Home
Care to share?

Metal square one with a cartoon theme? Or one like your dad carried to the asbestos factory ?
Paper bag
Hong Kong Phooey. Last time I checked they were going for $350 on Ebay.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Care to share?

Metal square one with a cartoon theme? Or one like your dad carried to the asbestos factory ?

LOL
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Hong Kong Phooey. Last time I checked they were going for $350 on Ebay.

😃
Square metal Johnny Quest.
.45 cent hot lunch.

Back in the days of real hamburger gravy over mashed tatos and full sized chicken pieces.

🦫
Square metal. Wonderful world of metric. I'm sure it was on sale.
[Linked Image from greatestcollectibles.com]
Barbie, she was HOT! Been a big titty man ever since.

Paper bag! memtb
Then I moved on:

brown bag with apple butter sammiches every day for all 12 years of elementary skool. still hate apple butter
Scrotum from a mature buffalo bull.

Had a rawhide strip woven through the top to keep it closed up.
A big Thermos of black coffee and a can of Copenhagen. The original “intermittent fasting”.
Remember had this one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Haha, just kidding. Yellow, plastic, Ninja Turtles until
3rd grade. Then it was school lunch.
I just ate the chit they served in the cafeteria. Never packed a lunch in 12 years.
If mom packed the Swanson's TV dinner (Salisbury steak), this was my go to.

[Linked Image from lulu-berlu.com]
Originally Posted by add

Sunovabitch
metal square one, don't even remember what they had on them.
Square metal Kung Fu elementary school, paper bag thereafter.
Square metal Bonanza lunch box.
starting 8th grade would just walk off campus and buy something. highschool go get a six pack and hang out with friends.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
.45 cent hot lunch.

Back in the days of real hamburger gravy over mashed tatos and full sized chicken pieces.

🦫

Same here bro

.40 cents

Best meal lil slumboy would get in the trailer park

School lunch favs

Big ice cream scoopie wad of spaghetti, hot giant fresh rolls, and orange with 35 seeds, chocolate mrlk.

Ice cream cup was extra, .15 cents

👍
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Paper bag

Yeah pretty much.
Originally Posted by bkraft

Yes! remember I had that one as well. Also had Oakland Raiders lunch box.
Actually, in high school I would take my lunch money and instead of spending it on lunch I would keep it and use it to pay for skeet shooting with my Uncle on Saturdays. My mother wondered why she couldn't put any weight on me.

I chit you not.

Tupperware was big in the 80’s.
So equally as important, what was your favorite sammich? I went in phases. Sometimes it was bologna other times it was peanut butter and jelly, and then there was my peanut butter and fluffernutter phase LOL.
Square metal Dukes a’ Hazzard.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Square metal Dukes a’ Hazzard.

This is getting good 😃
Care to share?

Mixed. Never had one of the square ones. Mine was shaped like Dad's...the barn shape, but did have a cartoon on it. Mickey Mouse, IIRC. That or I just carried Dad's, which was natural silver metallic. Dad worked around a lot of asbestos but didn't retire from John's-Manville like you did. He worked for Sinclair Pipeline.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I chit you not.

Go

Go stand in the corner

Till I tell you otherwise
If, we had lunch to take it was in brown paper bag or cellophane bread bag.

And we walked ten miles to school uphill both ways.

Them were the days.
First eight grades was a one room country school. Lunch pail was a black metal, old conventional style. High school, 35 cents off a punch card for a hot meal.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

lmao!
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
So equally as important, what was your favorite sammich? I went in phases. Sometimes it was bologna other times it was peanut butter and jelly, and then there was my peanut butter and fluffernutter phase LOL.

Whoa whoa cowboy

Hang on there....
Metal square one. I had a Dukes of Hazard one and then The A-Team
Originally Posted by stxhunter
metal square one, don't even remember what they had on them.
Prolly Charlie's Angels. lol
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Whoa whoa cowboy

Hang on there....

Thread potential....

Hurry up before wabigoon mooches that idea
Originally Posted by arky65
If, we had lunch to take it was in brown paper bag or cellophane bread bag.

And we walked ten miles to school uphill both ways.

Them were the days.

bread sack LOL
I had one with the NFL teams back in the day. National league on one side and American League on the other. It’s probably in my mom’s basement somewhere.

My oldest had a Barney lunchbox - for exactly one day. The kid loved barney growing up so he and mom brought that purple nightmare home. I asked my son how his first day of school was and he looked me right in the eye and said, “Dad, Barney SUCKS!” We never saw that lunchbox ever again.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Metal square one. I had a Dukes of Hazard one and then The A-Team

I hate you
well ill be damned i had a hong kong phooey also

i just recently got my grandfathers just a round metal pale with a lid
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

lmao!

Should clarify, it was a fresh scrotum everyday.

Ate a bunch of bison testicles at lunch.

Throw 'em on the exhaust manifold during the drive to school. Allow to rest under hood 'til lunch.

Of course sometimes us kids traded lunch items.

My nickname in the cafeteria was Bull Nuts.
[Linked Image from vintagefindz.com]
The Rifleman was my lunch box till I started eating hot lunches at school in about the 4th grade
I had a metal square King Kong lunch box. No idea what happened to it. When I was in 7th grade I personally witnessed how good of a weapon a metal lunch box can be in a fight on the back of a school bus
I had a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea lunchbox when I started first grade in 1966.
I always ate the hot lunch.
Roy Rogers

lmao!

I'm sensing overcompensation …

Various metal lunchboxes through the years. Happy Days, Scooby Doo and Wizard of Oz are ones I remember.

I also remember that I was playing the part of a soldier for the Nutcracker Christmas play we were putting on in elementary school. My teacher asked if the soldiers could bring a rifle to school for the play. I told her that I could bring my .22 rifle and I’d leave the mag at home. I hopped on the bus carrying my lunchbox and my rifle. The bus driver didn’t say anything about it and once at school nobody gave me a second glance. I put it in my coat cubby and left it there until the play. It never once crossed my mind to use it for anything except that which my teacher allowed. We would stash our BB guns in the woods on the other side of the fence from the playground and shoot starlings and English sparrows at recess. 😂.....great memories growing up.

I don’t think that would fly today.

lmao!

Throw 'em on the exhaust manifold during the drive to school. Allow to rest under hood 'til lunch.

lol
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
I had one with the NFL teams back in the day. National league on one side and American League on the other. It’s probably in my mom’s basement somewhere.

Now that you mention it, had that one too.
Didn't have a lunch box. Me and a few other kids would just go out and eat a road kill off highway 97.
Hot lunch was a quarter. Was hard to make anything other than a dog turd between two slices of bread for that. Food was good.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

lmao!

I'm sensing overcompensation …

Any of you brown baggers stash those in your trombone case?

😂😂
I don't remember but I know I had one. Maybe Jonny Quest? The earlier post kind of rings a bell. I do remember being in a hurry to get to the playground and sliding in down the hall into a steel column. When I heard that crunch, I knew I was in trouble. After that it was paper bags. PBJ, Laura Scudder chips and a twinkie or ding dong. Hot lunch was a quarter. I only did that when they served turkey and gravy over mashed potatoes. Sometimes we got seconds.
I do have an autographed Bob Hannah lunch box on a shelf somewhere in the garage.
A plain domed black sheet metal, with two metal hasps, I think it was an Aladdin or maybe that was just the little metal/glass Thermos. I wanted to be just like Dad, so I had to have the big 'safety pin' made of gas welding rod through the latches. I used it up until Jr High when it became very uncool to bring your own lunch. Stored it away and damned if my son didn't find it and used it to haul Matchbox toys, then used it for school until about the 5th grade, when it became uncool to bring your own lunch. I saw it in my son's shop the other day, it is full of pop rivets. Hillbillys are the original recyclers.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I did only when they had the stuff I liked. I think lunch was .75c and a “super” (extra entree) was a $1.25. I would give the student collecting the money a dollar and they’d give me a quarter back in change, which I’d give back to them and tell them I wanted a “super” lunch. I saved .25c with my elementary school scam. 😂
Paper bag

Same here. We were too poor for anything fancy.

Jim
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Hot lunch was a quarter. Was hard to make anything other than a dog turd between two slices of bread for that. Food was good.

Yep. Very good.
Roy Rogers, also had a G.I. Joe. This was in the 1960's.
We weren’t allowed extra until high school.

Then it was on.

Double fries, and two slice pizza 👍👍
I had the square metal Star Wars with a Thermos to match.

My twin brother had a Marvel one with the Fantastic Four, Thor etc.

I bought him a replacement a few years ago on Ebay for $75 or so. Brought back a bunch of memories.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-VINTAGE-Metal-Lunch-Box-STAR-WARS-LUNCHBOX-Character-Band-SEE-PICS/143826942657?hash=item217cc0fac1:g:lEQAAOSwMbZfpYEP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Aladdin-Marvel-Comics-Super-Heroes-Metal-Lunch-Box-With-Thermos-W-No-Cap/393086607856?hash=item5b85c9a1f0:g:oPwAAOSwSaJf9x-L

To add to my previous “paper bag” response.....the sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper! memtb
When I took lunch, a brown bag. More the school hot lunch.
Just a brown bag
Can't tell you how many thermoses I broke..... and got in trouble for... good riddance
Originally Posted by texasbatman
Paper bag

Same here. We were too poor for anything fancy.

Jim

Yup, and had to reuse the paper bag until it was worn out.

Velveeta cheese and spam, with celery sticks. Frikking' yum.

Try trading either of those for a Twinkie. Wasn't happening.
I would killed for that Munsters box. My friend had a pretty cool KISS box. (the band)
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I did only when they had the stuff I liked. I think lunch was .75c and a “super” (extra entree) was a $1.25. I would give the student collecting the money a dollar and they’d give me a quarter back in change, which I’d give back to them and tell them I wanted a “super” lunch. I saved .25c with my elementary school scam. 😂

As I recall, it was just a quarter for the hot lunch in the 1960s.
Brown paper bag - favorite sandwiches; Sept till Dec tuna fish, then rabbit or venison
made same as tuna with mayo celery onion always on home made bread.

A hot lunch was a quarter when I was in elementary school in the 60’s. That was before public schools became an industry, designed to extort as much money as possible from the citizenry, under the guise of educating students.
The High Chaparral lunchbox was a thing. Liked to have had a Lancer one too.

I chit you not.

Go

Go stand in the corner

Till I tell you otherwise

Haha.

Pics or it didn’t happen chit.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Can't tell you how many thermoses I broke..... and got in trouble for... good riddance

Those glass lined ones?

Heck yeah. Busted a good transformers one once.
Originally Posted by antlers

A hot lunch was a quarter when I was in elementary school in the 60’s. That was before public schools became an industry, designed to extort as much money as possible from the citizenry, under the guise of educating students.

A quarter was just shy of a quarter oz of silver till 1965, so it sort of makes sense that it could buy a nice hot lunch. That much silver today is worth about $4.60.

I remember a couple, one red ,white and blue shaped like mail box. The other one was some Charlie Brown theme.
My dad got a Dale Earnhardt thermos as a promo for selling Winston cigarettes or something when I was in grade school. He let me take it to school for lunch and I made a bowl of Ramen noodles and dumped them in before I headed to school. Apparently Ramen steeping in a thermos all day completely dissolves by noon and you get a bowl of some kind of chicken dust flavored gravy gruel. It was gross and the one time I tried that maneuver, back to school lunches for me.

I did probably look pretty cool with my Winston thermos and my neon yellow Joe Camel windbreaker going to the 5th grade. 1990’s gas station promo gear was the schiet.

This would’ve been the late ‘70’s or very early 80’s. I turned 50 a week ago so youse guys are much older than I. 😁.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by bkraft

Yes! remember I had that one as well.

Me too, until I lost it somewhere. Like, in a day, or so.
A used brown paper sack is all we could afford. Had to return it to mom so she could pack the next day’s lunch in it.
I remember an Evel Knievel one with the skycycle pretty well. I also vaguely remember one of a roller coaster and Woody Woodpecker pulling the pin to the cars behind at the top of the first big hill. Never cared for Woody Woodpecker. No idea how I got it.

I pretty much had either peanut butter & jelly or Lebanon Bologna sandwiches. Every. Single. Day. We were too poor to buy school lunches and too rich to get free ones. My mom LOVES sandwiches, so we got them at home on weekends and summers too. I pretty much hate sandwiches to this day, over 35 years later.

Sloppy Joes?

Had a hand me down Scooby Doo for a few years in grade school. Then a Star Wars one and a few various other of the metal ones. I think my favorite was The Fall Guy. Still got them all on a shelf in my loading room. Might get one down and take lunch to work one day!
Originally Posted by irfubar

Those glass lined ones?

Heck yeah. Busted a good transformers one once.

Yep.... damn things, you would pour your milk out full of glass shards...... how did we survive that schit? and to top it off mom would chew your ass for breaking another thermos
I got free lunch because I was poor.
Ate hot lunch or a bag of chips.
Then beat feet down to the smoking area with my dugout and pinch hitter on the sly.

The late 70,s and early 80,s were fugging great in high school!!!!!
Just went thru this thread .

LMFAO at some of the post!!!

Some of ya had a rough time growing up .

Waldo in the back of the bus van halen video type of stuff I am imagining....

LOL!!!!

Brown paper bag my friend the only way to lunch.
I don't ever remember having a lunch box so I called Mom. She said I never had one. I took a brown bag lunch to H.S., but now I feel left out. I feel I missed an essential part of my youth.

I probably would have liked a Yosemite Sam lunch box... or the mudflap girl. A Stihl chainsaw lunch box would have been cool as well.

Had this one from K-8. Put an older kid’s teeth through his top lip with it after school one day. He deserved it but i still caught hang for it from parents and the school.
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind

Had this one from K-8. Put an older kid’s teeth through his top lip with it after school one day. He deserved it but i still caught hang for it from parents and the school.

I can see the teeth marks.
We ate school lunch, never had a boomer box.
First 5 years I walked home for lunch. Lived 3 houses away. When my mother wasn’t home we ate at my buddies house across the street. His mom made fried bologna sandwiches for us. Middle school we had bags, I never saw a lunchbox. They had a rule you had to leave your lunch in your locker until lunch. Metal shop was next to the cafeteria and you always wanted to be first in line. I had a notebook with a zipper so I stuck my lunch inside it. Always first in line. A quarter bought chocolate milk and ice cream. Always bought my own lunch in high school.
I got three dimes per day...we were on reduced lunches...spent them on three krispy kreme donuts in the morning and skipped lunch and played outside. I basically still do the same today at work.
Still sits behind me on an office shelf. Zorro carving a big "Z" into Sgt. Garcia's fat gut.
[Linked Image from hakes.com]

Seriously. First grade.
Originally Posted by 19352012
I got free lunch because I was poor.

Did you get the free breakfast too?

They let us shoot marbles first 30 mins of school while the little joe dirt kids ate their carnation breakfast bar and tang. 😃
Then in about 3rd grade i had to upgrade.
Had more groceries to tote.

Only 3rd grader that looked like i was headed in on 2nd shift at the saw mill going to lunch. 🤪😂

Do you realize what you can get out of the gate at the job with a playmate???

👍😂

them things will hold about 50 lbs of copper
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Barbie, she was HOT! Been a big titty man ever since.

Barbie's box?
Then in about 3rd grade i had to upgrade.
Had more groceries to tote.

Only 3rd grader that looked like i was headed in on 2nd shift at the saw mill going to lunch. 🤪😂

Still have one of those. Carried it to the jobs that put me through college.
If memory serve a Scoop doo lunch box.
Square metal Rat Patrol

Do you realize what you can get out of the gate at the job with a playmate???

👍😂

them things will hold about 50 lbs of copper

Hells bells....

2x sammiches
Bag o chips.
Apple sauce
2x fudge rounds
2x those Lil jugs imatation fruit flavored drinks.
Homemade ice pack.

I didn’t get to big Dave on accident. 🤪🤪😂🤪

Up in the J c Penney’s husky section.
Originally Posted by Steve
[Linked Image from hakes.com]

Seriously. First grade.

My brother loved that show. I think I was a little too young to appreciate it when it was airing.
Originally Posted by ledvm

Jonny Quest was about the coolest cartoon. Trivia: the voice of Jonny Quest was Tim Matheson or Erik "Otter" Stratton
Paper bag.
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Jonny Quest was about the coolest cartoon. Trivia: the voice of Jonny Quest was Tim Matheson or Erik "Otter" Stratton

My favorite cartoon as a kid.
Paper sack or a bread bag. Usually with a braunschweiger and mustard sammich, Vienna sausages, or that Buddig lunch meat. Cheap potato chips. Maybe a star crunch or fudge round if we were flush. Celery and peanut butter if not. Always looking to trade that damn braunschweiger for a PBJ, never successful. Winter was good, thermos might have ham and beans or chili, or spaghetti. Then the PBJ tycoons were all trying to get what I had. No way in hell.
HR Puff N Stuff sometime before 4th grade.
I kept a few collectables. I think that one probably got thrown out at some point.

A friend was asking about a feriday cage for a phone the other day. I bet that a metal box with properly layered metal duct tape would work.
Paper bag

Yep and reused.
http://https://www.justcollecting.com/lunchboxes/aladdin-h-r-pufnstuf-lunchbox

Cool. Jimmy is bearing a home made pepper spray weapon with Mayor MacCheese to his left.
He was fighting the toughest bad guys on the show here. I no doubt picked this for the dark fighting art work. Later I moved on to Frank Frazetta and Various Conan artists.
Started grade school with an Emergency lunch box. Still remember waiting for the bus with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Man only the well to do kids had lunch boxes
Cool thread and great memories.....it feels like just yesterday.

Nice job slumlord. 👍
Originally Posted by 79S
Man only the well to do kids had lunch boxes

BS, I was a dirty little trailer court kid. My Toughskins had holes in the knees as did my sneakers. Laffin!
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Mostly, I didn't. I worked in the cafeteria for meals, and got to save my lunch money.
Originally Posted by 1911a1

My favorite cartoon as a kid.

+1 on all the above.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I know that's not an authentic Batman lunchbox because where he hit the villain there's no "Kapow" or "Blamo" balloon.
Paper sack.
For Kindergarten I had an H.R. Pufnstuf lunchbox.
None!
Probably a paper bag. With wax paper wrapping a sandwich.

I can't remember.

I may have smoked some stuff in the 60's and 70's.

What's everyone else's excuse.

And WTF is lunch money???

parochial school I went to didn't have lunches available, bring your own damn food or starve. Made for good life lessons.
Originally Posted by jdunham
.... My Toughskins had holes in the knees as did my sneakers. Laffin!

Talk about high-tops!
First grade- MLB

Second and on until I got my tonsils out about 18 months later- Apollo 11

Originally Posted by rem141r
brown bag with apple butter sammiches every day for all 12 years of elementary skool. still hate apple butter

Potted meat sammiches with a couple deviled eggs for me. I still like potted meat on occasion and I can inhale a whole platter of deviled eggs.
I had a square metal,"LAND OF THE GIANTS" lunch box for first grade until fourth,then a paper bag. Grandma sliced a big chunk off of whatever we had for dinner the night before, put it on two thick slices of Bellentoni bakery bread with spicy mustard on one side,butter on the other,wrapped in wax paper,2 homemade cookies,carton of milk from school.eat what she packed or go hungry,your choice.
Lots of memories shook loose here for me but the most common was the wax paper and bringing home the lunch bags. I think milk was a nickel.
[Linked Image from southernfriedteachin.com]
Brown paper bag
Me and Roger Waters endured a similar trauma... shocked

Yep, took a LOOOOONG time to save $100 @ .25 a day!
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Mostly, I didn't. I worked in the cafeteria for meals, and got to save my lunch money.

5th&6th grade. My job was washing the pots and pans.
Got to leave class early.
In fact, I was pushing a cart of used trays and utensils to the kitchen when I heard JFK had been shot.
Soon as lunch was over, the nuns herded all of us across to the church to pray for his soul.
Then, I was late for class while I finished washing trays and utensils.
Square metal GI Joe for me in the 60's. Had to be a little tougher as a white boy with blonde hair on the rez.😁
Care to share?

slumlord;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day out east is a good one for you folks and all who matter in your world are well.

Thanks kindly for a positive thread, it's a much appreciated diversion in our fascinating times.

When I looked on the inner webs I couldn't find a photo of any that were exactly as I recalled them, but this is more or less what I had.

[Linked Image from s.ecrater.com]

They were plastic, with a plastic thermos type bottle in the top, held in with a fold out plastic arm that'd break right away so the water bottle would crush your white bread sandwiches.

It was always home made white bread, but they got crushed just the same. wink

Our small town schools didn't have a lunch counter - or a vending machine even - so any food came from home. There were two stores in town where snacks could be purchased - well three if you included the one gas station, but we weren't supposed to walk across the train tracks and highway to get to the gas station ever before junior high.

While I remember some of the kids having the square ones, it wasn't too many as I recall. Maybe it was a regional thing?

Oh, as we got older then the stickers would adorn the lunch kit like on the posted photo. It'd be snow machine and motorcycle stickers for the boys usually, some weird flowers and butterflies for the girls - it was the flower power age you see.

Thanks for the walk down another otherwise long forgotten path in my memory sir, I very much appreciate it.

Well, as Winnie the Pooh said, "I must be going now" as I've heard that a favorite mountain lake is frozen enough to drill holes in it, so I'm off to attempt to catch enough for a feed of perch.

All the best to you and yours.

Dwayne

Never had one.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
.45 cent hot lunch.

🦫

Same here bro

.40 cents

Best meal lil slumboy would get in the trailer park

School lunch favs

Big ice cream scoopie wad of spaghetti, hot giant fresh rolls, and orange with 35 seeds, chocolate mrlk.

Ice cream cup was extra, .15 cents

👍
Ice cream or milk was 5 cents when I was in elementary school. Don't remember what lunch was.
Hee Haw metal square box is the only one I can remember.
Hot lunch until integration, my old man told me to never touch much less eat anything a black person was near.
Paper bags for a few years until HS then I could walk to a greasy spoon grill down the road. Black lady cooking in the back.

I turned out ok........ crazy
What I take to work, everyday !

Never owned one. I always ate the school lunch, which was really good and made from scratch. I never saw pizza on the menu on the menu. Now it is once a week on the local school menu.
None of you muddaphuckas got free lunch from the government? Dont need to tote no lunchbox fo' dat.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
None of you muddaphuckas got free lunch from the government? Dont need to tote no lunchbox fo' dat.

LoL
My Mom taught in public schools for 32 years, she told me later on that all the teachers, cafeteria and office staff paid for the few kids that didn't have lunch money until integration came along. They couldn't afford it after that.

No free lunch here. But it was long enough ago that it cost a quarter. Probably worth more like a dime, LOL.

And my lunchbox was lightweight. It had to be, on account of it was 2 miles uphill both ways.
Rat Protrol, or a brown paper sack
This is the one all the cool kids had. I had my $0.45 for the hot lunch, like it or not.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image hosting free
First was a Six Million Dollar Man. Later had a King Kong, a Star Wars and a Universal Monsters, which I still have.
Originally Posted by smokepole

No free lunch here. But it was long enough ago that it cost a quarter. Probably worth more like a dime, LOL.

And my lunchbox was lightweight. It had to be, on account of it was 2 miles uphill both ways.

Through a foot of snow.
Metal square Roy Rogers. Still have the it.
The 1st day of 3rd grade a fifth grader tried to take my lunch. I hit him in the face w/ my Josh Randall lunch box and broke the thermos and the handle. When my folks were called in by the pastor and asked what they were going to do? My dad said I would start bringing my lunch in a paper bag if the priest would inform the would be thief about the relevant commandment. Brown bag w/ my name on it no other consequences.

mike r
Nothing through 8th grade-just a brown paper bag with a bologna sandwich and an apple. High school had a full time cook staff and cafeteria. Chicken cacciatore every Tuesday, red beans and rice every Wednesday, and fish sticks on Friday. 25 cents in the 60's. Or there was a Dairy Queen across the street where you could get a fountain drink for 10 cents and a hamburger with mustard and ketchup for 15 cents. Either way, lunch cost a quarter. By the time we were seniors, we drove to the local bar and got a cold pint for the same quarter. No drugs where I lived, just booze and beer.
They left us pretty much alone most of the time.
© 24hourcampfire