Home
Posted By: 10gaugemag Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Anybody ever messed with one of these? Actually seen one work and know how to operate it?

This one has an actual firebox, not electric like some I saw while doing a little research.

Found this wile cleaning my grandpas basement up.
With stack attached.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
That’s cool as all hell!!!! Bet it’s not hard to figger out!
I think it had a spanner wrench to open the end of the water tank, of course no telling where that is.

My main question is did it use a little fuel stick or what? It has a tiny metal trough that pulls out, looks like that's where you would lay your firewood.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
Hell use twigs and such! Bet they would work!
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
I know you used to be able to get little fuel tabs for them, probably still can. Maybe some of that gel fuel in a can would work, or pieces of Zip fire starter?
I remember them as a kid. Pretty cool, but it needed accessories to actually do something with it.
Saw something similar to that when I was a youngin'
Light fuse and get away!
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
Dad has a small steam tractor. It is self propelled and had a 3 foot metal rod to stand over and steer the front wheel. He got it when he was a kid. He lost the firebox but welded up one about the time I was in high school. I think he burned alcohol in it.

I wonder how the gel fuel in one of those sterno food heater things would work.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
Whatever makes heat and boils water should work fine.
Posted By: drover Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
A friend of mine bought one of those new in the box a few years ago, IIRC he used alcohol to fuel it but I can't remember much about except that it was really neat to watch it operate.
I don't think they would sell anything like that as a kids toy anymore, after all it would be just too dangerous, smirk

drover
Esbit fuel tabs!
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
The pic brings back memories, had one as a kid, but not as fancy as that one..
We used Sterno in a can as I recall, scooped it out to fill the little hopper/fuel pan.
Light it it up and wait (with water in the tank of course).

I'd check the steam lines, piston, valve etc.to be sure they aren't plugged, oil where needed for lube.
Steam can create a lot of pressure so be sure everything is clear and moving parts are moving.
We had the real thing at work. Burned 800 to 900 ton of coal per day. 400 lb steam driving our main generator and we used the secondary steam to run the factory. Lots of cool stuff to learn out on the boilers. My job for a few years was helping to replace degenerated piping and economizor tubes.

ETA corrected tonnage. We burned about 3.5 rail cars per eight hour shift. About 80/90 ton each.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Esbit fuel tabs!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
Oil it up good with a thin oil such as 3in1, fill it up halfway with distilled water, and use Sterno for the fuel.

Posted By: kwg020 Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
You used to see those in a Montgomery Ward, Western Auto and Sears catalogs many many years ago..

kwg
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
older brother had one of those before I was old enough to start school, maybe 65 years ago. Kicker is, our name is Jensen. No relation to the toy company
Posted By: rem141r Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
those are made near where i live. you got lucky finding that. they are cool little engines and not easy to come by. they are built in a very small, very manual facility. 2 or 3 people working there. long waiting list.
Has it got a PRV?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
A friend had one when we were kids. It was really neat looking, and it attached to machines that moved, but it was disappointing in that they didn't actually DO anything.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Jensen steam powered toy - 12/26/20
Appears something very similar to be still available from Amazon. It says to use "dry fuel tablet".

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-Steam-Engine-75-America/dp/B00D0ULOTI
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Appears something very similar to be still available from Amazon. It says to use "dry fuel tablet".

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-Steam-Engine-75-America/dp/B00D0ULOTI

Looks like the same model I found.

May try to get it up and running in the next few days.

Busy searching for more treasures as we clean.
© 24hourcampfire