Home
Posted By: Hubert Raccones - 11/14/20
I killed the biggest coon I ever saw , He filled a 5 gal bucket,, and smelled of Skunk.. I think he killed a skunk and ate it.. he has been eating my chickens and their EGGS,,, but no more I shot him in the head with my ruger single six.. it was loaded with shorts. when he looked at me I shot him in the brain at about 20 yards. and it was a done deal... I love that pistol. It has a 9 1/2 inch barrel, I bought it to squirrel hunt and thats what I practiced for... I find it hard to believe I can shoot it that well... I also can throw a can up in the air and hit it about 50% of the time.. I have killed 32 groundhogs the last two months with it..I use magnum shells for ground hogs.. but have killed about 20% with shorts if they are close... sorry I am excited that is the first coon I have killed in a long time...and the biggest I wish I had weighed him...
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
Excellent carnage. đź‘Ť
Posted By: Torqued Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
Skin it out and egg tan the hide since you're not sharing eggs with him any longer
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
Coon-gratulations!
Posted By: benchman Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
Cool! Just got a single six. 6 1/2" barrel. Seems to shoot nice!
Posted By: deflave Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
Hubert,

I have the same gun and it is exceptionally accurate. Especially with the mag cylinder.

Lots to be said for that sight radius.

Congrats on the coon.

Posted By: Reba Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
When I was a kid there was a tale about a 45 pound raccoon. I have always wanted to see a 45 pound.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
Have owned 2 single sixes, also a single 9 (.22 mag only). Wish I'd have kept them
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
Ya' know what renegade is going to say..................
Posted By: slumlord Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
I caught one in a live trap about as big as you describe. My dogs were trying to snatch its hair out through the cage wire.

I had to spray water up my female lab’s nostrils to get her to quit going full retard long enough for me to move the trap.

It had been eating sweet corn.

Posted By: Clarkm Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
I have killed, sexed, and weighed over 3 dozen coons.

Lots of 19.5 pound females, but I never got one of those big males I see crossing the road near a creek in the spring.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Raccones - 11/14/20

I 17M2 everyone I see.......
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
Congrats. I finally began squirrel hunting with my Single Six this fall. First time for me handgun squirrel hunting. Missed two shots at one about 35 yds. away with the 22LR cylinder in it. Shoulda had the Mag. cylinder that day. Squirrel is open until the end of Feb. here so I'm gonna practice. This area is crawling with racoons but I'd have to spotlight 'em at night. Trail cam pix are loaded with racoon pix in the wee hours. Once in a while I see one at dawn or dusk.
Posted By: hanco Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
You can’t kill too many of them
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Raccones - 11/14/20
They are looser mangers
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
If you think you can kill raccoons and end the problems in your garden or chicken coop, think again. A new coon will be there next week. The solution that works for me is electric fencing. May a dog or something else will work for you. But wherever I lived, the supply of coons never ended.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by Reba
When I was a kid there was a tale about a 45 pound raccoon. I have always wanted to see a 45 pound.

If I come across a 45 lb coon I'm running away screaming like a girl.
Posted By: Skunkman Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
I trap Raccoons for a living, a couple hundred a year we usually handle. In almost 50 years or trapping, I have weighed a bunch of them just out of curiosity as to what they weighed. About 10 years back we caught two big males at a pond that were killing geese. On an accurate digital scale one weighed 37 and the other was 38 pounds. Those were the two largest I have encountered.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by Clarkm
If you think you can kill raccoons and end the problems in your garden or chicken coop, think again. A new coon will be there next week. The solution that works for me is electric fencing. May a dog or something else will work for you. But wherever I lived, the supply of coons never ended.

Yup, I trap and kill around 50 each year on the farm. For a time I thought I would be reducing the population. After a while I realized it was like trying to empty a pond with a bucket. I still do it though.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Hubert,

I have the same gun and it is exceptionally accurate. Especially with the mag cylinder.

Lots to be said for that sight radius.

Congrats on the coon.

+1

A big sight radius counts for a lot.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Maybe some guys like shooting coons enough to use a chicken coop as bait. If you manage to get some eggs now and then, it's a bonus. wink
Posted By: hookeye Re: Raccones - 11/15/20

Back in HS a classmate got one near the apartment complex along the river ( dumpster raider ). Caught in a 220 conibear.

50#.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
The coons in my deer woods aint big, 15-20# tops.

Did see a monster yote smacked on the highway
Posted By: Reba Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
OK I had to look it up::::

The largest recorded wild raccoon weighed 28.4 kg (62.6 lb) and measured 140 cm (55 in) in total length, by far the largest size recorded for a procyonid.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
OK I had to look it up::::

The largest recorded wild raccoon weighed 28.4 kg (62.6 lb) and measured 140 cm (55 in) in total length, by far the largest size recorded for a procyonid.

Where was that recorded Reba? Somewhere in the Northern Tier of states?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
If coons were people they would all be in jail. A coon has three thoughts when it encounters something new, can I eat this thing, can I screw this thing, can I chit on this thing? Little bastards!
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
A coon has three thoughts when it encounters something new, can I eat this thing, can I screw this thing, can I chit on this thing?

Sounds like the residents of Memphis
Posted By: Texson2 Re: Raccones - 11/15/20
If blacks were as smart as coon they’d rule the world . Just saying, ain’t no chance. A big boar coon is pretty damn mean. Hookeye, I agree with you 15lbs. ,20 lb coon is a monster. Hunted for coons my whole life. Bottomland coon is different from a ridge runner in the hills. Bottomland coon might run few hundred yds from the dogs . Savy ole ridge runner coon might run 5 miles or more. Started out hunting on foot and later hunted the hill runners on mules trainer to jump fences. Just my experience. I sure others are different. Happy Hunting
© 24hourcampfire