Home
Posted By: Calvin Midway USA— The New Cabelas? - 11/03/20
Has midway USA become “cabelas done right”?

They carry about everything now. Free shipping.
Really expanded their offerings over the last few years.
I don't see them opening retail stores like Cabelas.
I had the pleasure of speaking with Mary Cabela at a function a couple of years ago. She was heartsick at what had happened to their brand name after the merger. Hopefully, Larry Potterfield can pick up the gauntlet and run with it.
It’s crazy. Was just looking at garmin chart plotters, on midway.

Great sales too. My first stop anymore for optics and reloading.
Originally Posted by Jim1611

They would be better not too.
I have bought something from them about every 3 weeks for several months now. My last was a Vortex scope and some taps. They remember my birthday every year and give me a nice discount on what ever I buy. It's gotten too easy.

kwg
Mountain House is 25% off btw.
Midway is building a new facility right now. Will dwarf the old one by a mile. Luckily it’s 5 minutes from my brother’s place. I have him go pick up my orders.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I had the pleasure of speaking with Mary Cabela at a function a couple of years ago. She was heartsick at what had happened to their brand name after the merger. Hopefully, Larry Potterfield can pick up the gauntlet and run with it.

Dick and Mary were nice people and AVID hunters and world adventurers. They were in camp ahead or behind me a few times in RSA or Cameroon.

J- I know you've spoken with Larry Potterfield several times. I know there are those here that hammer him on shipping costs, but I thank him for keeping many of us shooting.

He had an interesting story about trying to keep that Fajen and Bishop brands alive after they failed.

as Mary pocketed the money
I buy from Midway USA pretty regularly.
I’d say their business model finally caught up to the times...they’ll only get bigger.
Been ordering from them for over 8 years, never a complaint.
I sure hope Midway does not build stores. Too much overhead that has to be passed on in prices. I buy from midway half dozen times per year, and mostly on sale/discounted stuff.
Originally Posted by 16bore
I’d say their business model finally caught up to the times...they’ll only get bigger.

Rather spend my money with potterfield than bezos.
Potterfield has it down. No reason to have retail locations when you can ship correctly. People bitch about shopping costs but most of the time they don’t know what shipping actually costs. It’s not just what the usps or fedex charges, but packaging, time, printing, labeling, and handling. Done correctly it’s not cheap, nor is it easy. We (mainly my wife) box and ship 5-50 orders a day and sometimes that’s all she gets done. We spend A LOT of money on shipping and packaging so I can only imagine what a place like that would be.

Currently, and probably forever more, I’m in the fugg Cabelas crowd. I didn’t like Bass Pro and then they ruined Cabelas. I don’t bother with either now. Scheels is about the only big box outdoor retailer I’ll go in now.

Brick and mortar is great for locals, but Amazon has ruined most of that. I see people in our store checking prices against Amazon, and that’s fine, because they’re almost always the same or cheaper. What chaps my ass is when you hear them say that they’ll just throw it on their order with the other crap they need and get it all delivered. God forbid that you have to actually carry something to the front, or let us do that for you, and support a small business that pays taxes to your town and donates to your kids.

Sorry, I wondered off onto my soapbox, but it’s just a fact of life anymore. Carry on...
They got golf shorts and marshmallow circus peanuts?
My buying from MidwayUSA has picked up since they started to offer free shipping on $49+ purchases most mid-weeks. Prompt shipping; good order communication. What's not to like? Now, if only USPS would deliver my packages to my address instead of to the house of the same number on a different street! Happens frequently, and I get their stuff, too.
The Potterfields have been extremely generous with supporting youth shooting sports. Extremely generous. Check out MidwayUSAFoundation for details.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Rather spend my money with potterfield than bezos.

Can’t stand Amazon.

Shipping costs never really mattered much. 5 clicks and it’s on its way....not driving around 1/2 a day is worth every penny.
Midway and a host of others have been good to me since the early nineties. Was mail or phone order back then, much simpler now. I was a Cabela’s fan too. Both before they had local retail stores and after. The merger ruined them. I don’t even bother stopping in or shopping them online.

I do still visit small local shops, both here and when traveling. Make some purchases while there but most of my shopping is online with Midway, Natchez, Reeds, etc..... .
I don't order much anymore. I still have over $500 in BassPro/Cabelas dollars.
I plan to use those up and cancel my credit card with them and get a card that just gives me cash back.

I have ordered occasionally from MidWay without any complaints at all.
I like the company and I like the image that he portrays in his commercials and the humor.

I will have to give it a second look. I stopped buying things from them a while back when their shipping was becoming more expensive than what I was buying.

You might be on to something there.
Posted By: g5m Re: Midway USA— The New Cabelas? - 11/03/20
I've used Midway since they started with selling unusual ammo, like Nambu pistol ammo. I don't know how long ago that was. Good outfit.
there shipping has been really fast as of late....2-3 days for virginia delivery

No need to open stores.

Why pay mark up for deer and elk mounts and waterfalls?

Keep the prices reasonable and ship it fast.

It’s ammo and shooting supplies.

Not medical supplies.

3-4 days to get it is fine for me.

Never noticed their shipping to be overpriced? Most of the time it’s free and I’ll have stuff at my door within a couple of days. That’s impressive for Alaska.

Free shipping.

Their shipping is NOT always free. It's free when they advertise it as such, or if an item "qualifies". Nearly every time I get their email advertising "free" shipping, my items don't qualify, or i get a message that the free shipping promo had just ended prior to my adding the items to my account. I use Midway as a yardstick for pricing, but only as a retailer of last resort.

Kaiser Norton

I am one of the ones that has complained about shipping costs from Midway.

Now they are more competitive with their shipping prices and have gotten to be one of
the best for quick shipping.
I would rather pay $10 shipping than $10 on gas and time to drive to the nearest shooting supplies establishment in hopes they have what I am looking for at an inflated price.
This has been my go to place to shop for most everything I need for hunting, shooting and reloading. Purchased lots of scopes this year and gear for this year’s western elk hunt. Everything has been described and shipped fast. One of the best places to shop. I have stated that if I’m going to spend my money, I would give it to Larry and Co.

I’m hesitant to add up all the money I’ve sent them.
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

You must be a statist. WTF is wrong with 'pocketing the money"? the company was bought out in pretty much a hostile buyout when they went public. This is over your head stuff....
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
I would rather pay $10 shipping than $10 on gas and time to drive to the nearest shooting supplies establishment in hopes they have what I am looking for at an inflated price.

Especially if you gotta carve out time to even use the stuff.

Only downfall is the bag of peanuts and a Coke for the ride home. 🤣
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter

Brick and mortar is great for locals, but Amazon has ruined most of that. I see people in our store checking prices against Amazon, and that’s fine, because they’re almost always the same or cheaper. What chaps my ass is when you hear them say that they’ll just throw it on their order with the other crap they need and get it all delivered. God forbid that you have to actually carry something to the front, or let us do that for you, and support a small business that pays taxes to your town and donates to your kids.

Sorry, I wondered off onto my soapbox, but it’s just a fact of life anymore. Carry on...

Tried to so that yesterday. Local eye center. I need new "sunglasses". In quotes because for the last 20 years or so I've been wearing safety rated ones. Last 10 it's been prescription, bi-focal, polarized ones. That way if I needed to grab a power tool, go shooting, etc I don't have to take off the sunglasses, put on the regular glasses, grab a pair of safety goggles, etc. They were pretty much required anywhere on the last project I worked, so why not just take care of it all. Tried to order the ones I've had for years this summer, no longer being made. mad

Local place told me they don't carry safety glasses. When I'm up in the big town today for a Dr appointment, I'll just have to look up there. And if no success, online it will be.

Supporting local business is a great idea when feasible. I called every auto parts place within an hours drive once, trying to get a good price for some air bags for the truck. Closest one could only get down to $80 more than the online price. Others were as much as $150 more. Hard to shop "local" at those prices.

Not sure what kind of business you're in, but if I lived there I'd try to support you instead of Amazon etc. But there comes a point when financially it gets difficult.

You must be a statist. WTF is wrong with 'pocketing the money"? the company was bought out in pretty much a hostile buyout when they went public. This is over your head stuff....

Best to just not read "his" posts Jorge.
Re: Midway USA.

I just wish Larry would send me a paper catalog for the "little room".

Sometimes while doing my morning reading I would find something in there I "needed". grin
That new clothing line they have is nice. I've been wearing it since it came out constantly for 4 or so years now. Holding up well, not fading. Usually always on sale. Is made in china though...
They have come a long way.
Being the geezer I am I remember buying reloading supplies from Midway when they sold out of a pulp paper catalog and everything shipped free.
This was back when Moses was my shooting partner....... grin

BassPro ain't no Cabela's. That's for sure.
I think Midway has one of the easiest to navigate and most user friendly websites as well. I like how simple it is to filter stuff down to what you're looking for in a particular category. Like reloading bullets for instance, you can filter by caliber and weight. A lot of websites aren't set up like that.

I am talking about her complaining because the name was soiled WHILE she made a ton of money. she allowed the jews to buy into Cabelas and force the sale. one day I can only hope to be as smart as you. BTW how many govt checks you getting Mr anti-statist?
not been a fan of midway, The only thing I use them for is to view product lines. the prices there aint all that great. they really soured my mood when they got rid of the FFL discount program
I can only hope to be as smart as you.

You don't want much, do you....good luck.
I remember when everything at Midway was free shipping also, I used to order a lot from them in those days. The shipping was built into the price and while things were a little more expensive you usually came out better with the free shipping. They eventually started charging shipping but didn’t reduce their prices from the “built in shipping” prices, I pretty much stopped using them then as it was very rare I couldn’t order cheaper from most of their competitors. I’m sure Larry pocketed a bundle from that. When I order something I put everything in the cart then see how much everything ends up after shipping and tax, that’s the one I order from. I don’t care if they call it shipping charges, tax, profits, or unicorn fart fees, whichever one comes to the least amount of money gets the order. If they’re back to being competitively priced I’ll probably start using them more.

They need to stick to mail order, no retail stores. Building all the fancy stores ruined cabelas, the overhead costs are too much. They should have stuck with one store in Sidney NE and never built the others. Of course BPS was what ultimately destroyed them but they were sucking before that.
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I think Midway has one of the easiest to navigate and most user friendly websites as well. I like how simple it is to filter stuff down to what you're looking for in a particular category. Like reloading bullets for instance, you can filter by caliber and weight. A lot of websites aren't set up like that.

Without question most user friendly.
I buy regularly from them when they have free shipping over $49.
Their site is easy to navigate which is nice since I'm not computer literate.
Gawd I hate having to buy anything from BPS/Cabelas. Didn't mind Cabelas before Johnny Morris bought them out.
Posted By: las Re: Midway USA— The New Cabelas? - 11/03/20
I have a $25 Cabels gift card I need to burn, probably on the 6th when we go to Anc. Maybe a box of 30-30 plastic tip ammo. I infrequently order stuff for hunting, etc. on line, preferring to have it in my grubby little paws so I know what I'm getting - and buying locally.

Midway has always been good to me.

That said, yesterday I dropped about $800, combined, on line for toy parts in one place, and trailerable covers ( 3 snowmachines, 2 ATV) in another. The parts are OEM, not in stock locally, and cheaper, so I'm not worried about those.

This retirement stuff is expensive- used to drive toys just from the house. Now my wife isn't happy unless we are driving the toys 50 - 600 miles to use them. It took darned near 7 hours researching on the computer, so it's a good thing I work cheap..... smile

The covers are another matter - we will see. Hard to find locally at those prices, assuming comparable quality.( the big ? ) - there was a 50% off sale going on, with an extra 10% Halloween sale. Could not resist. If they don't fit is a PITA, which is another reason I like to buy local. The on-line covers had a higher original price quote than the local snowmachine shop, so I am hopeful the quality is as good or better- tho I haven't been in to look at the local, yet. But I could get the ATV covers at the same time same place, on line.

I hate gambling with money.....
I wish Midway offered a credit card the way Cabelas does. I'd burn my Cabelas points in a minute and switch!
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I wish Midway offered a credit card the way Cabelas does. I'd burn my Cabelas points in a minute and switch!

I bet it won’t be long. They could be the “Amazon” of real men toys.

I'd get behind that card.

Midway is my go to for most items. Free shipping, or not, I just buy it. For [bleep] sake, shipping is usually less than $10 bucks.

I pay for the convenience, the great easy to navigate website, fast shipping and support a true sportsman who supports shooting sports. If it costs a few bucks more, good, so be it.
I don't mind giving Midway my money. I got really tired of both BassPro and Cabelas-- wrong vibe. Midway has been on my short list for over a decade-- never had a problem.

Cabelas? I remember back when I first started getting their catalog. It had EVERYTHING. That was about the time Bud Grant was splashed all over the pages. Most of my post-College gear came from them-- hunting, camping, etc. Then they got rid of the good selection and it all went to hell.

There is a Bass-Pro, a Cabelas, and a Fin and Feather fairly close. I maybe go once a year if I get short on powder. It's been almost all mailorder for over the past decade.
My Go To vendor is Larry Potterfield
Yesterday I was going to get an order for bullets and cam checkout time it was $13 shipping on $130 order. I know last week it was free over $49. Emptied the cart and will wait.

They shouldnt
Anyone know how many messages you need to be able to private message someone?
I will never buy from putterfield!
Originally Posted by Scrat133
Anyone know how many messages you need to be able to private message someone?

Been awhile but 32 post comes to mind
Looked at Midway after seeing this thread... y'all cost me $300! Hard to pass up 50%+ savings. Looks like a new go to.

First time I've ever used the site - easy navigation and simple to use. Was a long time Cabela's guy - highly disappointed what it has become. As a long time Cabela's black card holder, hope Larry does come out with a credit card; will gladly switch!

Shipping was expensive ($13), but cheaper than gas or than what I'd charge. Plus it will be here tomorrow. It shipped within an hour of placing the order. Well worth the $13!
Originally Posted by las
I have a $25 Cabels gift card I need to burn, probably on the 6th when we go to Anc. Maybe a box of 30-30 plastic tip ammo.

Good luck with that gift card. I was in my local BassPro two weeks ago to buy some shirts. There was no 30-30 ammo on the shelves at all.
Brownell's for 40 years. Midway is OK too.
Midway has been good to me up here without problems. Cabelas recently bent me over a barrel on shipping (didnt send the quantity ordered and didnt notify me of the change). Barge fees are no joke and ended up paying $120 Hazmat/Barge fee for 600 primers.

Midway has a long ways to go before they catch up to the outdoor/hunting clothing Cabela's offered back in the day. That was the primary reason I bought from Cabela's--for a while I should'a owned stock. Yes, I know there are lots of "boutique" websites that offer high end hunting clothing--much of it over-priced for what it is-- but Cabela's offered quality, useful clothing at prices that were more reasonable.
Originally Posted by AKduck
Midway has been good to me up here without problems. Cabelas recently bent me over a barrel on shipping (didnt send the quantity ordered and didnt notify me of the change). Barge fees are no joke and ended up paying $120 Hazmat/Barge fee for 600 primers.

Hazmat barge fees are criminal. Was it a $120 minimum?
Best thing about Cabelas is the gun library....other than that, it’s a Dick’s.

Now they’ve screwed that and no longer ship between stores for $25.....
Originally Posted by skeen

I'd get behind that card.

Midway is my go to for most items. Free shipping, or not, I just buy it. For [bleep] sake, shipping is usually less than $10 bucks.

You don't live in Alaska, lol. Shipping is generally a bit more than that!
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Midway has a long ways to go before they catch up to the outdoor/hunting clothing Cabela's offered back in the day. That was the primary reason I bought from Cabela's--for a while I should'a owned stock. Yes, I know there are lots of "boutique" websites that offer high end hunting clothing--much of it over-priced for what it is-- but Cabela's offered quality, useful clothing at prices that were more reasonable.

I was just about to write the same thing. I bought most of my winter gear in the spring when it went on clearance. Never really realized how good it was until I realized I was still wearing it ,with minimal wear, ten years later. And you never see Bass Pro clothing for sale here in classifieds, but a lot of the good old Cabelas Brand stuff.
I was hoping when Brownells moved to the big retail store in Grinnell, they would get a bit more competitively priced with Midway, but they haven't.
© 24hourcampfire