Home
Posted By: ledvm Best inflatable camp mattress - 11/12/20
This is not for backpacking so weight is not really an issue.

Looking for a comfortable and durable air mattress I can put in my cowboy bedroll under my sleeping bag.

Any suggestions?
We get the single bed ones from walmart for the grandsons.

They have lasted for about 3 years and they are tough on them.
I don't want to get flamed but REI has a great one for about 130.00 mine is going on 9 years without a hitch. It's a self inflate with some foam in it also.
If you live where trees are plentiful, the right hammock can beat even a matress for comfort. It might not be what you are looking for, but I'm considering replacing my bed with one at home. My left shoulder is still injured/sore from the pressure. My hammock offers support but less issues with the shoulder.
Just throwing that out in case you haven't thought about it.
Posted By: DBT Re: Best inflatable camp mattress - 11/12/20
Are hammocks any good for side sleepers? I imagine they'd be backbreaking.
The Best one is the back up for the night when the one you are using deflates.

Probably more important is the battery powered inflator.
Probably SAcharlie or Eric308.
After much research for the same I landed on the Expeditor MegMat 10. Couldn't be happier.
Posted By: atse Re: Best inflatable camp mattress - 11/12/20
I have spent 10 nights so far this fall sleeping on a bed of pine boughs in my tipi. ANY air mattress would be an improvement!!
Originally Posted by ledvm
This is not for backpacking so weight is not really an issue.

Looking for a comfortable and durable air mattress I can put in my cowboy bedroll under my sleeping bag.

Any suggestions?

Mary Lou Cooper. She was always soft and warm.
I have a Paco Pad, all the rafters use em. Made by Jack's plastic welding in New Mexico , I think. Anyhoo, easy to repair, mine is almost 20 years old and has never leaked. They are made out of heavy duty vinyl raft material, 1100 desitex maybe. I have also had an eye on those Canvas Cutter bags, its a heavy duty duck canvas sleeping system, the heavy thick foam pad comes with em.
Around here, you want a good insulated one, the higher the R value the better. That or you can put a nice thick ensolite pad on top of it.
I like the self-inflating Thermarest.
Originally Posted by DBT

I'm a side sleeper.

If you set them up wrong it can be. Most people set them up too tight and lie in them like a banana. There's lots of videos and a forum on how to get everything just right.
For instance, you lie with your head to one side diagonally to get a flat lay. The tension, length and width of the hammock has to be right for each individual. Once those are dialed in, I ve not found a more comfortable sleep.
exped mega

https://www.backcountry.com/exped-m...dHM6c2xlZXAgcGFkczoxOjM6c2xlZXAgcGFkcw==
Ribka your avator creeps me out... lol
T rest .....close the thread.
I’ve given up on the Coleman and similar cheapos, they always spring leaks. Bought roll a cots for the family this year. Way better no leaks and I think they are more comfortable.

Funny thing though I’ve never popped my backpacking pads (exped) although I don’t get the same use out if. I’d skip the cheapies and buy a heavy duty (heavier) backpacking name brand pad if a roll a cot wasn’t an option. My hunting buddy loves his Klymit brand pad and he uses it a lot. Heavier than my exped but might be more durable.
Posted By: RicG Re: Best inflatable camp mattress - 11/12/20
Another Exped Mega fan.
I love my Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe. I use their V Sheet and large pillow with it.
Last month I spent a week in Voyageurs NP sleeping on rock with temps in the teens at night. I'm a side sleeper and it is extremity comfortable and warm.
http://www.exped.com/usa/en/tags/sleeping-mats

Thank you kindly gents! I decided to try the Paco Pad. Couple of others here look try worthy as well.
Exped outfitter is the heaviest duty I can find
Originally Posted by ledvm
Thank you kindly gents! I decided to try the Paco Pad. Couple of others here look try worthy as well.

Paco pad is good gear. don't be afraid to go thick and wide.

the silverback used to be the biggest model, haven't bought a new Paco in a while. (have 5)

I have a couple of custom 2"thick, 24" wide that fit between wheel wells of pickup bed.
I used to use thermarest, had no complaints for my backpacking pad years ago. I switched to Paco after a few trips down the Grand Canyon with some buddies on a private trip. Hunting camp, camping, sleeping in the truck bed, can't beat a Paco pad. I do use a ground tarp with em though as with all my gear. Saves on wear and tear. I keep one of those OD green heavy duty canvas tarps in stash or truck box.
Thermarest neoair XL.

Weight sucks. Sleep is great.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by DBT

I'm a side sleeper.

If you set them up wrong it can be. Most people set them up too tight and lie in them like a banana. There's lots of videos and a forum on how to get everything just right.
For instance, you lie with your head to one side diagonally to get a flat lay. The tension, length and width of the hammock has to be right for each individual. Once those are dialed in, I ve not found a more comfortable sleep.

I tried. For YEARS I tried to camp with a hammock. Several different ones. Just kept getting worse and worse. Finally, I decided to just quit, and I will never even think about getting in another hammock again. Oh, they're comfortable for "lounging".. but for me, uncomfortable, and downright painful for sleeping...or should I say, trying to sleep. NOT good for sleeping on my side. They scrunch my shoulders, and press down on the top of my head. No matter what I do. A "flat lay" is impossible for me (yes).

Of course, If I mention this to a hammock true believer, they are sure I'm just doing something wrong, and if only I try this other hammock, or that other hammock, and spend hundreds more dollars, that eventually I MUST find nocturnal bliss like they do.... They proselytize hammocking with a religious zeal, and cannot comprehend that it just doesn't work for everyone.

By all means, try one. It may work for you, but it may not.

I finally got a lightweight camping/hiking cot. Not nearly as light as a hammock, of course (it's about 4 1/2 pounds), but I can sleep on that sucker! SOOOOO much better. You couldn't put a gun to my head and make me get in a hammock again.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a rant!
© 24hourcampfire