Home
I live out in the sticks, so to speak. We've got a gas station and Post Office a coupla miles from the house.

New Dollar General going in about 3.5 miles down the road. Big happenings for these parts and some folks are all twitterpated about it. I've been in a few DG's, mostly for the contraband Thin Mints, but I ain't a regular.

What are the behavioral expectations for a home-town Dollar General? How must one conduct themselves in said establishment when they're a local? Is there a dress code I need to be aware of? I don't want to embarrass myself or my family name during the Grand Opening event.

I know you guys will steer me true!
They are like WalMart, but not as fancy.
Pants are required most of the time.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I'll even accept bad news. Thank you, sir.
Dont even need a GED
Pajamas optional.
They sell a $3.15 box of wine... that is to die for.

Is it worth putting on pants for?
pajamas, wife beater and crocs are uniform of the day. and their canned meat selection is phenomenal.
Originally Posted by rem141r
pajamas, wife beater and crocs are uniform of the day. and their canned meat selection is phenomenal.

They got any imitation SPAM?
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

gimme a few, i'll check.
Overalls and no shirt. No wife beaters allowed.
Teeth are optional.

I'd swear DG's come in a big box with "just add water" printed on the box - instant stores. They seem to go up overnight, and around here, they're popping up all over the place.
Well our DG stores are out here away from all the townie ghetto trash that goes to walmart.

Respectable white folks, a few to tobacco field mexicans

The folks in there are usually more civil, more polite, they usually are in there directly for what they want. No aimless browsing

No electric lardass carts

1. Beer is usually immediately the right, milk is just a little further. Everything you need is on the first two lanes beside the beer coolers. Little debbie, chef Boy’Ardee, vienna sausages, cheddar bacon pringles,

The other 90% of the store is Comet, toilet paper, white trash cosmetics and fouck, I dont know have never been to that side of the store.
Dollar Generals seem to follow the old general store business model. They target small towns and sell a little bit of everything (excluding the fun stuff, hardware, guns, bait tackle ect)
If you enjoy gambling... they are a certified FedEx hub.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Well our DG stores are out here away from all the townie ghetto trash that goes to walmart.

The folks in there are usually more civil, more polite, they usually are in there directly for what they want. No aimless browsing

1. Beer is usually immediately the right, milk is just a little further. Everything you need is on the first two lanes beside the beer coolers. Little debbie, chef Boy’Ardee, vienna sausages, cheddar bacon pringles,

The other 90% of the store is Comet, toilet paper, white trash cosmetics and fouck, I dont know have never been to that side of the store.

Sums it up perfectly.
That’s Boomer bait for sure.

If it's your wife's birthday or schiet like that... or winter.

Yea, Walmart has BBQ vienna sausages. so there.
All in good humor. But the reality is...rural folks that have a 80 or 100 mile round trip to a store these little stores are great. In our area we were down to one small market, Ray's Food, with gouge pricing and they were actually stocking shelves and reefers with stuff that was on or past sell-by date. Too bad DG aren't set up to sell a few veggies and frozen meat. Their Clover Valley house brands are pretty good quality.
They serve a purpose, and if a person is willing to shop, he can save money there. They are badly understaffed in terms of check-outs.
Wear anything, that goes here, about like the Walmart’s in east Texas
They're building one about a mile and quarter from me. Supposed to open next month. Maybe on a half acre lot, rumor is that they paid $100,000 for the land. They already one 6 miles away, and another about 8. Guess they're after all that Mennonite money.
You should make a fashion statement for all the local Dollar General habitues. A well tailored dark blue suit, starched white shirt with French cuffs and tasteful gold cuff links, a handome tie of the day's fashion, and highly polished black Florsheim shoes. Dressed in this manner, the locals will be so impressed they'll want to emulate your dress and soon, Dollar General will be a noted gathering place where all the locals in fine dress gather to shop, chat, exchange local news and recipes, and become civilized friends.

If your tailor is talented at his craft, no one will ever suspect you're carrying a Colt's Govt. Model 1911 in a shoulder holster under your suit coat. smile

Please post a couple of pictures regarding same. wink

L.W.
Good place to buy super glue and cheaters.

The wife and I like to go on long drives around the countryside. We drive around until we've counted 10 Dollar General stores, then go home. It usually takes 60-70 miles, and then we've seen/driven by 10 DGs. We get a kick out of it. Heck, I've got four of them within a seven mile stretch of road, the nearest is probably less than a mile from the house.

They literally spring up like weeds around rural Kentucky, two drops of water and a week later, there's another DG store stuck out in the middle of nothing. Amazing, really, how quick they spring up. I can't recall ever being IN one, but there they are. We also have more than our share of Family Dollar and Dollar Tree stores around here.
DGs and the other dollar stores are like the mini-big corporate Walmarts. Any mom and pop that is within a reasonable driving distance will be put out of business. The big box corps have replaced the small proprietorship LOCALLY OWNED that support rural local economies.
Even if you don’t shop there, their stock might be worth buying. They might be one of the fastest growing brands going. They continue to build stores all around us and across our region. Something about a business model that caters to people that like saving money on normal items and don’t want to go to Walmart
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
DGs and the other dollar stores are like the mini-big corporate Walmarts. Any mom and pop that is within a reasonable driving distance will be put out of business. The big box corps have replaced the small proprietorship LOCALLY OWNED that support rural local economies.

100% correct. I read a while back that DG with its sheer number of stores/purchasing power can leverage better wholesale retailer pricing than just about any store other than Walmart. Mom and pop stores don’t have a chance between the prices or number of employees it would take to track, order, and, inventory the number of items that a DG can stock in a small space all tracked and ordered from a central office.
We miss Fred’s stores. They’ve all closed around here and left Dollar General about the only game around.

One just opened a month ago in our little town of 400 or so. Haven't been in it yet, hate getting all gussied up......
They are handy.

They won’t have all the brands you like, but they’ll have what you need.

The clover valley store brand isn’t no worse than Great Value.

The store will depend on the manager.

We got one in town. Holy chit. Looks like a tornado goes thru it.

Stuff in the aisle. Shelves look ramshackle.

Bunch of democrats shop there.

Another is clean as a whistle. Less democrats shop there.

Being rural stores. They get robbed often.

Originally Posted by flintlocke
All in good humor. But the reality is...rural folks that have a 80 or 100 mile round trip to a store these little stores are great. In our area we were down to one small market, Ray's Food, with gouge pricing and they were actually stocking shelves and reefers with stuff that was on or past sell-by date. Too bad DG aren't set up to sell a few veggies and frozen meat. Their Clover Valley house brands are pretty good quality.

Some DG stores already do and more are adding them in certain areas. Things like assorted kinds of frozen vegetables and fresh basic veggies like potatoes. carrots, lettuce, cabbage, bell peppers, mushrooms, celery, etc., and fresh fruit like bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, tangerines, etc., and also packaged frozen and refrigerated meats -- chicken strips, ground beef, fish and seafood, steak portions, bacon, lunch meats, hotdogs, etc. Dairy products like milk, cheese, butter, eggs, ice cream, etc. The bigger Dollar General Market Stores stock fresh meats along with a wide variety of fresh and frozen veggies, fruits and meats.

Around this area pretty much all the little mom and pop grocery / general stores had already either shut down or on their last leg thanks to Walmart well before DG stores started moving in.

Originally Posted by gregintenn
They are like WalMart, but not as fancy.

Uhm...I have seen the pictures and that doesn't inspire one to confidence.

wear UR mask

don't flirt with the checkers......

They'll follow you home
They got cokes, smokes, and snickers bars.

And a buncha other stuff.
A Dollar General grand opening is definitely a black tie event.

Sock, you even asking about this tells us you’re lacking in too many social refinements to count.

Take a few hookers with you, they can fill out employment applications and you’ll be a rock-star in the community.

🦫😬
The ones around here are a magnet for white trash....Filthy nasty ....
Only thing I'd add is if you're gonna buy food check where its made.
Smoked oysters- made in China. Yeeeeah, I don't think so.
I been told nonprescription meds are a good bit cheaper at DG.........try not to make eye contact with anyone while in there.
They sell my sweet tea and fancy bottled water cheaper than any place.

I don’t mind looking at fug’d up people. Makes me feel better about myself.

😂🦫
The Clover Valley chili mix will cauterize hemorrhoids. A normal anglo can't eat the stuff. Otherwise, I like DG.
gives opportunity for jobs to the unemployable
Originally Posted by renegade50
They got cokes, smokes, and snickers bars.

And a buncha other stuff.

yea

heard our local one had some purty good weed.......

behind the counter.....
Originally Posted by Salty303

Salty

they beat Amazon on the nose hair clipper prices too

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
I like em.

I’ll go to DG 10:1 vs the Walmart’s.

The $12 blue jeans are a good buy for work pants.

The $1 spray bottle of LA’s totally awesome cleaner is a steal.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

100% correct. I read a while back that DG with its sheer number of stores/purchasing power can leverage better wholesale retailer pricing than just about any store other than Walmart. Mom and pop stores don’t have a chance between the prices or number of employees it would take to track, order, and, inventory the number of items that a DG can stock in a small space all tracked and ordered from a central office.

I talked to some managers and They go through LOTS of inventory every week. The only thing it adds to local rural economies is the few low wage hires that work as cashiers and stock.
Since my family has run small proprietorships since the old coal mine company towns. They got out of those and set up shop with high risk and personal losses for decades before success came.
I try to see things from the perspective of individuals and communities, which is counter to the cheap conveniences that people destroy their own areas with.
It's caused young adult children to move far away, churches to close, and the interdependent local ecology/economies to turn to gt welfare instead of free enterprises. This has led small crime free neighborhoods to turn into rural "hoods" of drugs, whores, welfare and senior poverty as their wealth is taken for property taxes.

Breaks my heart.
Originally Posted by blanket
gives opportunity for jobs to the unemployable

That's a good enough reason to shop there or any other big box discount retailer. I'm serious, making productive citizens out of people who would otherwise not be gets you halfway to heaven.
The neighborhood country store of the 21st century , with larger inventory, better prices & no momma cat having kittens on the meat slicer.
I live out in the sticks, so to speak. We've got a gas station and Post Office a coupla miles from the house.

but I ain't regular.

What are the behavioral expectations for a home-town Dollar General? How must one conduct themselves in said establishment when they're a local? Is there a dress code.

You need clothes, a mask and money or a CC.

I love DG when im on the road and not regular, but in that case Burger King or Mickey Ds will do. Screw Family Dollar. They want your money, no schiett.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Good place to buy super glue and cheaters.

The one time I was in a DG was on a mission to get super glue.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Salty303

Salty

they beat Amazon on the nose hair clipper prices too

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Shouldn't that be on the boomer thread? hahahaha

Or didn't slum have a grooming thread he's cleaning up his act lately
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Sock, you even asking about this tells us you’re lacking in too many social refinements to count.

Take a few hookers with you, they can fill out employment applications and you’ll be a rock-star in the community.

🦫😬

Sadly, I believe you are correct. This may be my only play. Unfortunately, the local talent is...lacking.

From what I’ve seen at the local one here, that only applies to men. Seen more than one gal in what I assume were panties and a semi long t shirt. Not the ones you want to see though.

Sometimes they have cold beer on sale. Try not to pay a mind to the baby mamas rummagin' through their suitcase purse for the Clorox coupon.
DG serves as a Fedex pickup point. It took me a week to get my $800 3d printer that was delivered there. They claimed they didn't have it but after the seller and fedex got involved it was magically found in the managers office.

Basically it is a mini walmart for people in the sticks.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Sometimes they have cold beer on sale. Try not to pay a mind to the baby mamas rummagin' through their suitcase purse for the Clorox coupon.

15pk keystone ice for $5.79 sometimes. 👍👍🇺🇸
A lot of the merchandise is smaller quantity special packaging for DG that allows them to sell the product slightly cheaper but with higher markup. They carry an amazing variety of merchandise.
Scratch the pajamas and wife beater, but don't diss my Crocs. They ARE the uniform of the day...every day...year round. I do wish the style I prefer would come in something other than camo. We don't have a DG here but I'm told that Crocs are the preferred footwear.
Their business plan is to catch Walmartians before they get to Walmart.
They even buy the closed Walmart neighborhood marts with gas pumps, pimped out DG right there.
must admit to wearing crocs myself. wife got me a pair of the lined ones for my birfday and damned if those things ain't comfortable.
I wear the Crocs year round but in the winter I also wear Costo's merino socks with them. I'm retired and don't give a damn about what people think of my comfort wear.
Nothing in a dollar store costs a dollar.
Kind of a cross between K-mart and a bait shop with no bait. If you have pants on you’ll do fine.
Op, if you don’t like the Dollar General, just wait there’s usually a Family Dollar that’ll go up right across the road.
Originally Posted by overmax
Op, if you don’t like the Dollar General, just wait there’s usually a Family Dollar that’ll go up right across the road.

Ain't that the truth....
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by overmax

Ain't that the truth....

And a Dollar Tree the year after that.
I love Dollar General. 4 mile trip and at most 30 minutes from leaving my driveway to return home. Milk, OTC meds, Diet Pepsi, Mom's graham crackers, whole wheat bread, sour cream, cheese, eggs, spices, canned beans, coffee, chips, pet food, paper towels, trash bags, insect repellant, laundry and dish soap. Most of all I avoid Walmart.
Can't forget the canned cheese.
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
....If you have pants on you’ll do fine.

That's not a hard and fast requirement judging by the one closest to me.
Originally Posted by Hastings
I love Dollar General. 4 mile trip and at most 30 minutes from leaving my driveway to return home. Milk, OTC meds, Diet Pepsi, Mom's graham crackers, whole wheat bread, sour cream, cheese, eggs, spices, canned beans, coffee, chips, pet food, paper towels, trash bags, insect repellant, laundry and dish soap. Most of all I avoid Walmart.

Tell me more about these graham crackers.

🦫😬

Sadly, I believe you are correct. This may be my only play. Unfortunately, the local talent is...lacking.

Only play?...Sock, you’re the, well, Sock, and you have choices...

Now, you go rent, or in today’s world, go steal that tuxedo off a mannequin. Then search and find that alley meth-head hottie and take her as your date. Go have some fun!

PS

Graham crackers are located on the same isle, right next to all the denture glues and cleaning tablets.

😂🦫
Near useless stores. Don't even sell ammo or fishing tackle so I very rarely go in one.

🦫😬

Only play?...Sock, you’re the, well, Sock, and you have choices...

Now, you go rent, or in today’s world, go steal that tuxedo off a mannequin. Then search and find that alley meth-head hottie and take her as your date. Go have some fun!

PS

Graham crackers are located on the same isle, right next to all the denture glues and cleaning tablets.

😂🦫

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Their Ekrich brand sliced turkey is excellent. Best around. But when they run out of something, it seems like weeks before they're restocked.

New Dollar General going in about 3.5 miles down the road. Big happenings for these parts and some folks are all twitterpated about it. I've been in a few DG's, mostly for the contraband Thin Mints, but I ain't a regular.

What are the behavioral expectations for a home-town Dollar General? How must one conduct themselves in said establishment when they're a local? Is there a dress code I need to be aware of? I don't want to embarrass myself or my family name during the Grand Opening event.

Believe me. Anything goes.......PJs in the middle of the day, uncombed hair, dirty camo suits, muddy boots, grease covered mechanic overalls...........Come as you are, as long as you have money! Don't worry, if you don't like the one going in now, just wait a week or two and there will be another one built 5 miles down the road.
Originally Posted by reivertom

Believe me. Anything goes.......PJs in the middle of the day, uncombed hair, dirty camo suits, muddy boots, grease covered mechanic overalls...........Come as you are, as long as you have money! Don't worry, if you don't like the one going in now, just wait a week or two and there will be another one built 5 miles down the road.

Is the long mullet still allowed in DG?

Asking for a pard.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
Originally Posted by Reloder28

It does at Dollar Tree

It does at Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree’s are primo training ground for shoplifters.

🦫
I love our DG store. One of the full time checkers is anorexic. I like throwing up on the counter (no pun) chips, candy, and doughnuts just to watch her rib cage move from her stomach starting to engage it’s puke cycle.

🦫
They sell charity shortbread cookies for the blind or retarded or some bunch, that are damn good. Big round cookies with chocolate on one side, sold in a sleeve for a dollar. They're kinda like Fudge Stripe cookies except these actually taste good.

The ones around here don't sell booze though.
I was in one of our area rural stores. They really are all within 7 miles.

The young man working the store had his own music playing on the store’s overhead comfort compulsive soothing shopping audio system

It was The Sickness by Disturbed. And old album yes but.... anyway.

I got a chuckle looking at the Halloween clearance candy and hearing
“ Open up your hate, and let it flow into me
Get up, come on get down with the sickness “

Some old grannies in there going through table cloths and candles. 🤣

Haha

got my chit and left, was a polite kid, I didnt say anything.

Well....my son has a big party out here( this was all last year)

Among 12-15 people I see this kid, LOL
i totally busted him out. He’s a chemistry major. Good kid just dgaf Lol
I’m expecting Walmart and Dollar General to go out of business because everything they sell is made in China. I think that their will be war between the USA and allies; and China. China got the first blow by attacking us with Coronavirus. We shouldn’t buy anything from our enemies , China.

It does at Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree’s are primo training ground for shoplifters.

🦫

The closest one here is

I was nearly knocked over one time by 3
big shaniqua's running out the door each
with a green basket overflowing with
cosmetics and glue on fingernails and
hair pieces and related garbage
The cashier didn't say a word nor any of
the dozen people waiting in line
They have beer , bacon and propane . You can hit a Dollar General and grab enough to get you through 3 or 4 days at camp .
Originally Posted by reivertom

Is the long mullet still allowed in DG?

Asking for a pard.

🦫

Allowed????? It is almost necessary to blend in...
I got some large, heavy glass beer mugs from Dollar Tree

For a dolla

Keep one in the freezer for Root Beer floats
Dollar General for Tampons.

The End

🦫
Was shopping in one the other day.

Big old white girl cashier.
The awkward size of either big or pregnant, but hard to tell.

Her the other cashier ask her when she due.

Any day now....

Was leaving, she’s outside taking long drags off a cig.
🤦🏻‍♂️🤘🏻
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Was shopping in one the other day.

Big old white girl cashier.
The awkward size of either big or pregnant, but hard to tell.

Her the other cashier ask her when she due.

Any day now....

Was leaving, she’s outside taking long drags off a cig.
🤦🏻‍♂️🤘🏻

That’s disgusting !

At least a Stripper who snout roots lines of coke on her break knows the importance of staying in shape.

🦫

Do they sponsor a NASCAR team yet? That will get them big time street cred with the white trash.
Originally Posted by Hastings

Tell me more about these graham crackers.

I don't think this is what He is speaking of, but they sell a chocolate covered graham cracker that is very good. miles
The jumbo soft baked choc chip cookies in the single pack on the snack aisle are good.

$.50 each.
I used to have a girlfriend that thought a fun weekend was driving to Falmouth, KY where they had 2 dollar stores-- one was a DG.

Recently Falmouth got a new Dollar General superstore. It's got a lot of everything. It comes close to what Kresge's used to be (before K-Mart).

I used to feel that a basic survival skill was being able to go into a Dollar Store and a Convenience Store and outfit an entire camping trip in under 60 minutes. It freed you up from having to plan a lot ahead. It came in handy; my best friend died with all my gear in a storage locker in Florida. I flew down to get his stuff and mine home, and found my camping gear was tied up in Probate. There I was in the middle of Ocala National Forest with nothing. 30 minutes in the Dollar Store and another 15 minutes in the Convenience Store, and KYHIllChick and I were living like royalty.

1) Dress code is loose, but I would be wearing the same clothes I'd go into a diner-- shirt, shoes, pants. Don't stand out.

2) Use the same sense and awareness you'd have in a Walmart or a supermarket.

3) Don't be a dick. DG usually has a bunch of scared women running the place. They are not trained to handle emergencies well. They are more likely to call the cops, because they don't know how to handle it any better.

4) Don't get involved. If stuff ever starts going down in a DG, just drop your load and leave quietly. DG is not the place to make your stand for Peace, Justice, and the American Way.
One just appeared in our little town of 388 people. No alcohol though. Five churches in a tiny town!
Originally Posted by thardy
One just appeared in our little town of 388 people. No alcohol though. Five churches in a tiny town!

Must be none of them are Catholic.

All you need to wear is your socks, you'll be fine
Sell your schit and move.

Property values dont increase when the DG stores start showing up.

They are like carrion beetles.
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I don't know how Rapes Market stay in business. Freaking highway robbery.

Same here & a pretty good description. That’s why I shops there. Quick in and out & everything I need is on the first few aisles.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
You should make a fashion statement for all the local Dollar General habitues. A well tailored dark blue suit, starched white shirt with French cuffs and tasteful gold cuff links, a handome tie of the day's fashion, and highly polished black Florsheim shoes. Dressed in this manner, the locals will be so impressed they'll want to emulate your dress and soon, Dollar General will be a noted gathering place where all the locals in fine dress gather to shop, chat, exchange local news and recipes, and become civilized friends.

If your tailor is talented at his craft, no one will ever suspect you're carrying a Colt's Govt. Model 1911 in a shoulder holster under your suit coat. smile

Please post a couple of pictures regarding same. wink

L.W.

LW, I have read your post 37 times in an attempt to truly pick up what you're laying down. It's clear you're a man who understands the situation. I ransacked my wardrobe and have come up with 2 options for the Grand Opening. I'd appreciate your input on the appropriate choice. I can always wear the other choice to the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony (I haven't been invited but have no doubt they would love to have me in attendance).

Been a DG in the small town (pop. 900) nearest my cabin in rural north central PA, for over ten years.

Mentally-challenged girl torched it several years ago, while it was open for business. Started a fire in the stock room. DG built a new one on the site, doubled the size of the store. Family Dollar had just opened a store, other end of town, not long before the arson job. Local humor was that FD gave the girl a free candy bar to light up the DG. Locals prefer the DG over the FD by a huge margin.

One grocery store in that town and no other grocery within 20 miles. Owner sold out to a half assed regional chain that everyone hates. They only have chain branded frozen veggies, etc. Pretty much everyone now shops for such at the DG, because they have national brand frozen foods at lower prices. Same brand of bread at DG is a buck cheaper than at the grocery..Same delivery truck delivers bread to both places. DG has a larger choice of OTC medications than the grocery and at lower prices.

In the past few years, now a DG about every 15-20 miles or so across that area. Mom and pop stores had already disappeared in most of those small towns, years ago. One village 13 miles to the west, fought like hell to keep DG from building over there. Then their crappy local grocery closed up and suddenly the opposition disappeared.

🦫😬

Dearest Beav, you know I consider you half friend/half spirit animal. The size/shape/build/moral standing of the hooker(s) is still TBD, but I wanna do this thing right. I got one shot to make my mark on this SOB so I'm going to turn this new DG into my fire hydrant so the outsiders know who's boss. Would this ensemble be over the top for opening day or should I save it for the gala?

Originally Posted by dubePA

In the past few years, now a DG about every 15-20 miles or so across that area. Mom and pop stores had already disappeared in most of those small towns, years ago. One village 13 miles to the west, fought like hell to keep DG from building over there. Then their crappy local grocery closed up and suddenly the opposition disappeared.

Yeah, I never understood the loyalty to mom n pop community stores. Most of them around here were happy to sell you a half gallon of out-of-date milk for five dollars, and old Grampa behind the counter there wouldn't piss on you or your neighbors if you were on fire.
Next year you'll be able to do all your Christmas shopping in one place, close to home!
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Next year you'll be able to do all your Christmas shopping in one place, close to home!

This is a huge benefit I hadn't considered. I've got 8 months until my wife and I's 22nd anniversary; is that enough time to become familiar with the products and services offered at DG so I can make a gift decision?

Now, that's just dandy!
Add a plaid derby and you're good to go.
anybody live in an area where a dollar store has gone out of business?

seems like that would really be a sign....
Originally Posted by Sycamore
anybody live in an area where a dollar store has gone out of business?

seems like that would really be a sign....

Small town a few miles away had a new Dollar Tree. About a year later a DG was built across the street. Within a few months the 'Tree was another vacant property.
Just Like Wal-Mart.

The shoppers reflect the community.
The trash don't drive far to go to Wal-mart, its their local store.
If your store is full of them....It's your community.

Well, that's a rural perspective.
If you are more urban, then that may change things.

I used to haul dedicated for McCrory Stores.
Florida to Maine, Wisconsin to Texas, they weren't all called
McCrory, but they had stores all over the eastern half of the US.
Anyway, I could have described where the store was when unloading the
freight. Even if I hadn't driven there.
Rubbing Alcohol and Douche were the easiest tells.
If there was a case or two for the store, it was rural or suburban.
If it was inner city?
10 plus cases of each!
Must be some nasty birds in the 'hood!

Here, Wal-Mart and DG are our only choices.
Hell, we don't even have a Super Wally.
Ours has very limited food,mostly just some frozen and canned.
Last year after Christmas we stopped at a local Dollar Tree to see what they had on sale. It was a total wreck. There was stuff all over the floor and nothing on the shelves was even vaguely in order. It looked like a troop of monkeys had ransacked it. Much of the merchandise was damaged.
Originally Posted by auk1124

Yeah, I never understood the loyalty to mom n pop community stores. Most of them around here were happy to sell you a half gallon of out-of-date milk for five dollars, and old Grampa behind the counter there wouldn't piss on you or your neighbors if you were on fire.

You're right about that. Where I previously lived, next-door neighbors build a small convenience store attached to their house. The next nearest store of any kind was seven miles away, so it was very successful, although people couldn't stand the woman who ran it. I once saw an elderly gent come in for a coffee. Well respected, lifelong member of the community, life member of my fire company. She handed him his coffee, and he reached into his pockets and said he forgot his change purse. She immediately snatched the cup from his hands! I paid for it. Another time, her husband and her brother had made plans to go rabbit hunting with me. Hubby came out to the truck and in a hushed voice, said "Sorry guys, Gert won't let me leave the store."
Wife just got back from DG this morning. $5 off $25 on Saturdays, digital coupons. Her total, before the $5 off and digital coupons was $32 and change. Total paid was $13 and change.

Ours also sells beer and very good prices. Hell, I got 15 Jack Link sticks for a penny a piece just 2 weeks ago. Dogs love them.
Little store on the 502 that isn't there anymore. Stopped in because one of the party thought that "Gas Bar" meant that they sold both gas and beer. We weren't fully through the door before the Mrs. announced that we couldn't use the restroom unless we bought something.
We have DG, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree near hear.

The Tree is by far the nicest.
But, its in the strip mall and has only been there a couple years.
So it's newer.
But it's well kept.

The DG is old and worn, but decent.
It's a good spot in town, so they just keep using it.
But around us they keep building new ones.
They have abandoned several that were only 15 years old
and built bigger ones.

Not that it matters, but DG doesn't own the buildings.
They contract to lease and the owner builds to their spec.
Pretty good deal from what I understand.

Family Dollar?
Old, worn, not well kept.
Don't go there much.
About 2 years ago, there was talk of putting a DG in our community, but for some reason it was put on hold. Mayor told me that DG had put a lot of new stores on hold, it wasn't just the one in our community. There is one about 10 miles from us and it is clean and well run. Slummy described the layout of the store to a 't'.
we call our doller store "the mall"

🦫😬

Dearest Beav, you know I consider you half friend/half spirit animal. The size/shape/build/moral standing of the hooker(s) is still TBD, but I wanna do this thing right. I got one shot to make my mark on this SOB so I'm going to turn this new DG into my fire hydrant so the outsiders know who's boss. Would this ensemble be over the top for opening day or should I save it for the gala?

Sock, you done-did us all proud...

🦫

🦫😬

I loved your music in Kentucky Headhunters.

“Dumas whoppers” is a classic.

🦫

What the hell is that thing? Looks like an Ewok after an Allman Brothers concert
Originally Posted by auk1124

🦫

What the hell is that thing? Looks like an Ewok after an Allman Brothers concert

Lemur....My inner animal spirit.

Ladies love the tongue.

😂🦫
I confess. After all this, I ended up going to a Dollar Tree today.

My recliner gave out yesterday after 20 years of faithful service to myself and my father. We had to go looking for a new one this AM. We were 10 minutes early to the furniture store and there was a Dollar Tree next store. I went a little nuts, but only because they had so many good things I'd been looking for

32 OZ plastic stadium cups. I've got a mouth full of expensive dental work. I try to keep my use of glass to a minimum
Nice cheap coffee mugs for deer camp. The $.25 cups we bought at the Falmouth DG started breaking after 15 years of service.
Plastic dog bowls. I like to eat my dinner out of one. It's a long story, but they are actually easier to deal with for stew, soup, etc. My newest one is 30-some years old.
Frozen Jamaican meat patties. KYHillChick and I acquire a taste for them on our honeymoon. Now I need a 6-pack of Ting to go with them.

The check out lady was the same age as KYHillChick and me-- 62. We had a charming chat while she was checking us out.

We then went next door and found a new recliner-- the one I liked best was on sale!!!
Ok..

Dog bowl threw me for a loop.

#getyourfreakon
#boomers
#cabinfever
Heads up / quick mini review.

The $3 clover valley chub of summer sausage doesn’t make for good deer stand break fast food.

There may be consequences and repercussions.

#bubbleguts
#dudewipes
its my go-to when i need a wiffle ball set, foam cooler and overpriced half sized bag of kingsford.

The $3 clover valley chub of summer sausage doesn’t make for good deer stand break fast food.

#bubbleguts
#dudewipes

But it doesn't need to be refrigerated . laugh
We got one that moved into downsized Walmart location.....seems they were a flop everywhere. Anyway, soon as they opened up were immediate success. Got the best prices on all the basic items you need....toilet tissue, paper products, etc. Even got nice freezer section. We shop there quiet often and don't have to travel so far. They popping up in all the out of the way places....buying stock in them....should be a winner with the economy we got coming.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

#bubbleguts
#dudewipes

But it doesn't need to be refrigerated . laugh

That’s the reason i grabbed it. Next time I’ll just get the slim Jim brand sausge / cheese combo pack.

They be good.

Gotta be weary with un-refrigerated meat not in a can. 😂🤪
I have found the stock to be a really good investment, It has went up 40% since I bought it. I will offer a tidbit of information maybe someone can figure it out and make some money. Almost every time the Dow and S&P go up DG drops a little and when the Dow and S&P start to climb DG drops. I would expect DG to loose a little when the stimulus checks start getting cashed. If anyone can use this information and make a little something thats great. I can always use a can of those fancy toffee peanuts.

Dollar Tree bought Family Dollar a while back and closed a bunch of Family Dollar stores.

Dollar General sometimes locates new stores in some pretty odd out-of-the-way places.

They built a nice big brand new store with a large parking lot a few miles from here on a little two lane state road, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest little town (more of small grouping of houses with a few churches) 4 - 5 miles away in the opposite direction. The only plus to the location I can see is it's close to on / off access to a interstate hwy.
I think they study their demographic market and location pretty well before they put in a store, they are a huge success around here.Nearest real competition is 38 miles away. Wish I had bought a block of their stock back when.
A couple small towns up here will not let Dollar Generals open up.They drive out the small Ma &Pa grocery stores.
Originally Posted by Huntz
A couple small towns up here will not let Dollar Generals open up.They drive out the small Ma &Pa grocery stores.

In these parts, lot of DG are rural. “Out in the county”.
i was pleasantly surprised when i went in one a while back. decent selection of stuff you need. they have sprung up like meadow mushrooms in rural PA. and as for mom and pops, i don't know of any around anymore. the owner of the last one i knew dropped dead behind the counter last summer.

The single most common reason for long time small town 'mom & pop' stores to close their doors forever I've seen here around my area is the original owners die or get too old and have health issues and can't run them any longer and their kids / heirs for their own reasons either can't or don't want to take them over.
Last time I was in a Dollar General we were having a large family breakfast and my sisters toaster died. Dollar General around the corner. Got a toaster for $10. Sister is still using it 5 years later haha
Knowing that Dollar Tree and FD are under the same corporate umbrella, here's a real poser for ya: We've had a Dollar Tree in a small strip mall here for years. Not my favorite, limited scope of merchandise, not even close to DG. Well, a few weeks ago they've opened a Family Dollar, almost right next to it in the same strip mall.

Last Mom'n Pop we had around here, closed several years ago, also sold gas. Ol' boy that owned it was a genuine character, always enjoyed stopping in there over the past 40 years. Sold coal, straw and had a helluva mess of hardware in the back.

NC native, worked that accent all to hell and had a good location on a major two lane between two I-81 exits, until a Turkey Hill opened on either side of him. One three miles to the east, the another one four miles to the west, on same road. Both of them were close to the I-81 exits and killed his gas business. He croaked, neither one of his lazy assed kids were interested in keeping it open.
Lazy assed kids suck.

In these parts, lot of DG are rural. “Out in the county”.

They've been popping up on some stretches of highway that doesn't have a town around for 30 miles. I've seen some built recently in the middle of places that I never thought I'd see a store. They all do a good business, country folks that usually drove 30 miles to town once a week for shopping can now drive a couple of miles and pick up almost anything they need.
I've got a childhood friend, that has a contract to do electrical work in some of the new Dollar General Stores. He told me their biggest store is like 3,600 sq. ft. and they go in mostly rural areas, as property taxes are lower. I know before I moved from AR, it seemed like there was a Dollar General on every corner, if not a Dollar General, then it had a church or a bank on it.
They are cheaper for one reason, you stop there because they are closer than the major chain grocery store, you go in and buy what you need instead of being distracted by all the stuff you don't need, then you leave.

They do better than most small town stores due to having stronger buying power.

It was a well thought out plan and it's working great for them.
© 24hourcampfire