https://www.facebook.com/ww1incolour/photos/a.450835521726972/2312990595511446/
Posted By: HawkI Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
Thanks.

WWI is fascinating.

Its still going on today.....
Posted By: jnyork Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
So much agony and death for so little .
Posted By: jpb Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20

These pictures are really excellent, Roger -- thanks for posting them!

The colorization done VERY well. Furthermore, unlike most collections of photographs of this war, there is very precise technical information about most pictures (e.g. what model of rifle, machine gun, the nationality and unit of the soldiers, etc.)

John
Posted By: rong Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
Good stuff,thanks for sharing that.
Posted By: OldHat Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
How in the world did the British figure those pancake helmets wee okay for combat. They kept the rain off your ears. That's it.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
Great pictures and interesting reading, thanks. 👍
Posted By: 5sdad Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
Fascinating - thanks.
Posted By: copperking81 Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
Those are great photos. I love photos from the era but in particular the WWI color photos.

Has anyone seen "They Shall Not Grow Old"? I just happened to run across a trailer for it yesterday on YouTube. I haven't seen it yet but plan to. It has great reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJeQfSSa9DE
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
Those photos were amazing. Thank you for posting.
Posted By: Osky Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/07/20
Any way to see them if you do not do fools book?

Osky
Posted By: joken2 Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20

Originally Posted by Osky
Any way to see them if you do not do fools book?

Osky

You don't have to be a Facebook member or register to see the photos in the OPs link.
Posted By: deflave Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
If you have an interest in WWI check out Gallipoli on Prime.

It's an outstanding series.

Cool pics, stx.
Posted By: gunzo Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
Thanks Roger.
Posted By: Scotty Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
Great picture thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Quak Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
Wow...just wow
Posted By: DMc Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
That was an awesome pictorial. You could almost feel like you were there. One thing that came to mind as I poured over all these photos, was practically all of the soldiers wrapped their lower pant legs. I've never heard a discussion about this and wonder why this was done. Like the dress code was "knickers".
Posted By: dan_oz Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by OldHat
How in the world did the British figure those pancake helmets wee okay for combat. They kept the rain off your ears. That's it.

They weren't for "combat", they were to protect troops sheltering in trenches from the downward-directed shrapnel of shells exploding overhead, which was a comparatively new thing in warfare. The helmet had its drawbacks, but it entered service with a whole range of countries and stayed in service for a very long time. It was in US service until 1942.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by DMc
That was an awesome pictorial. You could almost feel like you were there. One thing that came to mind as I poured over all these photos, was practically all of the soldiers wrapped their lower pant legs. I've never heard a discussion about this and wonder why this was done. Like the dress code was "knickers".

Puttees. They were the fashion of the time, and had the advantages (like gaiters) of protecting your lower legs from bruises and such, and avoiding muddy or wet pants legs flapping around your ankles.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
Excellence pictures! My Grandfather was in WWI. I have his bayonet and round dog tag. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: DMc Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Excellence pictures! My Grandfather was in WWI. I have his bayonet and round dog tag. Thanks for posting.

My grandfather was in WWI also. He fought in France, yet that's all I know. I was too young to ask questions and he didn't talk about it freely. Even worse is he could have been in any of those pictures and I wouldn't know it. I only equate to his senior years.
Posted By: Seafire Re: WW1 Colourised Photos - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by OldHat

our guys wore the same helmets...

when I was in High School in the late 60s, we use to be able to go over into DC and buy them for $2.00 apiece at the Army Navy Stores...
© 24hourcampfire