Home
Posted By: 1flier Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
Any aromas that bring back great memories? Here's a few of mine. The smell of a just spent paper-hulled shotgun shell. The smell of Dad's fishing creel after a successful fishing trip. Could be trout, bluegill, bass...no matter. The smell of a bakery.
Same deal with the spent paper hull shotgun shell.
Smell of autumn in the aspens with elk.
Hoppes #9
The smell of the paper mill in Dryden, Ontario,
Fresh cut grass in August....two-a-day practice in the sweltering heat and humidity of central texas....good times.
The first horny pussy I ever smelt.
Lea and Perrins and beef fat sizzling on the lava rocks of Dad's gas grill.

Dad's pipe tobacco.

Fresh fired paper shotgun shells.

I suppose those are memories of aromas rather than aromas that bring up memories.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Smell of autumn in the aspens with elk.

hard to beat
Oh oh

I gotta get in before Random Old Duffer says “the smell of freshly fired 16ga paper shotgun shell”

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Well crap i wasnt fast enough
The smokehouse with hams and bacon slowly curing.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
Cutting kindling out of pitch pine
22 rimfire ammo powder
What Mtnsnake said about aspens (I just loaded my front porch with aspen firewood)
Split juniper

Definitely not poopy babies!

Fresh worked dirt by heavy equipment
Originally Posted by slumlord
Oh oh

I gotta get in before Random Old Duffer says “the smell of freshly fired 16ga paper shotgun shell”

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I suppose you'd prefer the smell of a hot crack pipe burning a hole in the vinyl sofa covering. grin
80/90 W gear oil

dead mice

Tink’s 69
Posted By: Dess Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
Puppy breath
The desert after a rain.
Originally Posted by mathman
Oh oh

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I suppose you'd prefer the smell of a hot crack pipe burning a hole in the vinyl sofa covering. grin

Tub of nightcrawlers left in the boat for 2 weeks
🤮🤮🤮😩
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Fresh bread baking and old shotgun shells.

And an old favorite Patchouli incense.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by benchman
Same deal with the spent paper hull shotgun shell.

Same here.
I have some paper shells that I load up for hunting. I sniff pretty much every one of them. Takes me back to 1960 or so.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
Whenever I smell a balsam fir, I am transported back to my childhood. When we put the Christmas decorations away in the attic each year, some needles would find their way into the boxes. Come the next Christmas, Dad would boost me up to the attic panel in the hallway ceiling, I would set it aside in the attic, and he would boost me the rest of the way into the attic. I would then hand down the boxes to him. Somehow, sitting in the attic over the course of the year, those needles would infuse the air up there with their scent. (Taking down and putting away the decorations were the only times that the attic was entered during the year.) When I had handed down all of the boxes, Dad would act like he was going to leave me up there, eventually catching my legs as I lowered myself through the opening and holding me there while I replaced the panel.
Fresh coffee being brewed. Reminds me of my maternal grandfather's old metal coffee percolator with the glass thing in the lid. Used it at his summer place on a bay on the south side of Lake Ontario on the brick outdoor fireplace to make morning coffee in the 50's & 60's. Fresh coffee aroma still brings me back to there.
Coffee percolating, fresh fired paper shotgun shells, honeysuckle just outside my bedroom window, Hoppes #9.
No one says "Napalm in the morning?"

I'll never forget the smell of my grandad's John Deere dealership. It wasn't a pleasant smell, just very distinctive and I suppose it may have been because of all the belts. hoses, tires, and cotton picker doffers stashed in the parts department. That old building has been torn down for many years, but the foundation is intact and the floors in the place were painted and bare concrete which is still visible. When I pass through Fabens I often stop there and I can find the spot where his office once was. I stand there and close my eyes and imagine the familiar smell...and I can almost hear his voice.
Grandma’s farmhouse. Mix of clean far north air, pines, woodstove, home cooking, mothballs, and whatever she cleaned wood floors with (little german lady, you know it was cleaned daily). Gosh I miss her.

Forest floor covered in inches of down hardwood leaves swirling around one’s feet.

Interiors of older trucks, mix of vinyl, dirty fabric and floors, gas fumes and tobacco smoke.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
Doug fir just peeled, heading down the conveyors toward the clipper! Filled the whole green end with a fresh wood smell. And Lina, after a good screwing!
Fresh oxycodones
Hoppes #9
Bardahl vba
bull elk
Fresh cut red fir
fresh cut pine
hayfields
wild mustard. GD
Originally Posted by watch4bear
The desert after a rain.

The desert here in EP stinks on ice after a rain. It's disgusting.

Lots of other disgusting odors in this town as well.
Posted By: las Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
Barn smells ( hay and manure), faint odor of skunk.

Yeah, I know, that's weird!
Mmm, mmm Miss Beadle’s lemon verbena parfume

Spank my ass and make me wash the chalkboard
Corn silage when I forked it down out of the silo!
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Fresh bread baking and old shotgun shells.

And an old favorite Patchouli incense.

Yup, Patchouli oil. I went to college in the mid 70s and was into hippie chicks. I'll add smoked ribs to your list. Oh, and the smell of a sea breeze coming in over a field of mature barley when we were on Black Isle in Scotland.

Posted By: old70 Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
The north woods on a damp fall morning, just cold enough to crinkle a nose hair or two. Frying bacon and perking coffee over a wood fire. Those are the good ones. Diesel exhaust and moon dust making giant crusty snots, standing next to a too long since emptied portajohn, two week since real shower body funk, and rotten feet. Those are the not so good ones.

Oh, and in case no ones mentioned it, freshly fired paper shotgun hulls......

Old70
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Corn silage when I forked it down out of the silo!

I had completely forgotten about that. Climbing up in the silo at Lloyd's (the guy I worked for) mother's place in the winter. Using a pick to break silage loose, then sending it down, climbing down and spreading it out onto the bunk, getting jostled by bovine heads while I was doing it, and once getting a (thank goodness blunt) end of a horn in the back of my thigh from a head tossed in ecstasy.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/25/20
WOW ...

All great memories. You put me right in the frame.

Spike camp breakfast in the mountains...cowboy coffee, canned bacon , Pancakes.

The silage brings back memories , frozen silage. busted silo -unloader.

3 ' deep snow ...steaming turd hearse ....one could smell the swear words.

Attached picture DSC00108.jpg
Coal smoke, everybody heated their house with coal, and the steam engines parked in the rail yard down the street still ran on it. Some years back I was up on Mt Washington NH when their cog railway locomotive was still coal-burning.

The smell of smoke, soot and grease instantly took me back.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Thats a smell you never forget, missed this year because of the border shut down.
Enjoli
My mind skipped a bit .......to the young scents of youth,

young farm gal in love always smells lovely.

OH the mammories.........
Ford rear diff friction modifier LOL

Yes , the Dryden Pulp Mill

on ourway to Lake Thaddeus...........
Yesterday someone was burning wood in a fireplace or wood burner. Cherry, I think. Reminded me of camping.
Looking forward to next spring in the mountains.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
The desert after a rain.

The desert here in EP stinks on ice after a rain. It's disgusting.

Lots of other disgusting odors in this town as well.

I've experienced some pretty bad odors around El Paso. The west side in the 60s sometimes stunk to high heaven...I don't know what it was but I think it emanated from the old ASARCO plant right on the river.

But after a rain?? That's one of the things I miss most about El Paso. It smells like Creosotebush after a rain, and most El Pasoans enjoy that---especially the ones who move away and miss it.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Nell’s Five and Dime in Columbia Kentucky when I was a kid. It smelled of bubble gum, candy and rubber from toys. The cash register was by the front door and those entry boards were worn down so that the nail heads were a bit proud of the wood and bright and shiny. I wish that I could go back and smell that place. It was obligatory to go there and buy pea shooters before local parades. The smell of that place was everything magical for a kid.
Posted By: old70 Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
One I forgot, the smell of peat smoke on a chilly morning in a small village in Ireland, just after a long walk through a pasture.

Old70
Bean Switch bottom late night in early winter, leaves in the slough give a pungent aroma unlike anywhere else I have ever been, listening to Old Crook start cold, heat up then tree, walking in dodging Cyprus knees to shoot out the bandit with the men. I go back every year to stand on the borrow ditch and breath deep, wear my Grand Pa's old Greenbrier coat for effect.
Posted By: sse Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by Dess
Puppy breath

smells like dog crap
Originally Posted by 1flier
Any aromas that bring back great memories? Here's a few of mine. The smell of a just spent paper-hulled shotgun shell. The smell of Dad's fishing creel after a successful fishing trip. Could be trout, bluegill, bass...no matter. The smell of a bakery.

Visiting the home of my Italian grandparents. They owned a small apartment building, lived in one apartment, and rented two others out. When we'd arrive and enter the door leading to the main hallway and stairway, you could immediately smell what they had been cooking. Smelled great.

Also the smell of the diesel engines on the fishing boats that my dad would take me on to go fishing off Long Island. I always enjoyed that.

Also the smells of my Southern grandma's cooking (they lived in western Virginia), mainly breakfast, which was always special. The smells of patty sausages and bacon on the cast iron skillet, and fresh brewed coffee, every single morning.
Originally Posted by cisco1
WOW ...

All great memories. You put me right in the frame.

Spike camp breakfast in the mountains...cowboy coffee, canned bacon , Pancakes.

The silage brings back memories , frozen silage. busted silo -unloader.

3 ' deep snow ...steaming turd hearse ....one could smell the swear words.

the stove
my first gf's perfume

fresh baked bread

Summer meadow after a brief rain

coffee
Barn full of alfalfa the next morning.
Climbing into a silo to even out yesterday's corn silage.
A 2 stroke Detroit starting on a cold morning.
Lifts of fresh sawn oak.

3 of us crammed into an old Datsun riding out of the woods after
a summers day logging.

Chainsaws, sawdust, oil, mixed gas.

Some would find a few objectionable.
But the smells link to people, places and times.

Mom canning in the summer.
Pickles, catchup,
Mixed vegetables in the fall.

Those are good ones. Don't smell them cooking anymore,
But I can occasionally swipe some.
Originally Posted by sse
my first gf's perfume.

Yep, that too. Halston. First kiss. I don't think my feet touched the ground till hours afterwards. I just floated around.
Posted By: aalf Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20

Our little burb was lucky enough to have a large pig farm on the edge of town for years.

A west wind painted the town with pig shlt perfume......
The smell of bacon frying coming from Grandma's kitchen, and the smell of a freshly lit pipe from Grandpa's rocking chair.
Apple pie in the oven, reminds me of Holidays with my parents and grandparents.
A river in the early morning.
The smell of the Schitt River as you crossed the bridge from the main gate at Subic Bay into Olongapo
The aroma of coconut suntan oil still makes my sticker peck out.
Posted By: Steve Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
The desert after a rain.

This.
Mom's home made bread. We never ate a slice of store bought bread. The smell of garlic and dill when Mom and Dad were canning pickles.They would put up about 150 quarts every year.
pre-sunrise diesel exhaust
fresh mixed concrete
just mowed grass
just harvested grass
onions
peeled oranges and lemons
ocean
wet forest
burning rubber
Old trucks.
Sage and juniper warming after a bit of rain. I honestly like the smell of skunk, in moderation.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
The aroma of coconut suntan oil still makes my sticker peck out.

Got a whiff of that a few years ago and I suddenly remembered a trip in my folks Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser with my Dads best friends daughters. They had some lip gloss in a ginger bread man key chain locket sorta thing had the same scent.

I bet I was 2 years old.

Crazy how the brain works.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Birch campfires
Black powder smoke
snatch in the morning or anytime for that matter
Posted By: Brazos Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
My Mom's Windsong perfume...

Hoppes #9

Plumeria blossoms

Rain on hot Texas asphalt.
Posted By: pal Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Fresh bannock baking by an open campfire.

Water evaporating off your skin in the hot sun after a swim.

Fresh, raw scallops eaten from the shell after just being pried off a rock.

Hamburger and onions frying.

Cinnamon pinwheels baking.

Bluegills and home fried potatoes frying in butter.

The smell of tar in a real old ship's chandlery.

An apple orchard in bloom.
Posted By: skeen Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Smell of a brand new acoustic guitar - pick one, any of 'em, and I've had a lot; Taylor, Gibson, Martin, Takamine.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20

Overnighting as a kid at my grandmother's house, chilly early morning not even daylight yet, the smell of coal burning in the fireplace grate and old cast iron Warm Morning heater along with homemade biscuits, pork sausage and home cured smoked bacon and fresh eggs frying and boiled coffee all made on her ancient wood burning cook stove, fresh whole milk still warm from her cow.

Posted By: DMc Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Found out I was allergic to the aroma of eucalyptus trees in So. California.
All you fuggers with your smell memories.

I have anosmia - I have never smelled a thing in my life.

My wife, a wet dog, a baby, puppy breath, a ballpark and hotdogs.

Leaking propane in a pit blind on the Platte in Nebraska......
Posted By: 700LH Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Sage in bloom,
A orange grove in bloom,
Honeysuckel
Silky satin items left in your teenage car after a long make out session plus
I have some paper shotgun shells from the `1960s and fire one once in a while just to smell it.
A 5lb bag of coffee beans just unsealed.
the river on a summer evening
juniper in the fireplace
a puppy

and about a 1000 more
My first real girl friend and I used to sneak down in her parents basement for a piece of ass, where her mom had some crocks of homemade sauerkraut brewing.

To this day when I am eating some I get a woody.
Roses. Julie, my high school sweetheart, and her mom grew hundreds of roses. She would dry and crush the petals and use them in her shampoo. Always smelled of fresh cut rose. Beautiful memory.
Originally Posted by old70
One I forgot, the smell of peat smoke on a chilly morning in a small village in Ireland, just after a long walk through a pasture.

Old70

+1 I have that olfactory memory as well. I visited a long-lost cousin in Ireland and she was cooking stew over a peat fire (turf fire) in her fireplace. I relive that smell whenever I enjoy a peated scotch.

I'll add the smell of new leather; a pair of new boots or baseball glove. What boy didn't stick his nose into the pocket of a new baseball glove?
I recently bought a GI issued "Willey Pete" bag. The smell of that thing brought back some memories.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Napalm on human flesh...
The smell of a freshly opened ammo can.
A couple more: A maple syrup sugar shack in operation, & a rickhouse full of bourbon aging in barrels (the Angel's Share).
Posted By: jpb Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by cooper57m
A couple more: A maple syrup sugar shack in operation, & a rickhouse full of bourbon aging in barrels (the Angel's Share).

Yep, carrying the wood in, stoking the fires under the evaporation pans... the smell of the sugar shack takes me back to when I was a boy and I helped my uncle make maple syrup (in Canada, not Sweden).

John
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20

I reember the farm scents....

The sheds all had a distinct odor of their own, machine shed oily, greasy, fuel....the pungent smell of the wood shed, the unique undescrible smell of the pump house, and of course the barn

and the milk house, the wheezy old grainery.

Good , long gone memories.
Favorite Olfactory Memories........me I think. Used to have an Asian girlfriend and when she came over I always got a big hug at the door as she came in but never a kiss. Instead she would bury her nose on my chest and inhale deeply. Every time she would do this. Finally I asked her why, she responded in broken English......."smell good". Usually we were making whoopi within 15 minutes of her arrival. Funny thing that Irish Spring.
Going after the cows on a dark foggy August morning barefoot
and the warm feeling squishing between your toes. You
knew you were getting close to them.
Old Cuss

Too many to list.
As Poconojack says, too many to list, but here's one that sticks out: The smell of the interior of those old 1930s and 1940s cars, horsehair and velour. I was at an antique car show some years ago with my brother-in-law. We stuck our heads inside an old car and the smell caused us both to smile, remembering the cars adults drove when we were just kids.
Speakin of Ol factories

Johns Manville was mighty good to me for 30 years, retired in ‘59

Posted By: JeffP Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Death is a smell you never forget...

Sometimes I get a flashback from being put under by ether .
It was not pleasant.

The good
My wife’s cooking. She is cooking pies right now. I’m going to down 1/2 a pumpkin pie here shortly.
Mowed grass
Fresh killed Elk, moose, deer
Walking through pines
Sagebrush in Wyoming
Tundra in Alaska
Camby hill firing range after a nighttime fire superiority drill
Wet dog in duck boat
Honeysuckle
Originally Posted by Brazos

Freud aisle one....
The combination of spices at the Dartmouth COOP in Lebanon, NH.

The smell of ozone from a close lightening strike.

Stoysich meat market in Omaha, NE.

The way that the air smells before a snow storm.

A warm Spring day when the snow is melting fast.

A wood fired sugar shack during a boil.

Wood smoke from a fireplace on a cold winter day.

Freshly cut alfalfa.

Diesel exhaust fumes when the vehicles are started after first-light stand-to.

Posted By: Brazos Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by JeffP

Freud aisle one....

Dirty mind there Jeff.
The turkey smell pretty good when I came back in the house.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by JeffP

Freud aisle one....

Dirty mind there Jeff.

Nothing dirty on my side
Just an observation....
a new born calf or colt
the smell of the exhaust of a 1970's carbureted V8
Posted By: drover Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Fresh cut hay, fresh cut wood, and leather that is new enough to retain some of the smell.

drover
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Whenever I smell a balsam fir, I am transported back to my childhood. When we put the Christmas decorations away in the attic each year, some needles would find their way into the boxes. Come the next Christmas, Dad would boost me up to the attic panel in the hallway ceiling, I would set it aside in the attic, and he would boost me the rest of the way into the attic. I would then hand down the boxes to him. Somehow, sitting in the attic over the course of the year, those needles would infuse the air up there with their scent. (Taking down and putting away the decorations were the only times that the attic was entered during the year.) When I had handed down all of the boxes, Dad would act like he was going to leave me up there, eventually catching my legs as I lowered myself through the opening and holding me there while I replaced the panel.

That's really good stuff. Based on your words, I was almost there. It helps my imagination that my dad has the same kind of prankish/loving humor.
Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Thats a smell you never forget, missed this year because of the border shut down.

I got enough for the 3 of us !
Originally Posted by chris_c
Ford rear diff friction modifier LOL

Yep, pretty familiar with this one too !
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by drover
Fresh cut hay, fresh cut wood, and leather that is new enough to retain some of the smell.

drover

Richard would be disappointed if I did not make a disparaging remark about "fresh cut hay". grin
My Grandfather, with much help from my Dad, built a cabin in the mountains above Boone, N.C. in the late '60s-early '70s. My most cherished childhood memories are of times in and around that cabin. Since we only got up there once or twice a year, it always had that "musty" smell when we entered. The cabin is still in the family, now belonging to my Dad's only surviving sibling, my aunt, and we try to get up there at least for a weekend each year. It still has that familiar smell and I love it.

Also, there's something about the smell of an old fashioned hardware store. All ours are long gone, but there's one we step into in West Jefferson when we're up at the cabin that has that distinctive smell that takes me back to my childhood.
Posted By: JGray Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/26/20
Well crap - the first memory I had reading the thread title doesn't mesh with these responses. As a kid in elementary school, a neighbor girl took me for a ride on the back of her brand new Honda Trail 50 mini-bike and the smell of her hair in my face was wonderful.
WW 20 ga hull just fired on a snowy morning..........spice smell of rabbit fur.
Originally Posted by hookeye

Pray tell it was a paper shell. lol
Posted By: MJones Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/27/20
Long dickin a chubby girl doggy style . WOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just like being there...
Posted By: sse Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by hookeye

Pray tell it was a paper shell. lol

i love the smell of vapor from a fired shotgun shell, don't think it has anything to do with what the hull is made out of
Originally Posted by MJones

Dirty ass, huh?

Bleck, brown, green, yellow or white chick?
Posted By: MJones Re: Favorite Olfactory Memories - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by MJones

Dirty ass, huh?

Bleck, brown, green, yellow or white chick?

Big ol white girl, river rat .
© 24hourcampfire