Home

jeez

we ain't got any snow yet...........

condolences to the family

https://www.ksl.com/article/50084231/clinton-man-killed-in-park-city-backcountry-avalanche
4 in Colorado so far.
If we had much snow it could be a bad year hear what with the freezing and thawing going on. New snow on a slick hardened surface can be a bitch.
Killed in avalanche? With what? Is there any snow?
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Killed in avalanche? With what? Is there any snow?

not much

yet........
There is not much at all. They are making it as fast as they can. A little sir since we haven’t had avalanche conditions.
Shallow early season snowpacks often produce the worst conditions. Wind transported snow gets deposited in starting zones, shallow snowpack with cold temperatures cause temperature gradient metamorphosis which makes for a nasty weak layer sometimes called sugar snow.
TV showed a large OUT OF BOUNDS sign with the warning "If you go past this boundary YOU MAY DIE"

He did and he did.
Utah Avalanche Center reports 8 avalanches reported on 1/8 by skiers and snowmobilers.

mike r
Hard to know the answer as all the avalanche experts are dead!
No snow here either yet, and people get impatient looking for powder.
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Yup, my Father died this summer. Miss him.
Sorry to hear that....(about your dad)

I did hear 3 skiers died before Christmas, a couple of them from Durango.
My Father started as a Snow Ranger and finished as a snow and avalanche researcher. He started the first region wide avalanche forecasting program in North America which later became CAIC, Colorado Avalanche Information Center.
All I know about avalanches is sometime in my past I heard in the distance somebody firing of a piece of artillery called a recoiless rifle to break up heavy snowbanks. Hearing that round slice through that thin air was cool. Echoes and all.
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Yup, my Father died this summer. Miss him.

So sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family.
The prototype of the avalauncher was tested in our pasture, since there was no ammo for it alpo dog food cans with friction tape were fired out of it. They aimed at a cottonwood stump at the end of the field. I was just old enough to remember it. The avalauncher was a CO2 powered launcher.
Low snowpack is probably the most dangerous.
Hopefully his family can find peace, some of my friends have had a hard time doing so.
© 24hourcampfire