Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/08/20
I used to buy these at Costco but they quit carrying them a year or so ago. I just found them on Amazon. They're dehydrated and will keep forever or longer. I keep a few ctns in the camper. They can be reconstituted in a few minutes and taste great, especially with bacon and eggs. One thing though - the 4.2 oz ctns say 7 servings. For a midget on a diet maybe. If you're hungry at all, a ctn is 2, or no more than 3 servings.

HASHBROWNS

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/08/20
They're okay. I like the frozen ones better. Still better are just freshly sliced potatoes, fried in bacon grease, with onions and garlic.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/08/20
But these will keep indefinitely without refrigeration. A couple boxes stuck in with your hunting stuff can be very handy sometime.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/08/20
Thanks!!!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/08/20
Mice would love them
Posted By: deflave Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/08/20
Those style potatoes are great.

Fill the carton with water and avoid cooking altogether.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/08/20
the idaho spuds people do some great stuff with boxed tators. their mashed mix is my go-to around the house. i also use it for big dinners for the legion, church, etc. hard to tell the diff. these hashbrowns look like something i would like. figures you can't buy it local anymore. i may order a case for camp. lot easier than grinding potatoes, onions, etc, etc.
Those work for sure!
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
I have used a similar product sold by Sysco. Six big cartons in a box. Friend who had a restaurant ordered them for me.
Now I buy the ones from "Simply Potatoes". Not dried however.
I have tried several ways of making hashbrowns from raw potatoes. I just am never really satisfied with the results however.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Big effin box

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
I just bought more at Costco the other day. I've also picked them up at Cal Ranch stores too.

Bb
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I just bought more at Costco the other day. I've also picked them up at Cal Ranch stores too.

Bb

The Costco in Twin? Where do they have them. I've been all through there looking for them.
Key to making your own at home is using Russet Burbank potatoes don't use the early variety Norkotas. Some people use left over baked potatoes around here to grate for hash browns. I like country style and my mom showed me years ago how to make them perfect from raw potatoes.

You dice raw burbanks into about 1 cm cubes. Put them in a frying pan that has heated olive olive oil in it. Sprinkle with a bit of lawreys season salt and fresh ground back pepper. Put the lid on and fry them for several minutes with the lid on. Leave them alone and leave the lid on until the downside browns. Then flip them and add a bit more olive oil or bacon drippings from the bacon you're frying on the griddle. Put the lid back on until that side browns up. Then take the lid off and stir them all a few times while you finish browning them all around and crisp them up.

Making them from raw spuds requires frying with the lid on for a while first so they steam and cook through.

Bb
Posted By: K1500 Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Yep, they are great. My household prefers them to the frozen kind, although we get Hungry Jack brand here.
I bought them at the new Costco in Idaho Falls. I used to get them at the Pocatello one too. If Twin doesn't have them I can pick some up for you and bring them down next time I go see my parents in Burley. They aren't very expensive there.

Bb
Posted By: EdM Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
The complexities of cooking a potato...
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
I
just found them on Amazon

Free shipping?
Posted By: kingston Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by EdM
The complexities of cooking a potato...

LOL
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Anyone ever tried shredding and dehydrating their own?

I grew close to 40 lbs of taters this year, wife and I figured on running some through the shredder attachment on the mixer and freezing them, but dehydrating sounds like a longer lasting idea.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I bought them at the new Costco in Idaho Falls. I used to get them at the Pocatello one too. If Twin doesn't have them I can pick some up for you and bring them down next time I go see my parents in Burley. They aren't very expensive there.

Bb
Thanks for the offer but the gas to get them to me would be much more than the difference in price between Costco and Amazon.
Posted By: EdM Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Tough stuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Most of us here in Idaho don't grow our own potatoes. I just went to the local packing shed and bought another 50 pound 60 count box for $10. I also live about 10 miles from the Idahoan dehydrating plant so I can get dehydrated stuff really cheap if I want it. I sometimes get dehydrated potato pearls i think they are called because they store long term better. I haven't had to actually eat any yet.

My family likes the hash browns this thread is about but the boxes are usually marked best by for only about 1 year. If they stored longer I'd by a bunch. They are light weight and easy. We used to take them when we packed into places.

Bb
Yeah, around here very few people grow white potatoes. They're just so darn cheap in the stores that it's not worth the effort. Quite a few grow reds and golds, though. They aren't grown commercially in any quantities here.
Posted By: KC Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20

Rocky:

I've tried some dehydrated hashbrowns that I bought at the local grocery store. The instructions say that you should rehydrate them in the box, then fry them in olive oil. They're not on my list of backpacking foods because you have to have some olive oil for your frying pan. They're not on my list of car camping foods because it takes too long to cook them properly. Do You have solutions?

KC
I rehydrate these in the box or in a big cup if I'm only doing a partial box. Just use enough water to cover them and maybe 1/4" more. You don't necessarily need olive oil, just something to keep them from sticking. I use a non-stick pan with spray oil or anything else that keeps them from sticking. For car camping cast iron works great. My favorite is a Coleman non-stick steel griddle that can handle the spuds, bacon, eggs, etc all at the same time. They do take a little time because you have to boil water to rehydrate them, soak them for about 10 min, then fry them. It adds up. For breakfast, though, I start the water to boil when I 1st get up. By the time I'm peed, dressed and have the coffee going, they're ready to fry.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Those are a staple in our motorhome.

Easy in camp. Lightweight when we hike from camp for a few days.

Cheap.

Winner, winner, potato dinner!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Love that woodstove ED !!
Posted By: SeanD Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Just picked up a pack in my local Costco, hadn’t seen them for a while.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
When I want hash browns I just toss in a handful of tater tots. Brown them and smash them.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by EdM
Tough stuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Love that stove.

😎

I have my grandparents’ Majestic stove in my shop. I need to put it back together and enjoy it.
Originally Posted by MM879
When I want hash browns I just toss in a handful of tater tots. Brown them and smash them.
Dehydrated tater tots? All I've seen is frozen. The idea of these hashbrowns is to have them on hand when you need them with no refrigeration needed.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/09/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by MM879
Dehydrated tater tots? All I've seen is frozen. The idea of these hashbrowns is to have them on hand when you need them with no refrigeration needed.

When I'm ruffing it I'm in a RV with fridg and A/C.
Posted By: Cross Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/10/20
The dehydrated spuds are great for pack trips where weight and refrigeration are big deals. I prefer frozen or fresh but when you’ve eaten your 19th mountain house and kill a grouse or two, some of these dehydrated spuds and fried grouse and gravy is absolutely awesome.

1 out of 1 me’s highly recommend them!

Cross
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/10/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I used to buy these at Costco but they quit carrying them a year or so ago. I just found them on Amazon. They're dehydrated and will keep forever or longer. I keep a few ctns in the camper. They can be reconstituted in a few minutes and taste great, especially with bacon and eggs. One thing though - the 4.2 oz ctns say 7 servings. For a midget on a diet maybe. If you're hungry at all, a ctn is 2, or no more than 3 servings.

HASHBROWNS

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Saw some on Costco tonight. got them based on this thread.

will try them in the am.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/10/20
Dehydrated isnt as good as fresh or frozen but they're plenty good on a camp trip.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/10/20
We keep a couple of cases on hand at all times Rock Chuck. We always have a big breakfast when the grandkids are here and they love them as do I. I’ve found that really hot water and letting them rehydrate longer than they say is the best way to prepare them.
I use boiling water.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/10/20
I got both size cartons at cost co. Add hot water to the little ones filled all the way and in the morning ...drain if needed..fry them ...AS far as the use by date on the carton >the taters dont know they are 2 years out a date.......just saying...what are they going to do ? Dry out ? Lol
On many foods, the 'use by' date is only there because the feds say they have to have one. It's meaningless.
Posted By: OldHat Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/10/20
Tots are the best field food. The problem is your hunting buddies ... mad

Posted By: wildfowl Re: Hashbrowns for hunting - 11/10/20
They sometimes run them on sale 10 for $10 and we stock up. Great to use in duck blind breakfasts. Pound of pork sausage first, then pour these in. Plenty of grease and no need for oil, etc. More than enough for 3 guys and the dog
© 24hourcampfire