Home
I have a semi automatic 20 gauge which Is my turkey gun and I was considering using for predators as well. But the more I think about it the more I think a 12 gauge will be beneficial. Being that I use my 20 gauge for turkeys and deer, I was considering a 12ga AR style shotgun for home defense and also being a nice compact gun for predators and running bobcats with dogs. What are your thoughts on AR shotgun’s?? Or should I just stick with a traditional semi automatic shotgun, something like a Mossberg 930

Something like the one below. Feel free to make recommendations

https://www.armslist.com/posts/12948769/...de--tac-pro--12
I want one now
I got to shoot a Saiga, it was fun as hell. I’d think it would work well for your application, but I hear prices have soared on them 🤷🏻‍♂️
DBM fed shotguns have always been strange to me. The shells are a natural fit for a tube mag given their shape and length variation, and tube mags make for a more svelte profile.

If you just want something non-traditional, get a KSG. Lighter than most AR shotguns, shorter even with the stock collapsed, and much higher capacity especially when loaded with Federal Shorts or Aguila Minis.

Someone posted Black Aces Tactical a few days ago and they look interesting.

https://blackacestactical.com/
Of course another answer would be to buy something like a Mossberg 930 for predators AND buy a KSG or something more purpose built for defense… But I always try to think about dual purpose uses for guns when I buy them. As long as that thought process does not put me at a serious disadvantage in one of the two areas I am trying to cover
Evening crowd
I don’t have much experience with AR style shotguns other than having shot a bunch. If it were me and considering the availability, commonality and cost of extra magazines I’d rather have a Benelli M2 or similar.

Good luck whatever you decide and hopefully you’ll give us your thoughts on it once you’ve spent some time with it.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I don’t have much experience with AR style shotguns other than having shot a bunch. If it were me and considering the availability, commonality and cost of extra magazines I’d rather have a Benelli M2 or similar.

Good luck whatever you decide and hopefully you’ll give us your thoughts on it once you’ve spent some time with it.

Yep.

I talked with the owner of a hog hunting by helicopter service. He'd bought half a dozen of those 12ga AR style shotguns for clients to shoot hogs with.

He told me flat out they look better than they shoot. wink
Not a fan at all of the AR pattern shotguns, all of the handling of an AR goes out the window with them. I loved the 14" Benelli I carried for a long time and still reach for a RIA Tac 4 if I want a scattergun for social work but do not intend to invest in an AR shotgun at all. The only advantage I can see is if someone's gun handling experience is limited to ARs only and wants operational familiarity.
My buddy had a Turkish one FS that I wished I bought when he was open for business. It was a great price and since, I ve heard that the turks have some decent arms manufacturers. It looked like everything was standard, but only so much one can tell without investigation. Others would have to speak to that, but it might be worth looking up.
PS: Quick reloading with preloaded mags would be one benefit over tube fed.

Then there's
AND
Inclined to think a competent wing shooter would walk away from those toys.
What happened about the AR that you were going to buy with your $1500 bonus check?
Originally Posted by UPhiker
What happened about the AR that you were going to buy with your $1500 bonus check?

That’s a rifle and I’m asking about shotguns here. That was a different purchase. I also bought a 17Hornet and an HK VP9SK with my bonus.

today I decided I want a shotgun too lol
Tri-star, VR60 and VR80 are decent for shotguns for around $600.

I know a guy with a VR60, he has an eotech mounted and a Carlson predator choke installed. He claims it patterns good out to about 70 yards with 3 inch 4 buck. It’s his coyote gun.
Originally Posted by viking
i know a guy with a VR60, he has an eotech mounted and a Carlson predator choke installed. He claims it patterns good out to about 70 yards with 3 inch 4 buck. It’s his coyote gun.

That’s impressive!!
Posted By: 35 Re: AR shotgun for coyote/defense - 01/04/21
Benelli SBE II 24" barrel !
One and done !!
Posted By: MOGC Re: AR shotgun for coyote/defense - 01/05/21
I'll tell you what I told you over at Predator Masters. Get a Benelli M2 with a +2 magazine extension. You'll either be out of coyotes or yardage before you are out of shells.
Seems like “great timing” to get a heckuva deal on an “AR shotgun”. Maybe pick up a couple thousand rounds of 223 at the local Cabelas, and 8-10 bricks of 22 LR, whole you’re at it.....

Whatever you find (if anything), I wouldn’t think about it too long.

Let us know how it goes....
Why bother. An AR in 5.56 will do both jobs better and be far more reliable.

mike r
Posted By: RayF Re: AR shotgun for coyote/defense - 01/05/21
The box fed shotties tend to be problematic. I shot the Panzer (AR) and the Lynx (AK). Plenty of guys have luck, but enough people have problems that I’m convinced it’s hit or miss....that’s why I got the Tavor TS12. Its a toy, but its a pretty awesome dedicated assault shotgun.

lvmiker really has a good point. That 20ga will do HD just fine. Getting another shotgun seems like a duplicated effort. A 16” AR-15 is darn near perfect for a budget varmint gun while extending your HD capabilities.

Just my 2 cents.
Had a saiga and it was very cool for range or combat style uses.

Traded it for a Benelli sbe2 and added +4 extension which I don’t leave on all the time. Added a pistol grip stock For turkey and predator and a ff2.

It serves me well duck, coyote, or turkey hunting.

Brother has the AR style( not sure which brand). It wasn’t cheap I do know that

The benelli is better and he agrees. His isn’t very smooth cycling or reliable.
I quit shooting 3 Gun matches because the shotgun portion turned it into an equipment and loading contest. Rifle and pistol can be won by the best shooter/athlete. An AR is probably the closest thing to an all around gun. Will kill anything from africans to Polar Bears.

mike r
Your info guys I appreciate it. I will look at traditional shotguns instead
© 24hourcampfire