Home
for you animal lovers, pet owners and general readers, is it inhumane not to let a cat out of the house that wants out?

i mean, lot's of cat owners let their cats come and go as they want to. the countryside is available.

but others have chosen to keep their cat well protected from predators and indoors.

an indoor cat is safe from owls, coyotes, hawks, foxes, etc. etc.

but my cat is insanely unhappy if she can't go outside.

do i need to get her an appointment for therapy?

i want her to be happy, and be safe too.
You don’t want it to harm non-existent quail populations do you?

Surely we shouldnt blame fire ants, turkeys, snakes and armadillos for their piss poor, lackluster survival instincts to stop building their nests on the ground?
By all means, let it out. Don’t deprive a dog er cat of its happiness.
Anyone letting their cat roam the countryside should be forced to raise birds to replace the ones the cat invariably kills.
If it has its claws and a lick of sense, let it out. Just not close to dawn and dusk.
Animal therapy is a thing but some folks complain about the price of stamps being raised.
i truly appreciate the insights, guidance and encouragement that true animal lovers are willing to offer and share.

my cat is a delightful cat, came here as a stray and has adapted and become almost a family member.

but while she loves to come inside and eat and socialize, her real life, i feel, is out of doors.

i want to do what's right, but there's so many conflicting & competing opinions.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Anyone letting their cat roam the countryside should be forced to raise birds to replace the ones the cat invariably kills.

Yes, I'm for more government too.

Anyone who tells others they can't let their cats out should be forced to go to farms and clear all the mice in the barn.
Originally Posted by Gus

but while she loves to come inside and eat and socialize, her real life, i feel, is out of doors.

Same as any cat worth its weight in cat food.
Around here I’d be more worried about a 17. hmr than a fox or coyote.
A lot of people's cats went missing a couple of years ago coyotes mainly I'm pretty sure. Though there's bobcats regularly and the odd cougar in the hood as well. Our cat is locked inside from before dusk till after dawn and can come and go otherwise. She's still here.
I've had other cats that killed birds but this one doesn't seem interested. She's hell on mice, rats and squirrels if they're stupid though.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yes, I'm for more government too.

Anyone who tells others they can't let their cats out should be forced to go to farms and clear all the mice in the barn.

Oh, I don't sweat it. The 17 hmr is by the front door.
Originally Posted by Gus
for you animal lovers, pet owners and general readers, is it inhumane not to let a cat out of the house that wants out?

i mean, lot's of cat owners let their cats come and go as they want to. the countryside is available.

but others have chosen to keep their cat well protected from predators and indoors.

Have you tried shooting it in the head?
Originally Posted by Gus

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Seems like Huntsman22 posted a good black cat photo the other day...

Wish I could find it. grin
#AllCatsIndoorBy2024

-Oregon Transgender Lawmakers Group
This is third hand but a fella told me the other day about a guy in our area who has a great horned owl nest in a tree in his yard. Says the bird(s) loves them some kitty kats. Says there are bones found at the base of the tree quite often. He loves it because the place is overrun with feral cats. Call it revenge of the birds.
"is it inhumane not to let a cat out of the house that wants out?"

It is inhumane to let your cat out so it can catch diseases from feral cats (that you can catch too), get pregnant from a feral cat, get run over by cars, get killed by dogs, get killed and eaten by predators.

Here's a few diseases you can catch from your cats when you let them outside:

Cat scratch disease.
Roundworms.
Toxoplasmosis.
Rabies.
Campylobacteriosis.
Salmonellosis.
Cryptosporidiosis.
Giardiasis

You can also get ring worms, jock itch and athlete's foot (all caused by the same fungus) from cat crap. I had a bad bout of ringworms on my legs and jock itch last year that I got from sitting on the ground while working on my fence. I got rid of the ringworms on real quick by just by just sitting in the sun with shorts on but had go see a skin doc to get rid of the jock itch. I also got the Giardiasis parasite.

Originally Posted by victoro
"is it inhumane not to let a cat out of the house that wants out?"

It is inhumane to let your cat out so it can catch diseases from feral cats (that you can catch too), get pregnant from a feral cat, get run over by cars, get killed by dogs, get killed and eaten by predators.

Here's a few diseases you can catch from your cats when you let them outside:

Cat scratch disease.
Roundworms.
Toxoplasmosis.
Rabies.
Campylobacteriosis.
Salmonellosis.
Cryptosporidiosis.
Giardiasis

You can also get ring worms, jock itch and athlete's foot (all caused by the same fungus) from cat crap. I had a bad bout of ringworms on my legs and jock itch last year that I got from sitting on the ground while working on my fence. I got rid of the ringworms on real quick by just by just sitting in the sun with shorts on but had go see a skin doc to get rid of the jock itch. I also got the Giardiasis parasite.

You live in such a lovely place. smile

Yeah, I know- probably most of those are here too.
Cats are natural predators and want out to hunt. It's dangerous out there between cars, coyotes, dogs, and diseases. Inside cats have a considerably longer life expectancy. If you declaw your cat, keep it in. It's defenseless without claws.
Originally Posted by RJY66
This is third hand but a fella told me the other day about a guy in our area who has a great horned owl nest in a tree in his yard. Says the bird(s) loves them some kitty kats. Says there are bones found at the base of the tree quite often. He loves it because the place is overrun with feral cats. Call it revenge of the birds.

That might explain what happened to snowball, bootsy, charles 1 and 2, sassy, cuddles, and sunshine.
Originally Posted by victoro
I got rid of the ringworms on real quick by just by just sitting in the sun with shorts on but had go see a skin doc to get rid of the jock itch.

[Linked Image from s3.scoopwhoop.com]
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by RJY66

That might explain what happened to snowball, bootsy, charles 1 and 2, sassy, cuddles, and sunshine.

grin

Lost about ten over the last 20 years, usually half-grown right after they learned to get up on the roof and play, we have GH owls.

Lady across the street had three yappy little teacup chihuahuas “stolen” from her yard, I went out about 4am one morning and a big GHO was perched in her tree out front.
Originally Posted by viking
By all means, let it out. Don’t deprive a dog er cat (or Huntsman) of its/(his) happiness.
FIXT....

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Seems like Huntsman22 posted a good black cat photo the other day...

Wish I could find it. grin

ask, and ye shall receive.....
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Damn Don, take that pic down, it's an endangered Lynx!!

If you love something set it free, if it loves you it will come back .If it don't hunt it down and kill it.
We have a small feral cat that came into our life as a few weeks old kitten. Filthy and full of fleas, hungry and dehydrated, she got a warm bath and food that night and has stayed in the house with the exception of going out on the deck to lay in her favorite sunbeam.

Bailey, has been with us for near 20 years now and still going strong.
No only would I let it out I would put it out. My brother has too many cats on the place. I invite the coyotes to come and snack. My brother saw an owl or hawk swoop down and grab one of his kittens a few years back. I thought it was great but he wasn't laughing.

kwg
It seems like there is always a stray cat showing up out at the farm.

If they are young we'll feed them and tame them down. Then it's a trip into the vet to get spayed/neutered.

If it's an old tom I try and shoot it.

Feeding cats.....

EVERY morning I give my two barn cats a couple cans of Friskies. Lay 'em on the defrost and they get a hot breakfast. Spoiled fuuckers....

Around 10 cats on the farm.

Feeding those bastards is halfway expensive!
© 24hourcampfire