Home
She got caught. They'll probably have to slice this one out. She's a tough little booger. This one's the hunter too. She's lights out on the trigger.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rong Re: My Granddaughter Went Fishing - 10/27/20
That pic will get her some "street cred"
Hope she's ok.
Stick her had in ice for a few minutes and numb it . She's tough .
Posted By: jimy Re: My Granddaughter Went Fishing - 10/27/20
That will come out easier than you think, just google hook removal, that trick of putting a loop of line around the shank and holding the eye down tight , a quick but stiff jerk and out they come.
Wow! Smiling about a hook in her hand!? The boys in her class will love it šŸ˜³
Look up how to remove a hook from your hand. Hard to type it all but you look yarn or line around the hook and press down on the eye of the hook, pushing the barb out of the meat of your hand and pop it comes out
Getting hooked is a rite of passage started long ago it seems.

It is ageless.

Hope she gets thru fast.
Luckily kids heal quickly.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Stick her had in ice for a few minutes and numb it . She's tough .

this is what i do then push it through cut the barb off
Holy smoke thatā€™s a tough kid šŸ˜Ž Congrats.
Posted By: RNF Re: My Granddaughter Went Fishing - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by jimy
That will come out easier than you think, just google hook removal, that trick of putting a loop of line around the shank and holding the eye down tight , a quick but stiff jerk and out they come.

This will work, lots of videos on youtube.
So, the newest "Captain Hook"?

She has a nickname if she wants it.
Tough young lady - she's even trying to give you a high five. Attagirl!
This one is deep and in the muscle or tendon. That complicates matters. They are going to let the doctors handle it.
Originally Posted by RNF
Originally Posted by jimy

This will work, lots of videos on youtube.

Works like a charm. I've had two removed that way.
Mine did too, but it only caught her hair. Hope getting that out didnā€™t hurt her too bad!

All things considered that's a great picture.

I've taken a couple out of my kid like that, use Ice and push it through, cut the barb of and pull it back. As a mater of fact I did a couple (OK maybe more)on myself while out fishing because I knew if I went home to Ma she'd make me quit fishing for the day, I wanted none of that!
I have used the string method and the push thru cut-off barb many many timesā€”lots of times give them a good shot of whiskey grab the pliers and just yank it out.
But thatsā€™s still a little girlā€”take her to a real doctor.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
This one is deep and in the muscle or tendon. That complicates matters. They are going to let the doctors handle it.

I was wondering if that was the case, the string method doesn't work so well if they are deep like that. I had a buddy that got a treble hook deep in his hand like that, took three hard yanks to get it out and there was a lot of cussing and swearing at the boat dock. Lol
Thatā€™s one tough young lady.

Iā€™ve been known to pinch barbs when not fishing for money or survival, my German Shorthair pup appreciated my forethought when he decided to investigate a flatfish that Iā€™d hung up on my rear view mirror. šŸ˜

Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll pull through just fine and a little extra ā€œbabyingā€ probably goes a long way.
Tough young gal there - and still has a smile on her face about it
Love her attitude. Makes a Dad (and grandpa) proud.
Cool.

We need more girls like your granddaughter, Paul
Five will get you ten Facebook and Twitter would delete that pic or publish a warning. Too graphic! Sarcasm.

That picture will get her a lot of street cred.
Edit: If you take her to the doc, she will likely get a stitch or two. More street cred!

She is also one cute kid, and I mean that in a good way, not a weird way. (What have we come to that I feel I need to qualify that?!!!)
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Five will get you ten Facebook and Twitter would delete that pic or publish a warning. Too graphic! Sarcasm.

That picture will get her a lot of street cred.
Edit: If you take her to the doc, she will likely get a stitch or two. More street cred!

She is also one cute kid, and I mean that in a good way, not a weird way. (What have we come to that I feel I need to qualify that?!!!)

She's 180 out from her sister. This one is hunts, fishes, plays in mud, loves 4 wheelers, etc. Her sister is a more typical young girl.
This picture for me was like one of those "say when you got it" deals. Took me forever to see the dang hook in her hand....then you can't not see it. Its in there pretty good looks like, and its important that she get a tetanus booster if necessary.

I've managed to fish probably 50 years and have never gotten hooked....came close a couple of times. Probably just means I'm due. Fished with a friend one time and we got into the largemouths good. We were catching them with topwater plugs....you know the kind that have three treble hooks on them. He had a bass on the floor of the boat and went to grab its mouth, it kicked at the perfect time and set one of the trebles in his hand real bad. It would have been quite a rodeo had he been alone, having to unhook a fish that was hooked to him with one hand. I got the fish off, and the lure off the line and we went to the immediate med.

A couple of guys were quite amused to see him sitting in the waiting room with a big topwater plug hanging from his hand!
Tough little gal, hope shes ok
She got caught. They'll probably have to slice this one out. She's a tough little booger. This one's the hunter too. She's lights out on the trigger.

Refreshing to see a normal tough kid.

Bet she doesn't drink desert coffee.
not fun getting one in the finger while a big kingfish is hooked on the leader flopping around. i had to pin it down and it managed to bite my other hand so blood everywhere. I cut the leader then pushed the barb through and cut it off.
Awesome pic of a tough little girl!
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not fun getting one in the finger while a big kingfish is hooked on the leader flopping around. i had to pin it down and it managed to bite my other hand so blood everywhere. I cut the leader then pushed the barb through and cut it off.

LMAO off at that vision!

But...been there done that with a big Northern Pike...
Big smile from a tough pretty young lady.

My grandmother cought the back of my head with a treblle hook plug. A long boat, and car ride to a doctor.
Did that when I was 12 or 13. Tried the yarn truck. After dad and grandpa drug me all over the house we went to the ER. Doc said no big deal, slid a hypodermic needle in with the hook, covered up the barn, and slid it out. Took longer to give me a numbing shot than it did to remove the hook.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Did that when I was 12 or 13. Tried the yarn truck. After dad and grandpa drug me all over the house we went to the ER. Doc said no big deal, slid a hypodermic needle in with the hook, covered up the barn, and slid it out. Took longer to give me a numbing shot than it did to remove the hook.

I carry a couple of stiff needles (leather sewing needles) with the hope that I will be able to do something similar. But I have never had the opportunity to try it and so far, no one, including me, has been willing to do a test to see how well it works (or not.)
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I was wade fishing at the tip of Petit Bois Island. I caught a Spanish on a Gotcha plug. It sliced my finger open good and I drove one of the trebles into another finger just past the barb. I went ahead and pulled it back out against the barb. The finger the Spanish got was bleeding quite a bit. I was blotting it on my shirt while I continued to fish but a good bit of blood was going into the water. After about 3 minutes of steady bleeding I saw a silhouette of what looked like about a 6 foot long bull shark ease up toward me. That gave me the cold willies.
Update on Cass. She is good. They ended up taking her to an ER nurse friend's house. She deadened it up, pushed the hook through, snipped the hook with side-cutters and backed it out. Cass didn't like the needle. She still wins tough girl points.
Cute little girl, tough too. If was mine she's go to professional, urgent care, doctor, etc.
Update on Cass. She is good. They ended up taking her to an ER nurse friend's house. She deadened it up, pushed the hook through, snipped the hook with side-cutters and backed it out. Cass didn't like the needle. She still wins tough girl points.

Thatā€™s gotta be worth an ice cream cone at least?

What was she fishing for and more importantly, did she catch anything except herself?

I was digging around the other day and found a brand new Mitchell 200-201 spool (not the reel, just the spare spool) and the old users manual. I donā€™t fish Mitchell reels and I have no use for it so if you or any of our campfire regulars could use it themselves or for their kids or grandkids Iā€™d be happy to send it to you or any one of our conservative campfire regulars. All I need is an address to send it to.

Tight lines......and maybe pinched barbs? šŸ˜
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Thatā€™s gotta be worth an ice cream cone at least?

What was she fishing for and more importantly, did she catch anything except herself?

I was digging around the other day and found a brand new Mitchell 200-201 spool (not the reel, just the spare spool) and the old users manual. I donā€™t fish Mitchell reels and I have no use for it so if you or any of our campfire regulars could use it themselves or for their kids or grandkids Iā€™d be happy to send it to you or any one of our conservative campfire regulars. All I need is an address to send it to.

Tight lines......and maybe pinched barbs? šŸ˜

They were fishing for crappie with rods and reels while they had some jug lines out for catfish. They left the jug lines in because they left in a hurry. They went back and collected them today. They had a big one on one of the lines. I'll see if I can get a pic.
Pretty little sportsman grand daughter you got there!

My old man pulled one through my nose when I was about 5. Next day I stuck a cypress splinter deep in my big toe. I'll take the hook any day.
Posted By: RNF Re: My Granddaughter Went Fishing - 10/27/20

God news. Cute and tough ,hope it's not sore very long.
© 24hourcampfire