Home
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tell me, how was that assembled. I got a few ideas..... laugh
Stacked like a log home. Still beautiful work.
Carefully?
Impressive.
Digital Dan;
Good evening to you sir, I hope all is well with you and those who matter to you.

While I've worked in the cabinet industry for 27 years and know my way around a few trick moves as far as making dovetail joints, I'm going to admit this one has me stumped.

When I tried to find other images of it, it took me to Slovenia and it doesn't surprise me that it's old world European, but I'm at a loss as to how they did it.

Thanks for the puzzle this evening sir, it's a good one!

All the best to you folks this Christmas Season Dan.

Dwayne
pretty cool, no idea how that was done.
I built a log home. Not like that. Yes impressive. I'm guessing corners were milled, not done by hand
Joinery used to be a trade - apprentice, journeyman, master. This is one of the masters who went on to become an artist.
that's pretty nice. i've played with wood a bit but nothing like that. looks like flat four sides and then they began
I'm sure it must of been a time consuming effort completed by a true craftsman.

There are only a couple ways I can conjure up of how it may have been accomplished but I'd have to take it apart to know for sure.
That's art.
Ok, that's just plain showing off. But its impressive as hell.
That's awesome looking joinery but I wonder if it will wick water and eventually promote rot?

Bill
Salty303;
Good evening to you sir, I trust all is well with you folks out west tonight and all those in your life are healthy.

Where I am going now is when we look at the end grain, they took a log, milled it flat, then did the fancy dovetail - which I've not quite got the bit figured out yet - and stacked one, then the next.

We can hardly see the joints on the flats so it looks like it's more than one dovetail per log, but it's not - I think?

Absolutely it's an impressive bit of joinery for sure! cool

All the best to you all this Christmas Salty.

Dwayne
The logs on the right have the dovetailing.The logs on the left are actually two pieces split.One on top ,the other on the bottom.That is a Scandinavian style log building.The split logs are so tight they look solid,but if you look close you can see where they are joined.
Back at you Dwayne the very best to you and yours.

Yeah.. all I could come up with is flat sawn oversized and then templates to trace out and slowly carve it out. As Huntz says we are most definitely looking at old world craftsmanship of some sort Scandinavian would make sense.
Originally Posted by Westman
That's awesome looking joinery but I wonder if it will wick water and eventually promote rot?

Bill

A little research showed me that the photo was of a 1800's cabin in Slovenia, I think the guy had his moisture issues figured out.

One thing we've accomplished here in America is having the most boring architecture on earth shy a few exceptions.

Early on there was some pretty cool masonry, brick and block work that stood out but that's now a lost trade that was probably accomplished by European tradesmen to start with.

We all basically all live in square boxes.
Originally Posted by RUM7
Stacked like a log home. Still beautiful work.

This...

No dovetail sliding at all.
Undoubtedly stacked, but it's the way the joint is cut that's mind boggling.
Paul Allen caught forty kinda of hell when he stepped outside the box to build his Experience Music Project structure in Seattle.

It's not square, it's not square they all yelled....

[Linked Image from zahner-wordpress-media.s3.amazonaws.com]

https://www.azahner.com/works/emp/
I agree with Huntz’s take on it. Regardless, it was done by a master. Slovenia it is...
Fancy dove tail corner stack.

Bet that took some time to do by hand.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Huntz
The logs on the right have the dovetailing.The logs on the left are actually two pieces split.One on top ,the other on the bottom.That is a Scandinavian style log building.The split logs are so tight they look solid,but if you look close you can see where they are joined.

Surely some pretty wood work.
Scandinavian I can see based on the way they stack wood.

Bit of patience required I imagine.
One side would slide into the other????

No. After looking again
Complex Joinery is not form the faint of heart. Like this joint is an optical illusion.

Here's another cool joint.

Beautiful craftsmanship.
Wish my uncle were still alive to show this stuff to. He very much enjoyed wood work.
Those are all pretty interesting.

And I thought this round bottom dovetail I found on the drawer of my sidetable was pretty cool. Drawer was getting loose so I took it out to glue it an found this:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I build log cabins with pretty, and tight dovetail notches.
But this guy is a real artist. Beautiful work!
With no knowledge of the interior angles, I think the ends were rotated into place. Does look quite solid.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Complex Joinery is not form the faint of heart. Like this joint is an optical illusion.

Dude has got some serious skills and those chisels are incredible. I wonder what a set of those would cost.
Nice job Fatcity. I was trying to figure out a way to annotate the picture, you beat me to it. You can see the individual piths and corresponding rings of each tree used for each log course. So like you pointed out, the construction is typical of a commonly stacked log home, albeit with significantly more attention to the joinery between the logs and at the corners.
I have vast experience in building log cabins. Most have been with logs flat on the side, and the dovetail notch. The dovetail notch is rather difficult to cut properly, but is mechanically very sound as each log locks the adjacent logs into position.
I also have build two cabins with round logs and the saddle notch. This notch is easy to cut and also a solid notch.
Both of these styles use chinking between the logs, as there is about a 1 inch air space between the logs. The house I live in is made this way with the dovetail notches, and it is, if I do say so myself, a beautiful cabin and snug and warm in the winter.

This guy is doing a complicated fancy dovetail notch, along with Scandavian full length scribing, In which each log is scribe to fit onto the log beneath. No chinking is used.
This guy is a real artist and a master of the trade. Beautiful work.

I would love to get in the time machine and work for a few weeks with this guy as an apprentice.
© 24hourcampfire