Home
Posted By: MJones New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
I've been thinking about buying one of the new ones made in Ohio to go along with my older ones . Have any of you guys shot the new ones or own one . A wee tad pricey they are but if they're well made who cares . Thank you .
Posted By: Aviator Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
They look nice
Posted By: Higginez Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
The 28 gauge would be the only appealing one.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
Browning BPS is an alternative, and cheaper too.
Posted By: GeoW Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
Haven't been able to wear out my old ones.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by Higginez
The 28 gauge would be the only appealing one.

^^^This^^^

Otherwise, I’ll stick with my old original Models.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
I was unaware of these new 37s. It's certainly nice to see an alternative to the ubiquitous 870. I'd definitely be interested and I'd also like to see additional models come available, i.e. a defensive model.
Posted By: las Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
$1200 and up? Wow. I love the 37, but....

Pass.

I have four 12's and a 20 that I don't use much. Mostly the 20 for grouse.

What I "need" is an inexpensive, used single shot .410 for all those hundreds of rounds of #7 1/2 I have..... smile
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I was unaware of these new 37s. It's certainly nice to see an alternative to the ubiquitous 870. I'd definitely be interested and I'd also like to see additional models come available, i.e. a defensive model.

I've got this one, but I bought it in the early 1980s. It's made by the original Ithaca Gun Company in New York. Shoots great.

I used to have a 20 gauge sport model, too, with a long, Modified choke, barrel. Sadly, I sold it many years ago. Still have this LAPD model, though.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cheesy Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
My early 50s 20 and 16 weigh 6# 1 and 2 ounces. I’ve read the new ones are better than 7#, or at least close to 7.
Posted By: rem141r Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
i like their ultra featherweight with the english stock. never shot one but i held one and it was slick. a 37 is missing in my collection. need to remedy that someday.
Posted By: Slavek Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by las
$1200 and up? Wow. I love the 37, but....

Pass.

I have four 12's and a 20 that I don't use much. Mostly the 20 for grouse.

What I "need" is an inexpensive, used single shot .410 for all those hundreds of rounds of #7 1/2 I have..... smile

I found everything about 20ga great except 7lb plus few ounce weight. Not a bad thing if one contemplates shooting 3" shells. Far better quality gun than Remington 870. Strengths: good quality dense walnut (does not crack at back of receiver/trigger guard), quality Pachmayr recoil pad, excellent barrel finish with proprietary vent rib construction, Briley choke system (can use Browning Invector Plus chokes). Second hand guns in excellent condition 12ga or 20ga can be had for around $600. These will be little harder to find than old guns from Ithaca or King Ferry NY because due to initial cost not as many have been sold. Think of it as Remington Model 17 on steroids. One 20ga sold quickly this week for $600 at Gunsinternational. You snooze, you loose.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
TRH: That LAPD model is just what I'm looking for. I will attempt to find one. Thanks!
Posted By: Whitebird Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
I enjoy the older ones...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Posted By: poboy Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
Posted By: local_dirt Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/10/21
"LIKE" button.

Beautiful gun, Whitebird.
Originally Posted by Whitebird

I'm loving that one.
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
A local gun store had 1 in stock last time I was in. Give them a call & ask for Brian.
https://franklingunshopinc.com/
Posted By: High_Noon Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Whitebird: Very nice.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I'm loving that one.
Very nice.
Posted By: dale06 Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
I had one of the new 37s, in 16 ga. It was well made, reliable, but too heavy. I sold it.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
37s and A5 Brownings point better for me than any other repeaters. Have a first-year 20ga Deerslayer that cost me all of $375 a couple years ago. Might have Briley tubes installed for birds, which is cheaper than the conversion the new outfit does. Still, they appear to make fine versions after a few bobbles early on. Not likely to find one in stores, even in normal times. An old guy I bought a 12 from had them build a very fancy 28ga for quail. Had some issues with feeding IIRC, but they finally got it right and he loved it dearly after that. That was about ten years ago.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by MJones
I've been thinking about buying one of the new ones made in Ohio to go along with my older ones . Have any of you guys shot the new ones or own one . A wee tad pricey they are but if they're well made who cares . Thank you .

I had a Deerslayer III and it was beautifully built. One of the nicest pump shotguns I have ever owned.
Posted By: TheSOB Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Bought one 48 years ago and shot thousands of rounds through it. Only problem I had was the vent rib is loose and needs rewelded. Excellent gun.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21

I have a 90s era12 ga. Police version...superb with slugs, 00 & 000 buckshot, #1 buckshot and non-lethal (if you feel like bouncing your shot from the pavement).
Posted By: TheKid Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21

This thing is sweet. I wonder why it doesn’t have the forend support ring on the back of the corncob. I’m pretty sure those were soldered onto the action arm, wonder if it was a cost cutting thing in the 70’s or something. Or maybe that action arm and tube is a replacement from one of the beaver tail forend guns.

I love 37s, have two prewar 16s and a 70’s production 20. My family on dad’s side have been shooting bottom eject pump guns since great grandad bought a new Remington M10 in 1929. The progression has included 37s as well as BPSs.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Whitebird, thats a beauty !

My contribution : [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
I've got one of the new defender model loaded by my bed. I don't recall how much I paid for it. It does not slam fire iirc. I'll shoot it some this weekend and get the dust off of it. I have bps's too, they seem lighter. Both seem like good quality.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
i bought a used older 37 a number of years ago, partially because i am left handed and they just work well for me.
i have gone 15 for 15 on dove with mine, more than once.
friend of mine on trying mine bought one of the new ones.
it is a nice gun.
they point easy, light, and fast on target.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21

They take up very little room on top of a chest of drawers.
Can the new Defender be had with walnut furniture?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by dale06
I had one of the new 37s, in 16 ga. It was well made, reliable, but too heavy. I sold it.

The new ones seem much heavier that the original Models.
Posted By: Slavek Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by dale06

The new ones seem much heavier that the original Models.

Si, magnum receiver (3" introduced as MAG in late 1970s), heaver barrel with choke tubes and denser better quality wood account for extra weight. The weight is about right in 12ga 3" gun but heavy for 20ga. Interesting valiant of full length mag tube are Hogslayers with fully rifled barrels designed to shoot sabot slugs. These would make wonderful HD guns with reduced velocity Truball slugs. During King Ferry days they made model especially to shoot 16ga Lightfield sabot slugs. These 16ga Deerslayers with fully rifled barrels were made in limited numbers, therefore, are uncommon on second-hand market.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Can the new Defender be had with walnut furniture?

Mine has walnut furniture.
Thanks.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
When it comes to build quality the new Ithaca 37's are much much tighter then the old Ithacas.
Posted By: blairvt Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i bought a used older 37 a number of years ago, partially because i am left handed and they just work well for me.
it is a nice gun.

I have NEVER gone 15 for 15 for doves.
Posted By: DMc Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
it is a nice gun.

I have NEVER gone 15 for 15 for doves.

Wait on the slow fliers. LOL
Any of you find the bottom loading gate to be a PITA with the 37?
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/11/21
Lots of people prefer it.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Why?
Posted By: cra1948 Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Why?

Other than the Browning Double Automatic, all the pump/auto shotguns in my experience load through the bottom. I've always found the 37's bottom load/bottom eject system to be simple, elegant and reliable. Also much easier to keep track of your fired hulls in the clay target sports.

The Ithaca Model 37 is, hands down, my favorite repeater. I have always felt that the 37, in 16 gauge, is the most perfectly proportioned gun for a normal-sized adult male. It's a quick, nimble shotgun and, again, just my opinion, the only repeater I consider a decent upland gun. The original 20 gauge guns were almost magical in their handling characteristics. I find the Ohio guns problematic. For years, the 37's claim to fame was that it was an all-steel gun that was a "Featherlite." When the Ohio people took it over, they seemed to be making a premium design, but aimed it at the Walmart crowd. The original 37's were all 2 3/4" guns. (Maybe later, in their death throes, the original company tried to save things with a 3" 12, I'm not sure.) Anyway, the Ohio guns now all have 3" receivers and, to add insult to injury, they figured they'd make a 16 gauge gun by simply screwing a 16 gauge barrel in to a 3" 12 gauge receiver. They fuqued up all the wonderful handling dynamics of the original guns. Wherever I go, I check out the used shotgun racks for 16 and 20 gauge "original" 37's. Unfortunately, like the Belgian Browning A-5's, the ones in the nicest shape, that I come across, seem to always have a damn Polychoke on the end of the barrel.
"
Posted By: Cheesy Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21
10 years ago local shop had a pristine 16 from early 50s, modified choke, $300. Thought I didn’t need it, so left it. Next day went back to get it. Gone. Still kicking myself.
Posted By: TheKid Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21
Prewar 16s are definitely the sweet spot for me. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: cra1948 Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by TheKid
Prewar 16s are definitely the sweet spot for me. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Replace those pigeons with grouse (we always called them partridge) and that is a scene right out of my teenage years (although my 37 had a lot less finish on it than that one.)
Posted By: gregintenn Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21

Not at all.

I'm more of a double and over/under guy, but don't most pumps and semi autos load from the bottom?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21
Yes, with side eject, but a single shotshell can be loaded in the side ejection port as well, which I often do.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21
Being left handed, I can load a 37 from the bottom easier than I can load an 870 through the loading port.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/12/21

It can be a bit slower shooting trap as you need to put a round in the magazine and pump the action each time.

It is such a superor system for woods hunting or foul weather hunting that I just do what is necessary to shoot a few rounds of trap.

I have never had an Ithaca freeze up in an ice storm and I have seen 870's, 500's and Browning squarebacks do so. They stay much cleaner too.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Being left handed, I can load a 37 from the bottom easier than I can load an 870 through the loading port.

Reverse the safety and you have a true, left hand gun.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Reverse the safety and you have a true, left hand gun.

I had the dsafety reversed on my 20 gauge 37 before I even shot it. My 16 gauge 37 had a left hand safety on it when I bought it from a pawn shop. I actually got a discount because it was "wrong handed".
Posted By: TheKid Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/16/21
A 37 can also be loaded singly from the bottom without putting a shell in the magazine and pumping the action. You just have to move the bolt forward far enough that the carrier it lying down in the top of the receiver, gun does have to be upside down of course.
Posted By: byron Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by Cheesy
10 years ago local shop had a pristine 16 from early 50s, modified choke, $300. Thought I didn’t need it, so left it. Next day went back to get it. Gone. Still kicking myself.

Bought a near pristine solid rib 12 gauge full choke a year or two ago at the lgs to go with the bi-centennial 12 modified I have. It was made in 1957. Gave $250 for it.

I have hunted 870's, 1100's, and a few others, but the 37's have my heart now.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/16/21

Several disassembly/re-assembly videos of ITHACA 37:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8qJQDoqqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63R-lGEegg
Posted By: Backroads Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/16/21
That they make a 28ga is reason enough to buy one.
The older ones are lighter, the 70’s-80’s are plentiful and cheap.
None of them came in a properly sized receiver for 28 ga.
That said, if not buying the 28, I see no reason to buy a new one.
Plenty of old hand fitted models cheap out there.

This all from an upland hunter that collects 37’s.

YMMV..
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/16/21
The new Ithaca 28 gauge is an absolute baby doll!
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/16/21
I have an original 20 and 12. Great guns and and I'll never get rid of them, but to this day if I need a shotgun in the field I go to it's my remington 11-48 12 gauge. My first shotgun given to me at 10 and I have more rounds through it than I can remember.
Posted By: add Re: New Ithaca Model 37 - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The new Ithaca 28 gauge is an absolute baby doll!

No doubt.

Have you seen prices on 28ga shells of late?

If I had a stash, I'd be on that gun.
© 24hourcampfire