Home
Posted By: Valsdad Hey Conrad, Geno Farmin' - 12/11/20

You big guys, Sam and yourself etc, don't get to have all the fun.

Farmin' with an industrial tractor. Maximum use of available resources. Our place came with a 200' x 200' "pasture". Haven't done anything with it. One previous tenant had a horseshoeing business I've been told and kept the customers horses there, or maybe it was his stock.

Neighbor came by a couple of summers ago with his brush hog and cut down what was in there. Grew back this past summer with mostly cheat and medusa head, some native bunch grasses, some tumble mustard, and the sagebrush was getting started.

I ripped it all up with the rippers in the box scraper. Made nice little furrows. Went and got a 50lb bag of rye as it seems to do well on dry land places around here according to the seed guy. Had thought about some winter wheat, but he said that's iffy if we don't get rain.

Seeded it with a hand held fertilizer spreader, a bit of a pain in the ass. Lifted up the rippers and used the box to drag it flat and cover the seed. We'll see in the spring how it comes up.

Leveled up some by doing it too. Nice dirt, told the wife I can do this every fall and give the dogs a nice place to run. Whippets would love it. Won't get up to full speed, but close.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And a crappy picture at sunset tonight, all done for now, supposed to get some moisture tomorrow and this weekend.:

Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Hey Conrad, Geno Farmin' - 12/11/20
[Linked Image from ]
Hahaha!

Nice one.

Cereal rye is one of the best soil builders there is.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Hey Conrad, Geno Farmin' - 12/11/20
Good evening Jim, ya get them cows and sheep moved today?

51 and dark down here @ 1:45am, humidity is sitting at 85% seems cold but I don't have the heat on and I'm naked
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Hey Conrad, Geno Farmin' - 12/11/20
Looks good Geno

We just seed drilled our discrows with 800# of Triticalia Monday, hoping the rain tomorrow night gives us a good soaking. I had to irrigate the vines Tuesday, they refuse to drop all their leaves and go to sleep until we need a harder frost.

I think I spy a sage rat in the background :-)

Hey your shed is a little short for your tractor...lol
Originally Posted by FatCity67
[Linked Image from ]

there's hope for you geno.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hey Conrad, Geno Farmin' - 12/11/20
I think that shed was used for the horse. I figured it would keep the seat dry but it's too short to back the dang thing in, so the engine and loader get to stay dry and I have to cover the seat with feed bags to keep it dry!
PS- farming video don't work!
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image from ]

there's hope for you geno.

Fats is my man.

I love that giffy.

Video?

What's that?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I think that shed was used for the horse. I figured it would keep the seat dry but it's too short to back the dang thing in, so the engine and loader get to stay dry and I have to cover the seat with feed bags to keep it dry!

Can't tip the seat forward?

Video?

What's that?

smile
I looked all over the dang thing and can't find a way.

The seat is shot, completely. Foam showing in about 60% of it. Looking for a place up here to reupholster it, haven't found one yet. Now going to have to wait as it's sometimes needed for snow removal on the driveway.
Don't anybody sell duct tape there?
Posted By: JeffA Re: Hey Conrad, Geno Farmin' - 12/11/20
Gorilla tape for seat reopolstry works best
It would look tacky on that pristine machine. laugh
goodnight folks.

I gotta get some shuteye.

Retirement is hard work, I need rest.
[Linked Image from ]

Fats is my man.

I love that giffy.

It don't show here.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: Hey Conrad, Geno Farmin' - 12/11/20
Looking good Geno. Would love to farm more on our place-now up to 33 acres but it's crappy N.Nev land canyon up over the mountain and down.

I'm sure glad I traded my couple of acres of 10' deep columbian loam in the N. Sac valley for what I now have but all the Californians have followed me here. Last frost and snow 6/11 first frost was probably third week of Oct. And that was a little late.

I know you know the drill in Modoc Co. Beautiful country.
Nice Geno!

Hope that comes up for you!

Was going to plant a field here in winter wheat, and fertilize it, in preparation for planting improved grass in the spring... No Go. Much too dry.

So now I have all the tools, and a barn full of wheat, waiting to be planted...

Post pics after it comes up! smile
rockin'

I'm just hoping I didn't get it in too late. And I have no idea what the coverage will turn out to be. I just hope it turns out to give less opportunity for the cheat and medusahead. I was worried if I didn't get it planted I'd have a bag of rye sitting there all winter as we're dude for 1-3 inches of snow tonight. And colder weather, highs in the 30's after that. It's been in the 50s daytimes lately so I could still work that topsoil.

It's all "hobby farmin'" anyway. I can't go broke on a $17 bag of seed and a couple of hours worth of diesel.

The deer might like it when it comes up too. Maybe put in for an archery tag next year and set up behind the tractor shed grin
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Looking good Geno. Would love to farm more on our place-now up to 33 acres but it's crappy N.Nev land canyon up over the mountain and down.

I'm sure glad I traded my couple of acres of 10' deep columbian loam in the N. Sac valley for what I now have but all the Californians have followed me here. Last frost and snow 6/11 first frost was probably third week of Oct. And that was a little late.

I know you know the drill in Modoc Co. Beautiful country.

We got lucky with this place J. Our house side of the seasonal creek is volcanic rock/ red clay/ and shallow hardpan. Of course, they were smart putting the house here, it's not in the flood area. The side with the field in it is all bottom land. All that working the dirt and I found one softball sized rock when I was I done. Not sure how deep the hardpan is, but I can sink a shovel and keep going without hitting any. Put some fruit trees in this past spring and didn't hit any going down about 2', so I'm happy.

I know what you mean about moving to an area you like, but having to deal with that weather. June 19 here for last frost and first frost was early Sept. I think I added it up to 81 frost free nights. Probably why grass hay, alfalfa, and beef are the biggest agriculture items here and why high tunnels are so popular.

Happy for you that you got away, but that Valley dirt is sure some good stuff, and being able to grow a palm tree means a whole lot of other stuff is an option too. If I lived down there I'd have my own olive trees for sure. I picked up a couple of supposedly cold tolerant pomegranate bushes this past spring, they're in winter mode now on the south side of the house. I'll know in the spring if they really are cold tolerant.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Hey Conrad, Geno Farmin' - 12/11/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

Nice one.

good for growing spawn on.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

Nice one.

good for growing spawn on.

shocked

laugh
© 24hourcampfire