Home
Posted By: tedthorn Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Birdsongs Black T........or
Cerakote

Or ?
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Tagged.

You may want to ask in the Gunsmithing or Hunting Rifles forum.

Old thread
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Tagged.

Old thread

I posted on Rifles as well

That old thread will give me a lot to look through. Thank you
Posted By: AMoore141 Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
KG GunKote
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Tagged.

Old thread

I posted on Rifles as well

That old thread will give me a lot to look through. Thank you

Some of the finishes in the old thread is no longer available.....well, maybe just one and that is the Robar NP3. I believe they closed the doors. Hopefully a new thread may provide new insight.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Black Ice

http://blackicecoatings.com/
Posted By: copperking81 Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
I don't care for cerakote and anything that gets painted on. I've been sold on DLC after seeing how well my Glock's with their DLC coating have handled years of abuse and thousands of unholsterings. Last year I bit the bullet and DLC coated two rifles. One is my backpack elk rifle and it's been through two seasons now, lots of miles, and it still looks brand new. The other is a bench rig that probably didn't need it but hey... it looks kickass and I had to have it.

Chad at Club Customs is who did mine and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to send him more. It is a bit pricey though but I think well worth it especially for rifles that are going to get worked.

http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Light coat of clear rustoleum brand (flexseal) and after it dries hit it with a flat paint

Only hardchrome will outperform it
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Nitride or hard chrome
Posted By: RufusG Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20

Some of the finishes in the old thread is no longer available.....well, maybe just one and that is the Robar NP3. I believe they closed the doors. Hopefully a new thread may provide new insight.

NP3 is still available:

https://wrightarmory.com/np3-metal-finishing/
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Cerakote

Or ?

What color,you thinking?

Black-t is somewhat limited i believe. Black, brown, od green?

I like to try it. They are not too far from me.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Rifle coatings - 11/27/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Cerakote

Or ?

What color,you thinking?

Black-t is somewhat limited i believe. Black, brown, od green?

I like to try it. They are not too far from me.

She will want a close match to the original Kimber matte blue
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rifle coatings - 11/28/20
Originally Posted by RufusG

NP3 is still available:

https://wrightarmory.com/np3-metal-finishing/

That's awesome! I had no clue anyone was doing it after Robar closed the doors.

Thank you.
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Rifle coatings - 11/28/20
I have a 1911 with Black T and 4 rifles with Cerakote. The Cerakote has held up well, but it is not as nice as the Black T. In fact, last week I was thinking about having one of the Cerakote rifles sent out to be stripped and done in black T.

Any future projects will be Black T.

405WCF
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Rifle coatings - 11/28/20
Originally Posted by copperking81
I don't care for cerakote and anything that gets painted on. I've been sold on DLC after seeing how well my Glock's with their DLC coating have handled years of abuse and thousands of unholsterings. Last year I bit the bullet and DLC coated two rifles. One is my backpack elk rifle and it's been through two seasons now, lots of miles, and it still looks brand new. The other is a bench rig that probably didn't need it but hey... it looks kickass and I had to have it.

Chad at Club Customs is who did mine and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to send him more. It is a bit pricey though but I think well worth it especially for rifles that are going to get worked.

http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

I deal with DLC on an industrial basis & have a couple of AR bolts & carriers that are DLC & there is absolutely nothing better, it's extremely hard, very tough, slick & adds no measurable buildup..................but Ionbond as a company are a bunch of schitt heads. Fortunately, there are other companies doing (commercial, industrial) DLC besides Ionbond.

Hard chrome (Metaloy) would be my 2nd choice, PVD after that.

Black T & Black Ice both = Teflon................which has a tendency to chip.

MM
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Rifle coatings - 11/28/20
Anybody had entire guns done in melonite/nitride/qpq? I’ve used it on industrial parts where stainless wasn’t an option and happy with it over time. Curious as to entire firearms as an alternative to “bluing”.
Posted By: dodge268 Re: Rifle coatings - 11/28/20
Birdsong does tons of colors. They did a pink .410 for me to give to my niece some years ago. Call them and ask. Great guys, great service, great product. Also I may be biased because they are down the road from me and I've been using them for years. I wouldn't use anything else.
Patrick
© 24hourcampfire