Home
Posted By: McInnis Compact tractors - 10/27/20
I retired and moved to the country last year. I have a long gravel driveway and I fought the snow best I could with a snowblower last winter but I’m ready to say hell with that and get a compact tractor with a blade. I would use it for spreading gravel as well. Probably something in the 25-30 hp range.

I don’t live in a very populated area and there’s only two tractor dealerships close by - one’s a Kubota, the other’s John Deere. Any advice on these two?
Posted By: DHN Re: Compact tractors - 10/27/20
Test drive them, see which you like better. For me, the forward/reverse controls on the JD were more comfortable for my size 14 feet and long legs; the Kubota was even more cramped for space than the Deere. In quire from other buyers about the quality of service from each dealer.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Compact tractors - 10/27/20
Look around for an older John Deere 4400 or an 855/955.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Compact tractors - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by McInnis
I retired and moved to the country last year. I have a long gravel driveway and I fought the snow best I could with a snowblower last winter but I’m ready to say hell with that and get a compact tractor with a blade. I would use it for spreading gravel as well. Probably something in the 25-30 hp range.

I don’t live in a very populated area and there’s only two tractor dealerships close by - one’s a Kubota, the other’s John Deere. Any advice on these two?

Id lean Kubota .but a John Deere great but you will pay greatly
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Compact tractors - 10/27/20
I own a John Deere 4310. Get a Kubota. The yanmar power plant in the JD is bullet proof. Too bad it’s the only thing that is. Blown lift cylinder, transmission shifter issues, wheel hub.... hydraulics aren’t smooth. Never again. As someone above said, kubotas operator ergonomics are a little funky. Guessing they’re designed more for a 115lb 5’3” guy though!
Posted By: cv540 Re: Compact tractors - 10/27/20
Similar situation. Somewhat long steep gravel driveway.

Used a 4 wheeler with a plow a few years, works fairly well unless you get multiple big snows, then it piles up.

Bought a John Deere 3032e with a front end loader. Upgraded from 5 ft rear blade to a 6 ft rear blade. When the blade is turned to the sides its just a bit wider than tractor. Beet juice in the rear tires and rear chains both make a big difference. Rear blade works well for snow

Front end loader helps when snow gets too deep to move it where you want it.

Also works well for gravel.

For light snows 4 wheeler is faster, but overall tractor is so much more useful.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Compact tractors - 10/27/20
How much land do you have?
For really big storms when our trucks got overwhelmed we used to lease a loader usually with a backhoe.
If you think you might have other projects come up, you may want to consider something that could handle a modular backhoe attachment.
Or a modular post hole attachment..
Etc
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: Compact tractors - 10/27/20
Both good brands, compare price, dealers and features. Both brands make lemons. Lots of good used ones out there too.
Posted By: tddeangelo Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I made the jump from a literal lawn tractor to a subcompact utility tractor this past spring. I went to a JD 1-series. I don't have a ton of land, but a SCUT made sense for the things I do need to do. 250' of driveway...snowblower works, but takes forever and I hate it.

1.5 acres of woods, leaves in the yard, to be chopped up, mulch to spread, brush to keep pushed back...so on and so forth.

I looked at orange and green.

Pricing things out, I found the JD to actually be a hair cheaper. What actually made the choice for me is the local Kubota dealer was more annoyed to have to get up and talk to a customer than anything. The JD dealer actually wanted to make a sale. Thus the decision was made.

Could have easily gone the other way. Yeah, the 'Bota treadle pedal is weird, but learnable. I didn't think much of it, but my lawn tractor is a Husqvarna which has a similar style pedal arrangement.

60 hrs on it so far, and I love my JD 1025. Ask me in 10 years if I still do... lol.

One big plus for Kubota...no RIO switch. The JD RIO is easily (and reversibly) able to be bypassed. The Kubota simply didn't have it, which is a good thing, IMHO.

Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
My Mahindra is a year old and needs to go back in for the second time for several warranty issues.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I have a 25 year old Kubota L2500DT. Tough little tractor.

I know things have changed in regard to quality across all manufacturers, but I’d still vote Kubota. They hold their value extremely well. Plus, I can still get virtually any OEM part I need after 25 years.

If I were to buy new I would get an L3301 with hydrostatic transmission, R4 tires and a quick attach for the front loader.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I have a Kubota BX2670. Pretty much trouble free in a warm weather locale, dunno about up north. 550 hours...change the oil and move on.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Kubota

Whatever size you’re thinking of get a bigger one
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
John Deere Model 990. 40hp.

It’s a heck of a machine compared to the Massey 210 I used to have.

Bought it with 300hrs on it, came with 6’ Bush hog, 6 1/2’ disc and 7’ grader box.

Those 6 iron weights up front are mandatory.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Kubota

Truth .
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My Mahindra is a year old and needs to go back in for the second time for several warranty issues.

Little issues or what?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Local dealer support!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Local dealer support!

Very big issue.
Posted By: mart Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I bought a 2018 Branson 3725 last year. Had 88 hours on it. It has been a great tractor. I use primarily for the sawmill, loading logs and moving stacks of lumber.

They are Korean built, very easy to work in and a lot less money than Kubota. Mine has the hydrostatic drive.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I'd go kubota.

That being said our little 22horse massey has been great. 6 years of torture on 80 acres and only been in shop once.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20

Ten years ago......

Bought a new 35 HP 4x4 Kioti....shuttle drive..FEL....

Dealer 2 + hrs away........

Clean fuel......regular filter/oil/fluid changes...450 hrs now.......

Trouble free.....
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I'd go kubota.

That being said our little 22horse massey has been great. 6 years of torture on 80 acres and only been in shop once.

What Model, Joel?
Posted By: k2nd Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
My wife and I live on 11 acres and our driveway is a quarter of a mile long. We started with a John Deere walk behind snow blower and used that for 12 years then went to a 4-wheeler with a blade and a cab. In 2018 we bought a Kubota B2650 with a cab, front end loader and 60" snowblower. Now my wife loves to deal with the snow! She claims that it only snows when I'm at work. It's been flawless and the best thing, in my opinion, is that Kubota builds everything. Unlike John Deere. With Deere you will pay more just because of the name. Make sure you get a cab.
k2nd
Originally Posted by k2nd
My wife and I live on 11 acres and our driveway is a quarter of a mile long. We started with a John Deere walk behind snow blower and used that for 12 years then went to a 4-wheeler with a blade and a cab. In 2018 we bought a Kubota B2650 with a cab, front end loader and 60" snowblower. Now my wife loves to deal with the snow! She claims that it only snows when I'm at work. It's been flawless and the best thing, in my opinion, is that Kubota builds everything. Unlike John Deere. With Deere you will pay more just because of the name. Make sure you get a cab.
k2nd

Deere are “green “ for a reason !

Lots of used ones around to choose from in all models.

tractorhouse.com
Posted By: ironbender Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Local dealer support!

Very big issue.

It’s all about the dealer support, IMO.

I’ve heard and read that for a big farm tractor, go green. Homeowners should look hard. @ kubota.

So I did. I’ve got the B 2560. It’s been great, which is good as the dealer is 3 hours away. Haven’t needed it yet except for maintenance parts.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I'd go kubota.

What Model, Joel?

Small 1705. Its not perfect but being smart on hydraulics and transmission use. Im impressed
Posted By: cfran Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Have a 2013 JD 4510, little bigger than what you are looking for but it’s been solid. Prior to that I had a Kubota L3320, also a good machine.

Stay away from the “e” series JD’s which are junk. But the “grand” Kubotas and the larger Deere’s are solid.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by k2nd
k2nd

That’s pretty similar to my situation. We have 8 acres and about a quarter mile of driveway. It doesn’t snow that much here but the house and attached garage make a V shape that faces NW so it really drifts in front of the driveway. Three inches of snow everywhere else means two ft in front of the garage.

My neighbor has Kubota BX2370 he really likes but it does seem a little under powered. I’m really listening to the comment about buying a bigger one you think you’ll need.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Kubota

This in spades
Posted By: bucktail Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Everyone is telling you to go big but if you can get by with 25hp you won't have to have tier 4 emissions. If you go old enough you won't need to worry about it. If you go used avoid the kubota 3350. It's plagued with DPF problems. I like the L2501. It's heavy for its power but it's short on options. No middle PTO no cab and if you want gear drive it won't have live PTO. B2650 is lighter but can be had with middle PTO and a cab.
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Kubota

Absolutely! I have a 2601. Should have went with the 33 hp instead. Mine has a little over 200 hours and has been trouble free. I use mine pretty hard.
The “want” has been when using the FEL and plowing the garden. It’s not a HP problem, it is a weight problem. I need more weight at times and it would have been solved with a 33 or larger.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Jd is no more expensive than Kubotas... anyone that says so wasnt comparing equal models. Sure the R series is going to cost more than a MX, as it should.

Both are great manufacturers... to me it would be which dealer is better first, then which machine felt better.... in that order as you wont be on it everyday making a living, if so Id swap the importance order.

Id feel safe in assuming you get a bit more snow in WY than I do.... if you get a lot, where you’ll be pushing snow a good bit, get remotes and a hydro blade. Id also get 3rd function upfront and get a hydro plow on my fel.

Why 30? 30 is big enough to tear stuff up, but small enough once you learn how to work it you’ll be mad its only 30. My around the house machine is 66hp and its still too small sometimes! Has the power but not the weight!
I'd go kubota.

What Model, Joel?

Small 1705. Its not perfect but being smart on hydraulics and transmission use. Im impressed

Tuff machines.
Good post. Kubota and Deere aren’t priced that different. I went from a 32 hp tractor to a 60 hp, physically the more powerful tractor is only 20% larger (footprint). But weight and power makes the larger machine massively more useful and efficient. It’s not even close.
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Kubota

Absolutely! I have a 2601. Should have went with the 33 hp instead. Mine has a little over 200 hours and has been trouble free. I use mine pretty hard.
The “want” has been when using the FEL and plowing the garden. It’s not a HP problem, it is a weight problem. I need more weight at times and it would have been solved with a 33 or larger.

Wheel weights, water in the tires and tire chains.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Check out
Tractorbynet.com
and go to the Forum
they have helped me out quite a bit.
I was told about them from my Kubota Dealer that sold me my MX5800 a couple years ago
On that Forum they will tell you that the dealer and how they treat you is just about as important as the Tractor it self.

I can not imagine having a better Dealer than the one that helped me out and is still helping me even after the years of owning my Tractor.
If you get a funny feeling talking to a particular Dealer I suggest finding one that you can talk to freely and that can talk to you freely.

Good Luck with what you eventually end up with.
Posted By: Docbar Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I bought a 2020 JD 4044M this spring. I take care of 40 acres that is mostly pasture, mainly bush hogging and spraying. It’s been trouble free so far.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I bought a Kubota 62 horse tractor a few years ago and before that borrowed a John Deere about the same size. The Kubota outperformed it hands down. If I were buying new it would be Kubota. Used would be an older John Deere that was still made in the USA.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
i went through this recently, i was upgrading from a 30 hp, wanting to get into a 45/50 hp.

I loooked at new holland, kubota, deere, bobcat, case ih.

I settled on a bobcat 45 hp 4 wheel drive, hydrostatic, with loader, pallet forks, bush hig mower, bix blade.

That was in June. I'm over 130 hours on the bobcat now, I like it, a lot.

Huge amount of leg room, suspension seat, the hydro trans and controls are excellent, loader is very strong. I did a lot of excavating with it in June, July, August.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The bobcat was by far, the best value.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Go orange.

They are worth it in the long run.

Take the time to set in one and get a feel of the controls,they will let you do that.
Posted By: huntstat Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I have a Kubota MX5100 that I have loaned several times over the years to my neighbors when their JDs were in the shop. I borrow their trailers to transport cattle but never needed their tractors. Buy orange ......
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I have a Kubota L3910 with an allied 295 loader . Its only got 1000 hours and will out last me .
Posted By: Steve Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I bought a Kubota B2601 last winter. Been very reliable so far. Have been having issues with the loader's quick coupler leaking. They replaced it once. Did fine for a while then the new one started leaking. Had the guy out to look at it again. All under warranty.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by bucktail
Everyone is telling you to go big but if you can get by with 25hp you won't have to have tier 4 emissions...

This sounds important but I don’t know what that means. What are tier4 emissions and why are they bad?
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Def systems i think.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20

New Holland is the best selling tractor on the planet.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Little issues or what?

Bleed down on the bucket curl, an HST pedal that was sticky and some broken 3 pt linkage. Now it has a hydraulic leak (which may explain the bleed down on the FEL) and it also has an issue where it intermittently does nothing when I turn the key.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
i went through this recently, i was upgrading from a 30 hp, wanting to get into a 45/50 hp.

I settled on a bobcat 45 hp 4 wheel drive, hydrostatic, with loader, pallet forks, bush hig mower, bix blade.

Huge amount of leg room, suspension seat, the hydro trans and controls are excellent, loader is very strong. I did a lot of excavating with it in June, July, August.

I am pretty sure they are rebadged Kioti tractors.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Kioti makes a good tractor and if a dealer is near you it would be an option I would suggest you look at. My son has a 45hp Kioti and it has be a good machine.

As others have said, having a good dealer that will be in business years from now is important.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Everyone is telling you to go big but if you can get by with 25hp you won't have to have tier 4 emissions...

This sounds important but I don’t know what that means. What are tier4 emissions and why are they bad?

My Kubota MX5800 has a Regen Burn and it tells you when you need to do it.
No DEF to add to it.
The DEF is for larger engines
Posted By: ENorton Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
The dealer in Worland sells Kiotti if you want another alternative. I plow with my Yamaha Viking faster than a tractor but not as versatile for other jobs. The best deals on used tractors are back in Midwest, There is also another guy in Riggins Idaho that sells TYM tractors and reconditioned gray market Japanese compact tractors. As has been mentioned service is a big thing but I am sure both dealers in Powell would service a used model of their brand even if not bought from them. For what it is worth I bought a lawn tractor from the John Deere dealer in Powell and I thought they provide great service.

Designed by bobcat, built by daedong who also builds kioti. I think new holland is more of a rebrand than bobcat these days. LS tractors.

Bobcat sold compact tractors until somewhere around 2011-2014 then got out of tractors. They just re entered the market with seemingly agressive pricing breaks and incentives.

I wish my front axle has more articulation than it does, other than that I have no gripes. As others have said, the tier 4 is a regen, like an exhaust filter cleaning cycle without def.
Loader strength is something I needed. Coming from a new holland TC30 (bullet proof by the way), which had a lifting capacity of about 800 lbs... that wasn't nearly enough for me.
Loader capacity was difficult to research and compare because everyone listed their capacities differently. In the end, after translating everyones BS, i felt the bobcat unit had very good lifting strength comoared to kubota (which was on my short list)

I'm not disappointed.

Posted By: KFWA Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I only have anecdotal evidence but my FIL had a John Deere that stayed broke as much as it ran. They ended up just parking it and using the Fords they had.

MIL had a Kubota 3 cylinder diesel and it would sit for 6 months until I'd go to start it - get a fresh charge on the battery and it would fire up every time. The only problem we had with it was a rim rusting. 4wd. I think it was a B7200 series which used is worth about $4K right now.
Loader strength is something I needed. Coming from a new holland TC30 (bullet proof by the way), which had a lifting capacity of about 800 lbs... that wasn't nearly enough for me.
Loader capacity was difficult to research and compare because everyone listed their capacities differently. In the end, after translating everyones BS, i felt the bobcat unit had very good lifting strength comoared to kubota (which was on my short list)

I'm not disappointed.

FWIW I like the color scheme too. Had that been an option when I was shopping, I would have considered it.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I think new holland is more of a rebrand than bobcat these days. LS tractors.

In the very small tractors, yes. LS makes some New Hollands. Case too.

Case-New Holland (CNH Corp) has used them for quite awhile to make the small tractors. But you get up past 45hp, and they break away from LS more, and stick with Fiat roots.

Most New Hollands, and Case tractors are made by CNH. They even have quite a big factory in Mexico.

It's interesting to watch the global tractor market these days.

Personally, I'd like to see the old "color brands" get away from the color stereotypes. Way too many blue that isn't NH, as well as too many oragne that isn't Kubota, and red that isn't Case, and green that isn't JD....

Love to have color options with tractors. I damn sure wouldn't pick red, blue, green or orange. My tractors would be tan.... smile
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Buy a JD or Kubota if you plan on keeping it a long time (parts availability) or for resale value buy a Kubota or JD. There's really only two options when buying a small tractor. My new Kubota has over 3k hours in 4 years without any mechanical issues. It's a little quirky and herky jerky compared to my JD tractors but I won't be buying anymore green tractors.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Buy a JD or Kubota if you plan on keeping it a long time (parts availability) or for resale value buy a Kubota or JD. There's really only two options when buying a small tractor. My new Kubota has over 3k hours in 4 years without any mechanical issues. It's a little quirky and herky jerky compared to my JD tractors but I won't be buying anymore green tractors.

What hp is the Kubota?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20

Deere... Their compact tractors are built like tanks.. In that HP range, consider the 1025 or similar..
Not a chance I would buy a little Deere, I know lots of guys that have the stuff in the 25 hp range like 1025’s, etc. Trash IMO, and way overpriced. And that’s coming from a JD tractor owner.
Originally Posted by cfran
Not a chance I would buy a little Deere, I know lots of guys that have the stuff in the 25 hp range like 1025’s, etc. Trash IMO, and way overpriced. And that’s coming from a JD tractor owner.

I guess they have their uses. But in my opinion, they are more of a garden tractor.. (lawn mower). Great for small landowners.
Posted By: CaptArab Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Kubota over deere every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'd go L2501 with hydro and quick attack bucket, but if you plan on operating in the snow a whole lot a cab would be tempting . . .

The options add up fast on the Grand L's
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Local dealer support!

This is important.

I have nearly all green stuff here on the farm but if starting from scratch I'd go with the dealer I could get along with the best. Chances are you'll be back for service, repairs, and buying new attachments.

No compact tractors here to give any opinion beyond the dealer advice.
Posted By: H5farm Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
That bobcat tractor looks awesome. Didnt know they got back in the tractor business. Nice lift power.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Local dealer support!

Very big issue.
10 years ago a friend bought a Mahindra. The nearest dealer was 200 miles away. He had very good luck with it but he did have to take it back for a minor hydraulic problem. 400 miles round trip, twice. Now there's a Mahindra dealer here.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I think new holland is more of a rebrand than bobcat these days. LS tractors.

In the very small tractors, yes. LS makes some New Hollands. Case too.

There is a lot of that kind of cross pollination. TYM makes some Mahindra tractors.

That means that you need to have a diesel particulate filter. Most of them are trouble free when new. There are regeneration cycles where they burn off the contents of the filter where you need to throttle up or park it and let it burn off. The big thing is that there is a dpf and some sensors that will probably go bad someday and be very expensive to fix.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Kioti makes a good tractor and if a dealer is near you it would be an option I would suggest you look at. My son has a 45hp Kioti and it has be a good machine.

As others have said, having a good dealer that will be in business years from now is important.

My lil' 20HP Kioti has been bulletproof so far, 12 years of abuse and it just keeps on going.
75 acres, 3/8 mile drive, another 1/2 mile of private gravel road.

Posted By: bruinruin Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
To hell with a blade. Get a tractor mounted blower. Trust me on this.

That means that you need to have a diesel particulate filter. Most of them are trouble free when new. There are regeneration cycles where they burn off the contents of the filter where you need to throttle up or park it and let it burn off. The big thing is that there is a dpf and some sensors that will probably go bad someday and be very expensive to fix.

Fugged up by our own govt. mad

the Tier rating is fugged up too.

Anything over 75hp has to have DEF system now.

Most all in the 75hp class have a DPF as well.

I have an exception... my Mahindra 75hp burns clean enough that it has no DPF, nor DEF. Just add diesel and go. smile
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Wish'd it snowed that much..........
Posted By: worriedman Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Amazing how much work I can do with this little machine, 10 years old, never a hitch in its getalong.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20

Fugged up by our own govt. mad

the Tier rating is fugged up too.

Anything over 75hp has to have DEF system now.

Most all in the 75hp class have a DPF as well.

I have an exception... my Mahindra 75hp burns clean enough that it has no DPF, nor DEF. Just add diesel and go. smile

Caterpillar sent me DPF by mistake once.

The box was marked ....no returns if opened.

I of course opened it.

Gee....thats not what I ordered!

Got a bill for 35,000 dollars.
Originally Posted by worriedman
Amazing how much work I can do with this little machine, 10 years old, never a hitch in its getalong.

I like that grabber bucket ! 'Bota too..........
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by tikkanut

I have a 24 hp Massey Ferguson with a front loader and a rear blade. Chains on the rear tires (tires are loaded). I live in Northern lower Michigan and clear about 300 feet of driveway with 2 parking areas.. We get some fairly bad snows here. With a blower I'd be in good shape, but in the aftermath of some storms and being a bucket and blade operation, I'm damned near outclassed on that machine. Being able to blow the snow and only have to deal with it once versus blading 2-3 passes, then cleaning up the spillage has me making 6-8 passes to get things cleaned.

A good snow will have me in the seat for 2+ hours.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

You write them a check yet? whistle
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Like others have said, whichever dealer is best. I'd start by looking to see if they have any decent used stuff. They get trade-ins that can be in good shape and low hours. We have a personal friend that owns several Kubota/New Holland dealerships, so I'm don't have experience with JD. I only have 3.5 acres, but my driveway is 1/4 mile long. When I built my house in 1999, he had a couple 1994 B1750's with low hours. One with a bucket and one without. I couldn't afford the one with the bucket, so I bought the one without and put a rear blade on it. It was a good tractor until it got over 20 years old and started to have drive train issues. In 2010, my old man bought a little 20hp BX something with a bucket. His driveway was 1/2 mile long and I would use it to push his driveway when it snowed. In 2014 we had a 3 foot snow storm and it did fine. I had a hell of a time with mine with the rear blade. Had to use my neighbors tractor with a bucket to get out and go get one of my Bobcats to clean the place up. Make sure you get one with a bucket. After he passed away in 2016, I took his tractor and sold my 1994. That little BX is good, but I wish I had one a little bigger.

I like Northern Dave's Bobcat. I love Bobcat skid loaders. I currently have 3. I was in the Bobcat dealer a few months back and was looking at the tractors and they look sweet. Pretty much all of the bells and whistles that you can get with a Kubota. I'd trust it.

Posted By: Redneck Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20

laugh No, you don't... Oh, IF you get a blade, try to get one that has the hydraulic swing option... Failing that, one item that can do a better job on gravel is a box-scraper... And those can also work with snow.. I have one - and have used it a LOT over the years..

You write them a check yet? whistle

They canceled the charges!

Also that year they charged us 50,000 dollars in shipping for some parts.

We had to argue that one for a couple billing cycles.

Moral of the story.......dont fugg up your DPF!
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
You might consider a skid steer of some kind.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Ok on the wish list add at least one rear remote hydro hook up. Front would be nice, but mom might think we're getting greedy. Unless you can sneak it in somehow, then make it a go.
Nice pic of the buck in the bucket. Kubotas are the right color for hunting. 😀
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

What hp is the Kubota?

100 hp it's made an excellent hay tractor.

I'm not disappointed.

FWIW I like the color scheme too. Had that been an option when I was shopping, I would have considered it.

Kind of neat, but they have trouble with rust bleed showing through the white powder coat on sharp laser cut edges on the heavy steel, like loader frames. They actually have a new loader frame for me because of this, they were the ones that brought it to my attention. I just haven't been able to part with the tractor long enough to have them swap it out.
I have rear hydro hook ups and a lever in back for my 3 point to help hook up implements without walking around and adjusting at the fender controls.

Kind of neat, but they have trouble with rust bleed showing through the white powder coat on sharp laser cut edges on the heavy steel, like loader frames. They actually have a new loader frame for me because of this, they were the ones that brought it to my attention. I just haven't been able to part with the tractor long enough to have them swap it out.

I have a white equipment trailer that bleeds rust that way. frown

Was warned before I ordered white though, so it's on me... It did come with 2 free cans of matching touch up paint.

Matches your tractor!

Maybe you ought to buy it from me? grin

I have a white equipment trailer that bleeds rust that way. frown

Was warned before I ordered white though, so it's on me... It did come with 2 free cans of matching touch up paint.

Matches your tractor!

Maybe you ought to buy it from me? grin

If it wasn't tandem duals, we'd talk. lol!

I don't need any more than 14k lb rating, That's a beautiful trailer tho.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
What do you guys think of Yanmar? Are they just a different color Deere? Locally we have a kubota, jd, new holland, and mahindra dealers.

The last garden tractor I had was an old international harvester. I would like something small with a bucket or forks to move trailers/bots/rv's around the yard. Right now I use an RTV with a contraption I made, but a small tractor would open up other opportunity.

Yeah, that one's pretty HD...

Had to take a tractor and shredder to the shop the other day, and it started shedding rubber. Ended up putting 8 new tires on it.... And 6 new ones on the pickup while it was there.

Dammit. 14 new tires. frown
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
What do you guys think of Yanmar? Are they just a different color Deere?

Yanmar is a japanese company that for many years made most of John Deere's small tractors. I believe now that's changed and Deere builds most of the small tractors themselves but Yanmar still makes a lot of the engines for them. Deere outsources a lot of stuff, the only equipment they make that's 100% made by them is the big ag stuff, the smaller stuff has various parts outsourced. The JD homeowner stuff you see in Lowes is just the same as the lawnmower sitting next to it with a different color paint, they're just trying to cash in on the Deere name.

Yanmar makes quality stuff, their diesel engines are all over the place.

For many years you'd see small Yanmar branded tractors around. They were grey market imports that weren't made for the U.S. market but for Japan and imported here. Most were pretty small 2WD units, probably about 20 hp. They were cheap to buy and tough little tractors for their size. They didn't look anything like a Deere and if you didn't know Yanmar built stuff for Deere you wouldn't connect the two.

I just googled it and it appears you can buy new Yanmar tractors here again. I doubt they're rebadged Deeres although they might share the same engine as some of the small Deeres.

Over the last 15 years or so Kubota has pretty much taken over the market around here for tractors less than 100 HP. They probably outsell the next competitor 10 to 1. The really big Ag stuff in the delta is John Deere or Case, but smaller than that it's overwhelmingly Kubota. Even on the big 10,000 acre delta farms the field stuff will be JD or Case but their running around tractors will be Kubota. There are Kubota dealers in just about every town and service is easy to find, not that it's needed much. I think of them as the Toyota of tractors, they're great quality at a decent price. There are other makes like Kioti, Bobcat (just a rebadged Kioti), LG, Mahindra, etc. that make decent tractors but they're not priced significantly lower than Kubota so it makes sense to go with Kubota for the ease of dealer availability since you aren't going to save any significant money on the others.
Package deal for same money the anchorage dealer wanted for tractor w/o QA on the FEL alone.

Originally Posted by ironbender
Package deal for same money the anchorage dealer wanted for tractor w/o QA on the FEL alone.

Those package deals can be pretty good!

My dealer told me the other day that a couple of the big tractor dealers that usually sell the package deals at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, were stuck with last years inventory they had stocked up for the event.

The rodeo/stock show was cancelled.

He said they are losing $1500 to $2500 per package deal just to sell them. eek

Good for someone looking for a deal.
And 0% interest.

The tractor hadn’t been back on the trailer.

Now , it’s my hay trailer.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I dig your horse trailer, IB.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Much like why I went with Kioti.
Dealer-less than 10 miles away, free delivery and pick-up of old China tractor [they took on trade] along with 0%
Dealer came and did 1st & 2nd oil changes free of charge[including supplies]

Kubota dealer 40 miles away, $250 delivery fee[no trade in], 5% interest and acted as if HE WAS DOING ME A FAVOR selling the tractor.

Yeah, that one's pretty HD...

Had to take a tractor and shredder to the shop the other day, and it started shedding rubber. Ended up putting 8 new tires on it.... And 6 new ones on the pickup while it was there.

Dammit. 14 new tires. frown

Ouch! $$$$
Originally Posted by Raeford
Much like why I went with Kioti.
Dealer-less than 10 miles away, free delivery and pick-up of old China tractor [they took on trade] along with 0%
Dealer came and did 1st & 2nd oil changes free of charge[including supplies]

Kubota dealer 40 miles away, $250 delivery fee[no trade in], 5% interest and acted as if HE WAS DOING ME A FAVOR selling the tractor.

Similar here, I got 0% and a free loader incentive on the bobcat. Kubota guy was pained just to take my call. I was like "F you guy, I got 20k cash to put down and I'm not tire kicking, I need to buy something TODAY. Bye."
Buy your equipment today from my friend in Devils Lake.

Some sort of bobcat dealer.

Ironhide?
What do you guys think of Yanmar? Are they just a different color Deere?

Yanmar is a japanese company that for many years made most of John Deere's small tractors. I believe now that's changed and Deere builds most of the small tractors themselves but Yanmar still makes a lot of the engines for them. Deere outsources a lot of stuff, the only equipment they make that's 100% made by them is the big ag stuff, the smaller stuff has various parts outsourced. The JD homeowner stuff you see in Lowes is just the same as the lawnmower sitting next to it with a different color paint, they're just trying to cash in on the Deere name.

Yanmar makes quality stuff, their diesel engines are all over the place.

For many years you'd see small Yanmar branded tractors around. They were grey market imports that weren't made for the U.S. market but for Japan and imported here. Most were pretty small 2WD units, probably about 20 hp. They were cheap to buy and tough little tractors for their size. They didn't look anything like a Deere and if you didn't know Yanmar built stuff for Deere you wouldn't connect the two.

I just googled it and it appears you can buy new Yanmar tractors here again. I doubt they're rebadged Deeres although they might share the same engine as some of the small Deeres.

Over the last 15 years or so Kubota has pretty much taken over the market around here for tractors less than 100 HP. They probably outsell the next competitor 10 to 1. The really big Ag stuff in the delta is John Deere or Case, but smaller than that it's overwhelmingly Kubota. Even on the big 10,000 acre delta farms the field stuff will be JD or Case but their running around tractors will be Kubota. There are Kubota dealers in just about every town and service is easy to find, not that it's needed much. I think of them as the Toyota of tractors, they're great quality at a decent price. There are other makes like Kioti, Bobcat (just a rebadged Kioti), LG, Mahindra, etc. that make decent tractors but they're not priced significantly lower than Kubota so it makes sense to go with Kubota for the ease of dealer availability since you aren't going to save any significant money on the others.

This. They make good stuff but the dealer network is pretty thin stateside.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I bought my tractor used and in excellent condition. Now, if tractor dealers would get with the program and put out 15,000balloons, a bunch of rippling flags, maybe an inflatable dancing monkey or two, I'd be on it!
Posted By: Texson2 Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Hate to admit it but I have a 8n 52 Ford that I have used the hell out of and abused forever. All I do is put gas in, check oil,check coolant . Haven’t found anything it won’t do. Worst case scenario for it’s so simple you can rebuild everything yourself if needed. I’m sure it will outlast me. Makes you appreciate what made America Great.
Posted By: coobie Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20

Get a Cab tractor, you can thank me later..

Ironhide?

Ours came from ironhide. My closest dealer is Bemidji mn. But I sent my boys out to Williston to get ours. They would have delivered for free but I needed it faster than they could get it here.

Designed by bobcat, built by daedong who also builds kioti. I think new holland is more of a rebrand than bobcat these days. LS tractors.

Bobcat sold compact tractors until somewhere around 2011-2014 then got out of tractors. They just re entered the market with seemingly agressive pricing breaks and incentives.

I wish my front axle has more articulation than it does, other than that I have no gripes. As others have said, the tier 4 is a regen, like an exhaust filter cleaning cycle without def.

Thats 100% false, it’s a rebadged Kioti just like last time... bobcat does not manufacture tractors at this time.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Kubota without a doubt. As an extra the Kubota QA on the front end will except any std skid loader implement. Don't go any less than the 26HP tuned to 25

Ironhide?

Ours came from ironhide. My closest dealer is Bemidji mn. But I sent my boys out to Williston to get ours. They would have delivered for free but I needed it faster than they could get it here.

How long a trip Dave?

I drove to WA to get mine.
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

Thats 100% false, it’s a rebadged Kioti just like last time... bobcat does not manufacture tractors at this time.

No, Dumbass...

He said it was made by Daedong for Bobcat.

What are you doing in a thread for men in the first place?
LOL.

No, Dumbass...

Hey dipchit.... Daedong is Kioti you stupid putz... go back to hanging out with your trailer trash neighbor

No, Dumbass...

“ Bobcat Company has introduced 15 new models of compact utility tractors ranging from 21 to 58 horsepower.Bobcat previously sold Daedong-built compact tractors from 2008 to 2013. The new tractors are the result of a new partnership between Daedong and Doosan, Bobcat's parent company. Daedong is currently in the US market with their Kioti brand.”

https://www.tractordata.com/news/2019/09/bobcat-compact-tractors.html

Fugging retard...
Posted By: oldpinecricker Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Had John Deere tractors at work and hyd pumps were a constant issue. The New Holland and Kubota were far more reliable. I would also look at Yanmar tractors. Get something a bit larger than youll figurre what youll use as a mininum. Youll be glad for the extra capacicy at some point.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Kubota.....nuff sed.
Posted By: saskfox Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I would highly recommend to find a pre emissions tractor.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
Originally Posted by saskfox
I would highly recommend to find a pre emissions tractor.

Yep, I can't speak for compact tractors but there is a reason the 10 series JD's literally appreciate in value as time goes on.

No, Dumbass...

“ Bobcat Company has introduced 15 new models of compact utility tractors ranging from 21 to 58 horsepower.Bobcat previously sold Daedong-built compact tractors from 2008 to 2013. The new tractors are the result of a new partnership between Daedong and Doosan, Bobcat's parent company. Daedong is currently in the US market with their Kioti brand.”

Fugging retard...

Ah So!

I get it now.

Dave was 100% correct from the get go.

And you were wrong to call him on it.

Spin it some more, girlfriend! laugh

No, Dumbass...

Fugging retard...

Ah So!

I get it now.

Dave was 100% correct from the get go.

And you were wrong to call him on it.

Spin it some more, girlfriend! laugh

Lol, your a fugging moron... they are Kioti’s... with a different color.

The only spinning here is you and your methhead neighbor you ghetto trash fug...
You go, Girl! laugh
You go, Girl! laugh

Says the pussy asking for neighbor advice on a forum about some ghetto trash...

Go kick his ass you silly fug...

Funny how your all billy badass now lol, but your methhead neighbor has you by the britches ha?

Who’s the chick on the mans thread?.... lmao...
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Compact tractors - 10/28/20
I bought one of those 8ns to mow grass with. Couple times around the yard and I was rid of that thing just as fast as someone would take it.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

Handy as a pocket on a shirt...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
Depending on, a Ford NAA with a hydraulic loader can do some work.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

Yes. Buy a used one at an auction or estate sale.

[Linked Image]

Get a diesel and get double the horse power you are looking at now. Get a wide front end, not the tricycle type front. I'm not pitching any particular brand here but just showing you what you can get if you don't worry over those "colors" and sales pitches. That tractor I use has a Hesston sticker on it and made by Fiat probably 50 years ago. They haven't even made those in at least 20 years and I can still go to the Ford tractor dealer or the internet and get about any part on that tractor. I just a month ago bought a BRAND NEW power steering reservoir screw on plastic cap to replace the one that has been cracked since I bought the tractor.

See what it would cost to get just the lid for a Fujiyamahawker power steering cap from Tokyo. Mine cost $15.

I pull that 6 foot back blade uphill on my gravel driveway and pull those two, 2 yard concrete rollers behind to smash down and flatten in the same trip, in second gear of the mid range selector, 2/2. And that is just so my slow old man reaction time can keep an eye on it and drive at the same time.

Easily pulls a 6 foot snow blade through snow as deep as the blade in one trip at 10-15 mile an hours. If the snow is wet or sticky just kick it in high gear and run it half as deep and it throws snow like the highway truck. You have to come back any way so plowing out AND back is no big deal.

I made up a REESE hitch attachment point for the front bumper so I can use anything on the front that fits in my truck hitch and I all my shop vises will fit that plus any of those "carry platforms" for trucks. I use one on the front to carry all my chain saw equipment and I mean ALL and that way the bucket is empty to use for managing logs. Plus you can use it to add weight to the front. I use the same iron weights I use with my weight lifting gym equipment. They are cheap in the classifieds and you can always get your money right back or even more. I never pay more for them than the going price for scrap iron.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
You go, Girl! laugh

Says the pussy asking for neighbor advice on a forum about some ghetto trash...

Go kick his ass you silly fug...

Funny how your all billy badass now lol, but your methhead neighbor has you by the britches ha?

Who’s the chick on the mans thread?.... lmao...

Hey... Liar... Why don't you run back and quote where I asked anyone for any advice.

Dumbass.
Posted By: turkish Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
Daedong? Lol. No thanks.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
Ejp sucks a daedong.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

Ironhide?

How long a trip Dave?

I drove to WA to get mine.

409 miles each way.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

Handy as a pocket on a shirt...

I'd give my brother in laws left nut for that set up.

I'm sure bobcat and kioti share some components. But they are 2 different tractors, although likely similar. There is more than paint color that's different. Much like LS is similar to new holland boomer series. But you don't get a "cheap boomer" by purchasing an LS. They are different.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
You’ve gotten good advice that I’ll echo: Dealer support probably matters more than color, get a size or two bigger than you think you you will need, and get a cab. One other point, that you should consider if you’re in an area with sane used tractor prices is pre-emissions larger displacement motors have power at lower rpms and frequently have more useful power. In addition, they are notably heavier, which for many things matters more than HP. In my area, used tractors are insanely priced and the lure of 0% financing is very real. I’ve got a 900’ driveway and have used both a 7’ bucket and a 7’ front mounted snow blower. As much as I appreciate the snowblower, I’d never trade it for a FEL.
Originally Posted by elkaddict
You’ve gotten good advice that I’ll echo: Dealer support probably matters more than color, get a size or two bigger than you think you you will need, and get a cab. One other point, that you should consider if you’re in an area with sane used tractor prices is pre-emissions larger displacement motors have power at lower rpms and frequently have more useful power. In addition, they are notably heavier, which for many things matters more than HP. In my area, used tractors are insanely priced and the lure of 0% financing is very real. I’ve got a 900’ driveway and have used both a 7’ bucket and a 7’ front mounted snow blower. As much as I appreciate the snowblower, I’d never trade it for a FEL.

Mid pto and a front mount blower, that would be awesome.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
Kubota

Best advice right there.

I got a JD 4044M because of this exact issue. Probably 90% of people either want a bigger tractor or buy a bigger tractor. The salesman tried to talk me into a 3 series, and when I was in last for service he confessed to buying a 4. I chose the JD for it's controls and the dealership. Kubotas are good equipment though if the dealer is decent.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

Oh, no. Not trade. Both like you did!
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

Oh, no. Not trade. Both like you did!

I’m an equipment junky with limited time. I maintain 200 acres 3 hours from home including 16 acres of food plots. I “needed” a backup equipment. Truth is, I can’t get my biggest tractor in some small plots on the mountain, and moving snow in windy well below zero temps “requires” a cab, as does bushhogging an area with hornets nests.... For what it’s worth, if I’d have listened to sage advice, I’d have started with a bigger cabbed model, saved money and wouldn’t have the additional equipment. We’d just bought the property and I couldn’t bring myself to buying more than the minimum tractor I perceived I needed. I was mistaken.... I’ve also found that older tractors are easier to maintain and can be equally reliable. They are also surprisingly efficient fuel consumption wise given the rpm range they operate in.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
I’ve always had good luck with Deere and have a great dealer. I was looking at moving up from a 3 series to a 4. Got in a cabbed Deere 4066r and then looked for a comparable Kubota. There isn’t a comparable Kubota to a 4066r.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
tag
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

I'm sure bobcat and kioti share some components. But they are 2 different tractors, although likely similar. There is more than paint color that's different. Much like LS is similar to new holland boomer series. But you don't get a "cheap boomer" by purchasing an LS. They are different.

Ok...

But your wrong.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
All I know is that Daves bobcat looks awesome. Love the white and trim.
If you plow snow, a block heater, and a Heathouser.

Ok...

But your wrong.

Dumbass.

Here. Don't say I didn't try to help...

When I get a new tractor, I'm going to store it at Rockinbbar's house. If it even gets one speck of sparrow chidt on it, he'll be out there with the windex! lol
Originally Posted by Rooster7
When I get a new tractor, I'm going to store it at Rockinbbar's house. If it even gets one speck of sparrow chidt on it, he'll be out there with the windex! lol

LOL...!

I try and keep all my equipment well serviced and clean.

But when you work them, they get dirty!

Especially in dusty conditions.

I'm willing to bet it was shining like a new penny before you put it away though! smile
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I'm willing to bet it was shining like a new penny before you put it away though! smile

I pressure wash them a couple times a year. I put LOTS of grease in those expensive CV joints, and it slings everywhere...

I also usually hand wax them a couple times a year because of the brush I have to drive through. It helps keep the scratches from gouging the pain so badly. grin
Yeah that brush could do some damage to paint quick, otherwise.
There was a young farm here they called,. "Clean Jeans". If he ever did get dirty, he went to the house, washed, and changed clothes. laugh
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

Ok...

But your wrong.

Dumbass.

Here. Don't say I didn't try to help...

There, they're, their. Thanks Rockinbbar. I've been wanting to do that for a long time!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20
There was a young farm here they called,. "Clean Jeans". If he ever did get dirty, he went to the house, washed, and changed clothes. laugh

You could accumulate 30,000 Internet forum posts like that .lol
Originally Posted by BobBrown

That's great.

Except you have twice as many posts per day as he does...

Pot/Kettle

That's great.

Pot/Kettle

I really should be publicly shaming my poor neighbor and accusing him of breaking game laws. I’d post less that way.lol

That's great.

Pot/Kettle

I really should be publicly shaming my poor neighbor and accusing him of breaking game laws. I’d post less that way.lol

There's no doubt my neighbor breaks game laws. He has a record of it according to the game warden.

How about you? What are your neighbors like? Where do you live?

Why don't you ever post pics of hunting, shooting, or fishing? Lord knows you have ample opportunity here with 17 posts per day....

Oh. I know. You're just here to troll. Right troll? whistle

You ought to respect your betters.

Ok...

But your wrong.

You are proposing that they use different paint and stickers, no more?

That's great.

Pot/Kettle

There's no doubt my neighbor breaks game laws. He has a record of it according to the game warden.

How about you? What are your neighbors like? Where do you live?

Why don't you ever post pics of hunting, shooting, or fishing? Lord knows you have ample opportunity here with 17 posts per day....

Oh. I know. You're just here to troll. Right troll? whistle

You ought to respect your betters.

That’s right. I’m less of a member because I do not post like you. 10-4

No. You are less of a member for following decent people around pulling your troll ankle biter routine.

Better watch out. I've seen ankle biters get kicked in the teeth while doing so... smile

No. You are less of a member for following decent people around pulling your troll ankle biter routine.

Better watch out. I've seen ankle biters get kicked in the teeth while doing so... smile

I’ve never been a follower of anyone in my whole life.

Please keep us all up to date with your crying about your neighbor routine though.

Please keep us all up to date with your crying about your neighbor routine though.

There ya go.

Lying again. Wasn't crying. But was and am mad about deer being killed and wasted in an ongoing escapade.

If that doesn't make you mad, then you aren't much of a sportsman, or conservationist are you?

More like poaching scum. Which is it?
Posted By: tzone Re: Compact tractors - 10/29/20

No, Dumbass...

grin grin
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Compact tractors - 10/30/20

There ya go.

Lying again. Wasn't crying. But was and am mad about deer being killed and wasted in an ongoing escapade.

If that doesn't make you mad, then you aren't much of a sportsman, or conservationist are you?

A real man would handle his neighborhood beefs and not post it online. Tell yourself whatever you like.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Compact tractors - 10/30/20

There ya go.

A real man would handle his neighborhood beefs and not post it online. Tell yourself whatever you like.

Real men hide behind sock puppets!
Posted By: coobie Re: Compact tractors - 10/30/20
I have a 2012 Kioti DK40 se cab tractor HST tranny front end loader with 400 flawless hours.As mentioned dealer support is important as your purchase.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Compact tractors - 10/30/20

There ya go.

Real men hide behind sock puppets!

Sorry, not debating a man who wears spandex outfits. I have standards.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Compact tractors - 10/30/20
I finally found a pic of my old tractor. I did the reese hitch thing to the front like JackRyan did too. Used it to mostly push boats and trailers around the yard.

I regret getting rid of it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_0095 by .com/photos/canvasbackdrake/]JHC, on [bleep]
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Compact tractors - 11/01/20
I got my tractor out today to sweep leaves around the house. Normally use the lawn mower to pull this but I used my "tow" bar across the 3pt hitch and pulled the sweeper AND the wagon at once and when the sweeper was full just move the leaves in to the wagon. Pick up 5 times as many leaves for every trip to go dump them. Wish I'd tried this ten years ago, that mower sure would have lasted a lot longer. I can pull both these with the tractor just idling.

[img]https://www.gunandgame.com/attachments/leaf-wagon-84-b-jpg.154426/[/img]

Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Compact tractors - 11/04/20
OK...drove a Yanmar 424 and Kubota 2601. Both dealers are close to me and very well rated. I liked both, prefer the kubota because it's a class 1, 3 point hitch and I liked the tilt steering.

Started the 0% financing paperwork on the 2601 with a bucket, box blade, and 3 point trailer hitch. And, the dealer is going to weld a reese hitch to the bucket for me. I can weld it to hold...but my weld will look like a dirt dobber mated with some bubble gum. I should pick up the orange mini-beast before the weekend.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Compact tractors - 11/04/20
OK...drove a Yanmar 424 and Kubota 2601. Both dealers are close to me and very well rated. I liked both, prefer the kubota because it's a class 1, 3 point hitch and I liked the tilt steering.

Started the 0% financing paperwork on the 2601 with a bucket, box blade, and 3 point trailer hitch. And, the dealer is going to weld a reese hitch to the bucket for me. I can weld it to hold...but my weld will look like a dirt dobber mated with some bubble gum. I should pick up the orange mini-beast before the weekend.

Congrat's to ya.
Did your Dealer have one in the yard or did they have to order you one.
When I purchased mine they had to order it and it took about 6 or so weeks to get it.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Compact tractors - 11/04/20
They had them in the yard. I drove both today. The tractor has a sold tag with my name on it while they weld up and get it ready for me. I can't wait, so excited.

I called the salesman and asked him to weld a reese hitch on the box blade too...might as well.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Compact tractors - 11/04/20

Say what ya want

My Kioti CK35 has been a good machine

Bought new in Oct '10 for $17K (ish) w/FEL & extras

45 hrs per year on the average....keep trickle charger on it

Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Compact tractors - 11/04/20
They had them in the yard. I drove both today. The tractor has a sold tag with my name on it while they weld up and get it ready for me. I can't wait, so excited.

I called the salesman and asked him to weld a reese hitch on the box blade too...might as well.

I think you made a good choice with the Kubota over the Yanmar.

Enjoy! Be safe.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20

Say what ya want

I had one and it was a great machine... the only “repair” was a bad o ring in the control valve!! It was the house machine and only got about 50-60hrs a year or so, and never missed a beat. Like all my machines it was replaced for something bigger.... and the 4066r I got to replace it is actually too big for its purpose and I somewhat regret the upgrade because of it.

Thats a very good machine you have, and in its class, at the time (not sure of current 30-35hp specs) was the best spec wise of all the machines. I was very impressed. That FEL is a beast for the hp size.

I didnt buy a Kioti this last time due to dealers being far away, and I have two competing JD chains on either side of me.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20

Say what ya want

Chain hooks should be standard equipment on frontend buckets. I had to add mine to my JD, yours factory or did you add them. Looks good. If you did it, you're a little better welder than I am. I'm a guerilla welder, ugly but strong. Well, kind of strong.
Posted By: mart Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20
Here’s a couple pics of my Branson 3725. I’ve been very happy with it. I bought mostly for the sawmill but find I’m using it a lot more than expected.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

I built a 1500 pound counterweight for the three point hitch to make picking up logs and stacks of lumber a bit easier.

Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20
Originally Posted by mart
Here’s a couple pics of my Branson 3725. I’ve been very happy with it. I bought mostly for the sawmill but find I’m using it a lot more than expected.

I built a 1500 pound counterweight for the three point hitch to make picking up logs and stacks of lumber a bit easier.

Good looking rig. That weight should do the trick.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20
Way to go.

You will like it.
Posted By: mart Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20
The weight makes a huge difference. The tractor has plenty of lifting capacity but even though it’s one of the heaviest in its class, it makes moving big logs to the mill easier
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Say what ya want

Chain hooks should be standard equipment on frontend buckets. I had to add mine to my JD, yours factory or did you add them. Looks good. If you did it, you're a little better welder than I am. I'm a guerilla welder, ugly but strong. Well, kind of strong.

I have a welder bud...of nearly 40 yrs

He works cheap....Busch Beer & cash on the side........

In fact we drank a few beers in my garage this afternoon....

I supplied the Bud Lite

He is a helluva welder/fabricator....

Builds smokers too.....ribs smokin' at the farm

This was built all with used parts....except..tires/axle/thermometer

Posted By: Robb10238 Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20
I researched and then bought the Kubota B3030 years ago and it has been bullet proof.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20

oh yea

spare tire carrier for my Kawi SxS too

Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Compact tractors - 11/05/20
That's some awesome welding! A great lifeskill to have...I really like the idea of the chain hooks on the bucket.

Thanks for sharing the kioti and branson pics - nice rigs.
© 24hourcampfire