Home
Posted By: exbiologist 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
For some, this year has been a dumpster fire and I'm not here to salt any wounds. But for us, 2020 has been a great year, and in this season of giving thanks and counting blessings, I wanted to memorialize our year. This is probably going to take a while, but don't worry, there will be fish and game pictures and stories. Sit tight and I'll get it all in quickly.

Starting in January, before anyone cared about a pandemic, we took a cruise to Mexico with 3 other couples, none of whom I'd seen in 20 years. They were all old 4-H friends that I hadn't stayed in very good touch with and about two years ago we tried to put together a reunion with about 20 of us. No surprise, but only a few core folks decided to go, and I'm glad we stuck with the cruise idea, as it allowed everyone to pay their own bills, set their own budget within the constraints of a settled upon itinerary, and no one got stuck trying to collect on money owed. It was a great cruise and the booze package with the locator beacon (princess calls it the medallion) meant a bartender could bring you a drink anywhere. We only maxed out the package limit once on a sea day (had an awesome 4 sea days out of a 7 day cruise). Mazatlan is a dump by the way. And the craps table was very generous to us. Twice, the pit boss had to go back to the bank for more chips despite the crappy max odds. It more than paid for the other cruise expenses. Playing craps into the wee hours is no big deal when you only have a sea day the following day. And besides, it's just Mexico, we weren't going for sights, just the atmosphere and being amongst old friends. Thankful for a great time with old friends.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

I wrote up a deal about running down and tasing an illegal and wanted felon that eluded my state trooper buddy and was gonna post pictures, but he still hasn't been deported yet, so I'll just say I'm thankful for a peaceful ending.

About a week after that incident, our 8 year old Golden Retriever died suddenly of a tumor on her heart that burst and filled her pericardium. She was a great dog, and a typical sweetheart, so gentle with the kids. I'm thankful for all the joy she brought to our life. So our next task was to replace her, and we wasted no time, finding what seemed like a great puppy 6 hours away. Otto has been such a blessing. He's the sweetest, gentlest, most joyful dog we've ever had, and that's saying something.

By April, we were back to fishing, taking the kids out on the canoe a couple times, including one camping trip with it since we had such a terrible drought and the mountains were already clear of snow.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For years we had threatened to buy a boat and the quarantine times gave us all the excuse we finally needed and pulled the trigger. Thankful for being debt free and able to indulge on occasion. This has been the best toy we've ever bought ourselves and our whole summer revolved around boating. We never missed a week on a boat between May and September, even if it was just an evening cruise at our local State Park 15 minutes down the road. The kids have loved it and Otto has found his calling in life as a boat dog.

Many more blessings to come

Posted By: exbiologist Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
We also went boating on the Front Range, Nebraska and Yellowstone and are thankful for the generosity of our friends and family to host us on those trips. I caught my personal best walleye in Nebraska while night fishing. Surprisingly got checked by game wardens at 2am, and probably to their surprise there were no violations, and we caught a bunch of wipers. Hats off to them for being out there in the middle of the night.

Speaking of Yellowstone, that's the only time my family has chosen to see our kids this year, as they have been trying to minimize social interactions due to their risk factors. But we did get to do another reunion of sorts, with both my brothers and their spouses plus our parents all getting together for the first time in Yellowstone since my older brother was married there in 2011. I don't think my kids had ever seen them all in the same place before. Yellowstone was a big deal to us growing up, going there about every other year and sometimes consecutive years.

more to come
Posted By: Shooter71 Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Good thread! Thanks for sharing.
We did take the canoe out one more time after buying the real boat, borrowing a cabin and the in laws got to come out for some civilized camping. Katie also had elk and deer licenses here so she got to spend a little time scouting.

Now, on to hunting season. We only really had one tag to get excited about, and that was my muzzleloader tag. I spent two overnighters in the unit on scouting trips, and the bulls were screaming all over the place on the second one in the backcountry. I only took three goats on that one and the elk barely noticed them. I went back to that same place two weeks later after a big snowstorm. We saw that the weather would warm up quickly, so we skipped the opener and headed up a day later with all 7 kids loaded down moderately for as much as ten days if needed. After passing up close to a dozen bulls, I got this one at 90 yards quartering towards with the .54 cal muzzleloader. Unfortunately it was a liver shot and I was alone when I shot him, so I couldn't tell which direction he ran when I fired and there was no blood trail. I didn't find him until the next day, but thankfully he was salvageable. It was a great hunt, we were in elk daily, even if they weren't screaming constantly like a few weeks prior. Even had numerous moose encounters at close range. The goats did great packing for us and even acted as decoys several times. The elk weren't universally concerned by them, and if laying down, the goats really allowed the elk to come in close. Thankful for a great hunting buddy and 7 cooperative goats.

more to come...
Between my wife, myself and father in law, we only drew one antelope doe license this year. So, to make it worthwhile, we dragged the boat 7 hours out there, knowing that the hunt may be over quickly if I do my part. When weighing how to put some challenge into the hunt, I debated trying to get one with my FIL's .41 mag S&W or a T/C contender rechambered for .445 Supermag. Instead, I went with the challenge of letting my four year old tag along on the stalk. Thinking he would blow a few stalks, and we'd be able to spend all day hunting, I was wrong, and I got a doe on the first stalk. He was about 50 yards behind me with my wife, while Allison was in the truck. Kristofer said it was the loudest thing he ever heard in his life. Katie got my daughter out of the truck to come pose for photos and play with the antelope while we quartered her. After spending 30 minutes poking, prodding and petting the antelope and stumbling around the sage, she managed to fall in a little cactus just as we were loading up the quarters. So I got to hike a naked crying baby with cactus spines in her ass along with two quarters back to the truck.

We got to spend the rest of the weekend fishing and boating a new lake, catching several walleye and some good sized rainbows. Made for a beautiful place to camp with practically no one there at night.

more to come...
Posted By: ribka Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Thats a nice walleye and bull! Looks like the goats paid off. Sounds like you have great life..
Posted By: EdM Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Nice. From early Jun we spent about four months at our place on the foothills of the Cabinet's in north Idaho. Could not be at a better place at the time or, frankly, ever.
Katie finally got to hunt, but I couldn't help her until after the opener. She screwed up with elk at 60 yards by trying to chamber a round, feeling resistance, then backing the bolt and trying again, causing a double feed. While screwing with the gun, the elk heard it and took off. She had a bull in chip shot range but blew it. So when I saw her a few days later, she was still pretty down on herself, knowing you only get so many chances. While glassing up the area at dawn she said she was hearing bugles the night before, we found a lone elk about 900 yards away (either sex license, so as long as it wasn't a spike we would have been good). It was in an isolated pocket, surrounded by timber, so we quickly bailed off our ridge and hustled over there. We slowed down considerably as we approached, but were busted by two elk. Don’t know if the original lone elk was one of these or not, but there was no elk to be found in the park where we left it about 20-30 minutes prior.

A week later Katie was back in the same area, but a little lower, with a girlfriend and a deer tag. Once again, I couldn’t help her for the opener but was available later in the week. On opening day I randomly ran into her girlfriend’s husband and his mom unknowingly blew my wife’s secret of the deer she shot on opening morning. Apparently the girls climbed up a mesa, seeing lots of does. She glassed up what she thought may have been a buck back towards the road, and climbed back down, shooting him barely a 100 yards from the road at less than 100 yards with her 308. She was pretty tickled to have gotten the buck and packed it out with no boys involved but tried to sneak it home through my web of spies without me knowing. Thankful for my sneaky wife.

I then picked up a reissued deer license for one of our favorite deer spots. The season opened on Saturday and Wednesday I drove 4 hours to our spot. I had until Friday to get it done. I climbed a ridge, seeing hunter after hunter in each of my preferred draws. Dejected, I snuck down into the main draw, continually glassing with the waning light. Just after sunset, I realized there was a dark shape in the light grass watching me descend the ridge. I dropped down with my binos but couldn’t make out any antlers in the draw. Instinctively, I knew it was the body of a buck, but I couldn’t confirm until he turned his head and I could see the movement above his head through the brushy background above him. But as he moved, I lost my shot, and all of a sudden other does appeared at various distances between 50 and 100 yards. With the bad light, I frantically tried to sort out where my buck went. He knew something was up, but the does were content and he didn’t want to leave them. I couldn’t get a shot from the seated position with shooting sticks above some brush as I found him walking toward the cliffs with heavier timber. It was now or never time, and like the fatal flaw of all mule deer, he stopped and turned broadside at 150 yards. So I stood up and shot him offhand with 5 minutes of shooting light remaining. But now I had to find. I ran over there, setting my pack where I thought he was standing and began to circle and I instantly smelled buck. I found him about 20 yards further than where I thought, dropped in his tracks. 280 AI did the trick. 4 hour drive, 2 hour hunt. I got out with the first load way after dark. Spent the night at an AirBnB, and went back at it in the morning, finishing with two more loads. Thankful for a great spot and a little luck to get a better buck than my wife.

cuz I apparently didn't have any paracord this time to hang quarters overnight, still figured something out

With a day left of the season, I offered to help my father in law with his tag and got him into some deer that morning, but he wasn’t comfortable with the shot presented and was tired after 6 days of hunting, so he called it quits.

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and here’s to another great year.

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Excellent, sir!!!
Posted By: Higginez Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Great post!

Wish my 2020 was half that good.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
We've had our best year yet. Many changes - all for the better. It is what you make of it. Glad to hear you are doing well.
Posted By: BHAMMEDIC84 Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
great post and congrats
Posted By: JSTUART Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20

Yes that looks like a pretty good year, but from where I sit it looks like it was good because you managed to do it with family...best way to go.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
ya did good!!!! excellent. a family living life the way it should be lived.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Awesome EX, I'm very happy for you and your family. You are a blessed man. Lol, I see the boy didn't roll to far away from the trunk.........
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
You got a permit to have that much fun????? grin
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Great pics.

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Billy_Goat Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
great writeup.

sorry about the Golden. =/
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
That sure looks like a lot of fun! (I'd like to see a PFD on everyone)
Posted By: pointer Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Very well done and very well told. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
This is the best thread I’ve seen all year.

You have an awesome wife, great kids, great life and make the most of every opportunity you have. My hat is off to you, sir!

I’m gonna show this thread to Slavyanka because she’s been bugging the hell out of me to get some goats. Who knew they could be used for packing?
Posted By: 57springer Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Very nice , a breath of fresh air to this forum , !! Carry on.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Congratulations, you and family are doing well! Thanks for the positive story here, we need more.
Posted By: Raspy Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Very enjoyable to read....thank you!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
A very good read.
Thanks ex.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Great post!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
It's the politician's that screwed up the year.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Great post! Thanks for sharing the stories and pictures of your adventures throughout the year. Love seeing the whole family involved and enjoying the outdoors. Some very nice trophies for all of you this year. Congratulations to you and your wife on the successes and, more importantly, for doing the extra work to include your kids in the experiences. Memories that will last a lifetime for all of you...
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Great thread and pics. Thanks.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Great thread, thanks for posting! Much agreeance in that there have been some great moments this year, and in our home they outweigh the bad by a long shot. Patience is a virtue, and all of us have had that virtue tested this calendar year. We will survive and thrive.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Exbiologist: I am thankful for your personal happiness and fulfillment - and hope it continues!
BUT.... if you, or anyone else, thinks 2,020 has been a good year (or a "not so bad year"!) then you are NOT paying attention or your head is so far up your ass you can't see what has been going on!
PERIOD!
Again I hope your personal realm of happiness continues but YOU should pay a LOT more attention to what is going on around you (in your country!)!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thanks all, I’m glad to have a place to share my family with you and yours

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Exbiologist: I am thankful for your personal happiness and fulfillment - and hope it continues!
BUT.... if you, or anyone else, thinks 2,020 has been a good year (or a "not so bad year"!) then you are NOT paying attention or your head is so far up your ass you can't see what has been going on!
PERIOD!
Again I hope your personal realm of happiness continues but YOU should pay a LOT more attention to what is going on around you (in your country!)!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I know the sun doesn’t seem to shine much around you, and yes my kids not being in day care but having to still pay $1,000 a month to keep my spot sucked. Didn’t get a lot of work done at home those three months. But I didn’t pull my retirement money out at the bottom and am now up 14.5% on the year. I do pay attention to what’s going on around me and I don’t let it get me down. I could let the Forced introduction of wolves in Colorado, the anti law enforcement bill here in Colorado, this presidential garbage, the mandatory furlough, canceled raise and other things get me down. Things are and will be fine. Like I said, I wasn’t trying to rub salt in wounds for those whose year was tough, I hope you get better soon.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Life is good.

cool pics and stories.
Posted By: oldcuss Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
One of the best post I have seen on this site.
Old Cuss
Posted By: efw Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Awesome reflections here man and very good perspective that is good for us all to consider.

Great family stuff man you’ve made a life around the outdoors and are reaping the benefits.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: 280shooter Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Fear is an easier sell than happiness.
Posted By: antlers Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Yep. We can make ourselves miserable, or we can make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.
Posted By: OldHat Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Things are and will be fine.

This is not about the power of positive thinking. I've very glad you have a happy life, but whistling past the graveyard or counting our pennies while Rome burns is still denial.

A fundamental shift has occurred, and it's accelerating. I'm very happy as well, and I did not even buy a new boat. That said, I don't lie to my children and grandchildren and tell them their 401Ks will save them.

"Norway Criminalizes Hate Speech Against Transgender People... In Private Homes Or Conversations"
https://www.zerohedge.com/political...er-people-private-homes-or-conversations

Posted By: smokepole Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Yep. We can make ourselves miserable, or we can make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.

Yes but if you're making yourself happy, you don't have much to complain about with strangers on the internet. It's just not as much fun.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
May 2021 be as good or better for ya! smile
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
And that was just one year? Great post, livin' the good life.
Posted By: paddlejon Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Good picture and looks like a good season.

We did the same here in Alabama and Kentucky. Beats pissing and moaning on the inter web!

Congrats

BTW, probably wouldn’t hurt some of the resident pisser and moaners on here to get out a bit
Posted By: efw Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
PERIOD!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You really need to reassess your perspective.
Posted By: Raeford Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 11/30/20
Thanks for reminding us that life goes on, pandemic or no!
Posted By: bwinters Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 12/11/20
Excellent post and season! You have it made - family, hunting, living in the west. Enjoy your kids while you're still "cool". There will come a time when you ain't cool............ eek
Posted By: bwinters Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 12/11/20
PERIOD!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Are you kidding me?????

I rarely ever rant but a guy posts a bunch of feel good pics and experiences making the best of a crappy year and you come up with this BS? How about we celebrate the fact that he has his priorities in order, took his kids/family outdoors, bagged some table fare, and looks to have thoroughly enjoyed his time outdoors with his family. We have enough gloom and doom in the world.

I'd much rather say thank you to exbio for sharing a slice of normalcy and finding a bit of sanity in this year.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 12/12/20
Thank you bwinters
Posted By: hanco Re: 2020 wasn't so bad - 12/12/20
Good post, we have all been heathy and working. I’m thankful for that.
© 24hourcampfire