Home
Posted By: SamOlson Da Heifers made it Home... - 10/26/20
550 horsepower Caterpillar and a good driver.

He had been working at pulling away from the chute for a minute before I pulled out the phone.

Sounded pretty bad ass!

You guys use the liquid feed in that roller feeder?
I thought this was gonna be a story about some corn fed mid west girls stumbling in from an all night bender.
Sam, what is the load limit on those 3 axle stock trailers?
We don't use them here, and the 2 axle trailers can legally haul 48-50K, depending on the weight of the tractor.
Looks like he did alright, no chains even. I’d be stuck for sure.
You might plant a string of trees up the hill and then in the future you could plan on hooking up a long cable and winch....

Well crap. You need a few trees for shade and scenery anyway.
Barry, you could feel it when that sucker was wrapped up!

That is an insulated water tank. Those things are great, especially when you don't have power at the site.

JBlues, I know you love the big furry black girls.

Mark, that load was crowding 70k, not sure what legal limit is with that setup. He has the pusher axle on the semi as well.

BTW, happy birthday!

Norman, I wouldn't even know how to drive that rig. A trucker I am not!

Jag, no room for trees in this country...lol
I've pulled a few cattle rigs Sam. With the old Tractormotive, the truck looks mighty big!
Richard, you know if the tractor hadn't been sitting there we would have needed it for sure.
Sam, it's gettin' to be time for the tire chains here.
LOL
Sm, how many miles did you haul those heifers? We used to drive our cows down the road, used to not much road fence any more.
Use to stick the little tractor and then had to walk back half mile to the barn to get the big tractor to pull out the little tractor. But that was years ago.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That is an insulated water tank. Those things are great, especially when you don't have power at the site.

Gotcha.

I bet that is needed up there.

Kinda looks like the roller feeders down this way...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Richard, it's about 90 miles from the corral over west to here.

Today was the first of 10 semi loads.

I am beyond jealous of guys like Jim who have all their grass right out the gate.

Little more work and stress how we have do it....lol
Looks like youve got winter weather.

If theres no power at the water, how long is the water line?
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Looks like youve got winter weather.

If theres no power at the water, how long is the water line?

When ranching in NM, where a good well was few and far between, and the pastures were huge, we had several waterlines that ran several miles.

Usually the well pumped to a big holding tank that was 40-50 feet across and 6-7 feet high. Then the water would gravity flow to the troughs. One line was 8 miles from the holding tank.

Twas really fun to get a big water leak, and drain that big holding tank... eek

Busting ice off the troughs in winter was an all day affair too.
Ben, we are spoiled here at home.

A few years ago they put in a rural water system which pumps water out of the Missouri river and then it is 'cleaned up' and pumped into waterlines that feeds hundreds of homes and farms.

Our entire town is now hooked up to it.

Excellent water.

It is huge ongoing project supported by federal funds.

Barry, we have two wells out at the grazing association that fill giant bladders and supply dozens of tanks via gravity. That and countless stock dams.

Barry, we have two wells out at the grazing association that fill giant bladders and supply dozens of tanks via gravity. That and countless stock dams.

I figured you had some of that going on.

Can be quite a job to keep it all working.

Knew a couple of lazy dumbasses that didn't, and cattle died pretty quickly.
Out the gate you say??

Ha!

Posted By: jimy Re: Da Heifers made it Home... - 10/27/20
Jim are those windmills on the horizon off to your right ?
Transmission lines.
Thanks, Sam !
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Da Heifers made it Home... - 10/27/20
Ben, we are spoiled here at home.

A few years ago they put in a rural water system which pumps water out of the Missouri river and then it is 'cleaned up' and pumped into waterlines that feeds hundreds of homes and farms.

Our entire town is now hooked up to it.

Excellent water.

It is huge ongoing project supported by federal funds.

You folks have it made......................

thanks to our taxes!

laugh
Heifers look good Sam.
© 24hourcampfire