Home
Posted By: MuskegMan Only in Alaska - 11/16/20

Jet hits brown bear while landing in southeast Alaska

YAKUTAT, Alaska (AP) — Officials said an Alaska Airlines jetliner struck a brown bear while landing early Saturday evening, killing the animal and causing damage to the plane.

The Anchorage Daily News reports none of the passengers or crew members onboard the plane were injured during the accident at the Yakutat Airport in southeast Alaska.

Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities said the Boeing 737-700 killed the brown bear sow, but a cub thought to be about 2 years old was uninjured.

The left engine cowling of the jet was damaged and the plane remained in Yakutat on Sunday.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
To much excitement for this old flier.
Posted By: rte Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
That's not much damage. Where is the dead bear?

[Linked Image from cbsnews3.cbsistatic.com]
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
That's the wrong type of excitement.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by rte

I'm no airplane mechanic but I bet that plane gets about 2 weeks on the ground w/folks looking for damage. It's not the damage you can see that's the problem, it's the potential damage you can't see without a very careful look.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
That will buff right out.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
If it's brown, it's down.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by rte

Hahahaha
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by rte

I'm no airplane mechanic but I bet that plane gets about 2 weeks on the ground w/folks looking for damage. It's not the damage you can see that's the problem, it's the potential damage you can't see without a very careful look.

I would hope that they'd pull the engine and put a new one on the plane. Then take the engine somewhere to get fixed and inspected. Not sure, I'm not an airplane mechanic either.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by rte

Hahahaha

In pieces on the runway 😮
Posted By: OldHat Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Forget Homer. Yakutat is where it's at. wink Browns wonder around town.

Go checkout Disenchantment Bay. You won't be disappointed.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Wow..... Imagine being the pilot when he first saw the bear on the runway. I would have wished I had adult diapers on.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
There’s not much you can do except think “oh $hit!”. Fortunately it was on landing and not takeoff.

Two guys that work with me have hit deer here on takeoff in the TA-4J. One involved three deer at night and the other hit two deer in the daytime. Fortunately the intakes on the TA-4J are pretty high off the ground so no engine damage.

Almost nailed a doe and two fawns one afternoon with a student in the front doing the takeoff. I saw them at about 12:30 - 1:00 just before they got to the concrete and all I could do was to say “keep going straight, don’t dodge ........”. Probably a 10-15 yard miss. The student said all he saw a brown blur at the last second.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
I bet the accident scene was pretty grizzly !
Posted By: rte Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
I bet the accident scene was pretty grizzly !

Boooooooooooooo!

LOL.
Posted By: las Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Not many people get to fill a $10,000,000 tag, using a $110,000,000 weapon

2 nights ago I missed a deer between Billings and MC by a hair. Well maybe 4 hairs. The second one was a good 3 feet away. Those damned Nisson rentals with CA plates are hazardous!
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
They are tough animals.

Use enough jet.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
did the jet shed any petals on the way through?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
AKwolverine posted this in the AK forum yesterday...
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by rte

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by rte

Hahahaha

In pieces on the runway 😮

I hope that they harvested all of it so they don't get ticketed for wanton waste.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
I was up around Hartford CT years ago (around 93' I believe) for business and there was a big to do on the evening news one night about a plane at the local airport (small passenger jet I think) that hit a deer or two on take off and it destroyed their landing gear. They decided to do an emergency landing back at the airport they took off from. The fire department sprayed a bunch of some kind of foam on the runway and the plane landed without any injuries.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Only in Alaska - 11/16/20
Originally Posted by las

2 nights ago I missed a deer between Billings and MC by a hair. Well maybe 4 hairs. The second one was a good 3 feet away. Those damned Nisson rentals with CA plates are hazardous!

You’re in Billings area?

Still?
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Only in Alaska - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by rte

I would hope that they'd pull the engine and put a new one on the plane. Then take the engine somewhere to get fixed and inspected. Not sure, I'm not an airplane mechanic either.

Ring cowls are hollow, they flow bleed air through them to prevent ice build up inside the inlet. I could do more damage with a couple of whacks of a three pound sledge. R&R the cowling and it's good to go. Ya all want to see a mess find photos of the KC-135 that smacked a cow on the runway at Beale AFB...
Posted By: BadHabit Re: Only in Alaska - 11/17/20
I met a guy one time the got into some deer while landing a Cessna Citation jet in Brookhaven, Georgia one time. He didn't hit the first one. The second hit one of the landing gear and he drug it to the terminal. The 3rd hit the side of the jet causing an 80k repair job.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Only in Alaska - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by las

You’re in Billings area?

Still?

Loooong weekend
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Only in Alaska - 11/17/20
"hold my beer"
Posted By: las Re: Only in Alaska - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by las

You’re in Billings area?

Still?

Loooong weekend

Got into Billings Friday afternoon, spent weekend in MC (FIL 80th birthday), got home midnight last night. Had I planned it better I should have had a few days to go kill off some - one, anyway - of Conrads/Olson's doe deer... might as well get into this "sport hunting" I hear about , now that I'm on retard time smile

90th birthday.. my bad.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Only in Alaska - 11/17/20
Alaska problems.
Posted By: Osky Re: Only in Alaska - 11/17/20
Hmmm.... apply a little duct tape and get er in the air!
Looks like the color will blend just fine, another bonus!
If the women don’t find ya handsome......

Osky
© 24hourcampfire