Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Remember When? - 01/05/21
Found these the other day in my stash... smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pretty good investment. I'd say they have gone up in value... laugh
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
A feller could really stock up at those prices.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I can remember when those was 85 cents a box.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I remember 25-count packs of Remingtons that came in a flat box like Chiclets. Dad would pick up a box on Saturday night and we would go to the town dump after church on Sunday and shoot cans.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I’ve still got some like that with a Gibson’s Discount Center price tag. From GrandDads ammo stash.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I recall days when they were cheaper, 65 cents comes to mind.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
When I was shooting, weekly, in the Junior NRA local club - we got standard velocity, LR, 22's @ .38 a box.
Y'all just a bunch of kids!!!
Posted By: blanket Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
and on the plus side back then they would all go off
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Reminds me of my dad's old ammo stash. I miss those days.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I remember cheaper to. I also remember never having a lot of ammo hanging around the house. We would stop at the gun-shop and grab a couple boxes on the way to the range.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I have these, from around 1970
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I have some of those in my collection, along with several boxes of Remington Mohawk .22's, Sears Ted Williams .22's and Montgomery Ward's "Hawthorne" .22's. I shot a lot of the Remington Mohawks when I was a kid.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Highway robbery.
How about 35 cents. wink
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
When they built the Gibson's about 250 yards from our house - I thought I was in Heaven! smile smile smile
Originally Posted by mark shubert
When they built the Gibson's about 250 yards from our house - I thought I was in Heaven! smile smile smile

Best store EVER. And None of that cheap ass China schitt like Walmart.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Truth.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Like John, I had some of these 22's in the cello pack in shorts. We shot those teaching son Jake to shoot.
A tomato juice can with a snow pile for a backstop.
When I was shooting, weekly, in the Junior NRA local club - we got standard velocity, LR, 22's @ .38 a box.
Y'all just a bunch of kids!!!

Ha, i nearly grew up before buying a whole box of shotgun shells. Bought 6 or 7 at a time from a local grocer who broke boxes for us kids to hunt squirrels and wood ducks with.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
When I was a kid...you could buy a box of Winchester Wildcats for 50 cents.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Highway robbery.
How about 35 cents. wink

Best i still have is .96/box
Barry, those shorts were the ticket for squirrels when i was a kid. Shot in the head while laying low on a limb and they would tense up and stand up on all fours and pop that tail a few times before relaxing and falling.

Didnt waste bullets practicing either. Sight in and the rest were for meat.

Highway robbery.
How about 35 cents. wink
I remember buying the Remington Mohawks for 59 cents a box. I spent most of my trap line and and lawn mowing money on .22's and shotgun shells when I was a kid.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I think they were $0.65 per box when I was a kid. We would scrounge for months to collect soda bottles for their $0.02 deposit each and go to the store and trade for a box. The guy who owned the little county store would always caution us to be very careful.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I remember .22LR for a penny apiece and wondered even then how they managed to make a round of ammo for less than a penny. Not long after that, primers were a dollar a hundred. If you scrounged wheelweights and cast your own bullets, you could reload centerfire rounds like .30-30 or .30-06 for about three cents. Your only costs were primer and powder and powder ran about two dollars a pound.

For perspective, however, wages then ran about a buck fifty an hour, so you had two hours of labor for that powder and primers. Not much different than just before this current abnormal price climb.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I remember when LR hit 75 cents....I was outraged and positive the Govt. was involved!
The old men laughed about the good job 12 year old Tolbert kid did, who lived out on Piney Creek, when he went out early one winter morning with 9 shells. He missed one shot but still got a small buck and 8 squirrels by making up for the mistake by getting two in one shot.
Barry, those shorts were the ticket for squirrels when i was a kid. Shot in the head while laying low on a limb and they would tense up and stand up on all fours and pop that tail a few times before relaxing and falling.

Didnt waste bullets practicing either. Sight in and the rest were for meat.

We used those shorts on bullfrogs. 🤠
I was buying Wildcats for a penny apiece in the 90's!

You guys were getting screwed.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Today, we do well to find the 22's at at ANY price!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Today, we do well to find the 22's at at ANY price!

My LGS still had quite a bit in stock when I was in there yesterday.
Posted By: ERK Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Can’t remember the price but I bought some Coast to Coast shorts one time. Went out looking for jackrabbits when it was around 20 below. I shot at one about 50 yards away and I watched the bullet go and hit the snow about 40 yards out. LOL Never bought those again. It was fun watching thebullet go out though. Edk
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Lol, 75cents, what'd ya do buy them in 1806?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
The rifle club I belonged to in the early 60's sold junior shooters CMP Remington .22 ammo for .50 cents a box. For a couple bucks you could shoot all morning on Saturday, the club gun vault had CMP Springfield 1922's , Winchester M/52's & M/75's. The rich kids had Anschutz M/54's and BSA Martini's. The H.S. rifle team had a few CMP Springfield 1922's and Mossberg 144LS.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Sure you were. Wildcats were the same price as Remington Mohawks when I was a kid, 59 cents a box. That was in the mid 70's. Mohawks later became Thunderbolts and the quality went to shyt. Wildcats were also pretty good in the '70's but are garbage now. The comparative price per round did go down when they started bulk packaging .22's in milk cartons and such but so did the quality of the ammunition. The old Mohawks and Wildcats always went bang, sounded the same from shot to shot and were accurate. It's too bad they can't make Thunderbolts, Wildcats or bulk pack ammo that good today but low price and volume sales is all that matters now.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I bought 3 cases of CCI Blazer 22LR back in the late 90's for $79 each. That's 79 cents a box of 50. Wish I had bought a few more cases at that price.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
When I was a kid there were two places to buy ammo in our small town: the hardware store (owned by my ex-wife’s grandparents) and the sporting goods and marine store (owned by my wife’s grandfather.) either place would break a box of cf rifle or shotgun ammo, but rimfires were only by the box. I used a lot of shorts because they were cheaper and as soon as I scrounged and saved enough for ammo, I’d go down and buy some. Sometimes I’d get .22 longs.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Sure you were. Wildcats were the same price as Remington Mohawks when I was a kid, 59 cents a box. That was in the mid 70's. Mohawks later became Thunderbolts and the quality went to shyt. Wildcats were also pretty good in the '70's but are garbage now.

Ahhh...the New York schit hole....
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Those were probably priced when you could by a new car for $2500 and a living wage was maybe $7-8000/yr. Multiply all those numbers by 10 and see what the ammo costs.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Best prices I remember was shorts $.35/box, longs $.50/box, lr $.60/box.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I recall about $5 a brick of 500
It was the “go to gift” for birthdays and Christmas

Sure you were. Wildcats were the same price as Remington Mohawks when I was a kid, 59 cents a box. That was in the mid 70's. Mohawks later became Thunderbolts and the quality went to shyt. Wildcats were also pretty good in the '70's but are garbage now.

Ahhh...the New York schit hole....
Hahaha, when I was in Montana you couldn't even buy a decent pizza, speidies or good BBQ there. Hell have you heard of sub shops yet ? Talk about a bass ackwards, left behind shyt hole. Besides, the prices I gave were consistent with prices at chain stores across the Country at the time. Don't have to look any further than my collection of old Sears and Wards catalogs to see that.
Winchester Wildcats 50 cents a box a Paulsen's Hardware.

Sorry.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by Oldman3

What's crazy is the price of .22 Shorts now... (As in before the shortage)

They are far more expensive than .22lr.

I think I have some 100ct boxes of CCI 22 Shorts. I'll have to go check and see if they have a price. Bought about 10 years ago.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Rockinbbar: My father and my Uncles (his older brothers) often told how they kept themselves in 22 ammunition back in the 1930's as children (my father was born in 1922). There was a bounty on Ground Squirrels in the country around Baker City, Oregon. The bounty was one penny per tail and they had one old pump Winchester Rifle to Hunt them with.
They took turns shooting the Ground Squirrels and because their family was dirt poor they HAD to make every shot count. They tried for head shots and the two non-shooters would run forth and cut the tails off the Varmints that had successfully been bonked.
They relayed how ammunition was 21 to 25 cents a box of 50 back then.
I recall getting Remington 22 L.R. ammunition on sale at 49 cents a box circa 1959.
Times they are a changin.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Sorry.
So you started drinkin at an early age. Or the Paulsen's were habitual drunkards. Understandable due to the lack of good food.

Sorry.
So you started drinkin at an early age. Or the Paulsen's were habitual drunkards. Understandable due to the lack of good food.

So you can immediately reference your vast library of old schitty catalogs......but cant remember or didn't save your "prestigious award" you supposedly received?

Mmmhmmm.
Originally Posted by Oldman3

What's crazy is the price of .22 Shorts now... (As in before the shortage)

They are far more expensive than .22lr.

I think I have some 100ct boxes of CCI 22 Shorts. I'll have to go check and see if they have a price. Bought about 10 years ago.
I have some of those 100 ct. boxes of CCI shorts I bought about 3 years ago. Price is 9.99. Got some Mini Mag LR's at the same time from the same GS for 7.99.

Sorry.

So you can immediately reference your vast library of old schitty catalogs......but cant remember or didn't save your "prestigious award" you supposedly received?

Mmmhmmm.
What prestigious award was that ? l lost a lot of stuff in 2006 when my home was destroyed by flood but your stupid, drunken ass can't remember that. Same reason you can't accurately recall the price of .22's in the 90's. And old shytty catalogs ? The ones I have are in excellent collector condition. Have you checked the prices on those old catologs from the 60's and '70's ?
The fugg would I need to?

We bought locally....and at good prices.

I bought a 5000 round case of 22lr here a while ago for 3 cents a round.

Thats cheaper than when you bought them in the 70's.
The fugg would I need to?

We bought locally....and at good prices.

I bought a 5000 round case of 22lr here a while ago for 3 cents a round.

Thats cheaper than when you bought them in the 70's.
Your memory of prices differs from everyone else here. Take that into account and have another drink Einstein. Also take into account what I said about quality of .22 ammo then vs now. The bulk pack shyt of today is no bargain. Hell, even the supposedly "top of the line" stuff like Super -X ain't worth a shyt today.

Hahahaha!

Yeah....golden bullets aren't as good as Tenex......shocker.

Going by inflation....you were paying several times more in the 70's than a year ago.

For the plinking ammo.....

Oh....the good old days....

Back when gas was more expensive than today and you had to kit your carb every couple years.....
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I don’t recall us ever having enough money when I was a kid to keep 10K rounds of .22 ammo around

Perhaps just never felt the need to

I remember the riots in ‘68 & my dad saying “ let them try that chit here & I’ll break out my Sako .243”

I thought that was a helluva big gun back then, largest caliber we owned, he might have had two boxes of shells for it 🤦🏼‍♂️
Posted By: pete53 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
my uncle got us Federal seconds box of 500 L.R. for under $2.00 a box , L.R. ammo worked just fine,uncle got us 2 / 500 boxes every 2 weeks and we always ran out.
Hahahaha!

Yeah....golden bullets aren't as good as Tenex......shocker.

Going by inflation....you were paying several times more in the 70's than a year ago.

For the plinking ammo.....

Oh....the good old days....

Back when gas was more expensive than today and you had to kit your carb every couple years.....
Golden bullets of today aren't anywhere near as good as the old Mohawks. Neither are Winchester Super-X. You have to buy Mini Mags now to get that level of reliability and accuracy. Last Mini Mags I bought were 45.00 a brick. Nearly 8 times what the Mohawks cost in the 70's. Prices on nearly everything have come down since the '70's though. You'd know that if you had some of those old shytty catologs but hey that old toilet in your front yard is much better.
We had a lot of friends in the early 70s who worked for Winchester. Shot more than a little with free ammo.
I bought cases mini mags from PSA for 4.5 cents.

Idgaf about Mohawks.

You were still getting raped in the 60s and 70's.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I need to sample some awesome NY bbq next time I make trip up through. I had no idea.

Idgaf about Mohawks.

I wouldn't think a poor farmer who uses old toilets for lawn decorations could afford ammo by the case. You ain't gonna be buyin' any .22LR from PSA today but things are much better now than they were in the '70's.

LMAO
Originally Posted by slumlord
I need to sample some awesome NY bbq next time I make trip up through. I had no idea.
Stop at Brook's BBQ in Oneonta and try the chicken.

Idgaf about Mohawks.

I wouldn't think a poor farmer who uses old toilets for lawn decorations could afford ammo by the case. You ain't gonna be buyin' any .22LR from PSA today but things are much better now than they were in the '70's.

LMAO

And you dumb ass was still overpaying in the 90's.

Idgaf about Mohawks.

LMAO

The trouble with you mouthy young punks is you don't know WTF you're talking about most of the time. The rest of the time you're lying about something.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
And I remember when the hardware store clerks would break a box for us kids. Many a time I made 35 or 40 cent purchases so we could get out to plink wood chucks. One did not build up much of a bankroll when the weekly allowance for chores was a quarter.
Knew a security guard who worked at Remington in Bridgeport. He somehow had ammo. Lordship was a skeet and trap range owned by Remington in Stratford (before it closed due to lead in Long Island Sound). You could use a brand new 1100 or 870 skeet or trap guns for free just leave your drivers license. I shot the hell out of a 28 gauge 1100 and just payed a couple bucks for birds. It was different shooting over water, the gunshots sounded different with nothing to absorb the sound. Had a lot of fun there.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Super X and SuperSpeed brings back memories
Posted By: saddlering Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
And I lucked into 2 , 100 box's of large rifle. Primers for only $7.99 a box. I'm set for Lg. Rifle wish they were large pistol tho, still have a bunch. Oh the good old days!
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I was buying flats of 5000 rounds for about $135 bucks per flat 10 or so years ago...... I still have a couple of flats left. Not great ammo - Wildcats or CCI stuff, but it still shoots 1/4 in groups in my Volquartsen... not really picky about ammo.

Idgaf about Mohawks.

LMAO

The trouble with you mouthy young punks is you don't know WTF you're talking about most of the time. The rest of the time you're lying about something.

Hahaha!

Keep pining for the good ole days when everything was twice what it is now....
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I was a kid when Gibsons started going away.

I bought my first knife there. Back when Old timer had the big counter top displays.

Anything for fishing a kid would need.

Last one i remember was the one in Irving TX. Last time i was out there in was a Mex grocery.

When my grandmother passed, she lived in Irving , all the grandkids picked out what they wanted. I got my grandfathers tackle box. He passed in ‘90. Had a bunch of lures and packs of hooks with the Gibsons price stickers on them.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21

Idgaf about Mohawks.

LMAO

Hahaha!

Careful Jim,

He will whoop you! 😂🤪
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21

Idgaf about Mohawks.

LMAO

Whoa Whoa Whoa

Settle down there Hong Kong Phooey!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Idgaf about Mohawks.

LMAO

Hahaha!

Careful Jim,

He will whoop you! 😂🤪

Well...its no wonder they split bricks of 22 shells back in the day.

Fugging expensive!

75 cents in the 60s and 70s???

Fugg....thats Weatherby money today!
Maybe a well flung Judy Chop!

Idgaf about Mohawks.

LMAO
unny thing is I remember

Hahaha!

The funny thing is I clearly remember buying lots of bricks of PMC Zapper .22's for 10.95 a brick in the 90's at a LGS and Wildcats were the same price. Bought lots of 525 rd. cartons of Federal's bulk pack stuff for 8.97 at Wal-Mart in the 90's to shoot up with my boys on the weekends too. I'm sure your LGS was under selling Wal-Mart at the time with those 5.00 a brick Wildcats. Yeah right. Funny I don't recall the prices of ammo going down between the '70's and 90's and neither does anybody else. I sure do remember the quality of cheap .22 ammo going to shyt with plenty of squibs and FTF's included in every box in that time frame though. Goes back to what I said about you young punks not knowing WTF you're taking about most of the time and lying the rest.
Young punk?

You're a fugging tweener!

Too old to be young and too young to be old.

You probably wear your parachute pants to the SS office.

Fugging Walmart?

There was no Walmart. I dont care what Walmart was selling 22 Zingers for.

Rural New York........hahaha!

Penny Wildcats in the 90's. As sure as you are a "country boy"....

Ask the Mexican at the gas station for some Ethyl Supreme next time you are in town.....
Young punk?

You're a fugging tweener!

Too old to be young and too young to be old.

You probably wear your parachute pants to the SS office.

Fugging Walmart?

There was no Walmart. I dont care what Walmart was selling 22 Zingers for.

Rural New York........hahaha!

Penny Wildcats in the 90's. As sure as you are a "country boy"....

Ask the Mexican at the gas station for some Ethyl Supreme next time you are in town.....

No Wal-Mart's ? I told you Montana was a bass ackwards shyt hole. Still no indoor plumbing judging by the location of your commode either I see. Oh and BTW. I spent a month in Montana in 1993. Stopped at gun shops in Polson, Billings and Missoula and as I recall the prices on guns and ammo were pretty comparable to gun shops here. Go try to bullshyt somebody else boy.
Still cant find your prestigious award? Maybe its under your Polson gun shop memory chest.....

Penny Wildcats.....country boy......
Still cant find your prestigious award? Maybe its under your Polson gun shop memory chest.....

Penny Wildcats.....country boy......
Wildcats were never a penny in the 90's boy. I do have a box full of awards/medals/trophies in the closet. They have nothing to do with the price of ammuntion though so don't know why you're fixated. Montana is kinda nice in some ways and places. Other places suck. Too much flat land in the East and not enough forest. What forest you do have is bereft of hardwood species so your fall foliage situation is kinda drab too.
Sorry country boy.......penny a piece.

Glad you are so happy about getting raped all those years.
You just can't pull off the lies with somebody that was actually alive and buying ammo in the 90's boy. Particularly one that was actually in several Montana gun shops at the time. Perhaps you purchased some at a good sale for that price but doubt it.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I see Blackie took one of his Bitter pills this morning.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Ha ha ha, bbq in NY, is like finding clam chowder in New Mexico! If you find it, its alleged! The cheapest box of .22 lr in my stash is marked 1.09. Remington purchased at Payless drug store! I dont remember the year purchased! Payless was more expensive than the sporting stores. I'm guessing around 90 or 91, wife said Payless closed in 93. Oh ya the box is red and white with green Remington written across the center of the box!
Originally Posted by Heym06
Ha ha ha, bbq in NY, is like finding clam chowder in New Mexico! If you find it, its alleged! The cheapest box of .22 lr in my stash is marked 1.09. Remington purchased at Payless drug store! I dont remember the year purchased! Payless was more expensive than the sporting stores. I'm guessing around 90 or 91, wife said Payless closed in 93. Oh ya the box is red and white with green Remington written across the center of the box!
You obviously don't know your ass hole from your elbow when it comes to what's available for BBQ in NY.
I do know your full of [bleep] as a christmas goose. Your the one who thinks trespassing is ok , if it suits your agenda! That in itself proves you function with a lack of normal brain wave activity. Or L.O.N.B.W.A.! That should be your new handle! Maybe tattoo it on your forehead, so you dont have to open your mouth and prove it!
Originally Posted by NVhntr

He never bought a cube steak for less'n 3 dollars.

Thats means they didn't exist.....
I do know your full of [bleep] as a christmas goose. Your the one who thinks trespassing is ok , if it suits your agenda! That in itself proves you function with a lack of normal brain wave activity. Or L.O.N.B.W.A.! That should be your new handle! Maybe tattoo it on your forehead, so you dont have to open your mouth and prove it!
Do you take stupid pills every morning when you get up ? You don't know what you're talking about on anything so far. Your, You're. Fuuckin dummy.

LMAO
Originally Posted by NVhntr

He never bought a cube steak for less'n 3 dollars.

Thats means they didn't exist.....

Yeah and you bought a new car for 500 bucks in the 90's too. Businesses rarely sell anything for less than they can buy it for and there's no fuggin way your little gun shop in podunk shyt hole Montana could undersell Wal-Mart with it's buying power and make a profit. The fact that nobody else here remembers 50 cent .22's in the 90's speaks reams as to your dishonesty and their lack of character and backbone in calling it out your bullshyt.
No I don't want to be confused, with some alleged country boy from NY.
Posted By: mathman Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I remember when I was drinking good bourbon before it was trendy.
You realize your cheep Walmart goods are really expensive right?

Jeezus......get an education.

You realize things cost different amounts in different areas?

Fugging country boy....wearing your Wranglers to Walmart.....
Originally Posted by mathman

Being pretentious has always been trendy...... wink
Posted By: mathman Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by mathman

Being pretentious has always been trendy...... wink

Jealousy is a nasty thing Jim. wink

Funny the prices of guns and ammo were comparable to here when I was in Montana in 1993. Like I said, you'll have to bullshyt somebody else.
No I don't want to be confused, with some alleged country boy from NY.
You don't have much choice but to be confused about pretty much everything from what I see.
Now Walmart is the best place for ammo. Ha ha ha ha! No 7.62 x25, no 6.5 x 55, no 8 x 57. The great ammo store, ha ha ha!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Lol, 75cents, what'd ya do buy them in 1806?
Apparently he got fuucked by 25 cents a box in the 1990's.

LOL
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I remember .22LR for a penny apiece and wondered even then how they managed to make a round of ammo for less than a penny. Not long after that, primers were a dollar a hundred. If you scrounged wheelweights and cast your own bullets, you could reload centerfire rounds like .30-30 or .30-06 for about three cents. Your only costs were primer and powder and powder ran about two dollars a pound.

For perspective, however, wages then ran about a buck fifty an hour, so you had two hours of labor for that powder and primers. Not much different than just before this current abnormal price climb.
That must have been in the 1990's or you were just getting screwed..

Funny the prices of guns and ammo were comparable to here when I was in Montana in 1993. Like I said, you'll have to bullshyt somebody else.

In the most expensive places you could have checked.

Like rent in Billings has always been exactly the same as the rent in Saco.

A house is a house....right?

Maybe it wasn't until you were quite old before you could divide?
Now Walmart is the best place for ammo. Ha ha ha ha! No 7.62 x25, no 6.5 x 55, no 8 x 57. The great ammo store, ha ha ha!

Save money live better!

#countrystrong
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Those were probably priced when you could by a new car for $2500 and a living wage was maybe $7-8000/yr. Multiply all those numbers by 10 and see what the ammo costs.
That musta been in the 1990's. Either that or prices were just lower in Montana than Idaho or Texas or everywhere else for that matter.. Hell, I bet you could buy a brand new 10-22 for 49.00 in the 90's in Montana. Geeze, who knew ?
Hahaha! You sorry sunofabitch!

Sorry Blackie......you should see a rape counselor.

In the most expensive places you could have checked.

Like rent in Billings has always been exactly the same as the rent in Saco.

A house is a house....right?

Maybe it wasn't until you were quite old before you could divide?
Polson didn't seem too upscale to me.
Those Wildcats you bought had an inch of dust on every box since they'd been sitting on the shelf for 25 years.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I’ll inject a little brevity....

Those Wildcats you bought had an inch of dust on every box since they'd been sitting on the shelf for 25 years.

No. Old man Paulson sold a bunch of em.

He had a BRNO 22 on the shelf I always wanted.

You could get a square yellow box of 100 remington hollow points at the Coast to Coast for a buck and a half.
Why didn't you just buy that BRNO ? After all it was only 29 bucks. And Coast to Coast, WTF is that country boy ?

LMAO
No one knew what it was.

It wasn't a Winchester or a Marlin.
Why didn't you just buy that BRNO ? After all it was only 29 bucks. And Coast to Coast, WTF is that country boy?

LMAO

Never heard of a Coast to Coast?

I bet you think dollar General is a General Store.....
Nope,we got DG here. No Coast to Coast. Must be a big city Montana thing.
Bought a new Ruger 77 tang safety, at Coast to Coast in Pendleton, for $169.00. Guess what year!
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
In the late 70s I could buy the cheep federals for $7.49 a brick on sale at Jerods Outdoor n More. Albany Or. I’m not sure what the regular price was.
Originally Posted by Nestucca
In the late 70s I could buy the cheep federals for $7.49 a brick on sale at Jerods Outdoor n More. Albany Or. I’m not sure what the regular price was.
Boy were you gettin fugged. They was cheaper than that in Montana 25 years later.
Bought a new Ruger 77 tang safety, at Coast to Coast in Pendleton, for $169.00. Guess what year!

Blackie only ever been to Walmart.....he thinks Coast to Coast is 5th Avenue caliber....
That woulda been 1995 in Montana.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Coast to Coast, there's a blast from the past.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

You guys had those too?
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Anyone remember when they quit making these?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Blackie only ever been to Walmart.....he thinks Coast to Coast is 5th Avenue caliber....
Damn Jim, I just dug out a 1969 Montgomery Wards catalog and a 50 ct. box of Hawthorne .22's was 68 cents but you could buy a Browning auto 5 for 184 bucks or an Ithaca 37 for 109.00. You musta been able to pick up an auto 5 for about a buck fifty and an Ithaca 37 for less than a C note at Paulson's in the 90's. If only we'd have known. Paulson's woulda been the biggest, most popular sporting goods outlet in the whole Country.

LOL.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Originally Posted by FatCity67

You guys had those too?

Yup. Closed stores here in Kommiefornia couple decades back think some got turned into TrueValues.

Many MidWest companies made it to Ca. before most got bought out or folded when the BigBox concept took hold.

Posted By: Texczech Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21

I remember buying 22lr for 50 cents a box or $4.50 a brick at Western Auto in the late 70's. I can't remember the brand, but the bullet was a lead semi wad cutter.
In 78 or 79 I bought my first shotgun at the same store.
It was a Revelation 20ga single shot short barrel for $59.

1977 or 78
And 100 pack of golden bullets in the square plastic slide top for a $1.89 at coast to coast until at least 1980. I remember getting pissed when they went to $2.29
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
Around 2001 we didn’t sell bricks of .22lr unless we could price it under $10 (40% markup on ammo) or .45 <$10 for 50. That was for typical range stuff and mini-mags were 7.95/100. We were selling 8# jugs of pistol powder on consignment for $35. I passed up so many great deals back then. I set a 788 in 22-250 down to use the restroom and came out to see another guy buying it....$150 OTD was a killer deal for even then but I snoozed.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
I remember when you could buy a Marlin Glenfield 22 rifle for $39.99 with scope and a brick of 22lr for $3.99 at Kmart, I still have the gun. I also remember when you could buy Armscor 22lr ammo from Target Sports for $0.01.8 a round and get free shipping last January 9th.

1977 or 78
And 100 pack of golden bullets in the square plastic slide top for a $1.89 at coast to coast until at least 1980. I remember getting pissed when they went to $2.29

Sept. Of 1977. First Ruger I purchased.

I'm betting you don't know if your punched or bored!

That would be "you're" again dummy. Always funny as hell when a retard tries to call somebody else stupid.

LMAO
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Remember When? - 01/05/21
No box pictures, but my remember when is different.
Early 80's, 13 and no way to earn money except skipping lunch and a
$5 mowing gig, my "rich"uncle.

I cleaned the hog pen of about a foot of crap, for a
box of 20 gauge high brass.

At my wage today that's about $150.
And a dam sight harder.

That would be "you're" again dummy. Always funny as hell when a retard tries to call somebody else stupid.

LMAO

Now you are trying to be the spelling nazi. That would be punched for you! Rough around the edges. Bored smooth and accurate. Can you bend over and spell run?

LMAO

Now you are trying to be the spelling nazi. That would be punched for you! Rough around the edges. Bored smooth and accurate. Can you bend over and spell run?
No but I can spell "you're a dick'".

LOL
Why didn't you just buy that BRNO ? After all it was only 29 bucks. And Coast to Coast, WTF is that country boy?

LMAO

I bet the dumb Fluck has never heard of a Western Auto either. But he’s so worldly that he knows what everyone paid for .22 shells 40 years ago.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Remember When? - 01/06/21

LMAO

I bet the dumb Fluck has never heard of a Western Auto either. But he’s so worldly that he knows what everyone paid for .22 shells 40 years ago.
Well what do you know, another dummy loses another bet. Western Auto was the first store I ever handled a real gun in. Back in the mid 60's when I was about 5 with my grandfather. Even remember the guns. An Ithaca 66 supersingle and an Ithaca 49 .22. Dumb fuuck.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Remember When? - 01/06/21
I'm over here just glad this thread took a big Chitt so no one saw my ridiculous typo before I could fix it,...and that I scored a deal on 22s 20+ years ago that would make someone here call me a liar.😉
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Remember When? - 01/06/21
Hey Blackfart it has been fun dueling, the parts are made and I need to assemble this cylinder! Carry on with your ego push, youngster, maybe you will grow into that ego, someday!
Hey Blackfart it has been fun dueling, the parts are made and I need to assemble this cylinder! Carry on with your ego push, youngster, maybe you will grow into that ego, someday!
Maybe you'll grow into being able to spell someday but I doubt it.

LOL
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Remember When? - 01/06/21

LMAO

Well what do you know, another dummy loses another bet. Western Auto was the first store I ever handled a real gun in. Back in the mid 60's when I was about 5 with my grandfather. Even remember the guns. An Ithaca 66 supersingle and an Ithaca 49 .22. Dumb fuuck.

I’m sure that first gun at WA was probably a Crome cap gun with fake pearl grips so you could look like Roy Rodgers. GFY you drug me into this pissing match.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm over here just glad this thread took a big Chitt so no one saw my ridiculous typo before I could fix it,...and that I scored a deal on 22s 20+ years ago that would make someone here call me a liar.😉
Scoring a deal and being able to consistently buy something at a price that allows for no profit are two different things. I worked in a gun shop in the 90's and there's no way we could have sold ammo that cheap on a consistent basis and remain in business.

LMAO

I’m sure that first gun at WA was probably a Crome cap gun with fake pearl grips so you could look like Roy Rodgers. GFY you drug me into this pissing match.
Nobody dragged you anywhere you dumb shyt. You chose to stick your big nose in. And I see you have a reading comprehension disability to go along with your retarded dumbphuckery. Congratulations ?
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Remember When? - 01/06/21
Boy were you gettin fugged. They was cheaper than that in Montana 25 years later.

Here you go arsehole. It was Jim and you going at it and all I did was make a post. You quoted me and told me I was getting [bleep] dumb ass. Jim had it wrong with the cube steak it’s a tube steak now go suck on it and do the rest of us a favor and choke on it

Here you go arsehole. It was Jim and you going at it and all I did was make a post. You quoted me and told me I was getting [bleep] dumb ass. Jim had it wrong with the cube steak it’s a tube steak now go suck on it and do the rest of us a favor and choke on it
Unable to recognize sarcasm directed at Jim. Yep, you're a retard alright. Here's your sign !

LMAO
Posted By: deflave Re: Remember When? - 01/06/21
Blackbart,

Is something wrong?
Originally Posted by deflave
Blackbart,

Is something wrong?
Not at all but thanks for your concern. No, I still won't take you hunting.
Blackbart,

Is something wrong?

That’s alright.

You just seem dumber than normal and I’m a little worried.
Blackbart,

Is something wrong?

That’s alright.

You just seem dumber than normal and I’m a little worried.
That's funny, I was thinkin' the same about you. But then I thought, nah, that just ain't possible, he's obviously still breathing.
Did you get your $600?
Posted By: krp Re: Remember When? - 01/06/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm pretty sure these are from the mid 70s, don't know what I paid. We would rabbit hunt at night on a property that had half a section of watermelons, a date orchard and citrus orchard, plus old lumber and farm trash, an irrigation tailing pond with bullfrogs we'd gig...

we once found someone's stash of girly magazines in the citrus grove...

Anyway, I had an old savage single shot I was deadly with, a twenty rabbit night was fun until you got home and had to skin them all.

If not in town we could buy basic 22 or shotgun ammo at the small country store. Probably bought these at Smitty's bigtown, bought my first new gun there, an 870 wingmaster for 169.00, '75.

PS, there's 39 left in that box...

Kent
Posted By: shootAI Re: Remember When? - 01/06/21
We bought thunderbolts for $8 a brick in early 2020. $5 bricks in the 90’s doesn’t seem impossible. In the 90’s in CA grandpa bought federal bulk 525 or 550’s. Can’t remember which for $6 a pop. Gave them away to anyone who would come shoot ground squirrels.
© 24hourcampfire