Home
I shoot right handed but I am left eye dominant

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Some shotguns are made like this. I think a better idea is to teach yourself to shoot off the other shoulder. I knew a guy who did that and spent a whole summer relearning how to shoot. He has now won state championships in several categories.

Other guys just shoot with one eye open, or put a piece of tape over one glasses lens.

I would think the rifle in your photo would slap the cheek pretty hard when recoiling.
In a rifle, being cross dominant doesn't matter one whit. In handgunning, it does to a small degree, because you instinctively line the sights up to your dominant eye rather than the eye that matches with your hand dominance, but all that means is that you have to cock your head a little bit, and it has almost no practical consequence. Now, with most forms of sport shotgunning (particularly when flushing upland birds, or when engaged in skeet or trap shooting), it does make a big difference, because it will slow you down when you're engaged in snap shooting. The front bead needs to come right up to the correct eye without thinking. For that, being same eye/hand dominant makes for a huge advantage vs being cross dominant.
Yes, it is not rare. More often seen on shotguns IME.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In a rifle, being cross dominant doesn't matter one whit.

spoken by someone that shoots with one eye closed.
Yes.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I would think that would resolve the issue, assuming the non dominant eye is good.
I have one

Originally Posted by dale06

I would think that would resolve the issue, assuming the non dominant eye is good.

My FIL shot rifles with both eyes open, he RARELY missed. I am right handed and left eyed................... I close the dominant eye. I could probably learn, but the sight picture fluctuates between dominant and non-dominant...

PS: I have a Belgian cape gun that was built with cast off in the stick, and it fits like a dream................. for a left handed guy not so much!
Gun fit............
I wish I had that when I was a kid playing Cowboys and Indians, good for peeking around trees and not getting capped.
I knew a skeet referee who was blinded in his master eye by a no.9 shot that bounced back after hitting a clay target. Million to one shot. He had a stock like that.
Originally Posted by 78CJ
I have one

A little off subject maybe, but I bought a Beretta 391 when they came out several years ago. First gun I ever bought with an adjustable stock. I literally couldn't knock a bird down if it was stopped in midair. One day I took aim at a fence post with the gun empty, maintained my stance and closed my eyes and mounted the shotgun again. It was pointing so far left when I opened my eyes I knew something was way out of whack. I got looking at the the stock and it had came Cast On and with a right handed safety from the factory. Reversed to Cast Off for a right handed shooter and removed some drop in the stock and what a difference it made in that gun.
Might be an issue of only one good eye.
Having that happen after gaining shooting experience, offset stock might be the fix.
Yes. As said, an expensive make for those who's master eye differs from their shoulder preference. The nuns probably hit them with rulers when they tried to switch to the proper shoulder as kids. While the build corrects the master eye alignment issue it should still make for some recoil to the nose, mouth, or eyebrow if a heavy kicker is involved. Closing or patching an eye might work in the stationary target realm, but is an issue for snap shooting, shot gunning, and depth perception. Also eliminates half of ones view when out in a hunting situation which is a bit of a safety issue.

As said above, astute parents should make note and school the kid to shoot from the proper shoulder. Muscle memory can be erased if a kid is started improperly. Neural wiring is another cat indeed.

In our Hunter Ed classes, about 1/2 of the left eye dominant kids have been improperly initiated by parents. Seems most just assume and fail to check eye dominance. A neighbor was just in the other day and had started his, not known to him, left eyed daughter from the right shoulder. When he stepped her up to a 223, she ate a scope a few times and has lost interest in shooting. Handed her one of Cookie's cameras to check out and she uses her left eye to peer through the viewfinder.
Interesting I had never heard of or seen such a thing. I was lucky to be left handed but right eye dominant. My uncle and grandpa were both shooting coaches and taught me to shoot right handed before I was old enough to have much of a preference one way or the other.
As soon as I saw this I thought of Nora. A cross dominate shooter with a stock to accommodate. I'd lost track of her success as I quit shooting trap years ago, so I googled her. I guess if you look up successful trap shooter in the dictionary, her picture would be there.

Notice how she mounts the gun. And, has for millions of times.

Mount in video looks normal, but when I freeze frame, it looks like her left eye is closed when the shots break. Can't really assay the stock build. Sounds like she has done well despite.
Originally Posted by gunzo
As soon as I saw this I thought of Nora. A cross dominate shooter with a stock to accommodate. I'd lost track of her success as I quit shooting trap years ago, so I googled her. I guess if you look up successful trap shooter in the dictionary, her picture would be there.

Just asking, but at 1:33 they show her shooting with her left eye closed
seems like a good idea but I don't think I'd ever buy one. The closest I get is buying stocks without cheek relief to let me switch up if I want.
I'm taking it that shooting with one eye closed is now somehow considered outdated and ineffective?
Originally Posted by Stophel
I'm taking it that shooting with one eye closed is now somehow considered outdated and ineffective?

Apparently! I usually keep both eyes open until I get on target then close one before I squeeze one off with the rifle. Handgun it depends and shotgun I keep both open.

The pics posted are interesting, personally I haven't any experience with them but have seen similar before with shotguns. Didn't think it was as common as apparently it is here. The rifle is a first.

I noticed my daughter is right handed but left eye dominant at an early age so we just started her shooting left handed. She's very much ambidextrous now and has no issues with a pistol, bow or rifle. She hasn't shown much interest in shotguns yet, the same as my boy. Probably because they are used to shooting with suppressors would be my guess. That and we don't do much bird hunting despite living in the greatest upland bird hunting area of the state with grouse, chickens and pheasants aplenty.
Always use your dominate eye to shoot. Lots of kids forced to do thing wrong handed go thru life clumsy as hell

Beat me to it.

My wife shoots one-eyed, because she has no dominant eye. It helps.

My left handed, right-dominant-eyed brother shoots right handed, both eyes open, like most of us.
Originally Posted by 78CJ
I have one

Grandad had an A-5 Browning like that . Factory.
"at 1:33 they show her shooting with her left eye closed."

Yeah, I saw that. Always "assumed" a radical stock offset was to shoot with a left eye from right shoulder, or vise versa. But she seems to be doing something way different. It works though, as she's won about everything there is in trapshooting, multiple times. She had stocks like it at as a teenager.

When KWFA showed that rifle, this lady was the first & most successful cross dominate shooter that I thought of.
Saw one 35 years ago on the rack at Shapel's Gun Shop in Boise, Idaho.
I know a bloke who lost his right eye, and he modifies his stocks to allow him to shoot right handed but aim with his left eye. No doubt he's not the only one, and I have see these cross-eyed stocks before.

As for closing one eye to shoot (for those who have two of them), this is not without disadvantages. It takes away from peripheral vision of course. It also takes away depth perception and is thought to slow your processing speed, which are disadvantages for shotgun sports (except perhaps trap) and shooting running game with a rifle. As well, in the context mainly of rifle shooting, holding one eye closed increases eye strain and also tends to cause your open eye's pupil to dilate more, decreasing depth of field/sharpness.

Instead of closing the off eye, you can simply put a very small spot of clear tape or even a greasy fingerprint on the off-eye lens of your shooting glasses, right at the spot where it will block that eye's view of the front bead/foresight when the gun's mounted. That way the offside eye can remain open, but is prevented from taking over at the moment of the shot.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Always use your dominate eye to shoot. Lots of kids forced to do thing wrong handed go thru life clumsy as hell

I was NRA Expert in High Power Rifle shooting right handed but left eye dominant. I just closed my left eye and it worked out just fine.
I damaged my right eye. Tried altering stocks but it wasn't very good.
Eventually taught myself to shoot left handed. Thats rifle not shotgun.
Saw an E.J. Churchill double like that at Mid-South Guns a year or so ago. Wonder how long it took to find a buyer....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mcVFrk7omk&ab_channel=ForgottenWeapons
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by srwshooter

I was NRA Expert in High Power Rifle shooting right handed but left eye dominant. I just closed my left eye and it worked out just fine.

Shoot PPC. Part of the course of fire is left hand barricade and right hand barricade. Left hand shot first, you have to use the left eye and it's best to leave the right eye open.The brain adapts to using the left eye, if the RO catches you using the right eye while shooting from the left they'll deduct sixty points.
Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by gunzo

Just asking, but at 1:33 they show her shooting with her left eye closed

Yes, if you pause the video in the right spots it is clear that she is shooting with her left eye closed. An odd gun mount with her face into the stock and looking out of the corner of her right eye. Can't argue with success though. It apparently works well for her. Most shooting coaches will try to get you to shoot with both eyes open and have the gun on the side of the dominant eye.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Stophel

Outdated and ineffective, no.

Slower, less-safe, and less effective, absolutely.

What good can come from giving away 1/2 your FOV and a goodly percentage of your depth perception?

I can still "day-trip" into reasonably good pheasant or ruffed-grouse country. The vast majority of folks I hunt with are painfully slow upon the flush. Some of that is experience and muscle-memory, but, I attribute a lot of being fast or slow with a shotgun to leaving both eyes open, or not. A 2-eye'd shooter will have the gun in position and lead established as the stock is hitting his/her cheek because they have their entire FOV and exponentially better depth perception giving them the ability to be establishing lead while the gun is on its way to the shoulder. Feet, legs, core, arms, hands all work in better harmony when you're also using both of your eyes.

FWIW, I shoot scoped rifles, open sighted rifles or handguns, and use a spotting scope w/both eyes open as well.
I have seen 2 shotguns so equipped. Both owners were right handed shooters but had lost sight in their right eye. Built this way they could still shoot right handed but using their only good eye. Neither were simply one eye dominate over the other.
My wife is left eye dominant but shoots right handed (rifles only). Can't force her into switching. Pyramids can decay, and deer, elk, and pronghorn can die of old age while she's settling in for a shot. Rarely misses though.
I've seen a few High Power match rifle shooters using offset sights, little or no vision in the affected eye.
© 24hourcampfire