Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Costco has dropped them. A while back, in one of our periodic threads about razors, several members said that they're good razors at a good price. I didn't need any at the time but now I do. I found that the store has dropped them and only refills are available online. I asked a stocker what happened to them and he said they apparently weren't selling so Costco dropped them.
Posted By: deflave Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Sunsabitches.
Costco only cares about money.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

The dirty bastards.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
I’ve noticed that’s been a trend.... all my life, come to think if it.

Don’t worry, Kamela Biden will fix it.
I've been watching for their $12.99 blue jeans, haven't seen them all year. Hope they did not drop them.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
I joined that Dollar Shave Club about 3 years ago. I don't have an opinion on whether they are good or not but they have sent me so many of those damn things, I won't need a buy a razor for 5 years.

Speaking of Costco making money, I watched a video about them and how they make their money. While they certainly return a profit from their products, its pretty low. For example, Whole Foods and Dollar General has about a 30% profit margin, Wal-Mart is around 23% and Costco comes in around 11%

They rely heavily on the membership fees to drive their profits which allows them to sell a roasted chicken for $5. Also, if you look, you'll notice they seldom have more than one kind of a product, like that 64oz box of Cheezits. They only carry that size and they only carry that brand if possible, and there is no guarantee they will have it the next time you come in because they negotiate on volume sales to get the price point they want. If they don't get it, they stop carrying it.
If you find some clothes that you like, buy a LOT of them because when they're gone, you'll never see them again. A couple years ago they had long sleeved merino t-shirts for about $20. I bought 8 of them and I'm glad I did. They're long gone in the store. It seems like the only thing they keep selling year after year is their merino socks.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
These are very gentle on my balls. You should give them a try.

https://www.schick.com/us/en/men/razor-and-blades/refillable-razors/quattro%c2%ae-titanium-razor/p/QFM-Ti-Razor
Posted By: sse Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
lemme know when they bring back v-neck t-shirts, the best
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Mother fuggers.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Costco is run by an anti gun liberal Billionaire here is the Seattle area.

General Mills took an $8B write down on Gillette after the "toxic masculinity" ads.
maybe 'community organizers' should lay waste to the HQ...he can rebuild
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you find some clothes that you like, buy a LOT of them because when they're gone, you'll never see them again. A couple years ago they had long sleeved merino t-shirts for about $20. I bought 8 of them and I'm glad I did. They're long gone in the store. It seems like the only thing they keep selling year after year is their merino socks.

Truth.

It's not just Costco. Half the crap I have stored in our modest house was acquired because of the difficulty or uncertainty of being able to replace it. With clothes, it's because anything that fits and looks right on a mature man is no longer available, having been replaced by millennial crap, skinny pants being but one example. And try buying a quality sweat shirt that isn't a hoodie.

I was looking to replace a favorite sweater and it was no longer available, but I found one on Ebay, described as a "grandpa sweater".

Paul
Originally Posted by Cluggins

https://www.schick.com/us/en/men/razor-and-blades/refillable-razors/quattro%c2%ae-titanium-razor/p/QFM-Ti-Razor
Wasn't that a hillbilly song from back in the seventies? "Gentle on My Balls"? Mac Davis or Bobby Baer or some other hick singer?
No shixt? [bleep] uc kers! What brand and type panty hose do you recommend?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Can someone post a picture of a Kirkland razor?
Posted By: joken2 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20

My biggest issue with products I like is not so much that a retailer(s) quit stocking, but the manufacturers start trying to reduce production cost and increase profits by using cheaper materials, cutting processes and exporting production offshore lessening the quality and longevity.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Wilkinsons!!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
I'm totally happy with my Harry's razors. You can schedule how many refills you want them to send, and when. If you want to, you can delay a shipment. The razor itself is very comfortable to hold, has a non-slip grip, and comes with a protective travel cover. The blades themselves are German-made, stay sharp, cut clean and have a separate trim blade on the back for sideburns or tough-to-get-to places like right up under your nostrils. I like them so much I bought one just for travel.

I shave about every other day, and change blades once a month - well before I need to. Blades are about $2 each. If you run short for some reason, you can get blades (or full sets) at WalMart.
I wish I was man enough.[Linked Image from img1.etsystatic.com]
Posted By: tzone Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20

They're a business. WTF are they supposed to care about? LMAO
Posted By: smarquez Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by centershot
I've been watching for their $12.99 blue jeans, haven't seen them all year. Hope they did not drop them.

I think sometimes it's a regional thing. I was in my Costco 2 weeks ago and they had jeans.

Now, we used to buy the Foster Farms chicken thighs and those packs had 3-4 decent sized thighs. Those were dropped for the Kirkland line of thighs. They come with 6-7 of what look like pigeon thighs. Being empty nesters now our Costco bill has dropped and now there seems to be less reason to bother with Costco.
I quit shaving 40 years ago, and don’t need no stinking razors. 😜
About a month ago I bought 50 Gillette Silver Blues
And 100 Voskhods.

I think they cost around $25 to my door.

A blade lasts me 1-2 weeks, so I'm good for a while.
Posted By: mathman Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
I can't imagine getting the mileage out of a razor blade that some report here.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
they have a big display of harrys at my store...the kirkland brand i did not care for at all
Posted By: shootAI Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by tzone

Not a Costco fanboy but, what a concept. Lol. If every business did what 24hrCF wanted they would be dead and gone. Costco often drops a lot of popular products but it has to be a profit or supply reason if they are in fact popular region wide.
I encourage all complainers to open a huge store in which you carry only products that don't sell.
Rock, you mean take up farming? laugh
I'm not a wishful thinker. So, no.
George Soros owns the Kirkland brand.

He demanded that Kirkland add poison to the blades that Kirkland sends to President Trump.

Kirkland CEO Danial Materson refused... saying "President Trump is a fantastic President and deserves to look his best." "Michele Obama however, is hard on our razors... he complains to us all the time about snagging leg stubble."

Soros was unavailable for further comment.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Get the cheap ones at Dollar Tree

12 for a dolla
Posted By: Teal Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
In the last 6 years, I've spent a total of 50 dollars on blades, soap for shaving and I shave daily.

Double edge for the win.

The Costco in Fairbanks had those shirts last winter. Never saw them in the Anchorage store.
Originally Posted by mathman

Well, my whiskers aren't real coarse, and I shave 2-3 times a week.
And blades very some.

A good blade, 2 shaves a week, 2 weeks is only 4 shaves.

A bad blade.
I have given up one one before a shave is done.
Not often, but it happens.
Sometimes palm stripping (the blade) helps, other are just junk.
Posted By: JPro Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
I buy the disposable green 3-blade Schicks these days. With a beard, I only shave my throat/neck area every other day, plus my cheekbone area every day. One razor lasts me a good 3 weeks with no nicks. I do shave in the shower where everything is good and hot, so maybe that helps. One good thing about your beard getting to be mostly gray is that your throat whiskers don't have to be cut every day anymore. They're getting more invisible by the day.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

No woman wants that brillo pad in her mouth when she tongue dances your taint and balls.

No woman wants that brillo pad in her mouth when she tongue dances your taint and balls.

He’s been married 4 times

You could be onto something.
The best thing I ever did regarding razors and shaving was to purchase an old Schick Injector off Et sy and order a pack of single edge injector blades, which just so happen to fit the skiver I use for my leather work.
I dropped the Dollar Shave Club earlier in the year when they voiced support for BLM.
Posted By: antlers Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Get the cheap ones at Dollar Tree. 12 for a dolla.
lol

Some dudes make a ceremony out of shaving; just like some dudes make a ceremony outta cleaning a rifle.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
I used to shave my testicles with a razor blade. But since I got Parkinson's,
I don't have the balls to do it anymore.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I encourage all complainers to open a huge store in which you carry only products that don't sell.

Another Sears Roebuck??
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by joken2

My biggest issue with products I like is not so much that a retailer(s) quit stocking, but the manufacturers start trying to reduce production cost and increase profits by using cheaper materials, cutting processes and exporting production offshore lessening the quality and longevity.

Even worse is the dang candy bar companies turning a 1.75 oz Three Musketeers into a 1.5 oz bar and selling it at the same price............and expecting smart folks not to notice.
Try buying a half gallon of ice cream
Originally Posted by ironbender

The Costco in Fairbanks had those shirts last winter. Never saw them in the Anchorage store.

That's the deal that pisses me off the most about Costco. Some products are stocked by manager request, others by Corporate decision makers and mostly they don't always make sense.

When my wife lived in the Fresno CA area and I lived in far E WA, I could get some organic raisins in WA but the local Fresno store didn't have them. And the raisins were boxed about a 15 minute drive from the Fresno store.

I shop online there now, as the nearest is about 3 hrs away whichever direction I go. Ordered something one time only to find out when I got the the checkout stage that it "isn't available" in my zip code area. Then, I got a few things last night and they are available now. It's 2020, almost 2021 now. Shouldn't be too difficult to sell whatever they sell in any area in this online shopping world we have today.

Them ordering in large quantities and getting their pricepoint helps and hurts the consumer. I can no longer find Altoids online or on the shelf if I get to a real store. They must have asked for too big a price cut or Altoids no longer wanted to give them the break. They're still available at a higher cost elsewhere though.

Fuggin' capitalist communists.Fugginupeveryfugginthing.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Try buying a half gallon of ice cream

Wife brought some "1/2 gallon" ice creams home a week or two back. I looked, no longer 1/2 gallon.

What next, a gallon of milk is going to be a pint short?
I remember when all the 12 ounce "pounds" of coffee and bacon started appearing.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
How about a "pound" of bacon?

These days you really have to check the labels, and figure the price per unit.
Originally Posted by shootAI
Originally Posted by tzone

Not a Costco fanboy but, what a concept. Lol. If every business did what 24hrCF wanted they would be dead and gone. Costco often drops a lot of popular products but it has to be a profit or supply reason if they are in fact popular region wide.

Exactly.
I remember when all the 12 ounce "pounds" of coffee and bacon started appearing.

Thats why Folgers is dead to me.

They said at the time that they were the only coffee company to not raise their price.

As most of America thinks that a third pounder is smaller than a quarter pounder......Folgers apparently got away with it.
Folgers should be dead anyway to someone who likes coffee.
Originally Posted by P_Weed

grin grin grin
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

They said at the time that they were the only coffee company to not raise their price.

As most of America thinks that a third pounder is smaller than a quarter pounder......Folgers apparently got away with it.

Well, three is smaller than four.................................

the last time I checked anyway.

Are they teaching differently in the commie skules now? wink
Almost every diary shortened ice cream ten or more years ago.
They use the two piece containers, so it was easy to slightly reduce
circumference and base.

It looks like 1/2 gallon, but it ain't.

I always buy an extra large coffee on the way to work.
Add it to what's in my mug, and drink what's left first.

One morning I bought a large and an extra large. I figured it would
take all the large, and some of th xlarge to fill my cup.

Nope. The large filled it.

Hmmm.
So, I dumped the xtra into the large.
Only about 1 inch left.
Hmmm.

The extra is quite a bit taller,
But tapered different and skinnier.
Anybody that doesn't have a couple thousand razors already is a fugking idiot. How could you not see this coming? No sympathy. I personally of enough razors for myself and my grandchildren.

Sheesh!
Hahahaha!

Are you holding into the wind?
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Anybody that doesn't have a couple thousand razors already is a fugking idiot. How could you not see this coming? No sympathy. I personally of enough razors for myself and my grandchildren.

Sheesh!

I haven't seen a razor in 30 years.

Oh wait, make that 40.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Sheesh!

Oh wait, make that 40.

Weren't you clean shaven when you retired from Johns Mansville in '57?

MS finally got a Costco. Went in awhile back to check it out.

That had some heavy flannel shirts on sale for $12.
👍👍.

Sams club is the same way. If you find something you like. Better get it while you can. They may have a bunch today. Them clearance them out tomorrow. On to the next thing.
Posted By: skeen Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20

Sheesh!

Ahhahahah laugh

That was good.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Folgers should be dead anyway to someone who likes coffee.

Folgers is poor quality coffee. Maxwell House is worse.
Mixing a little bit of cheep Espresso with a modestly priced Arabica is one way to make decent coffee with a kick.

Posted By: night_owl Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
I conserve fancy razor blades by using cheap Bic as a "roughing" tool.
Razor blades corrode faster than they wear dull.
Who is shaving right now anyway?

It’s November and it’s deer season.
If you find some clothes that you like, buy a LOT of them because when they're gone, you'll never see them again.

That's always been true of clothes for any retailer or brand even, not just Costco. Same goes for guns, bullets and the like.

Sheesh!

Your grandchildren shave? Just how old are ya?

Me. Corporate gig and lots of zoom calls as we're WFH.

What kind of can do you use for the nightcrawlers?

Hills Bros?

Sheesh!

Oh wait, make that 40.

Weren't you clean shaven when you retired from Johns Mansville in '57?

Dude, that's like goin' on 70 years or something. I can't figure out without the calcumalater, the bestos gots to my brain too I think.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hills Bros?

Folgers and Kirkland.
Originally Posted by Teal

You're WFH (a new acronym? WTF?) and Corporate still demands you shave?

I'd find another job. grin

But, what do I know, I still live in Kommiefornina. blush
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hills Bros?

Folgers and Kirkland.

Them plastic Folgers "cans" make a decent bailer for a small boat too. Built in handles for grabbing them. And they don't rust if you leave them in the bottom of the boat.
Hahahaha!

I'm more a pizzin into the wind type.

I even buy replacement packs for razors I don't have. By the cart full. Can you believe they don't limit it? Anybody that doesn't is fugking retarded.

You're WFH (a new acronym? WTF?) and Corporate still demands you shave?

I'd find another job. grin

But, what do I know, I still live in Kommiefornina. blush

WFH - work from home

Ideally, it's exactly like work in the office except you're not co-located.

They don't make me but it's a point of professional pride when dealing with hundreds of millions of dollars not to look like it's playoff hockey. As cool as that is. I'd be ok with another job but pickings are slim...
Hahahaha!

I even buy replacement packs for razors I don't have. By the cart full. Can you believe they don't limit it? Anybody that doesn't is fugking retarded.

I have a job interview tomorrow and am out of razors.

Some Capitalist bought all they had at the store to simply resell them.

Could you spare a razor Sir? I have kids to feed.

TEal,

just funnin with you. I figured out your WFH deal and was joking about "another" acronym. Every year new ones. shocked

Glad you work in a profitable business, even if it does require shaving to fit in somewhat. Actually, I'm glad you're working as too many are not.

I've had the playoff beard thing going on since 1979 or so. Shaving twice a day when younger, for the times I was lucky enough to have a "date" didn't suit me much. So I determined even though capable of working in the banking industry, or real estate (late '70's) or some other trade that required a fresh face, it wasn't going to be me they hired.
Sure, at 8 times what I paid yesterday, you pay shipping. I hired a guy to buy all the razors on the hi-line too so I could brag on here about how many razors I have and laugh at the retards that bought other things.

I'm a capitalist.
Sure, at 8 times what I paid yesterday, you pay shipping. I hired a guy to buy all the razors on the hi-line too so I could brag on here about how many razors I have and laugh at the retards that bought other things.

I'm a capitalist.

Could I trade you our last chicken? Our milk cow went dry a few weeks ago and little Johnny has the fever....
Hahahaha!

I have a job interview tomorrow and am out of razors.

Some Capitalist bought all they had at the store to simply resell them.

Could you spare a razor Sir? I have kids to feed.

That pit bull on the string next to you on the street corner looks like it could use a bag of Alpo too.
The title to that Chevy with the big block will do. I'll hold it till you can come up with the scratch. I'm a compassionate capitalist.
TEal,

just funnin with you. I figured out your WFH deal and was joking about "another" acronym. Every year new ones. shocked

Glad you work in a profitable business, even if it does require shaving to fit in somewhat. Actually, I'm glad you're working as too many are not.

I've had the playoff beard thing going on since 1979 or so. Shaving twice a day when younger, for the times I was lucky enough to have a "date" didn't suit me much. So I determined even though capable of working in the banking industry, or real estate (late '70's) or some other trade that required a fresh face, it wasn't going to be me they hired.

Transportation's been one hellova weird year. I'm no longer on the carrier end but shipper and we make TP so....

I always said 2018 was the wildest ride in transportation I'll ever see - 2020 blew that out of the park by May.

Right now - based on tender volume, more loads were accepted by carriers on 11/25 than ANY day in 2018 or 2019 and after Thanksgiving, we're seeing volumes 13% higher than 2019. Not for my business but the entire industry.

Oh and driver count is about where it was back in Sep 2012. 2018 was a monster bull run for freight. Added 20,000 drivers that year to the industry. We've lose 30,000 drivers from that same industry in the past 6 months.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by CashisKing
George Soros owns the Kirkland brand.

He demanded that Kirkland add poison to the blades that Kirkland sends to President Trump.

Kirkland CEO Danial Materson refused... saying "President Trump is a fantastic President and deserves to look his best." "Michele Obama however, is hard on our razors... he complains to us all the time about snagging leg stubble."

Soros was unavailable for further comment.

I love the plot.
I could flesh it out with dramatic dialog, and do the emotional voices.

Soros: SHAVE with my razors... and BURN forever! HA HA HA
Princes Ivanka: Help me, Obi-Don. You're my only hope.
Originally Posted by skeen

Sheesh!

Ahhahahah laugh

That was good.

no surprise that mister TP hoarder likes that
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20

It's not all that hard to make them last, the key is dry them well as soon as your done shaving. Since I started drying them I have had blades last up to 3 months using them twice a week.
It's Cyber Monday, order in bulk:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/bulk-de-safety-razor-blades

https://www.fendrihan.com/collections/cyber-monday
Posted By: deflave Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Hey Teal,

Good to see you back.

XOXO,
Dave
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Fireballz likes Costco tampons . 😂😂
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 11/30/20
Originally Posted by P_Weed

The Winna!😛
But what does he want with Parkinson's balls?
Originally Posted by deflave
Hey Teal,

Good to see you back.

XOXO,
Dave

Hey Flave - sorta good to be back...
Posted By: dassa Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Hey Teal. You still at Schneider?
Posted By: OldHat Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
I use women's razors. They work best.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20

Do you shave your ass too?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by Clarkm

General Mills took an $8B write down on Gillette after the "toxic masculinity" ads.

Procter & Gamble owns Gillette, not General Mills.
Posted By: Teal Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by dassa

Negative. Left there a little over a year ago.
Posted By: deflave Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Hey Teal,

Good to see you back.

XOXO,
Dave

Hey Flave - sorta good to be back...

That’s what my therapist says.

I thought you only pounded them out under the watchful eye of Vulcan with hammer, anvil and forge. Save your pizz for quenching 'em ... smile

Probably a good move.
Spent 5 years pushing a Pumpkin.
Wasn't the worst, sure wasn't the best.

I'm starting with them Monday.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Uh oh, I had a Biden moment.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

I thought you only pounded them out under the watchful eye of Vulcan with hammer, anvil and forge. Save your pizz for quenching 'em ... smile

That's for what I USE. What I keep on hand for trade bait is another matter.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20

Driver or office type?

I never drove for them, worked in operations, M&R, and as a quality/business analyst in their logistics/3PL division.

They are certainly big at 5 billion. Will be interesting to see what their partnership with Jeff Silver and Mastery might do for Logistics and then the rest of the company. I think Erin VanZeeland would be an excellent choice to replace Mark Rourke as CEO when/if he retires.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20

Gee Whiz, the idea that Cosco would want to make money on their investment, how selfish

Yours did not seem to mind so much
Posted By: doubletap Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20

Isn't that the purpose of a business
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not a subscriber to the "1st in things that dont count club".

LOL!!!

Driver or office type?

I never drove for them, worked in operations, M&R, and as a quality/business analyst in their logistics/3PL division.

They are certainly big at 5 billion. Will be interesting to see what their partnership with Jeff Silver and Mastery might do for Logistics and then the rest of the company. I think Erin VanZeeland would be an excellent choice to replace Mark Rourke as CEO when/if he retires.

Driver. Part of why I applied with them was stuff you posted several years ago about how good they are.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Wasn't that a hillbilly song from back in the seventies? "Gentle on My Balls"? Mac Davis or Bobby Baer or some other hick singer?

Glen Campbell

Capitalism will be the death of this great country! Oh wait.......

In all seriousness though I quit shopping at Walmart almost entirely because I’ve worked with enough of their employees over the years that I have seen all they care about is the profit margin and nothing about the employees. I don’t shop at costco and don’t have one locally so can’t speak to how they treat their employees. Walmart is a plague on this country and I don’t say that flippantly.

MM

Driver or office type?

Driver. Part of why I applied with them was stuff you posted several years ago about how good they are.

The dirty secret is most driving jobs are the same - place to place. You're going to deal with traffic, crappy receivers, good receivers, lot lizards and the like - no matter whose name is on the door.

I will say - from what I saw - Schneider was quicker to take care of the driver rather than the customer than any other carrier I've worked with/for. If you really need something - they'll usually get it done.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

Capitalism will be the death of this great country! Oh wait.......

In all seriousness though I quit shopping at Walmart almost entirely because I’ve worked with enough of their employees over the years that I have seen all they care about is the profit margin and nothing about the employees. I don’t shop at costco and don’t have one locally so can’t speak to how they treat their employees. Walmart is a plague on this country and I don’t say that flippantly.

MM

Costco is generally considered a good place to work for retail labor. They pay their employees a noticeable bit more than other big retailers and offer benefits - they believe that paying the employees better results in a better overall customer experience.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Businesses are in business to make money. Businesses that don't make money go out of business.

Ones that make more can treat their employees better. Ones that go out of business can't help their ex-employees.

It may be different elsewhere but I see Now Hiring signs literally everywhere here. If someone is unhappy with their blue vest, there's one obvious solution.

I shop more at WalMart than Costco mainly because of the product size at Costco - retired couples don't need a 20-pound box of hamburger. But I do like Costco.
Posted By: gremcat Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Razor blades corrode faster than they wear dull.

I use Gillette Mach whatever and though my Corp gig doesn’t require clean shaven a prior Exec that dragged me through 3-4 Orgs did. I burn through 1 a week and by dinner look like most guys do 3 days in. I’ve been trying to clean the blade with rubbing alcohol before putting it away as a pseudo experiment to see if it adds longevity. Of course, I went back to the Cast Away look so it’s only cleaning up the edges. A pack of 12 is like $60-80 and my oldest seems to use one every shave even though he’s only got a little dirt growing at this point.

I’ve thought of going to the straight shave or even the shavette/sideways razor to start but can just see the stitches.
Posted By: gremcat Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
On Costco, don’t worry, the razor manufacturer is probably sick of losing money selling to them. They are less worried about “Churn”. Give it 6 mos and they’ll either be back or they’ll slightly modify the design to force you into a new handle etc. and Costco will mark them up as improved but pay a few shekels less for them.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20
grem, you REALLY need to try Harry's. $6 per blade? That's nuts. LINK
Posted By: slumlord Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20

I shop more at WalMart than Costco mainly because of the product size at Costco - retired couples don't need a 20-pound box of hamburger. But I do like Costco.

That’s why people own freezers.

Take 2 out, grill them. Then you still have 78 left.

Keeps old people off the road.
Businesses are in business to make money. Businesses that don't make money go out of business.

Ones that make more can treat their employees better. Ones that go out of business can't help their ex-employees.

It may be different elsewhere but I see Now Hiring signs literally everywhere here. If someone is unhappy with their blue vest, there's one obvious solution.

I shopped Costco for decades. My parents must have been two of their original customers. Lol.

I have a Neighborhood Walmart near me. Covers most of my needs. Aldi fills in the gaps. Publix on the ends for Bogos.

As far as I can tell, and speaking with employees, nobody got laid off at the Neighborhood Walmart during the Chin plandemic. In fact, I see many more new employees in the store now.

Hopefully, they've done some work on their treatment of employees with regard to benefits.
Retired folks forget.......then they have 4 boxes of 78 when the kids are setting up for the estate sale.

That’s why people own freezers.

Take 2 out, grill them. Then you still have 78 left.

Posted By: smokepole Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/01/20

It's OK if they drive golf carts and don't back out of the driveway.
Costco still isn't giving free samples. There's no incentive to go there now.
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Uh oh, I had a Biden moment.

NO worries. You dint break your ankle.
WalMart only cares about money.

I shop more at WalMart than Costco mainly because of the product size at Costco - retired couples don't need a 20-pound box of hamburger.

Driver or office type?

The dirty secret is most driving jobs are the same - place to place. You're going to deal with traffic, crappy receivers, good receivers, lot lizards and the like - no matter whose name is on the door.

I will say - from what I saw - Schneider was quicker to take care of the driver rather than the customer than any other carrier I've worked with/for. If you really need something - they'll usually get it done.

Not sure how long you were with them Teal, I was there from 1/91 until 2/96.
Driver, Driver Trainer, and Ops Support at the Harrisburg facility for 2 different
quarters. I never once felt they cared more for me than any customer.
Disappointing, in a way, but it's business. My job was to make the costumers
happy, not make me happy.

They were focused on growing then. Every business meeting was more focused
on market share than return on capital. We were at 14,000 drivers and only wanted
to be bigger. Also it seemed that the focus was on government funded training,
More than long term drivers.

It seems to me a lot of that has changed in the last decade or so. I see
they have actually shrunk in size quite a bit, and seem more interested in
having experienced drivers than in having cheap ones.

That said, I called them on my 21st birthday. Nobody hired at that age
without experience, but they did. Sure, it benefited them, but me too.
4 months later I had a CDL and was off to work. Made decent money
for 5 years. Darn good for someone like me from around here.

They were among the first to use satellite communications, which was
controversial at the time. I loved it for almost 4 of those years. I did my
job, and it only benefited me. Then, they started tracking us for compliance
purposes. That affected income and home time. Not good.
Today, with E-logs, it doesn't matter.

Dassa,
You experienced or new?
If new, you are probably going to get some of the better training in the business.
Unless things have changed, you will be taught things other companies won't
even want you to know. Simple mechanical fixes to common issues, things that are
much better handled by you than by looking for help.

I never heard that.
Good to hear.
Did they can Grey Worldwide? The ad agency that came up with it?
I was there 2008-13 and then 18/19.

I saw driver business leaders tell them to park the truck, grab an uber and fly home - all on company dime, to meet promises. I saw load after load get missed because we prioritized the driver being home rather than one last load. Uber bills to get drivers around were in the millions. I saw them rent cars for drivers to drive home - company dime. Not once but almost daily. I took a lot of phone calls from pissed off CSR's about missed freight because we had drivers home instead of on the road - at driver's request.

Oddly enough - when I was there in 08-13, worked in M&R and we couldn't get drivers to do ANY minor mechanical work. "I drive, I don't work on them - send service" and they'd sit, not making money for 3 hours till a service truck could get to them and put on a new fuel filter. 10 minute job that would have had them rolling quick.

The number of drivers that didn't even have a flashlight with them on the road would astound you.

Just my experiences - later. I'd say the drivers of your/my generation are few and far between now. Hell they complain if a load's over 28k lbs. Not the company, the driver, because they don't like driving heavy.
Wow!

Things have changed.

Some of the stuff, if we HAD been there at the same time, we might have saw different.
That happens depending in your viewing position. Bjt i only knew of them sending
people home that way was Christmas. That was a big deal and they busted butt to
get everyone at least 24 hours at home. Except operations. One of my times
working in Carlisle was Christmas 1993. I had to stay there, and actually worked
quite a few extra hours to let a local guy with a family go home.

The mechanical?

We had to actually demonstrate or explain step by step, at the truck and pointing,
how to,

Adjust both type of slack adjusters we used.
Change fuel filters.
Bypass the air dryer,
Bypass the fuel/water seperater
Bypass the fuel shutoff and cgange throttle springs on a Cummins
The 4-way flasher (boy did we use them crawling uphills)
Free up frozen brakes
Throw chains. (East coast guys didn't have them, I scrounged some😁)
Change every light bulb on the unit except the top of the trailer.
And carry whatever was need to do that.

None of this as a big deal to me. I came from a farming/logging/mechanical background.

It saddens me they aren't teaching that stuff anymore.
I can't fathom anyone wanting to sit and wait for help when they
could get their hands dirty and get rolling in 10 minutes.

War story alert!
Another guy and I were in Brownsville looking for empty trailers late one night.
He found his, I couldn't find one.
So I rode around in the facility, found one at a dock that sounded empty,
And took it. (We had waited all day in Laredo for empties to come back from Mexico
and I had had enough. Was almost to Houston before I sent the message)

Anyway, his trailer had 0, none, no not a single lightbulb.
The Mexicans had stolen them all.
So we get in our bulb stashed.
We didn't have enough of the right ones, but they all had the same connections
but different configurations. A little knife work, duct tape, and he
Had some lights on all three sides and one brake light.

It worked to drive toward Houston until we got to a truck stop to buy the
right ones.
Posted By: dassa Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/02/20

Driver or office type?

I'm actually on a dedicated run hauling for home depot. All drop and hook. I've been driving for thirty years, and I've actually worked for some good companies.

Driver or office type?

I'm actually on a dedicated run hauling for home depot. All drop and hook. I've been driving for thirty years, and I've actually worked for some good companies.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Driver or office type?

Not sure how long you were with them Teal, I was there from 1/91 until 2/96.
Driver, Driver Trainer, and Ops Support at the Harrisburg facility for 2 different
quarters. I never once felt they cared more for me than any customer.
Disappointing, in a way, but it's business. My job was to make the costumers
happy, not make me happy.

They were focused on growing then. Every business meeting was more focused
on market share than return on capital. We were at 14,000 drivers and only wanted
to be bigger. Also it seemed that the focus was on government funded training,
More than long term drivers.

It seems to me a lot of that has changed in the last decade or so. I see
they have actually shrunk in size quite a bit, and seem more interested in
having experienced drivers than in having cheap ones.

That said, I called them on my 21st birthday. Nobody hired at that age
without experience, but they did. Sure, it benefited them, but me too.
4 months later I had a CDL and was off to work. Made decent money
for 5 years. Darn good for someone like me from around here.

They were among the first to use satellite communications, which was
controversial at the time. I loved it for almost 4 of those years. I did my
job, and it only benefited me. Then, they started tracking us for compliance
purposes. That affected income and home time. Not good.
Today, with E-logs, it doesn't matter.

Dassa,
You experienced or new?
If new, you are probably going to get some of the better training in the business.
Unless things have changed, you will be taught things other companies won't
even want you to know. Simple mechanical fixes to common issues, things that are
much better handled by you than by looking for help.

Old, way too old.
Posted By: Teal Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/02/20
Dassa - you'll be fine then sir! I've just seen so many drivers hop from carrier to carrier, not realizing it was the job itself they weren't suited for. Drop/hook for Home Depot is a good gig.

Dillion, Easter of 2019, basically all of ops/planning worked. Software upgrade. I wasn't a fan of that one. Hitting the office at 0500 Easter to babysit systems. At the time I was a Sr. Area planning manager. Oversaw the 6 managers that planned freight for the west.
Teal, I've been driving for a certain company for almost 21 years. Over Thanksgiving, a new dispatcher completely fugged up my route, and I told our boss that the guy was a jack ass. When I told the Schneider recruiter that, he laughed and said he probably was.
Posted By: Teal Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/02/20
I believe it.

Too many people in transportation front offices who've never bumped a dock. Across the industry.

Fairly certain that in my current co, I'm the only one who has. Definitely the only one with a current CDL.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Kirkland razors, bye bye - 12/02/20
The original Costco in Kirkland, where my wife shops, is like a journey into the 3rd world.

Most people on the East side [of the Seattle area] are white or Asian... but at costco the customers seem to be 90% immigrants, a good fraction from India wearing non Western garb.

I hate shopping there, as it is so crowded [shopping cart traffic jam], but one interesting thing is how many employees are working at cooking chickens. There seem to be a dozen actively working behind the glass.
I believe it.

Too many people in transportation front offices who've never bumped a dock. Across the industry.

Fairly certain that in my current co, I'm the only one who has. Definitely the only one with a current CDL.

I often said that Schnieder should have required every Prospective STL to go througn the driver
training and spend 6 months driving as part of their work training.

I know a bunch of the then only college graduate/ex military officers (which is all they hired)
would have had a fit. But...If you are too good for that job, you shouldn't boss the guy who does it. Don't know if you ever heard the name Kenny Butler. He was one of few drivers
in management at Carlisle. An absolute first class guy. Every one wanted on his
board. But like all the good ones, he moved up. The worthless flotsam, the floated
around forever.

Anyway, at that time I don't think they really wanted sympathetic managers.
They thrived on the turnover and constant supply of lower paid and partly
subsidized drivers. The trouble Swift had changed some minds.

You mentioned software changes.
The story I told took place after Thanksgiving in 1991, I think.
There had just been a huge system change, and everything was FUBAR.
Wait times for dispatch, and customer service were horrible.
Took about 3 weeks to get it right.
© 24hourcampfire