to do that again soon.

5 or 8 years ago when scrap briefly hit $300/ton locally, a banker friend said "Who knew that to clean up the county all we needed was $300 scrap?" People were pulling old cars and equipment out of hollers and fence rows and river bottoms to haul to the scrap yard. BUNCH-O-Stuff went down the road on trailers to be scrapped.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

5 or 8 years ago when scrap briefly hit $300/ton locally, a banker friend said "Who knew that to clean up the county all we needed was $300 scrap?" People were pulling old cars and equipment out of hollers and fence rows and river bottoms to haul to the scrap yard. BUNCH-O-Stuff went down the road on trailers to be scrapped.

Same thing happened in the place I grew up.
As to the rollers, I'd like to pull two, we have a squadron hitch from corn planters. Too much scratch for twenty acers a year.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Seed to soil contact is important
Posted By: Hudge Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
I’ve dealt with selling scrap a few times in my life. Back in fall of 2010 or 2011, I sold a bunch of scrap metal I picked up between work and the farm we deer hunted on. One day while out hunting, I tripped over a bunch of copper wiring that had been buried. I pulled it up, and sold it and kept the feeders filled with corn from that money.
Scrap price is a barometer on the economy.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Scrap price is a barometer on the economy.

No...its a barometer of local theft.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
Parts store used to give $15 for an 'old' battery.

Didn't have to buy a new one.

You can guess what happened when the local meth heads figured that one out!
Posted By: TheKid Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
I work at a power company. It’s incredible the danger a meth head will put himself in to swipe .35 cents worth of copper.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
My uncle had his sprinkler heads stolen, from his wheel lines a few years ago! They caught the thieves at the scrap yard! Uncle had called the scrap yards in our town and neighboring towns, telling them to be on the lookout for around 500 brass sprinkler heads! The thieves were a father and two sons! Piece of crap, raising more pieces of crap! Scrap in this state now requires ID to scrap over 50$, worth of material.
Posted By: pullit Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/26/20
I scraped some lead the other day .52 ¢/pound. A few years back it was bringing .72 ¢/pound
Posted By: rem141r Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/27/20
so low here that i have a pile of washers, dryers and hw heaters. whatever the price is in jan when the weeds are dead, i'm hauling it in. sometimes barely worth the fuel and effort.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/27/20
Jake's Western Land Roller.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/27/20
How many times do you go over your farm ground?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/27/20
What do you mean Wayne? For oats we disk, drill, then roll. The cows eat the stalks down well.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/27/20
Jake's Western Land Roller.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I envy anybody's dirt that isn't red. Black earth is pretty and doesn't stick to everything steel.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hope it stays low.

So do I, Druggies are not stealing every piece of metal that isn't bolted down .
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/27/20
Didn't know if we were dealing with Clint Courtney or Phil Garner.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
I work at a power company. It’s incredible the danger a meth head will put himself in to swipe .35 cents worth of copper.

Some of them don't win.

[Linked Image from inspectapedia.com]
The gruesome death by electrocution shown in the photograph at page top occurred when the man shown tried to steal electrical power from a high voltage cable. -
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/28/20
"Just poor farmers that's all we were tryin' to make a livin' out of black land dirt."

Iowa state told me it's the organic matter that makes soil dark black or dark red,
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/28/20
"Just poor farmers that's all we were tryin' to make a livin' out of black land dirt."

Iowa state told me it's the organic matter that makes soil dark black or dark red,

We 've been working organic matter into red clay for hundreds of years in upper central KY, ain't got it to turn black yet.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/28/20
Not scrap metal but the druggies around here are stealing the heck out of catalytic converters again. Precious metals are still high!
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/28/20
Can always tell when meth cooking is going on locally. Truck batteries get stolen. At least the meth heads that steal mine bring tools to disconnect the cables. The animals that steal my brothers cut the cables and cost him a fortune in repairs.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/28/20
Must not be very good now. Some scum bags left an old trailer house sitting on a gravel road a few miles away a couple weekends ago. Came back this weekend amd cleaned schitt out of it then set it on fire. Now there is a burned trailer house with no tires sitting on the road.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by TheKid

So do I we had crack heads try cutting transmission lines at a substation a few years ago the one guy was a ball of fire by the time he fell to the the ground. This is from a call I responded to crack heads stole a natural gas furnace and water heater without shutting off the gas[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: MM879 Re: Scrap Iron Prices? - 10/28/20
The tires on my truck are over $1,500.00. I won’t drive in a scrap yard for $12.00,
© 24hourcampfire