Home
Posted By: gophergunner Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
My wife's great uncle, Harry Gerrish passed away today. Harry was a fascinating man. He was a flight engineer on B-24's during WWII. An award winning archetect and accomplished artist, Harry did nose art on many of the planes in his unit, or at bases he was stationed at. Some of Harry's nose are is depiicted in the Smithsonian. Whenever we had a family gathering, I'd get Harry off to the side and get him talking about his wartime experiences.. He had several 3 ring binders full of photos of planes he crewed on, battle damaged Liberators, shot down Axis planes, and a huge variety of other wartime photos. Harry had a big black and white photo of a B-24 in flight hanging behind his drafting table. To me it just looked like on of the iconic bombers in flight. To Harry, every aspect of that photo told a story. He must have been a marvelous keeper of these birds. I know he was envolved in many groups that restored WWII warbirds. A very quiet unassuming man, Harry was about as nice a member of The Greatest Generation that you'd ever want to meet. He leaves behind his wife, two sons, several grandkids, and much extended family and friends. Sadly, he fell victim to the Covid virus.

If you'd care to, tip a glass for another old warrior gone on to serve the Lord in a far better place.

Rest in peace Harry. You will be missed.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Of course Jeff, I thank the warrior for his service.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Glass is tipped, he was a good man. One of my uncles was a waist gunner on 24's, wonder if they crossed paths? Had to bail once over France, got home in one piece anyway.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
I no longer "tip a glass",

but I can say condolences to the family and Thank You to Harry.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Rest in peace, Warrior.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
May he rest in Valhalla.....
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
As per General Patton. . . . " We should not sorrow that such men have died. Rather, we should rejoice that they lived"
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
RIP. Thank you for your service doing a job most can't fathom.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
My condolences to you and your family.

God Bless the Great Warrior.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
A humble man indeed of the greatest generation. Cheers warrior!
Posted By: fester Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Salute!
Posted By: RNF Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like good man, May he Rest In Peace.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Glass tipped!
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
May he rest in peace. I have a huge book that is about Nose Art, mostly Second World War. I wonder if any of his work is in it? I’ll have to look.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by bugs4
As per General Patton. . . . " We should not sorrow that such men have died. Rather, we should rejoice that they lived"

DITTO !!!!
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
This world will not again see a generation of men of his caliber. Thank God they were there to answer the call.
May he find the peace he so bravely earned.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
RIP.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by JeffyD
This world will not again see a generation of men of his caliber. Thank God they were there to answer the call.
May he find the peace he so bravely earned.

Amen!!!
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Sorry for your loss. My Uncle Jack was flight engineer in a C-47 flying the "hump" from India into Nepal and back. In the Korean War, he was flight engineer on a B-29 flying missions over North Korea...I think he flew over 60 missions. He wrote a book about his experiences and I had a copy until I "loaned" it to some relative at a family reunion. His stories about hiding from Zeroes in WWII and being attacked by Migs during Korea. He was never in a plane that was shot down, but he ran one out of gas flying back to Japan after bombing the Norks. They made it back over the sea but had to land on a small strip from which they couldn't take off. Said he caught tons of crap over that.

They were indeed the Greatest Generation and we are diminished by the loss of everyone of them.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Sorry about your loss.Indeed he was one of the Great Generation.RIP Aviator.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Glass tipped, condolences
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Thanks for the kind replies guys. Harry told me on one occasion he missed a mission due to sickness. His plane he was assigned to went down on that mission. No one to this day knows what happened. No one saw it go down. There were no claims from the Geramans or Italians of knocking it down, it just flat out disappeared. He said they figure it somehow got seperated from it's formation and took a direct hit in the bombay or was shot down but not claimed No trace of the plane was ever found.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/17/20
Gotta admire a life like that.
Lived well.
Sorry for your families loss.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Jeff, sorry for your loss
RIP Mr Gerrish 🇺🇸
Thank You for your service🇺🇸
Posted By: irfubar Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Sounds like a great American!!!
glass tipped in appreciation
Posted By: Scotty Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Sorry for your loss,
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Done. My condolences to all.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
RIP Uncle Harry!
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Condolences and prayers for the family's peace.
Will tip a glass a little later in his honor.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
The country is lessened by his absence. RIP, sir.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Thank you. Salute. RIP
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Salute! RIP
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
God bless him and comfort his loved ones and friends.

I might’ve missed it but how old was Harry? He had to have been pushing a 100 if not more. What a life he led...
Posted By: worriedman Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
We are better off for his service, I am personally grateful, rest now!
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Awesome man gone on, and heaven is richer for it. May those he left behind be comforted by the memories of his life. And I hope you receive something of his that will be a pleasant reminder of your time with him. Such things matter.

I got a vintage ad poster for the Remington Model 8 that I had loved since I was a little child when my grandfather died last week, and also a drop leaf antique table and chairs that we always ate holiday dinners at. I smile every time my wife and I sit down to a meal at that table, and that framed poster hangs in our living room. I remember eating my breakfast as a little boy while staring at that poster. It hung on the wall of my grandparents’ cafe that was only open for goose season, to serve hunters that flocked to the area. I remember seeing hunters lined up outside in the snow at 5 in the morning, waiting to get in. Every now and then, I meet one of those hunters who remembers the place and my grandparents. Those things carry so many pleasant memories, and are the closest I can get to having my grandparents here with me. It focuses thoughts of them on good times and wonderful memories.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Thanks for telling your/his story. Kind of lets us see a small part of him. RIP🇱🇷
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
R.I.P. Sir........ Another member of the Greatest Generation leaves us. I miss them all. My dad, most of my uncles, scout leaders, teachers, bosses, and a lot of others that influenced me growing up.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Thanks for the kind comments guys. Harry and his wife were both in the VA. She's a dimentia patient. I can't imagine if she has any understanding fo what's transpired today that she'll hang on much longer.
Posted By: g5m Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
RIP, Harry!
Posted By: Dale K Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Peace, Strength and the Grace of God to you and yours in this time of sorrow,

Dale
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
Condolences to your wife's family for their loss.. and Harry for his service to our nation..

sad that a man who has been thru what he has, that in the end, this China virus takes him down...

too bad we can't shoot a missile into China, that they would never figure where it came from...
Posted By: hanco Re: Rest in Peace Harry - 11/18/20
RIP Sir
© 24hourcampfire