Home
Posted By: wabigoon Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
What's the best price you've seen on a good Thanksgiving turkey?

Walmart at about a dollar a pound here. I'm waiting till closer to the holiday for specials.

My wife does a great job with an oven bag.

How, and how?
Posted By: J23 Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Marc's Grocery Store nearby had turkey on sale for .49 cents a pound last week. I ran my mother up to pick out her turkey. Thanksgiving dinner is her favorite family event.

There's nothing like Thanksgiving Dinner at Mom's house no matter how old you are!
Posted By: rem141r Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
89 cents with a 20 dollar purchase. we bought 3 big birds. when we cook one we eat one big meal and then make the leftovers into potpies to freeze.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
somehow ended up with 4 turkeys in the freezer and only bought one of them the others were given to us.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Im just checking in before some boomer posts the long, worn out wkrp les nessman turkey drop

Yawn!!
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Split it open like a big chicken and grill it. Remove the breast before the dark meat keeping it moist. Remove meat from bone and tear it up like chopped pork bbq and season. When its all done it looks like eastern NC bbq pork and seasoned similar. I started doing them on the grill so the wife could have the oven for other goodies.

.99 is the best price I've seen so far.
I know I’m bout sick of my old man cooking a bird in the oven and refusing to let me brine it the day before. It ends up being a dried out waste and everyone eats the ham instead.

Same chit every year
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
$.87 here. Going to deep fry one today or tomorrow and smoke another one for turkey day.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
I know I’m bout sick of my old man cooking a bird in the oven and refusing to let me brine it the day before. It ends up being a dried out waste and everyone eats the ham instead.

Same chit every year

If we do one in the oven she jams it in a big roasting pan covered and with the breast down. No "golden skin" that nobody eats anyway but not dried out.

Much rather do it outside on the old grill. Its big enough to do 2 18-20 lb birds with indirect heat.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20

Same chit every year

wrap it in tyvek before you put it in the oven. moist and tender is the result
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
I'm amazed how cheap frozen turkeys are. Can't remember exact price but I bought 2. One for the oven and one for the smoker.
going to put this up again for those who have not seen it, I've been doing the turkey like this the last 3 yrs, everyone loves it.

Originally Posted by stxhunter
going to put this up again for those who have not seen it, I've been doing the turkey like this the last 3 yrs, everyone loves it.

I was just getting ready to ask you to repost that.

That was a damn good video.

Wish I had a kettle cooker like that. You don’t know the brand do you?
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
I'm amazed how cheap frozen turkeys are. Can't remember exact price but I bought 2. One for the oven and one for the smoker.

They get real cheap day after.

I got some a few years back for .29 or .39 cent a pound. Fried a couple, cut up another for catfish bait.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
We don't do turkey for Thanksgiving or any holiday meals.

For us, if we are making a holiday meal we make what we really like: prime rib, crablegs or steak. A couple basic sidedishes and that's it. No way am I going to ruin a rare sitdown family meal with a dang turkey.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
I occasionally pick up a turkey or two at the Community Club annual turkey shoot. They are almost free at 2 bucks a shot. When I add up travel, rifle, custom ammo, beer, scope and practice sessions, I think I'm getting turkey for around 8 bucks a pound, helluva deal.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I was just getting ready to ask you to repost that.

That was a damn good video.

Wish I had a kettle cooker like that. You don’t know the brand do you?

not sure, I know they sell stuff on their web site.

https://bbqpitboys.com/
Posted By: J23 Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I occasionally pick up a turkey or two at the Community Club annual turkey shoot. They are almost free at 2 bucks a shot. When I add up travel, rifle, custom ammo, beer, scope and practice sessions, I think I'm getting turkey for around 8 bucks a pound, helluva deal.

Sounds similar to deer season. After factoring in license, tags, rifles, powders, primers, bullets, clothing, etc., that venison is a steal at 10 bucks a pound!

Still... tastes better than anything I can buy at the store.

Prolly less likely to cause cancer too.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Since Thursday they've been 49 cents at Publix. Got two 12 pounders.

Usually brine 'em, but may have to try that cider thing above.
I've got that same grill, it's a Weber.
I fixed a dozen shrimp skewers in the grill last year as a nice side.

My gluttonous brother in law would not wait for the shrimp to get done so he ate about 13 rolls and 4 or 5 cupcakes and went in the living room and watched some dumbfouck pre recorded isle of man race on Speed Tv while the rest of the family ate.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
That cider look's great!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by blindshooter

Same chit every year

If we do one in the oven she jams it in a big roasting pan covered and with the breast down. No "golden skin" that nobody eats anyway but not dried out.
Yep - gotta have the V-rack with breast side down.. Covered. Also dump in a quart of chicken broth at the start. When done, remove bird, cover with foil for a full half-hour before even thinking about carving.. Gives one plenty of time to do a proper gravy..

Grills don't work well up here in late November when it's probably 15-20 degrees F... Not for me anyway.. smile
I liked smoked turkey, then we got one that was not so good.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
I’ve been doing them trash can style for prob 8-10 years and have gotten good results. Frees up the kitchen and gives us guys a chance to laugh and catch up and relax. Brine overnight in cooler and sure makes for a good bird.
Happy Thanksgiving all.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Gotta tag this one. That turkey looks outstanding!
Posted By: Dutch Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Free with $100 purchase or .68c/lb.

I’m sure glad I’m not a turkey farmer!
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What's the best price you've seen on a good Thanksgiving turkey?

Walmart at about a dollar a pound here. I'm waiting till closer to the holiday for specials.

My wife does a great job with an oven bag.

How, and how?

One 12ga. Shell.
Sorry![Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Sometimes the price race to the bottom of the barrel isn't a good idea for the consumer or the producer.
No one cooks the bird in oil?
Posted By: killerv Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Reminds me, gotta see how much BGE lump I have on hand.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20

picked it up yesterday..16#.......

$0.78 cents a pound......Wally World
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20

Ha! I think the twelve pounder I got at a turkey shoot only cost me about Fifty bucks. Well worth it though!

Jerry
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Ha! I think the twelve pounder I got at a turkey shoot only cost me about Fifty bucks. Well worth it though!

Jerry

That would be funny if it wasn't true. Been there
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Skip it and eat beef. Why eat a dry flavorless bird out of tradition?
Posted By: Colorado14er Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
If your turkey is dry and flavorless, you're cooking it wrong.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Priceless.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by Colorado14er
If your turkey is dry and flavorless, you're cooking it wrong.

I've heard that before, loved to be proved wrong. Hasn't happened yet.

And I can take a nice cut of beef, add basically nothing, cook it almost any way and have a wonderful meal.
An oven bag keeps the bird moist.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
How To BBQ Right has some great turkey recipes.

We won't be using any of them on Thursday.....but they look good for a later time.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Grocery store here gives free ones with bonus points on their card. Just their brand of frozen, but those are already brined somewhat at the packing house. Cut an apple in half, put it inside, and bake in a cooking bag. Works like a champ. After the holidays, frozen birds, smoked wings, and sometimes thighs are dirt cheap. I’ve paid $.10 a pound for the frozen ones. The smoked parts make great bean soup.

I always cook the dressing separately in a pan. Takes too long in the bird, which makes drying it out more likely. I mix the dressing sloppy-wet, and cook it covered in foil until the very last. I also take the bird apart for easy handling.

Another thing that works is using gravy from a jar to stretch the good stuff. Doesn’t take a whole bunch of real gravy to make the Heinz crap taste pretty good for sandwiches.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
No one cooks the bird in oil?
Last time I saw that attempted, the fire trucks were a bit, ah, late.... laugh laugh
Deep fried turkey is great.

But not for Thanksgiving.

For something like a big party with enough people to consume the bird in one sitting...deep fried is good.
We don’t cook dressing in the bird. bbb, bb, b , barf !!

We don’t even make ‘turkey dressing’

What happens here is that a large hen is cooked in a slow cooker a day before, all the meat is rendered off the bone. Also several skillets of cornbread are made, dressing is all put together from scratch, all that broth is mixed in too,all that chicken meat is blended in with the dressing and baked in separate casserole pans. Several batches are made because a few crybaby extended family members, one doesnt like celery, another one cant do onions. Etc. Personally I wouldnt cater to them but whatever.

Wait scratch that, the whiney ass uncle that doesnt like celery; we dont associate with him any more. He tried to screw Nana out of $60k when mee-maw and pee-paw’s house sold last month.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
We're having bone in ribeyes and twice baked potatoes
On Wednesday.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Im smoking a 22 pounder
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Wait scratch that, the whiney ass uncle that doesnt like celery; we dont associate with him any more. He tried to screw Nana out of $60k when mee-maw and pee-paw’s house sold last month.

Bastard
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Smoke it a few hours to put an edge on the gravy. I don't care what happens to it after that. Pass the potatoes.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
I love Thanksgiving dinner. We are having a dozen folks over this year and will our usual 2 stuffed turkeys and all the trad sides. Then I will have turkey and dressing sandwiches for several days. Feasting w/ family is never bad. My wife has never made a dry turkey.

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I love Thanksgiving dinner. We are having a dozen folks over this year and will our usual 2 stuffed turkeys and all the trad sides. Then I will have turkey and dressing sandwiches for several days. Feasting w/ family is never bad. My wife has never made a dry turkey.

mike r

Fuggin A!

No celery!?!

Clearly an azzhole. Shoulda known he’d try to steal!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
If anybody is planning on thawing one in the damned refrigerator, you're too late. Needed to go in about Labor Day.
Posted By: JohnGlenn Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
I am reminded of the one and only Merriams turkey I killed. National Forest in Colorado, 3 hour drive one way, slept on the ground for four nights, finally got a nice gobbler. I took great care in plucking it, cleaning it and freezing it whole for Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving day my dad and brother had the turkey fryer set up and fried a domestic bird that turned out great. I then handed over my thawed perfectly plucked wild Merriams Turkey that I was very proud of. They weighed it, scratch out some ciphering on a scrap 1 x 4, dropped it in the hot oil and went back to drinking busch lattes. Some time passed and they announced the bird was done. What they pulled from the hot oil could be best described as a rather large chunk of wet charcoal. Worse Thanksgiving ever.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Fuggin A!

Phouggin A+
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
This is the time of year for people to burn off unwanted decks (or perhaps whole houses or parts thereof) quite simply using the two simple components of a tub of hot oil and a turkey.
Nah! Cold water in the sink. Roll it around once in a while.
Posted By: EdM Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
I just gave $1.99/lb for a brined one.
We thaw ours in a cooler of cold water overnight.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Wife and I are heading to my parents for Thanksgiving like always. Believe we are the only ones joining them this year. Wife is a damn good cook but Moms turkey and dressing(made seperate from the bird) are the best I have ever ate! We eat at around 1 then the old man and I go out back and shoot our guns we plan on using for deer season and maybe shoot a few mags out of various other guns or some clays. Been that way as long as I can remember.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Ordered a smoked one from nearby restaurant.
Dude is cool.

Proly taste good
Wont know.
Refuse to attend.
Posted By: sse Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by roundoak
Priceless.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

nice
Just for 5sdad.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/18/20
We have a store here that has a limit of one at 39 cents a pound.

I like turkey but my wife does not.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/20/20
Tag for Roger's turkey vid.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/20/20
This years turkey....turkey’s. Will be cooked thusly.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Let's talk Turkey! - 11/20/20
looks great!!

Free turkey today with a fifty dollar meat purchase.
© 24hourcampfire