Home
Getting used to the thermal scope, and tried something new to me last night...

Calling hogs with an electronic caller.

It appears it works. This was the second place I called. Played the caller for about 5 minutes before he came in. Used the boar specific sounds on the Convergent Hunting app. Glenn Guess/Hog Zombies sounds.

Of course he was coming through the woods and wouldn't stop, and I nearly made a bad shot, but he didn't go far. Maybe 50 yards.

I'm not a good cinematographer... to say the least. But you get the idea of how it went down. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Was that a little shoat running like all hell to get away too?
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yeah, I didn't even see that one until after I shot! It was hauling ass! grin
Great video. I picked up a FLIR thermal last year. We go to TX from Wisconsin to hunt in February. I really like the thermal over digital night vision. We used to go to Alabama and pig hunt. We tried calling pigs with a e caller. I THINK it worked. We tried calling a couple places but nothing.
As we were walking out a boar about 125 pounds ran across an opening but for some unknown reason stopped right before it got to the thick stuff. I was able to hit it. I was using 95 gr Barnes TTSX out of a 6.8 SPC. We walked over to where the pig was standing and found a fair amount of blood. This was only our second year of pig hunting at that time so we were rookies still.
As deer hunters we thought well that is a fair amount of blood let's follow it. EXTREMELY thick undergrowth and next thing you know I have a boar grunting and kind of making a popping sound about 5 feet away in thick crap. I don't know if he charged as I really couldn't see him. I never got the gun to my shoulder before I let loose. several shots later it was over.
I refer to that as my redneck cape buffalo hunt. The pig could have been bigger but you have to work with what ya got:)
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Great video. I picked up a FLIR thermal last year. We go to TX from Wisconsin to hunt in February. I really like the thermal over digital night vision. We used to go to Alabama and pig hunt. We tried calling pigs with a e caller. I THINK it worked. We tried calling a couple places but nothing.
As we were walking out a boar about 125 pounds ran across an opening but for some unknown reason stopped right before it got to the thick stuff. I was able to hit it. I was using 95 gr Barnes TTSX out of a 6.8 SPC. We walked over to where the pig was standing and found a fair amount of blood. This was only our second year of pig hunting at that time so we were rookies still.
As deer hunters we thought well that is a fair amount of blood let's follow it. EXTREMELY thick undergrowth and next thing you know I have a boar grunting and kind of making a popping sound about 5 feet away in thick crap. I don't know if he charged as I really couldn't see him. I never got the gun to my shoulder before I let loose. several shots later it was over.
I refer to that as my redneck cape buffalo hunt. The pig could have been bigger but you have to work with what ya got:)

laugh

I hear ya!

The boar last night went into very thick brush. I'm pretty sure my dogs found him dead last night shortly after I shot it. But being dark, and thick brush, I waited to go find him this morning. Put the dogs out again, and they went straight to him.

But I wasn't gonna crawl into a thicket at night to find him last night... wink (I'd left my .45 at home.... maybe I need to start carrying it.)
This may sound crazy to some people but I would rather hunt pigs then deer. My Wisconsin brethren will probably disown me.
Cool video. Looks like the tree trunk you hit with the second round registered a heat signature after the shot. I thought it was maybe blood at first.
This may sound crazy to some people but I would rather hunt pigs then deer. My Wisconsin brethren will probably disown me.

I know I would. Hogs and coyotes both.

Didn't even shoot a deer this year.
You are a much smarter man then I am smile At night I think I would have reconsidered my choice and came back in the morning.

I hear ya!

The boar last night went into very thick brush. I'm pretty sure my dogs found him dead last night shortly after I shot it. But being dark, and thick brush, I waited to go find him this morning. Put the dogs out again, and they went straight to him.

But I wasn't gonna crawl into a thicket at night to find him last night... wink (I'd left my .45 at home.... maybe I need to start carrying it.)[/quote]
Originally Posted by JPro
Cool video. Looks like the tree trunk you hit with the second round registered a heat signature after the shot. I thought it was maybe blood at first.

Yeah, I was tracking the hog with the second shot and not watching the trees/brush. laugh

That bullet hole glowed for a couple of minutes after the shot! smile
I guess I did not make it clear that this was in the daytime sorry about that. Not to hijack the thread but I have since switched over to 120 GR Hornady SSTs for pig hunting. The 95GR TTSX will blow thru a pig but if you do not hit bone they do not seem to slow pigs down where the 120s seem to really hurt them and they don't go far.
I have a buddy that used a 62 gr fusion out of a 223 bolt action to kill a 200 plus pound white and black boar. shot it quartering away so it did not go thru the shield but behind it towards the off shoulder. 18-20 inches of penetration but very very little blood. This was a night hunt and we found it dead about 75 yards away. The bullet weighed 46 gr after recovery.Picture perfect mushroom but awful small compared to a 30 caliber bullet. I am not sure how it would have faired had he shot straight thru the shield.
My Wife wants to move south and TX is tops on our list for many reasons. Pigs are in the plus column. Just to let you know we are Conservatives and bring the right values:)
Thank you for posting these videos Rockinbbar.
I'm waiting on the right Pulsar to come into stock. Trail 2 with rangefinder. Once it does we will be in the thermal game.

Couldn't quite bring myself to buy hogster but hope you have good luck with it.

Will have to try calling down south in March I guess.
Thanks from me as well. Very cool videos and pretty fascinating what modern technology can do for hog hunting and then get it on video to boot.
That’s cool.
That is very cool!
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm waiting on the right Pulsar to come into stock. Trail 2 with rangefinder. Once it does we will be in the thermal game.

Couldn't quite bring myself to buy hogster but hope you have good luck with it.

Will have to try calling down south in March I guess.

Had to look high and low for the Bering Super Hogster. Finally found one in stock in Illinois...

Lots of things are out of stock, in all facets of life and consumer goods. I doubt it'll get better soon.

Happy with the Super Hogster. What you see in the viewer is clearer than it records. I think that is the case with most optics.
"Used the boar specific sounds"

What did it sound like? I used to have cassette tape for calling hogs but they never responded. It sounded like a bunch of hogs fighting. I didn't try it at night though.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I know I would. Hogs and coyotes both.

Didn't even shoot a deer this year.

Same here Barry. The hog sounds haven’t worked well for me. But my old Hadel’s Govt Trapper Jack Rabbit Call has called in more than a few hogs here on the Ranch.
My hogs must like to eat rabbits. 🤠
How about a picture of the rifle and scope?
Originally Posted by victoro

What did it sound like? I used to have cassette tape for calling hogs but they never responded. It sounded like a bunch of hogs fighting. I didn't try it at night though.

These are some of the sounds I use. They were recorded by Glenn Guess of Hog Zombies, over the course of several years and involving many more years research to know what sounds hogs or boars respond to.

As far as I know the only place you can get these specific sounds is Convergent Hunting. https://convergenthunting.com/apps-2/#1478919132033-d43c818f-9dca

They are an app for your phone, and you use Bluetooth to control the sounds on a speaker. I think I got the Hog Pro and Predator Pro apps and all the extra sounds for about $10.. smile
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yeah, I didn't even see that one until after I shot! It was hauling ass! grin

Fast as it was going I thought it might be a rabbit.
Originally Posted by DMc
How about a picture of the rifle and scope?

Here's another boar I killed this week. They were around a feeder, and I had to stalk up to get the shot.

AR10 in .308 & the Bering Optics thermal scope. The scope is very compact and light weight. That's an external battery I have on the side to run the scope, so I don't have to buy tons of batteries.

My usual poor video of the hogs... grin I didn't have the scope focused as well as I should have. frown

I just picked up a super Hogster and heading down to west TX to hog hunt. I downloaded some pig noises to my phone and bringing a blue tooth speaker and try it out if hunting is slow.
Originally Posted by victoro

These are some of the sounds I use. They were recorded by Glenn Guess of Hog Zombies, over the course of several years and involving many more years research to know what sounds hogs or boars respond to.

As far as I know the only place you can get these specific sounds is Convergent Hunting. https://convergenthunting.com/apps-2/#1478919132033-d43c818f-9dca

They are an app for your phone, and you use Bluetooth to control the sounds on a speaker. I think I got the Hog Pro and Predator Pro apps and all the extra sounds for about $10.. smile

How do you like the super Hogster? After research Bering Optics seems to produce the best product for the price point. I was going to go with a pulsar but seems Bering does a better job in the sub 4 k range.
That looks like a lot of scope for the money! I had never heard of them till now.
That looks like a lot of scope for the money! I had never heard of them till now.

I talked to one of their reps for 1/2 an hour and was impressed and the warranty and turn around is good supposedly
Originally Posted by ribka

I talked to one of their reps for 1/2 an hour and was impressed and the warranty and turn around is good supposedly

Yes, they are a lot of scope for the $$!

Ribka, I really like it. Very accurate too. I sighted in with 6 rounds total, including these last two shots... (Shooting a hand warmer)

I guess I did not make it clear that this was in the daytime sorry about that. Not to hijack the thread but I have since switched over to 120 GR Hornady SSTs for pig hunting. The 95GR TTSX will blow thru a pig but if you do not hit bone they do not seem to slow pigs down where the 120s seem to really hurt them and they don't go far.
I have a buddy that used a 62 gr fusion out of a 223 bolt action to kill a 200 plus pound white and black boar. shot it quartering away so it did not go thru the shield but behind it towards the off shoulder. 18-20 inches of penetration but very very little blood. This was a night hunt and we found it dead about 75 yards away. The bullet weighed 46 gr after recovery.Picture perfect mushroom but awful small compared to a 30 caliber bullet. I am not sure how it would have faired had he shot straight thru the shield.
My Wife wants to move south and TX is tops on our list for many reasons. Pigs are in the plus column. Just to let you know we are Conservatives and bring the right values:)

Our kind of folks!! Come on down and welcome. We have more hogs to hunt than mfg’s have rounds!
I just picked up a super Hogster and heading down to west TX to hog hunt. I downloaded some pig noises to my phone and bringing a blue tooth speaker and try it out if hunting is slow.

I just bought a JBL Clip3 for that very purpose. Waterproof and real good sound quality. Less than 50$.
Originally Posted by gkt5450

I just bought a JBL Clip3 for that very purpose. Waterproof and real good sound quality. Less than 50$.

Yeah, the Bluetooth speaker I got was $24.. Plus the sounds at $10... Major investment! smile
Interesting on Bering. Most of what a buddy and I and a cousin of mine read is Pulsar is the way to go.

I've played with pulsar enough to know that a sub 4000 dollar one is easily capable to 200 plus yards even in the daytime, on stuff coon size and bigger.

We just use black tape on a feed bag for a target in the sun. I'll have to remember the hand warmer.
Images look good through the SH Barry...I broke down and put one on order a couple weeks ago. Doesn’t mean I’ll be parting with my NV though...grin..

As good as Pulsar has been to me, I didn’t go back.
Originally Posted by rost495
Interesting on Bering. Most of what a buddy and I and a cousin of mine read is Pulsar is the way to go.

I've played with pulsar enough to know that a sub 4000 dollar one is easily capable to 200 plus yards even in the daytime, on stuff coon size and bigger.

We just use black tape on a feed bag for a target in the sun. I'll have to remember the hand warmer.

Jeff, IIRC, the D740 night vision scope I used when I was a govt hunter was a Bering. They aren't new to night vision, but relatively new with the thermal sporting optics.
Originally Posted by gkt5450

Yeah, the Bluetooth speaker I got was $24.. Plus the sounds at $10... Major investment! smile

Not as cheap as yelling "sooeeyyy" but ....probably better ! I gotta give a caller a try.
Getting used to the thermal scope, and tried something new to me last night...

Calling hogs with an electronic caller.

It appears it works. This was the second place I called. Played the caller for about 5 minutes before he came in. Used the boar specific sounds on the Convergent Hunting app. Glenn Guess/Hog Zombies sounds.

Of course he was coming through the woods and wouldn't stop, and I nearly made a bad shot, but he didn't go far. Maybe 50 yards.

I'm not a good cinematographer... to say the least. But you get the idea of how it went down. wink

Awesome video! Is that a camera mounted on a scope? I need to get a scope like that if that's what it is.
I have 2 Thermals, an XQ50 Thermion that is full time on a rifle (either 6.5 Grendel AR for pigs and coyotes, or a 243 bolt gun when I am serious about killing coyotes), and then I have a Hogster 35 I use as a part time scanner/part time backup rifle optic. Backup meaning one of my kids or friends wants to go with me.

For years I have used a Foxpro CS-24 for calling coyotes. This year though I wanted to get into not just spotting and stalking pigs, but calling them in as well. I bought the Convergent caller, studied up on Glenns sounds, and put the app on my phone. To be honest I have not given it a fair shake yet. I have only tried it a couple times with pigs so far and have not called any up. They were hurried sets, not optimal by any means. But I have used to Predator Pro app and called some coyotes with the Convergent. It has some good sounds, and really good sound quality. I have no doubt the Convergent system will work.

The next 2 months I will be hitting coyotes hard. But then I will swap over to pigs and really start trying to call them.
Originally Posted by Theeck

Awesome video! Is that a camera mounted on a scope? I need to get a scope like that if that's what it is.

Thank you!

It's far down the line as far as some professional hunt videos go.

But I just shoot and show raw footage as the hunt unfolds. I don't edit or add.

The scope itself takes video or a snap shot photo on command. Then you connect a cable from the scope to your computer and download the images & videos.
Great Vids Killer!!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Great Vids Killer!!

Thanks Man!

Waiting on you to come down here and show me how it's done!
The super Hogster model has recording capabilities already in the cope

Our kind of folks!! Come on down and welcome. We have more hogs to hunt than mfg’s have rounds! [/quote]

Thank you.

Our kind of folks!! Come on down and welcome. We have more hogs to hunt than mfg’s have rounds!

Thank you.
[/quote]

flying down today to Amarillo
That looks like so much fun, I *almost* wish we had hogs. 🤔
Well...if you did there in AK they would be big and wooly!! Be a darn sight cheaper than Grizz tags!!
There was a pen of porkies that escaped some years back. Being non-native, no closed season; no bag limit on them. Most, however, died through the course of a couple winters.
© 24hourcampfire