Home
If entering private property to retrieve stolen property rightfully yours, and the thief tries to physically intervene, what side would the law support. The victim of theft, or the thief who would now be a “victim” of trespass.
Posted By: johnw Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
lessee here
Trespass, and attack the property owner.
We'll all wanna hear how that works out...
The douchbag who took the goods in the first place would be the victim.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
I’d not wanna try that and find out. Possession is ownership until proven otherwise legally. You would probably be on the receiving end of the law there

If your gonna go all bufford on em, you better be the sheriff son.

Or at least that’s what my grandfather would say
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The douchbag who took the goods in the first place would be the victim.

More than likely without a court order allowing the original victim or an agent of the court to retrieve the property.

But, I'd not take legal advice from a bunch of folks who argue the usefulness of the venerable '06 wink
Originally Posted by johnw
lessee here

Tune in tomorrow.
I bought a property at foreclosure and the previous owner owed debts. A debtor decided he should enter my newly acquired property and take property to satisfy his debt.
I’m not looking to attack anyone, but I will be taking home what’s rightfully and legally mine. Hopefully he see the error of his ways and stands down.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If entering private property to retrieve stolen property rightfully yours, and the thief tries to physically intervene, what side would the law support. The victim of theft, or the thief who would now be a “victim” of trespass.

Oh please Jesus let Jack post up the results! Please Jesus!

LOL
This might be as exciting as Kingston's Christmas surprise thread.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

LOL

Let me know how much rent I owe this month for living in your head. Couldn’t be much since the square footage is so small?

LOL

Let me know Joe much I owe this month for living in your head. Couldn’t be much since the square footage is so small

I'm not the azzhole asking the stupid question.

LOL
Originally Posted by Valsdad
This might be as exciting as Kingston's Christmas surprise thread.

Doubtful, but I’ve tried my best for close to two weeks to settle this in a civil manner to no avail.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
Merry Christmas!

LOL

Let me know How much rent I owe you this month for living in your head. Couldn’t be much since the square footage is so small

I'm not the azzhole asking the stupid question.

LOL

Do “mail order brides” really come in the mail? What did the shipping run?
LOL
You bought foreclosed real estate? And the debtor seized personal property from the real estate that was left there from before foreclosure? Did he have a secured interest in the personal property? Is there any mechanism for title to personal property to pass through foreclosure? Are you sure you have free an clear title to what was seized?

Do “mail order brides” really come in the mail? What did the shipping run?
LOL

You're thinking blow up dolls. They're so 1980. You should try the new robots, they don't care how drunk you are.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
It depends on what the debt is for.If someone did work on the property and did not get paid,they can place a lien on it and the new owner is responsible for that debt.How ever that does not give them the right to trespass unless they have a Court order and a LEO with them.Don`t just go marching over there to retrieve your stuff.Have a LEO go with you .Or knock the guy out with a baseball bat from behind so he can`t ID you and take your stuff back.Probably what you would like to do but not the best idea. grin
Originally Posted by readonly
You bought foreclosed real estate? And the debtor seized personal property from the real estate that was left there from before foreclosure? Did he have a secured interest in the personal property? Is there any mechanism for title to personal property to pass through foreclosure? Are you sure you have free an clear title to what was seized?

I have clear title to the real estate and a bill of sale from the bank conveying their interest in the personal property on site.
The thief has no judgement or lien on the property he took.
The property is a trailer that’s titled to the original property owner (now deceased with no heirs).

The thief is owed money for services rendered on a separate property.

The trailer’s coming home tomorrow.
I bought property in Oregon years ago that had lots of stored items on the property from a previous sale. According to Oregon law at the time I had to publish a notice to give time before the stored property became mine. Small town I just gave the property to the owner to keep them happy. Antiques, cars lots of big money involved that the former owner had stored for free and was mad that they could not continue doing so.
I’d be very careful going onto someone else’s property to retrieve your stolen property. No matter how frustratingly ass backwards and unfair the law might be I’d hate to see a guy get the screws put to him over it.

Since the guy took your property (I assume after you closed on the property) and is holding it against a debt that he thinks is owed by someone else not related to you in any form I’d say that he’s likely fired up. Fired up enough to steal someone else’s stuff to satisfy a third party’s debt. A guy like that is not acting rational nor is he worried about repercussions apparently. Was the property stolen from you yours from before this purchase of a foreclosure or was the property stolen part and parcel of the foreclosure that you bought?

Be careful and don’t do anything that you’ll regret. Good luck.
I had some guys come back to get some Rent-To-Own furniture once after renters skipped out. I wasn’t touching that chit.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

No offense to my friend, but this is really bad advice.
The personal property on site was all owned by the original owner. There are quite a few debtors owed money for services rendered at a home he was building at another property. The bank foreclosed 4 months ago, I closed 40 days ago. The window of opportunity has closed for any claims.
Guy just wants to be a prick. Commonwealth’s attorney won’t reply to my attorneys requests for her to intervene after 15 days.

No offense to my friend, but this is really bad advice.

You have no friends. Everyone knows what a chunt you are.
Fireballz, post up a pic of the “final phase of the development” you’re working on. I need a good laugh tonight. Never seen anyone “develop” a parcel with a 8,000 lb baby excavator.
Get two Mexicans, a shovel and a wheelbarrow and they’ll work circles around you and your Tonka toy.

I have clear title to the real estate and a bill of sale from the bank conveying their interest in the personal property on site.
The thief has no judgement or lien on the property he took.
The property is a trailer that’s titled to the original property owner (now deceased with no heirs).

The thief is owed money for services rendered on a separate property.

The trailer’s coming home tomorrow.

Without knowing all the exact details...

Without a Court Order stating he is the lawful owner of the trailer in question AND has a Order from the Court to retrieve said trailer it sure seems to me he would be in violation of trespass on YOUR REAL PROPERTY.

Post the property entrance ASAP.
As for ballz... he's a coward and an idiot.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
As for ballz... he's a coward and an idiot.

But he'll still try and make this honest post about how him... and how he is a victim.

...he is always itching for a cyber-fight from his she shed.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
The personal property on site was all owned by the original owner. There are quite a few debtors owed money for services rendered at a home he was building at another property. The bank foreclosed 4 months ago, I closed 40 days ago. The window of opportunity has closed for any claims.
Guy just wants to be a prick. Commonwealth’s attorney won’t reply to my attorneys requests for her to intervene after 15 days.

You bought a TRAILER at auction with a soap-opera background of debtors and misfits and fuggtards waiting in the wings for you.

Well done.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
I’ve kinda sorta wondered about something similar to this before. My state doesn’t require or acknowledge titles for trailers, no tags either. Build all you want and run them up and down the road, who gives a schit if you know how to weld or not, load them up and hammer down.

I always wondered what would happen if one got stolen and how you prove it’s yours. I make sure and keep mine brush painted with some baby schit colored leftover paint mixture so as to be identifiable.
Simple plan...Get a Black Lives Matters t-shirt, a Little League aluminum baseball bat and beat this ass-hole into the pavement.

Not on his property of course, but on a public street, or road.

😎🦫
Also related note, kinda. I bought the dump next door at the tax auction last year and I’m fixing to demo it for a parking/ garden area but basically just to not have a falling down pile of crap next door.

Couple weeks ago I came home after dark and I hear some rustling around in the shed that partially burned once when a meth lab blew up. I take my light and 38 back there and some mofo has a sheet of plywood over one window and a rug tacked over another and he’s in there setting up shop. I grabbed a piece of steel out of my iron pile and hucked it through the window then hid outside in the dark.

Pretty sure that dude pissed himself when he walked out and I lit him up with the light and asked what the fook he thought he was doing in there. MF set a land speed record when he took off running across the yard. Chased him in the truck for a block or two but he gave me the slip.
Jack , I completely agree with you and would go with you to retrieve the stolen trailer tomorrow .

How well do you know the sheriff ? We going to get that trailer .

In a real similar situation a judge said he completely agreed with me but , " why didn't you call the sheriff first " .
Posted By: denton Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
In my experience, courts take an exceedingly dim view of someone taking matters into their own hands. Trespassing and seizing property you believe is yours is an invitation to a bushel of legal problems.
Self help in this case sounds like a really bad idea. It will cost much more for a lawyer to get the OP out of trouble than to engage one for a lawful process.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
lessee here

Tune in tomorrow.
I bought a property at foreclosure and the previous owner owed debts. A debtor decided he should enter my newly acquired property and take property to satisfy his debt.
I’m not looking to attack anyone, but I will be taking home what’s rightfully and legally mine. Hopefully he see the error of his ways and stands down.

I'm sure you already know this, but, If there is a lien on the property it is your responsibility to know that and what it is for ie. any property that could be used as payment to said lien holder.
If there is no lien then the property is yours, assuming the transaction met legal standards etc. but you still need to get law enforcement involved and don't go off half cocked getting physically involved with the "debtor"/thief/moroon. That's what the cops are for.
He's already attempted the "lawful process" route and it seems the Commonwealth's atty is not doing him any favors.

jack,

good luck with it all. Sounds like a real scheidtshow.
Originally Posted by denton
In my experience, courts take an exceedingly dim view of someone taking matters into their own hands. Trespassing and seizing property you believe is yours is an invitation to a bushel of legal problems.

Incorrect.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Self help in this case sounds like a really bad idea. It will cost much more for a lawyer to get the OP out of trouble than to engage one for a lawful process.

For jack, it's a good idea. He's got money to throw away getting equipment stuck in the mud, he can handle lawyers fees.
I don't see the Commonwealth Attorney advising anybody other than law enforcement for something like this. You can bring a suit for dentinue in general district court and get it back....if he has no legal claim it should be straight forward and pretty easy. Meanwhile if he has no legal claim the sheriff ought to be able to help you bring a charge for larceny and entering property to interfere with property rights. If the trailer is worth less than $1000 you can go straight to the magistrate and swear out misdemeanors yourself. If the sheriff is saying he won't get involved because it's civil, that means the other guy has articulated or documented a legal claim that has convinced him to stay out, and will be a bad look for you to go around law enforcement on a self help mission.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Simple plan...Get a Black Lives Matters t-shirt, a Little League aluminum baseball bat and beat this ass-hole into the pavement.

Not on his property of course, but on a public street, or road.

😎🦫

Finally, the voice of reason!
Originally Posted by SBTCO
don't go off half cocked getting physically involved with the "debtor"/thief/moroon. That's what the cops are for.

You can do it Jack! You don't need to involve the police.
The blind leading the blind. I'll be watching the news for the resolution.
lessee here

Tune in tomorrow.

I'm sure you already know this, but, If there is a lien on the property it is your responsibility to know that and what it is for ie. any property that could be used as payment to said lien holder.
If there is no lien then the property is yours, assuming the transaction met legal standards etc. but you still need to get law enforcement involved and don't go off half cocked getting physically involved with the "debtor"/thief/moroon. That's what the cops are for.

A friend's business has been robbed repeatedly and he cannot get the Anchorage Police Department to bother to stop by to take a report on felony thefts...

And this sounds more like a civil squabble.
Sounds like you are in the middle of the hog pen. Every path looks like schit.

True story, my cousin got his guns stolen and he knew who did it but the cops acted like they didn’t have enough evidence to get a search warrant so him and his neighbor go to the guys house and find his guns. The guy shows up while they are there and they hog tie him up and call the cops. It didn’t end well with my cousin and his neighbor, the guy that stole the guns got a possession of stolen property and my cousin and his neighbor got charged with breaking and entering and kidnapping. They should of put the guy in a clay pit and not even called the cops.
Looking for answers ? Just ask O.J. Simpson, he got an extended stay in the crowbar motel for his efforts to retrieve stolen property.
Originally Posted by MadDog4298

True story, my cousin got his guns stolen and he knew who did it but the cops acted like they didn’t have enough evidence to get a search warrant so him and his neighbor go to the guys house and find his guns. The guy shows up while they are there and they hog tie him up and call the cops. It didn’t end well with my cousin and his neighbor, the guy that stole the guns got a possession of stolen property and my cousin and his neighbor got charged with breaking and entering and kidnapping. They should of put the guy in a clay pit and not even called the cops.

Another example of no good deed goes unpunished
Posted By: KFWA Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
if you have documentation saying you bought it and own it, why not stop by the local sheriff's office and let him know what happened?
You need a very big pressure cooker and large fire.
Originally Posted by MadDog4298

Called the cops? Just plain stupid.
Posted By: sackett Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
Just ask OJ how well it down for him......
Posted By: 673 Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
Not sure if laws are differing from region to region in the USA but, we built a house for a fellow, he quit paying for everything, we stopped construction and the legal proceedings started.

There was still about 5,000 in lumber left on the property, the home owner was using it to continue the construction.
My boss asked his Lawyer what to do, he said...its your lumber isn't it?

We went and took it and returned it to the lumber store. The guy was threatening from a distance, lol.
I don't see the Commonwealth Attorney advising anybody other than law enforcement for something like this. You can bring a suit for dentinue in general district court and get it back....if he has no legal claim it should be straight forward and pretty easy. Meanwhile if he has no legal claim the sheriff ought to be able to help you bring a charge for larceny and entering property to interfere with property rights. If the trailer is worth less than $1000 you can go straight to the magistrate and swear out misdemeanors yourself. If the sheriff is saying he won't get involved because it's civil, that means the other guy has articulated or documented a legal claim that has convinced him to stay out, and will be a bad look for you to go around law enforcement on a self help mission.
Really good advice. The sheriff doesn't have the authority to settle competing claims. A judge or Justice of the peace will listen to both sides and make a decision. Going to someone else's property to settle an ownership of movable property dispute will cause grief, probably for you. You have a legal avenue. It is called a civil action. With a court order the sheriff will go get the trailer.
don't go off half cocked getting physically involved with the "debtor"/thief/moroon. That's what the cops are for.

You couldn’t even spring the extra $5,000 for the cab on your (very)mini excavator?
Here’s to hoping you can move up to the big leagues one day.
On the bright side, ignorance is bliss so you’ll ALWAYS be happy!
#LMFAO
Have you spoken with the person who took the trailer? Actual phone polite phone conversation? Just to see what's up?

You couldn’t even spring the extra $5,000 for the cab on your (very)mini excavator?
#LMFAO

What do you have that ties that trailer to you by VIN? If not VIN, by what language was the trailer conveyed to you in the sale?
Originally Posted by duck911

You bought a TRAILER at auction with a soap-opera background of debtors and misfits and fuggtards waiting in the wings for you.

Well done.

Reading comprehension mother [bleep]....get some.
Do you have the trailer titled? Report it stolen and let the cops know who took it. Tell them either they can retrieve it or you will.

If you go to do it you are 100% in the right and I would take go pro cameras mounted to your vehicle and at least one body cam as well to document. State your name loudly and your propose there repeatedly. You got this
Posted By: goalie Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
Well, considering that is pretty much exactly the scenario that put OJ in jail.......
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

#LMFAO

What do you have that ties that trailer to you by VIN? If not VIN, by what language was the trailer conveyed to you in the sale?

Filed for right to auction through abandoned vehicle form at the DMV which hasn’t been disputed.
Bill of sale from bank conveying all interest they had in the real estate and private property contained there on, to the buyer (my LLC).
PO died 9 1/2 - 10 months ago with no heirs or will, property secured line of credit through a local bank who seized it (and 14 others) to secure the debt. Bank had “owned” the property for three months at time of auction and auctioneer announced no liens on vehicles. I’ve had it under contract with deposit since beginning of November at which time I blocked all but one entrance and clearly posted no trespassing signs. Closed on it four weeks ago. No one has judgement that has come forward and no liens on this particular property known of or brought forth.
Guy simply was owed money and took it upon himself to collect on my property.
Local LEO is sympathetic to him and sandbagging. My attorney has tried to contact Commonwealth Attorney who is apparently too busy to reply over a two week period.
My patience is exhausted. Talking to State Trooper this morning if I can find one. After that, options are exhausted and time for plan B.

If it’s let stand, word will get around and I’ll have a bigger mess than I will now.

I absolutely hate a thief and a liar. Lowest form of man there is other than a pedophile. If he had rights he should’ve came while I was there and exercised them. Sneaking in, in the night isn’t the way white men handle things.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
If you have a lawyer, that advice trumps the internet.
Law enforcement should treat it as civil sounds like a dispute over who owns what.
If you don’t have a legal claim to the trailer then you are not the victim. The deceased owners estate is the victim who could have authorized the claim be satisfied by trailer.
Lots of pitfalls in this story.
My friend had an excavator stolen from his mining claim 3 years ago, he turned it in to the sheriff's office, a year went by and the sheriff got a good description of the low- boy that snatched it. They found it 40 miles away behind a locked enclosure. The sheriff, verified the serial number, took a photo and gave the "evidence" to my friend, basically told him to go to the Calif Hwy Patrol.
We wondered, what the hell is the sheriff for? So, the hoops were jumped through, eventually the Highway Patrol issued a "release of property order" to be presented to the thief by the actual owner. Still no discussion of charges against the thief by the sheriff or CHP. WTF? So, me with the low-boy and my buddy well armed and with the piece of paper go to retrieve the excavator from the thief. Short version, voices are raised, thief not cooperative, we call CHP again asking for help to serve the "release of property" order, CHP says, "we don't do that, maybe get local city Police to stand by to keep the peace". JFC, this is nuts. By this time my buddy, another fat old 70 yr old, is pissed beyond common sense, and backs the thief down by informing him that he doesn't give a damn about the consequences, that excavator is leaving here now, today. Whatever it takes. And that my friends, is law enforcement in California.
If it’s let stand, word will get around and I’ll have a bigger mess than I will now.
I absolutely hate a thief and a liar. Lowest form of man there is other than a pedophile. If he had rights he should’ve came while I was there and exercised them. Sneaking in, in the night isn’t the way white men handle things.
Well, if you don't plan to do this with a court order, why don't you use his method? Sneak over while he is gone and bring it to your house. That way, when you kill him over a trailer you will have a fighting chance to stay out of prison. It will at least be on your place where you belong and not on his place.
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

Law enforcement should treat it as civil

The fugk they should. The person who has the trailer trespassed on Jack's posted property and took it without permission. Further, the person who took it has no legal claim to it. Jack does. It's easy enough to connect the dots from the auction sale to the trailer. Someone would have to give a schidt though.
Well next time

Just do what you think is right privately. It is now PUBLIC. I do hope you get your stuff back.
It's a civil issue, deal with through the proper channels....or go make headlines....or the blotter.

#LMFAO

Filed for right to auction through abandoned vehicle form at the DMV which hasn’t been disputed.
Bill of sale from bank conveying all interest they had in the real estate and private property contained there on, to the buyer (my LLC).
PO died 9 1/2 - 10 months ago with no heirs or will, property secured line of credit through a local bank who seized it (and 14 others) to secure the debt. Bank had “owned” the property for three months at time of auction and auctioneer announced no liens on vehicles. I’ve had it under contract with deposit since beginning of November at which time I blocked all but one entrance and clearly posted no trespassing signs. Closed on it four weeks ago. No one has judgement that has come forward and no liens on this particular property known of or brought forth.
Local LEO is sympathetic to him and sandbagging. My attorney has tried to contact Commonwealth Attorney who is apparently too busy to reply over a two week period.
My patience is exhausted. Talking to State Trooper this morning if I can find one. After that, options are exhausted and time for plan B.

Misunderstood previously.

It is a civil matter, but if you do proceed... IMHO haul the trailer back to where it was stolen from and lock it down and remove the tires... even pull a hub.

Tell the thief to proceed thru the courts.

But my guess is the trailer will be locked down on his property and the actual retrieval will not be possible.

--------------

In about 1985 I live in Rockingham County. Had a Jeep CJ7 at the time. Soft top, thieves kept breaking into it and stealing my car stereo.

I bought a new car stereo and removed the outer shell and braised a 5/16 chain to the thin metal. Reassembled and installed. I bolted it to the firewall with a u bolt. I also took silicon and straight razors and glued them to the side of the medal.

Couple of days later I got in the Jeep in the stereo was no longer in the dashboard.

Looking down I could see it hanging by its chain on the passenger floorboard. There was a footprint on the glove compartment and there was plenty of DNA on the passenger side floor mat.

I'm sure I'd be charged with felony attempted murder now, but back then it was a pretty sweet revenge.

Good luck to you, however you proceed.

The fugk they should. The person who has the trailer trespassed on Jack's posted property and took it ack- he has no legal claim to it.without permission. Further, the person who took it has no legal claim to it. Jack does. It's easy enough to connect the dots from the auction sale to the trailer. Someone would have to give a schidt though.

What is Jacks legal claim?

The fugk they should. The person who has the trailer trespassed on Jack's posted property and took it ack- he has no legal claim to it.without permission. Further, the person who took it has no legal claim to it. Jack does. It's easy enough to connect the dots from the auction sale to the trailer. Someone would have to give a schidt though.

What is Jacks legal claim?

He spelled that out earlier. What's the legal claim of the person who now has it? The guy who owned it prior to Jack owed the person who now has it some money? I don't think the law works that way.
Lock on the hitch goes a long way to prevent trailer theft!
Sounds to me like he and the sheriff are friends, Sheriff needs to do his job friends or not.

There comes a time when you have to take justice yourself, it sounds like this is one of those times. I'd lay low let him get comfortable and strike when he's at ease. all you have to do is get the trailer back to your property as you have links to ownership he does not.

Jack, this situation requires tact not brawn.
Jack said he had bill of sale from bank for personal property.
That is buried in a bunch of ftard posts.
With bill of sale get title.
With title in Jacks name, law enforcement might care enough to go talk with thief. Who will then move it to some un locatable place.
If jack retrieves it in a covert operation and it goes smooth- law enforcement might worse case give two trespass tickets.

If it turns into a shiet show, then it will all come down to who the officer or prosecutor liked.

Local LEO is sympathetic to him and sandbagging.

If the local LEO being sympathetic to the other guy is not a red flag that you would be viewed as a bad guy if you attempted self-help, I don't know what is.

My attorney has tried to contact Commonwealth Attorney who is apparently too busy to reply over a two week period

You have a lawyer, what does s/he say about your rights?

I don't know anything about the law in your area, but it sounds like the other guy trespassed or maybe even committed a burglary. The police should take a report regardless of how they want to classify it.

The other thing I don't know is whether you have a castle doctrine or stand-your-ground law in your state on top of general self-defense law. That could come into play here if someone were to go on someone else's property without consent.

Don't let frustration cloud your judgment.

#LMFAO

You need to borrow some bolt cutters, bro?

Fugk those azzholes and fugk the cops.

Been there, done that with the whole band of idiots here in the south of south.

Justice is usually what you get for yourself in these situations, has been my experience.
Knew a guy who’s house was robbed. Police did basically nothing after he filed the report. Some of his property that was taken was very recognizable one of a kind custom type stuff.

After weeks of scouring pawn shops with some success he answered a paper ad for the bull of what he was still missing. Sure enough the guy had his stuff. He said he’d take it but had to hit the ATM to get some more money and he’d be back in a few. Down the street he called the cops and told them to come and get. They told him they really didn’t have the time and he’d be better off to just pay the guy if he wanted his stuff back. He hung up and called 911, told the dispatch he was about to shoot a guy who’d stolen his goods with a shotgun if the cops didn’t get there quick. Miraculously they came in less than 5 minutes.

Probably a bad plan but they did return his stuff even though they didn’t do anything to the thief.
? Do you have dependents? Do you have life insurance?
Jack gonna jack that trailer
Just go in *Black Face* and take whatever you want from the thief.

This has been working in every Democratic city.

😎🦫
lessee here

Tune in tomorrow.

That’s theft. His debt is owed by the person you bought the property from, unless he had a properly filed lien against the property. Which case he could get the sheriff to help him collect.

Call the popo and report the theft.
This kind of behavior got OJ Simpson locked up in a Nevada prison for 9 years.
Here's whatcha do. Go down the Sheriff's office and make a complaint and request them to help you get your trailer back. (I assume you can show/prove that it was on your property.) IF, the Sheriff balks at helping you with this cause he's too busy, yada, yada, yada, - - - just tell him that you and a buddy will be going there to get your stuff and he'll probably be called out there anyway. It just might work.

Years ago when I was single with a couple roommates, our house was broken into and lots of stuff was stolen including reserved tickets to a concert. My roommate somehow knew the seat numbers. We went to the police with that info and asked them to send someone to the show to check to see if anyone were in those seats, as they would either be the thieves or could have bought them from the thieves. The cops said na, they couldn't spare the resources yada, yada, yada. We said, "Ok, we'll check them ourselves and that we would handle it our way." The detective mumbled that he would see what he could do. We said that we would be there to make sure a cop was sent out. We went there and sure enough there was a cop and he checked those seats several times but no one showed up. The cop said, well you might as well go in and enjoy the show.
Trailers need to be titled, correct?

Just report it as stolen. Not worth the legal fees to get you out of jail.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Trailers need to be titled, correct?

Not everywhere.
Just out of curiosity what kind of trailer are you talking? Equipment trailer? Trailer house? I probably missed it if previously posted. I’m just trying to get an idea of how difficult it might be to slip in and get what’s yours.
What about hiring a Repo Agent?

If you have proof of ownership. Pay a fee and have them legally “Repo” the trailer.

😎🦫
Equipment type trailer. Older, worth maybe $1K. Other items adding up to possibly another $1K. Way past the point of monetary value being a driving factor. Went by today and no sign of it or him at his place. Guy won’t answer the phone to try to settle things in a civil manner. This is 1 1/2 hrs from my home so logistically it’s not like I can run by every day to see if I can catch him.
Guess I’m back to just letting my attorney settle it. Covered there, my guy is damn good.
Ridiculous that something so simple gets sideways because LEO’s lack of common sense and willingness to perform his duty.
Equipment type trailer. Older, worth maybe $1K. Other items adding up to possibly another $1K. Way past the point of monetary value being a driving factor. Went by today and no sign of it or him at his place. Guy won’t answer the phone to try to settle things in a civil manner.
Guess I’m back to just letting my attorney settle it. Covered there, my guy is damn good.
Ridiculous that something so simple gets sideways because LEO’s lack of common sense and willingness to perform his duty.

Wise decision
Reporting something stolen here always
gets the same bored response
" well it's probably already in mexico by now. . ."

That doesn't mean they'll look for it
Originally Posted by Ranger99

“Check the pawnshops, we never catch these guys”
I thought everyone in in highland county kept a hole dug for just that reason.
Plan B:

Pay a neighbor to put a tracking device on his truck, so you can watch where he goes online. Once off his property, wait until he goes into a store, and then pull up next to his truck and unhook the trailer, and then latch it onto your truck and leave.
LOL

When a cop says to check the pawnshops what the cop is really saying is “I don’t GAF about your stolen items and I don’t GAF about you. You’re bothering me and I don’t plan to help.” Pawnshops send in descriptions, model numbers and serial numbers as required by law.
Originally Posted by srwshooter

If the guy wasn’t owed money and was just an everyday thief maybe. I sympathize with him to some extent, being put in the same position a few times. But lapse of judgement has to be followed up with admission of wrong doing and making things right.

He’s had enough time now to get clarity but doesn’t seem to be comprehending the error of his ways.

Basically he’s a dimwit like fireballz. Probably not rubbing your scheit in your hair clinically retarded like ballz, but not playing with a full deck either.

Kill him.
Burn his house down.
Salt his fields.
Sell his children into slavery.
Give his women to your servants.

P
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Plan B:

Pay a neighbor to put a tracking device on his truck, so you can watch where he goes online. Once off his property, wait until he goes into a store, and then pull up next to his truck and unhook the trailer, and then latch it onto your truck and leave.

Sweet baby Jesus, you’re stupid elky
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Kill him.
Burn his house down.
Salt his fields.

P

[bleep]..... I love this guy.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/26/20

When a cop says to check the pawnshops what the cop is really saying is “I don’t GAF about your stolen items and I don’t GAF about you. You’re bothering me and I don’t plan to help.” Pawnshops send in descriptions, model numbers and serial numbers as required by law.

We wind up hitting the local pawns fairly frequently after a burg/theft because, around here, they don’t.
None of them are in my jurisdiction either, so that makes it an extra pain in the ass. Worth it, though, since we’ve closed a bunch of cases that way. Dumbass thieves......
Posted By: jimy Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/27/20
Kill him.
Burn his house down.
Salt his fields.

P

[bleep]..... I love this guy.

I would never leave him off this easy....
Kill him.
Burn his house down.
Salt his fields.

P

Holy schit! Are we related? Wife gets after me for saying stuff like that to people when they ask about dealing with a problem. She used to think I was joking. She knows me better now. I tell her not to worry, I am mature enough not to use the first strategy that comes to my mind. Most of the time, anyway.
Have your lawyer add "Loss of use" to the litigation. $100 a day kinda thing.
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Kill him.
Burn his house down.
Salt his fields.

P

Holy schit! Are we related? Wife gets after me for saying stuff like that to people when they ask about dealing with a problem. She used to think I was joking. She knows me better now. I tell her not to worry, I am mature enough not to use the first strategy that comes to my mind. Most of the time, anyway.

Tt never hurts to have a backup plan.
Remember OJ? This is what got him sent to prison for a long time.

Yeah, in this area, the police department has officers
on staff full time that go around to all the pawnshops
and do nothing else but look for stolen goods.
The last theft I had was when they got in my truck
and completely cleaned it out
I had extensive lists and descriptions of everything and
they only found my camera, right up here a couple of
blocks away. They had found it the very next day after
the report was made and the truck fingerprinted, but
I wasn't told until nearly a month later.
The detective on the case swore that's all that was
found and that I'd most likely never see any of it again
and that it was probably already in mexico by now.
They didn't do anything to the guy that pawned my
stuff and blew it off by saying that " He'll just say that
he found it on the side of the road. . "
In other words, we're not gonna do anything, and he
just got away completely free with the crime of
stealing your sh*t, so go get a life
Originally Posted by srwshooter

If the guy wasn’t owed money and was just an everyday thief maybe. I sympathize with him to some extent, being put in the same position a few times. But lapse of judgement has to be followed up with admission of wrong doing and making things right.

He’s had enough time now to get clarity but doesn’t seem to be comprehending the error of his ways.

Basically he’s a dimwit like fireballz. Probably not rubbing your [bleep] in your hair clinically retarded like ballz, but not playing with a full deck either.

Roy>Feces>Hair

LOL 😂🤣
Inspiration

Are there plates on the trailer? Have the PD run them. Make sure the trailer isn't his before anything else you do.
Posted By: jimy Re: Retrieving stolen property - 12/27/20
Sometimes its just best to be quite, and deal with your own business, I won't be wronged without retribution, the payback will be enough for them to f~ck with someone else.......

It pays to have friends that owe you favors once in a while......I have never seen where the cops are your friends, they are the ones buying the best stuff that you are missing.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Retrieving stolen property - 01/12/21
What has happened with your situation Jack??
© 24hourcampfire