Home
Posted By: Tarkio Use for Old, Dirty Diesel Fuel? - 11/23/20
Selling a few fuel tanks.

One had a bit more fuel than I thought so now I have about 60 gallons of diesel that is old and I caught in not real clean containers.

Is there something I can do with this fuel?

Any use that you can suggest?
Fire starter?
It puts weed killer into overdrive
Put it on Craigslist, someone will filter it and use it.
I figured I would have fuel for some fires. But even my pyromaniac son said how are you going to burn all that fuel???
Works great at keeping weeds down, kills fire ants, yellow jackets and makes wet wood burn. Probably kills toenail fungus as well.
Patrick
I would expect it have some value to a bio-fuel maker.
Get a smudge pot.
Build a dripper in a wood stove. Lots of heat and no fuss.
Fuel oil burner?
I’d filter it and use it my space heaters if I had it. A chit load cheaper than kerosene.
Run it through a Ford powerstroke
Originally Posted by irfubar
Run it through a Ford powerstroke

And it will run so strong.

Unbelievable power.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

YES!
I need some for slash fires.
There are two places in our nearby town that takes old diesel fuel, hydraulic fluid, old engine oil, etc and use it in their EPA certified heaters. One is a NAPA store and the other is a large tool store. I take all of our old hydraulic fluid in 5 gallon cans to the tool place.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

YEP ! I use 1 to 3 ratio.

Originally Posted by dodge268
Works great at keeping weeds down, kills fire ants, yellow jackets and makes wet wood burn. Probably kills toenail fungus as well.
Patrick

YEP, don't know about 'fungus' tho.
Works pretty good in a Tiki Torch.
Do you have any ammonium nitrate?

Bb
Surfactant for spraying stuff
Thinning bar oil for winter

Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Do you have any ammonium nitrate?

Bb

You forgot the “LoL”
Best thing to eat through and clean asphalt cement aka tar
I'm using 25 year old #2 stove oil in my tractor. Got about sixty -eighty gallons left. I pump it by hand through an inline filter from a 55 gal drum. I just add a half can of SEAFOAM per tankful for lubricity. So far no problems.
Depending where you're at someone with a waste oil heater would be able to use it.
Use it to light off old tires on Earth Day. Makes for a great conversation starter with the lefty neighbors.
I'd burn it in my old 7.3 Ford truck. I've burned used motor, hydraulic and transmission oil for years and will continue to when fuel gets high again.
Originally Posted by RUM7
Get a smudge pot.
I have several old ones that still work. I don't use them because diesel is so expensive that it's cheaper to buy fruit than it is to fuel the pots for a couple nights.
Had an acquaintance with an original Power Stroke. He always added a quart of ATF to each fill up. Claimed lubricity improvement. Not sure of the mileage, however, he drove the truck a long time... Certainly did not hurt anything...

@OP, If you filter it properly, can not see where off-blending it with fresh fuel would hurt anything...
You guys that burn that dirty, watery fuel in your expensive diesel engines amaze me.

I've seen some trouble and damage due to condensation build up, and rust in old fuel tanks. Clogs fuel filters, transfer tank filters, and messes up engines, making them an expensive fix.

Guess I go the other way on that stuff...

When I get done with my diesel machinery for the day, I always fill the tank all the way full before parking it for the night. A partially empty tank can get condensation over night in the air space. Thus that water may pass through the filter and cause expensive repairs down the road.

Old oil and outdated, possibly corrupted fuel gets saved to use on burning the brush piles.

Damn Sam
Burn brush piles...........

Lefty
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Fire starter?
That..

Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Burn brush piles...........

Lefty
That what I use it for also... Just did a burn about two weeks ago..
Sounds like a rational reason for buying a military 5ton.
M818.
FWIW I was joking about running old chitty fuel in an engine.
FWIW I was joking about running old chitty fuel in an engine.

grin

Evidently, some weren't though...
Originally Posted by high_country_
Build a dripper in a wood stove. Lots of heat and no fuss.

Kind of seems like two contradictory sentences. smile
Take a cotton t shirt or button down and filter it.

The water wont go through the shirt.

Anything else will be caught by the filter.

Run it in an old machine or hot water washer.
Even clean diesel won't work well in a snowmachine engine.

Don't ask.... smile
Fuel can be scrubbed. In our coastal communities, businesses exist which will filter old fuel sitting in boat tanks. Can't help but believe there is not plenty of need for this inland as well.

Beats the hell out of pouring it out on the ground and eventually into the water supply and some are advocating.
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Beats the hell out of pouring it out on the ground and eventually into the water supply and some are advocating.

Please do show us where someone said to pour it out on the ground.

We'll wait.
A small paving contractor here used to sprinkle it between lifts when paving in heavy rain and worse,
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by OregonCoot

Please do show us where someone said to pour it out on the ground.

We'll wait.

Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Originally Posted by dodge268
Patrick

Originally Posted by ironbender
I need some for slash fires.

Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Surfactant for spraying stuff
Thinning bar oil for winter

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You guys that burn that dirty, watery fuel in your expensive diesel engines amaze me.

I've seen some trouble and damage due to condensation build up, and rust in old fuel tanks. Clogs fuel filters, transfer tank filters, and messes up engines, making them an expensive fix.

Guess I go the other way on that stuff...

When I get done with my diesel machinery for the day, I always fill the tank all the way full before parking it for the night. A partially empty tank can get condensation over night in the air space. Thus that water may pass through the filter and cause expensive repairs down the road.

Old oil and outdated, possibly corrupted fuel gets saved to use on burning the brush piles.

Happy to help.
© 24hourcampfire