Home
Thinking of relocating to Mississippi, for several reasons that I don't need to go into here.

Anyone know what the story is for hunting and fishing?

I may end up in Leake County - near the center of the state.

Anyone spend any time there?
I've driven through the heart of Mississippi a few times, the place don't look as if it could support much of a deer population.

I'm sure land is probably bargain priced.
Even if you don’t buy a chunk of hunting land with timber and water cheaper than most of the rest of the country, lots of public land. Fishing is outstanding. Gators, bugs, and snakes too. Big deer.

Spend much time in the whole area you mentioned. My dad lives 45 minutes from there, his land backs up to Bienville National Forrest
czech,

You'll find plenty of hunting and fishing to be had. The state has approx. 1.5 million deer and so many creeks and rivers along with lakes to fish in you should not have any problems.

All private land is Ms. is considered posted unless you have written permission. That's not a problem. You can lease land, join a hunting club or hunt wildlife management areas. Hell the state plants food plots for you on the management areas. Two management areas within thirty minutes of my house have between them over 32,000 acres of land to hunt. My brother was in a lease in Grenada (central part of state) that had great hunting.

If you end up moving to Ms. those two hobbies will not be a problem enjoying.
Good arrowhead hunting there too
Are you running from the law?
Little girl killed this one the day after Christmas .

167 score
There’s plenty of excellent hunting In C. MS, deer, turkeys, ducks take your pick. I have lived in MS three times, but all of it was S. MS. The last time I lived there, I was looking at hunting clubs in C. MS area. Hurricane Katrina forced us to leave early in 2005, so it never panned out for me.
Originally Posted by akasparky
I've driven through the heart of Mississippi a few times, the place don't look as if it could support much of a deer population.

We've got some of the highest deer densities in the nation, we're overrun with deer.

Leake county is in excellent deer country, some big deer come from that area. The southern 1/3 of the state is the worst for deer, the sandy soil nearing the coast doesn't make for big deer. There's excellent fishing all over the state in farm ponds and plenty of state lakes plus the rivers. Saltwater fishing along the coast is fantastic.
Are you running from your wife?

Seriously????
If you do FB.

Check out the “i killed it in MS” group.

Get an idea of deer and other critters taken in the state.

I’ve been surprised at some of the deer the cane from Xyz county.

Bunch of state lakes to fish.
Pat Harrison has several lakes you can launch and fish for $10 i think.
Barnett Res is t far from Leake co.

Good inshore fishing. And hit LA easily for blue water.

For several years the state has had a draw gator season.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
If you do FB.

If you do Faceberg, please stop.

The parts of MS I have been in have been crammed with deer. The Natchez Trace in early or late hours will have multiple groups grazing on its edges every mile, mile after mile. Their season runs on the long side. Good genetics if you are a horn hunter, supplemented by a few high fence operations that big bucks run off from.

The downside is that the whole state is also crammed with joggers, to the point that there are many places a White man will need to wear his ear plugs in his nose.

Don't recall ever fishing there.

Been there once....what a s hithole of a state.....never will I set foot in the "dirty south again"

Only reason I could think of moving there is a court order or something..
2 posts from outsiders looking in......

🤦🏻‍♂️
Good food, great hunting, great fishing, that's the good.

There isn't a town in MS you can't make a Tarzan movie in. If there's a state with more negros, I hope to never see it.

They hammer you on car tags too. But I do believe it's still legal to drink and drive.
2 posts from outsiders looking in

They say that consistent exposure will acclimate a person to any scent, no matter how vile.
Isn't the west side of the state along the big river all democrat? Never been so not sure. What part of the state is the most conservative.
I have a buddy who manages a farm there, he loves it. I’m going down once the crud settles down for a visit.
Originally Posted by OldHat
Isn't the west side of the state along the big river all democrat? Never been so not sure. What part of the state is the most conservative.

If you ever go to the Delta you'll know why it votes D, it's poor, depressed and all black.

MS tends to vote the same as the state's makeup, 58/42. So if you see a white face, they vote R, if you see a black face, they vote D.
Land and housing costs in MS are among the nation's lowest. Taxes aren't bad either. There are almost as many deer in the state as there are people. The deer and turkey hunting are good. There's quite a bit of public land in MS. The Bienville NF is right near Leake CO. Some areas have solid hog populations. MS doesn't have as many big lakes as neighboring states have. Fishing is very good in the coastal area.
deer are as thick as fleas on a hound dog in Mississippi.
Tons of fishing holes in the reservoirs and rivers also.
Plenty of Private lake systems that you can get a membership to.

As Crow said, we're overrun with deer to the point you will be run over by them if you're not careful.
Originally Posted by OldHat

From Jackson to the coast, you'll be in republican territory if you are on the East side of the Pearl River.
Rankin County is one of the best counties to live in, across the river from Jackson.
Jackson was great 50 years ago, but it is like most other capital cities of southern states.....almost completely democrat.
Ross Barnett has good fishing.

Knew a guy that lived a few mins from there. He fished everyday after work.

Could find those big slab crappie. Seems like long as tip of your finger to elbow.

Went once with him jugging for catfish. Filed up one of those big white Coleman’s in a couple hours.

He killed some good bucks on the Resovoir easement property.

No else hardly hunted it cause you had to access it by boat.

Could find those big slab crappie. Seems like long as tip of your finger to elbow.

Really? Was he a dwarf.
40% African....
Good hunting around Vicksburg.

If you into bow hunting. Panther Swamp has some big bucks.
Public land.
Is your wife running from the law? That would be kinda hot.

I lived in Mississippi years ago. It was great. It's one of my potential landing sites when I finally hate winter. For now, I still love winter.
Maybe he’s kin to Oprah.she’s from the area he’s talking about.

Going back for family money. 🤪😂
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Been there once....what a s hithole of a state.....never will I set foot in the "dirty south again"

That's good news sir stay the hell out!
I have driven through MS to work for30+ years. I see deer feeding next to the interstate every trip. It is loaded with them. Seasons are long and I think you can kill 6. The cost of living is reasonable and the people are genuinely nice there. They have great fishing also. Jackson is dangerous and to be avoided.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Jackson is dangerous and to be avoided.

Yea, not many deer there, but the coon population is huge.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

We've got some of the highest deer densities in the nation, we're overrun with deer.

Leake county is in excellent deer country, some big deer come from that area. The southern 1/3 of the state is the worst for deer, the sandy soil nearing the coast doesn't make for big deer. There's excellent fishing all over the state in farm ponds and plenty of state lakes plus the rivers. Saltwater fishing along the coast is fantastic.
The southern 1/3 of MS may be the worst for deer but it is still loaded. For over 2 decades I have hunted in SW MS near the Pearl River. Plenty of deer and hogs.
Lots of fishing in the Gulf.

As well as numerous rivers.

Lived in Harrison county for 21 years and walked to the Gulf to fish for Specs, flounder and Reds.

My Mother still lives there.

They have a lot of WMA areas for hunting as well.
Originally Posted by MMM

Sir? As bitchy as that one is, I always assumed it was a menopausal chick.
Lived in Columbus, ms from 2010 to 2014. Good people, white and black. Made lifelong friends of both colors. Deer hunting was outstanding. Fishing was as well. Summer sucks, but not as bad as winter here.

I’d not care to live there again as it’s too far from family, but if you like conservative values, hunting and fishing, low taxes and space. Hard to beat.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
40% African....

Probably higher than that.But unlike you yankees,for the most part we keep them under control...
Originally Posted by Bull64
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
40% African....

Probably higher than that.But unlike you yankees,for the most part we keep them under control...

38%
Mississippi is great country.

The culture...not so much.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Mississippi is great country.

The culture...not so much.

👎🏿👎🏿
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Originally Posted by MMM

I think someone had his heart broken in the south and ran away

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by MMM

Those 2 waiting on that white claw shipment?
Originally Posted by czech1022
Thinking of relocating to Mississippi, for several reasons that I don't need to go into here.

Anyone know what the story is for hunting and fishing?

I may end up in Leake County - near the center of the state.

Anyone spend any time there?

You'll be within an hour drive of Ross Barnett Reservoir and Okatibee Lake. Some of the best crappie fishing you'll find. There's really not a bad place to go deer hunting. I live in Lauderdale county. Look me up when you get here and we can go crappie fishing.

Please stay out, we have enough democrats here.
I grew up in north Jackson and it was a good part of town and state to grow up in. There were only a few places where you had to be careful. The high school I went to was in the top 10% in the country.

It’s a different city now but as long as you stay away from the southern and western part you’ll be ok. North Jackson is still ok and Brandon to the east and Madison, Ridgeland and Canton to the north are nice places to live and is where my three siblings live.

Deer, duck, turkey and small game hunting here is awesome. Deer season, in one form or another, runs from Oct 1 to Jan 31 and in one part of the state mid Feb. The deer population is off the charts and the Fish and game dept have extended seasons time after time trying to get the numbers down.

So if you’ve been through here and you didn’t like it, don’t come back.

So if you’ve been through here and you didn’t like it, don’t come back.

[/quote]
Originally Posted by JJF

The southern 1/3 of MS may be the worst for deer but it is still loaded. For over 2 decades I have hunted in SW MS near the Pearl River. Plenty of deer and hogs.

I was referring to trophy quality and I should have said southeast part, the piney woods region north of the coastal counties. There are plenty of deer there but the size isn't what it is along the MS river.
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by MMM

those two are heading up to Bozeman, the capital of effeminate white claw beta males. lol
Im hopefully heading MS for big crappie and bass this March. Great folks in MS
I measured my elbow to my finger tip. 18.5". Pretty decent crappie.
I measured my elbow to my finger tip. 18.5". Pretty decent crappie.

My measuring tape came with a case of Miller lites. 😂
Originally Posted by MMM

those two are heading up to Bozeman, the capital of effeminate white claw beta males. lol

Oh that's right I'm in bozeman now.......lol

I meant no offense to those fine folks living in Mississippi.

But it still is and probably always will be a complete s hithole.
I was stationed at Columbus AFB from early '72 to mid '76 - almost five years. Hunting and fishing were great, and that was before they finished the Tenn-Tom waterway. Saw (and missed) the biggest whitetail I have ever seen on a small club lease in central MS. Cheap living.

Downsides: Humidity, racism (there were still "Whites Only" fountains and restrooms when I was there), a terrible school system, a depressed economy, rampant obesity, mediocre health care at best, poor roads, frequent floods, and tornadoes.

I doubt it has changed much, and I would not go back there except to fish.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I doubt it has changed much, and I would not go back there except to fish.

Great! And the fishing ain't worth a damn anymore!
© 24hourcampfire